The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1)

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  38 reviews
FIGHTING FANTASY is the brilliant series of adventure gamebooks in which YOU are the hero! Decide which monsters to fight, which paths to take, who to trust and when to run. Can you survive the clutches of the hideous Bloodbeast, or defeat a noxious inhuman Orc? Deep in the caverns beneath Firetop Mountain lies an untold wealth of treasure, guarded by a powerful Warlock -o...more
Published October 1st 1984 by Dell Pub Co (first published January 1st 1982)

Jason Koivu
I bought this Dungeons & Dragons style game book years ago in a shop on (or maybe just off) the high street in St. Albans while on honeymoon in England. And to answer the obvious question that follows...yes, my wife is an unusually understanding woman.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain is apparently a classic of the fantasy adventure gamebook sort. *shrugs* What did I know? When I picked it up I thought it was one of those old-school Choose Your Own Adventure kind of books. Alas no. This lays...more
Alex
Kids today eh? They're far too busy playing finely tuned, graphically superior, deeply immersive games like Skyrim to appreciate what a real gaming experience should be like. Back in my day if you wanted to fight a Dragon you had to have a real Adventure that looked and played something like this.

Us intrepid block-like Adventurers set out to steal the magic cup of greatness from the evil black castle armed only with a trusty spear. The evil roaring dragon would smite you whole if you were not ca...more
Murray Dixon
Full commentary at www.turnto400.blogspot.com

Ultimately, "Warlock" comes off as a series of interesting but disconnected encounters playing out in a largely bland, unembellished environment. Firetop Mountain seems like dungeon equivalent of a newly completed office building, all fitted out but with scant contents and zero character. I never really had a coherent sense of what was happening or why.

I found myself wondering how all of these creatures get by and what kind of relationships they have...more
Luís
Not the BEST title but the FIRST!
"The Warlock of Firetop Mountain" is an interesting gamebook with great moments and also frustrating scenes. It's not a elaborated game with complex story, I saw way much better in other titles of the series. I think this book was just a little experiment from the creators without exploiting the true potential of this kind of books.
Difficulty is satisfying, but the book is full of uninteresting entries. There's to much direction choices like "If you want to go ea...more
Shane Jeffery
I know there’s a lot of old school gamers out there, but it doesn’t get more old school than Fighting Fantasy. Before computer graphics, sound and animation gave people the ultimate interactive experience, there were these Choose Your Own Adventure books where you used your imagination. I was first introduced to Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was about eight or nine years old, and I started with the ones where you just made choices that directed course through the story. The series Fight...more
Donna
I liked playing/reading this 'fighting fantasy' as a kid, at least I did until one of the pages fell out and got lost and completely ruined the game!
Michael
Sep 12, 2011 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gamers, fantasy fans, young adults
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
This was the first book of the "Fighting Fantasy Gamebook" series, which was one of the most successful attempts at replicating role playing games in a solo environment prior to the technology which allowed computer games to take over this role. As a first book, however, it naturally had some bugs, which would be worked out in later additions to the series. This hasn't stopped it from being enormously popular, and spawning both a board game and a computer game.
The basic premise of the book is th...more
David
I suppose that this being the first gamebook in the series, it would have noticeable flaws. I bought it on the App Store at a discount on a whim, and this being a book review site, I'll refrain from commenting on the application itself.

The overall plot itself was pretty shallow. The entire premise could've been substituted with different keywords and you wouldn't have noticed much difference: The (generic villain guarding treasure) of (any dungeon that can hold treasure). I would actually substi...more
David Sarkies
Jun 09, 2012 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gamer Geeks
Recommended to David by: My primary school bookclub
Shelves: gamebook
This is the first of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and I remember that it was first introduced to me in primary school as an offering in a book club. As soon as I read the blurb that said that it was a fantasy adventure in which you are the hero I immediately know that I wanted it and sure enough my parents bought it for me. Soon though, more began to appear on the shelves and I went out of my way to begin collecting them. I believe 40 were originally written (though I suspect that there may b...more
Tonk82
Valorar este tipo de libros siempre es difícil. Debo reconocer que yo los encuentro muy divertidos, haciéndome mis propios mapas, tirando los dados para los enfrentamientos o tomando decisiones según los numerillos. De niño tuve varios de estos y los disfruté bastante, pero a día de hoy me siguen pareciendo un entretenimiento bastante curioso.

Desde luego si lo calificase como "Libro" sin más, se quedaría con una estrella. Sus autores no son precisamente grandes escritores, y tampoco es que prop...more
Phil
I was a big fan of the Lone Wolf and TSR's Endless Quest books back when I was in elementary school, but it was only recently that I encountered Britain's venerable Fighting Fantasy series. It's very much a product of its time, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Like Lone Wolf, these game books pair Choose Your Own Adventure style interactivity with a simple conflict resolution system. It requires the use of six-sided dice, unlike Lone Wolf (which uses a pencil and a printed grid in the book as its rando...more
Douglas Swy
The worst part of this book is the beginning, but that's the same for any game you have to go over the rules and learn how it works, but that's just it from there on this book had me hooked. Don't expect to survive, it's the best thing about the game. Survival games that want you to die seem to be the best survival games, and this is no different. I say survival yes I know this is an adventure, but I didn't feel like it was. It was my fight, my struggle to survive in this strange world. The trea...more
Paul
Full playthrough and review at http://torallion.blogspot.com

