Start by marking “The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1)

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  713 ratings  ·  54 reviews
FIGHTING FANTASY is the brilliant series of adventure gamebooks in which YOU are the hero! Decide which monsters to fight, which paths to take, who to trust and when to run. Can you survive the clutches of the hideous Bloodbeast, or defeat a noxious inhuman Orc? Deep in the caverns beneath Firetop Mountain lies an untold wealth of treasure, guarded by a powerful Warlock -o ...more
Published October 1st 1984 by Dell Pub Co (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

Jason Koivu
"NERD!!!"...There. Now that we've got that out of the way, allow me to continue...

I bought this Dungeons & Dragons style game book years ago in a shop on (or maybe just off) the high street in St. Albans while on honeymoon in England. And to answer the obvious question that follows...yes, my wife is an unusually understanding woman.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is apparently a classic of the fantasy adventure gamebook sort. *shrugs* What did I know? When I picked it up I thought it was on
Kids today eh? They're far too busy playing finely tuned, graphically superior, deeply immersive games like Skyrim to appreciate what a real gaming experience should be like. Back in my day if you wanted to fight a Dragon you had to have a real Adventure that looked and played something like this.

Us intrepid block-like Adventurers set out to steal the magic cup of greatness from the evil black castle armed only with a trusty spear. The evil roaring dragon would smite you whole if you were not ca
David Sarkies
Jul 09, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gamer Geeks
Recommended to David by: My primary school bookclub
Shelves: gamebook
The first Fighting Fantasy gamebook
9 June 2012

This is the first of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and I remember that it was first introduced to me in primary school as an offering in a book club. As soon as I read the blurb that said that it was a fantasy adventure in which you are the hero I immediately know that I wanted it and sure enough my parents bought it for me. Soon though, more began to appear on the shelves and I went out of my way to begin collecting them. There were originally 60
Murray Dixon
Full commentary at

Ultimately, "Warlock" comes off as a series of interesting but disconnected encounters playing out in a largely bland, unembellished environment. Firetop Mountain seems like dungeon equivalent of a newly completed office building, all fitted out but with scant contents and zero character. I never really had a coherent sense of what was happening or why.

I found myself wondering how all of these creatures get by and what kind of relationships they have
Not the BEST title but the FIRST!
"The Warlock of Firetop Mountain" is an interesting gamebook with great moments and also frustrating scenes. It's not a elaborated game with complex story, I saw way much better in other titles of the series. I think this book was just a little experiment from the creators without exploiting the true potential of this kind of books.
Difficulty is satisfying, but the book is full of uninteresting entries. There's to much direction choices like "If you want to go ea
Sep 12, 2011 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gamers, fantasy fans, young adults
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
This was the first book of the "Fighting Fantasy Gamebook" series, which was one of the most successful attempts at replicating role playing games in a solo environment prior to the technology which allowed computer games to take over this role. As a first book, however, it naturally had some bugs, which would be worked out in later additions to the series. This hasn't stopped it from being enormously popular, and spawning both a board game and a computer game.
The basic premise of the book is th
I suppose that this being the first gamebook in the series, it would have noticeable flaws. I bought it on the App Store at a discount on a whim, and this being a book review site, I'll refrain from commenting on the application itself.

The overall plot itself was pretty shallow. The entire premise could've been substituted with different keywords and you wouldn't have noticed much difference: The (generic villain guarding treasure) of (any dungeon that can hold treasure). I would actually substi
I was a big fan of the Lone Wolf and TSR's Endless Quest books back when I was in elementary school, but it was only recently that I encountered Britain's venerable Fighting Fantasy series. It's very much a product of its time, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Like Lone Wolf, these game books pair Choose Your Own Adventure style interactivity with a simple conflict resolution system. It requires the use of six-sided dice, unlike Lone Wolf (which uses a pencil and a printed grid in the book as its rando
Full playthrough and review at

Very much a classic plot – adventurer enters dungeon for no particular reason other than to loot the place of all its treasure and become a hero. Forgiveable given this book’s status as the first Fighting Fantasy book, but perhaps having been spoiled by much less shallow plots in more recent gamebooks, it doesn’t grab me in the same way. For some this gamebook might represent a gateway to a much-loved hobby, but in my case it wasn’t the
Neil Thomson
The game book that launched the Fighting a Fantasy series, Firetop Mountain not surprisingly drew on the fantasy genre to kick things off and has some nods to Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons along the way.

Whilst not a particularly difficult book in the series, this one is fun to map and was challenging due to one labyrinthine section.

A must read for fans of FF Gamebooks for no other reason that it was where it all started.

Jackson and Livingston returned to Firetop Mountain and the central vil
If the truth is to be known, these books are fun at first. Sadly, however, they quickly grow old.

If you have experienced one of these kinds of books you have experienced them all. Whilst the stories differ, the effect they have upon a person is the same across the board. You have fun for a while and then they are put aside.

It is okay to pick up one or two throughout your life but I would not recommend going out of your way to buy them en masse. As for which one(s) you pick up… well, that is a c
Shane Jeffery
I know there’s a lot of old school gamers out there, but it doesn’t get more old school than Fighting Fantasy. Before computer graphics, sound and animation gave people the ultimate interactive experience, there were these Choose Your Own Adventure books where you used your imagination. I was first introduced to Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was about eight or nine years old, and I started with the ones where you just made choices that directed course through the story. The series Fight ...more
Michael Kelly
My nostalgia trip continues...

