Start by marking “The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan: How to Take Charge, Build Your Team, and Get Immediate Results” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,770 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This volume features an easy-to-follow action plan and timelines, from the build-up to starting a new job through to the 100th day in the position. The authors draw on cases and examples to show leaders and boards how to deliver fast results while also building high performing teams with lasting power.
Published February 3rd 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan

Steve
Feb 04, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone taking on a new job or a new leadership role
This book is highly useful and straightforward. The content is focused on developing an effective plan and why, with a minimum on filler stories and narratives which serve to stretch most business books to a requisite number of pages to qualify as a "book" instead of an article. There is an overall summary, as well as summaries for each section and chapter.
Patrick
This book is pretty much just as the title says. It's a self-onboarding guide for people moving into a new leadership position. At this, I felt it was both too detailed and not detailed enough.

It was too detailed in that there were many detailed plans that seemed like they may fit certain situations, but definitely not others. It was not detailed enough in that many steps in the plans were distressingly high level.

A couple of minor gripes: this falls into the category of business books that com
Omar Manejwala
Dec 27, 2012 Omar Manejwala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually bought this book prior to starting a new senior level leadership role and found it to be extremely helpful. The advice is very practical and I found that sticking to the recommendations made my first 100 days very successful. I would recommend this, with the caveat that if you are starting a new leadership position, particularly large organization/senior level, that you finish reading it well before you start, even before you interview.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A should-read book new managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Phillip Elliott
There are some great ideas and thoughts in this book. I am happy to have read it. It was light on preparation ideas. How does one research and plan, and I thought it was long on the actual implementation or execution. The Book had good information about communications. I liked the information even though one could argue that its old information that was covered better someplace else. I would argue that good ideas are worth repeating, and this is the right place to express those ideas.
Beverly McCall
Dec 09, 2013 Beverly McCall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As part of new job I took, this book was on the reading list. New Leader’s 100-day Action Plan by Bradts, Check & Pedraza wrote this guide to assist executives in their transition into their new leadership role. They introduce the reader to a new lens that looks at their strengths and their challenges. They go a step further and provide case studies and advice as well as sample planning tools. The culminating activity that the reader walks away with is a 100-day Action Plan. In some circles ...more
Simon Gianoutsos
Jun 19, 2014 Simon Gianoutsos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Lots of good advice with a key point being that planning is required before you start and the importance of Day 1. Some sections were however too high level in terms of being practical.
The Lion King
Apr 28, 2015 The Lion King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical and clearly drawn from real life experiences

As a current CEO bows moving to run another organisation, I found this book incredibly insightful, I formative with real life solutions and suggestions. My only regret is that I wish I had found it sooner before I became CEO for the first time. Highly recommended
Alabi Adewale
Oct 02, 2015 Alabi Adewale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reliable and straightforward format to follow to lead right.
Aasim Waheed
Feb 29, 2016 Aasim Waheed rated it liked it
I found this one better than the "90-day plan"
Crissman Loomis
Mar 10, 2013 Crissman Loomis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book on the most important actions to take as a leader in a new job. Read this before starting your new job, or you'll regret some of the things you'll realise you could have done to improve your position. The book marks the the big winners that often people don't do, like meeting with the key stakeholders before your official first day.

Just the approach to weekly staff meetings alone is worth reading the book for. I can't wait to implement in my company.

A must read for all executives.
Christopher
Nov 18, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am using this book as a guideline to getting a better job in my field. So far it has offered nothing but excellent advice on securing a job, negotiating a salary, and how to spend your first 100 days on the job to secure a solid long term position with the company.

I would read this in Junior year of college so you are prepared before entering the job market. I showed this book to a few people who were upset they missed out on such useful information.
Caroline Gordon
Fabulous book, put this on your must read list if you are looking for a job or about to change jobs. It has the best interview advice I have read anywhere, and lots of advice for leaders of all levels. It is suitable for front line managers as well as executives. There is specific advice to follow before you start and during your first 30, 60 and 90 days on the job.
Matt
Nov 25, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
Great "cookbook" format that offers practical step-by-step advice to managers newly hired or promoted. Most interesting is how this book stresses accountability on the new hire to create his or her own best onboarding experience, rather than leave it to the employer.
Christie
If you are starting, or planning to start a new job, this book is a really FABULOUS resource for plaing your cards right and providing valuable insight to "weasle" your way up the top of the corporate ladder. Really, it's a great book.
Mohammed
Feb 22, 2013 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book overall was an eigh openner. I didn't expect that the first 100 days had this importanse. The book is an idle action plan for those moving to a new leadership role weather external or internally within thier organizations.
Brenda
Nov 29, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear, practical guide on stepping into a new leadership role. Gives you worksheets and tools to actually implement the principles and lays out what to do before day 1, day 30, day 60, and day 100. Great tool!
Terence
Mar 16, 2013 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-read
Started off great with numerous helpful insights. It seems like the author has the most experience postulating people for new leadership roles. Unfortunately the final two-thirds of the book want as good.
Lauren
I read this because I had heard good things. I found the first 90 days to be better for where I am. I did speed read this in it's entirety, though, and found a few useful bits.
Nigel
Dec 19, 2011 Nigel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this review would be adequate by saying if the title of the book was shark sandwich, this review would be only sh*t sandwich.
Jan 09, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Good book...I hope to offer to new leaders in our company when they accept a new leadership position!
Randolph Breschini
Jul 21, 2015 Randolph Breschini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent book for organizing those first 100-days!
Bruce Flanagan
Mar 05, 2011 Bruce Flanagan rated it it was amazing
I also use this book in some coaching situations
Steve
Aug 04, 2012 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A number of interesting nuggets
John
Jul 23, 2011 John added it
Shelves: put-down
I never finished it.
Vesko
Vesko rated it it was amazing
Racquel
Racquel is currently reading it
Nguyễn Hoàng
Nguyễn Hoàng rated it it was amazing
Myo Ko
Myo Ko rated it it was amazing
Ho Tro
Ho Tro rated it it was amazing
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Total Leadership: Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More

“A title or promotion does not make anyone a leader. Leadership emerges from the character, qualities, and capacities of the individual. Make no mistake about it, authentic leadership is personal.” 1 likes
“One undeniably crucial skill for all leaders is communication. Leadership and communication are inextricably related.” 0 likes