Start by marking “Reminiscences Of The Nehru Age” as Want to Read:
Reminiscences Of The Nehru Age

Reminiscences Of The Nehru Age

M.O. Mathai, Nehru's Special Assistant and alter ego between 1946 and 1959, was reputed to be the most powerful man after the Prime Minister during the years that he served Nehru.
Mathai was the only one to know everything about Nehru, most especially the first Prime Minister's private thoughts about Politics, Congress leaders, Bureaucrats, Money, Women, Sex, Alchohol along
299 pages
Published (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Reminiscences Of The Nehru Age, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Raji
Dec 05, 2011 Raji added it
This book is more than Nehru's private life. It contains valuable references to and insights into the events folding just after India's independence.

For a long time I searched for a hard copy of this book. I learnt in the process that it had been banned by the Govt. of India. Naturally, I was curious. My perseverance paid off and for a modest price I was able to download an electronic version of the book.

It is extremely informative and at the same time EXPLOSIVE to say the least. The author, Mr
Pooja Anand
I can finish this review only in few sentences. Everyone except the author and his boss i.e. Jawaharlal Nehru are corrupt, arrogant, lost, power hungry, naive, stupid, anti-India, anti-social and what not. Only Jawaharlal Nehru was and is the true son of India. Damn, after interesting initial say 10 chapters I started getting irritated....I could sense the course of the chapters....appreciate the PM and say bad things about others. One of the many things I want to say is about Sardar Patel, the ...more
RK Kuppala
Feb 12, 2013 RK Kuppala rated it it was amazing
Every Indian that grew up learning about the greatness of Nehru, MK Gandhi, Indira etc must read this book. No wonder Indian govt banned this book. Now I must find the other out of print, banned book written by Mr. Mathai.

This book is available as a free download here: http://archive.org/details/Reminiscen...

Why should you read him?

"Before I started writing this book, I suspended from my mind all personal loyalties of a conventional nature: Only my obligation to history remained.

I have made n
Sugan
May 04, 2016 Sugan rated it really liked it
I got attracted to this book only because I learned it was banned in India.

After reading this book now I have different opinion on Political leaders of India. Mathai explains his views on Nehru and the other political leaders of that time in this book. It is interesting to know the personal life of leaders whom we learn in books in schools.
Yogesh Saxena
May 25, 2012 Yogesh Saxena rated it it was amazing
GANDHI’S FAMILY TREE WORTH SPENDING 15 MINUTES TO READ
At the very beginning of his book, “The Nehru Dynasty”, astrologer K. N. Rao mentions the names of Jawahar Lal’s father and grandfather. Jawahar Lal’s father was believed to be Moti Lal and Moti Lal’s father was one Gangadhar Nehru. And we all know that Jawahar Lal’s only daughter was Indira Priyadarshini Nehru, Kamala Nehru was her mother, who died in Switzerland of tuberculosis. She was totally against Indira’s proposed marriage with Feroz
Bina Philip
Mar 20, 2015 Bina Philip rated it liked it
A must read for anybody who thought that any other political leader aside from Nehru could have better guided the early politics of India, post-independence. Who better to talk about the then political giants, than a man who worked closely with most of them. The biography comes across as form of truthful (sometimes brutally so) journalism more than anything else.
Ranjit Bisoyi
Feb 10, 2013 Ranjit Bisoyi marked it as to-read
Bugsmcw
Mar 27, 2009 Bugsmcw marked it as to-read
still reading
Pramod Ks
Feb 22, 2016 Pramod Ks rated it it was amazing
Mathai has collected his life experiences during his tenure in the Government under J.Nehru and penned them into this book. The author does not shy away from positive or negative things about Indian political history and vividly describes quite a bit of revealing information about the following political figures from his time: MK Gandhi, Nehru, Sardar Patel, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Indira Gandhi, Vijayalakshmi Pandit, Padmaja Naidu, Rajendra Prasad, VK Krishna Menon to name a few. This is ...more
Dr.Janu Dominic SwamiKannu Nehru
This book was one of the sources that provided me with insight to my history which enlightened me to realize who I am, that I am the relative of Jawaharlal Nehru (grand daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru).
Mr. M. O. Mathai's (First Secretary to Jawaharlal Nehru) narrative of his reminiscences of the Nehru Age is interesting and fascinating, a first hand close up/personal view of Jawaharlal Nehru, his views, the people whom he interacted with on a daily basis and that were close to his heart.
A very int
Bharath Kumar
May 01, 2016 Bharath Kumar rated it it was amazing
This book gives a great overview of leaders in India around Indian independence and post-independence days. The author is also unbiased in taking strong and moral stance in many issues, some of which could be disagreed by many. Overall a great book to read and understand minds of leaders and people in those times.
En
Oct 15, 2012 En rated it liked it
Just finished reading this book and anyone remotely interested in the history of India and the lies that the apostle of truth MK Gandhi forgot to mention in his books...plus check out the Nehru/Gandhi family tree (google it if you dnt want to read the book)
Sarad Pradhan
Wanna know about Nehru and his sex life. Read it.. written by PA of Nehru, it tells so many things about Nehru and most importantly about his sex life that nobody dares to write now..
Rupali
Rupali rated it did not like it
Sep 30, 2015
Gopalakrishnan Iyer
Gopalakrishnan Iyer rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Udhayakumaran
Udhayakumaran rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Anju
Anju rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2012
Julin Jb
Julin Jb rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Chandrakant Dave
Chandrakant Dave rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Jyotsna Chandra
Jyotsna Chandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
Akhil Upadhyay
Akhil Upadhyay rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Divyang Pandya
Divyang Pandya rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Dhiraj Goverdhanam
Dhiraj Goverdhanam rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Swati
Swati rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Chandra Sekhara
Chandra Sekhara rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Jyoti Dabas
Jyoti Dabas rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Shreya Girotra
Shreya Girotra rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Koushik Kr
Koushik Kr rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2011
  • Persons, Passions & Politics
  • Shikhandi and Other Stories They Don't Tell You
  • An Indian Dynasty: The Story of the Nehru-Gandhi Family
  • Durbar
  • The Wonder That Was India: A Survey of the History and Culture of the Indian Sub-Continent from the Coming of the Muslims to the British Conquest 1200-1700  Volume-2.
  • Lucknow Boy: A Memoir
  • An Autobiography: Toward Freedom
  • Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire
  • Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru Gandhi
  • India: From Midnight to the Millennium and Beyond
  • Leave Your Mark: Land Your Dream Job. Kill It in Your Career. Rock Social Media.
  • Beyond the Lines: An Autobiography
  • The Kaoboys & R&AW: Down Memory Lane
  • This Unquiet Land
  • The Elephant Paradigm: India Wrestles With Change
M.O. Mathai aka 'Mac' was assistant to India's first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. Mathai worked with the United States Army in India before becoming an assistant to Nehru in 1946.
He was a Madras University graduate working in Assam when he wrote to Nehru soon after Nehru's release from prison in 1945, offering his services. Subsequently, Nehru met him in Assam and after some leisurely talks i
More about M.O. Mathai...