Start by marking “The Wide Smiles of Girls” as Want to Read:
The Wide Smiles of Girls

The Wide Smiles of Girls

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Sisters Mae Wallace and March are two years apart, and worlds away from being anything alike. Mae Wallace is the dependable, older sister, who weighs her words before she speaks, and sees the world as a project to be saved. March, happily overweight and charismatic, has the world on a string. Babies, men, and teachers love March, and she loves them right back. Mae Wallace ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wide Smiles of Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wide Smiles of Girls

Grace
This story was weak overall. It started with potential and at several different points the story could have gone a few different directions that would have held more promise. This main character, Mae Wallace, is emotionally stunted and overly obsessed with her younger sister. She sees her through rainbow colored glasses and allows herself to be verbally and emotionally abused by her sister. Typically when we grow up the relationships we have with family members we no longer live with change, som ...more
Sarah Beth
The Wide Smiles of Girls is about the bond (or lack thereof) between sisters Mae Wallace and March. Mae Wallace, who narrates the story, is the responsible and predictable older sister. March is the younger, vivacious, voluptuous younger sister who is impulsive and constantly falling in and out of love. When March has a tragic accident, it transforms their relationship and both of their lives dramatically.

Following March's accident, Mae Wallace quits her job and leaves her home and boyfriend Vi
Brooke
This book started off better than it finished. Learning about Mae's and March's relationship at the beginning of the book was interesting, however the large span of years between the chapters did not allow the reader to gain a strong sense of their relationship. The rest of the book really didn't go anywhere until the end. I felt that certain relationships were rushed and was somewhat disappointed that the author decided to neatly wrap everything up.
Sara
I liked this story of two sisters who were close and are torn apart by circumstances. Anyone who has a sister can relate. Sometimes you just want to yell at the two women to JUST COMMUNICATE!!!!! But, of course, that's easier said than done even in real life. Fenske is a good story-teller; she provides enough detail and images so we feel like we are present. Overall, a great read for summer vacation :)
Kendra
Meh.

I felt like this could have been a very good book about sisters and love and tragedy and whatnot...but the author isn't a strong enough writer to create something interesting instead of something that felt very "what's the point?" I was bored.
JoAnn/QuAppelle
At first this was a 4 then a 3, then a 4 again. Now I am giving it a 3+. Indecisive.

But I did read it in a little more than a day, so I would say it held my interest.

Not a bad story, interesting locale. Good character development.

marsha
This was interesting because the main character allowed others in her family to define her, and it resulted in a lot of unhappiness. Not a fantastic book, but the message hit home!
Nancy
an easy read that follows the difficulties of sisterhood...it was okay for reading in car while waiting to pick-up sisters with their own difficulties (my kids)
Lisa Griffin
Confession. I'm friends with the author. Way to go Jen for the writing this book while pregnant, working full-time and managing a toddler at home.
Courtney
This one started slow, but then picked up just a little bit. I liked the story, but didn't really connect with any of the characters.
Becky
I liked the middle of this book the best! The beginning was kind of slow and I didn't really care for the ending!
MeaLenea Homer
This is one of the best books I've ever read. To anyone who has a sister, this book is for you. -Life changing
Tiffany Peck
This started out as a good read but the ending got a little lost for me.It wasn't believable ending.I was disappointed.
Samantha Randall
I really liked this book. Very good for something I just randomly picked up from a library shelf.
Penny
It was a really good story, well written, and best of all, no swearing!!!
Amber
Good. Not great or amazing, but a decent book with decent characters.
Missy  Miller
So sad...ithad potential but went nowhere....could be a good movie
Jo
gentle read of the complex relationships in families...
Kc
Cute, but sad. . . about 2 sisters growing up together
Lpholley
Aug 22, 2009 Lpholley is currently reading it
like it so far! quick read
Christine
It was a lesson in communication. So many times we think we are communicating, but the other person really doesn't understand our meaning. It would save a lot of heartache if we would learn to be clear in our communication. It was good, but it kind of dragged along, I think the author wants to make a sequel, she left a lot of unresolved issues...
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Kitty Tomlinson
Kitty Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Yolanda
Yolanda marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jennifer Manske Fenske is the author of the novel, Toss the Bride. Her essays have been published in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Arizona Republic, and Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel as well as New Parent and The Lutheran magazines.
Jennifer is a graduate of Clemson University, where she studied fiction writing with Mark Steadman. She received her M.A. degree at the State University of New York a
More about Jennifer Manske Fenske...
Toss the Bride Toss the Bride Merchandising Kit

“Sometimes you go through life and the wrong thing happens.” 3 likes
“I missed him often with a fierce longing, and then sometimes I didn't.” 2 likes