Very much a classic plot – adventurer enters dungeon for no particular reason other than to loot the place of all its treasure and become a hero. Forgiveable given this book’s status as the first Fighting Fantasy book, but perhaps having been spoiled by much less shallow plots in more recent gamebooks, it doesn’t grab me in the same way. For some this gamebook might represent a gateway to a much-loved hobby, but in my case it wasn’t the...more
Matthew King
One of my all time favourite books and the first of a 50 plus volume series of this style of book. You choose how to progress through the story, hopefully navigating through to a successful conclusion. Well written and atmospheric. I still read it sometimes now, many years later. And yes I still cheat on the dice rolls too!
Saravannan
I was in a dilemma when reading this book. It’s not a normal book; it’s kind of a game book, where you decide yourselves what the character should do next and turn to the page chosen. I tried playing properly at 1st, following the rules and stuff, and I end up with the following results:
1) lost somewhere dark and scary
2) trapped somewhere dark and scary
3) died in a horrible way

So I tried breaking the rules a bit, writing down my routes, going back to the pages before if I ever end up somewhere l...more
Veljko
I really loved the FF series as a kid - and I am re-discovering them now as kindle editions.

I recently played this (I guess replayed, but it's been so long...) and found it took me about a dozen tries to understand every details about the dungeon. Truly, there is a 'correct path' to take that makes it fairly easy to beat - but figuring out that path takes multiple tries. It can be beat, with some luck on dice rolls, even with sub-optimal choices. So I guess, without offering spoilers, my advice...more
Scott King
Points for the sheer nostalgia, but beyond that it isn't terribly well written. The first in the series and it shows with the encounters having no logic behind them and the rules applied haphazardly.
R.M.F Brown
Memory lane

In the days of pen and paper, when apple was nothing more than a fruit to eat, and a PC was a policeman, kids had to find other forms of entertainment. Enter the fighting fantasy series.

Firetop Mountain is where the dream began, where you had to fight the temptation not to cheat and flick ahead a few pages to see if your choice was the correct one, and where the sleeping troll always had a knack of waking up and giving you a smack off the chops!

These books were once the stuff dreams...more
Graham
I remember this as the first of the long-running FIGHTING FANTASY gamebooks that allowed kids to chart their own adventures in various fantasy worlds. Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone did themselves proud with this one; they essentially took a typical adventurers-explore-dungeon story and made it interactive years before computer games would reach the same level of realism.

This tale is basic, but good. It has the elements that would become popularised later in the series: dungeons, traps, monst...more
Ant
One of the most amazing things to happen in my childhood! So many happy hours...
Jonathan-David Jackson
My wife played through some of these books in her childhood and recently got a few of them to reminisce through, so we've been playing them together. I was annoyed by the maze part of this book because it's very hard to map out since some parts don't actually match up, and the gold you get is useless, but I've since read that it was the first book in the series so I can forgive a few mis-steps, and until we got frustrated with the maze we did enjoy mapping it out.
Russell
I'm only going to rate one of these books as I believe I read all 59.

They're basically a "Choose your own adventure" except you kill creatures in a lord of the rings-esque environment.

From age 9 to 12 my life was consumed by these books. I would even draw a map using graph paper to further engross myself in the adventure.

Man, I loved these books!

Man, I was such a nerd!

Weathervane
I'm not sure I could ever read another one of these books. I like the atmosphere and the dungeon-crawl approach, but almost everything is based on chance, and it just gets tedious. Lone Wolf blends gameplay with story; in Fighting Fantasy, story is slave to gameplay, and the game isn't that compelling.
Douglas Koehne
Fun adventure, played it with my kids (also played it years ago as a teenager). Definitely old school gaming and gets a little slow and repetitive now and then, but my girls loved the interaction and how different it was from anything they have read or played.
Nathan
Not sure exactly how I would "read" this. So I simply marked it as read. I do plan on going through this book several times, especially if I end up dying. It's quite interesting and fills in the week when I don't get to play some DnD.
Chad
Reading it on my Kindle. The App is awesome and works like it should.

Darn zombies have killed me one too many times. I am going to start over and try to find the boathouse key to see if I can go around the undead jerks.
BookScout
Nov 12, 2009 BookScout rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BookScout by: Puffin Book Club
Shelves: childrens-ya
Loved this as a kid - played for hours at a time with my pencil, paper and dice. But got stuck inside the maze - would still be there now if I didn't have a life that got in the way.
Matthew
The first in the series of Steve Jackson's & Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy books.
This is the only one I never completed,I always got stuck in that damned maze.
ScottFC ~ Nuts & Chaos
The first and the best...played it so often the pages fell out ! awesome ! Who needs MMPRG or whatever the internet offers ?
Colin
A reprint of one of those wonderful books I read as a child that introduced me to the world of fantasy gaming.
  • The Citadel Of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Flight from the Dark (Lone Wolf, #1)
  • Darksword Adventures
  • Monster Manual II
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Monstrous Manual
  • Manual of the Planes
  • The Comedy Bible: From Stand-up to Sitcom--The Comedy Writer's Ultimate "How To" Guide
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.

More about Steve Jackson...
House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10) The Citadel Of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2) The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1) Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #2) The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)