This was the original, the very first Fighting Fantasy gamebook. It was a classic D&D style dungeon adventurer, and it needed to be in order to succeed. It had to be all things to all men. As such, the encounters are pretty random and the dungeon ecosystem makes very little sense when you stop to think about it. But it was new and it was exciting. It was positively exhilarating! And above all, it was fun.

It's still fun today. It took me three playthroughs to suc
I liked playing/reading this 'fighting fantasy' as a kid, at least I did until one of the pages fell out and got lost and completely ruined the game!
David Nichols
Valorar este tipo de libros siempre es difícil. Debo reconocer que yo los encuentro muy divertidos, haciéndome mis propios mapas, tirando los dados para los enfrentamientos o tomando decisiones según los numerillos. De niño tuve varios de estos y los disfruté bastante, pero a día de hoy me siguen pareciendo un entretenimiento bastante curioso.

Desde luego si lo calificase como "Libro" sin más, se quedaría con una estrella. Sus autores no son precisamente grandes escritores, y tampoco es que prop
Douglas Swy
The worst part of this book is the beginning, but that's the same for any game you have to go over the rules and learn how it works, but that's just it from there on this book had me hooked. Don't expect to survive, it's the best thing about the game. Survival games that want you to die seem to be the best survival games, and this is no different. I say survival yes I know this is an adventure, but I didn't feel like it was. It was my fight, my struggle to survive in this strange world. The trea ...more
I was in a dilemma when reading this book. It’s not a normal book; it’s kind of a game book, where you decide yourselves what the character should do next and turn to the page chosen. I tried playing properly at 1st, following the rules and stuff, and I end up with the following results:
1) lost somewhere dark and scary
2) trapped somewhere dark and scary
3) died in a horrible way

So I tried breaking the rules a bit, writing down my routes, going back to the pages before if I ever end up somewhere l
I found this excruciating; just ended up going round in circles in the maze. Act silly gave up without being killed, something I've never done before in a FF book.

It might have been the original, but I've never been a big fan of this one.
I really loved the FF series as a kid - and I am re-discovering them now as kindle editions.

I recently played this (I guess replayed, but it's been so long...) and found it took me about a dozen tries to understand every details about the dungeon. Truly, there is a 'correct path' to take that makes it fairly easy to beat - but figuring out that path takes multiple tries. It can be beat, with some luck on dice rolls, even with sub-optimal choices. So I guess, without offering spoilers, my advice
A parte do labirinto fez-me desistir muitas vezes. Mas finalmente tentei usar uma técnica de virar sempre à esquerda e parece que funcionou.
Essa parte do labirinto era sem dúvida a parte mais complicada do livro.
Scott King
Points for the sheer nostalgia, but beyond that it isn't terribly well written. The first in the series and it shows with the encounters having no logic behind them and the rules applied haphazardly.
This was the very first (I believe) 'choose your own adventure' books. I played before computer games (not that there weren't computer games, just before I had played any, if you follow?
Paul Griggs
A blast from the past. Decided to start re-reading the FF books as a little project. Low skill score meant I had little chance once the monsters got more powerful. #BookWin
R.M.F Brown
Memory lane

In the days of pen and paper, when apple was nothing more than a fruit to eat, and a PC was a policeman, kids had to find other forms of entertainment. Enter the fighting fantasy series.

Firetop Mountain is where the dream began, where you had to fight the temptation not to cheat and flick ahead a few pages to see if your choice was the correct one, and where the sleeping troll always had a knack of waking up and giving you a smack off the chops!

These books were once the stuff dreams
Calvin Daniels
Danged ghoul got me. I died under Firetop Mountain.

More fun than I had expected. The book would probably give you a couple of read/plays before it became to 'known' to be fair.
I remember this as the first of the long-running FIGHTING FANTASY gamebooks that allowed kids to chart their own adventures in various fantasy worlds. Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone did themselves proud with this one; they essentially took a typical adventurers-explore-dungeon story and made it interactive years before computer games would reach the same level of realism.

This tale is basic, but good. It has the elements that would become popularised later in the series: dungeons, traps, monst
One of the first 'build your own adventure' books. Don't think it was for me and I never tried any more.
So it was the first of an epic series of adventures that many of remember fondly, but it is also one of the poorest in the entire FF library.

The game plays out as a set of fairly random encounters including one agonisingly irritating maze right in the centre of the book. It was obvious that Jackson was finding his feet with the whole concept and it shows on revisiting.

I could only recommend this for anyone who wants to complete their collection but not to anyone iterested in playing these games
One of the most amazing things to happen in my childhood! So many happy hours...
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)
  • Seas of Blood (Fighting Fantasy, #16)
  • Grey Star the Wizard (The World of Lone Wolf, #1)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.
More about Steve Jackson...

Fighting Fantasy (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • The Citadel Of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy, #3)
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, #4)
  • City Of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy, #5)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy, #7)
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy, #11)