Start by marking “Moon Shell Beach: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Moon Shell Beach: A Novel

Moon Shell Beach: A Novel

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,607 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
Best friends Lexi Laney and Clare Hart shared idyllic girlish adventures all over Nantucket Island, spending much of their time at their secret hideaway, Moon Shell Beach, a magical place where they remade the world. But when Lexi eloped to a life of luxery at age nineteen, she left behind a broken friendship with Clare and resentment from nearly everyone else. Now Lexi ha ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 14th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Shell Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Shell Beach

Katie(babs)
Clare Hart and Lexi Laney are the best of friends. They live on Nantucket Island and spend their summers playing at each other’s house or going to the beach. One day they find a special beach that is hidden off a country road. They claim the beach as their own and call it moon shell beach. They promise one another that they will never bring just any regular guy there, but only the men they end up marrying.

The years fly by and Clare and Lexi begin to drift apart. Clare has her first romance with
Laurel-Rain
Jun 21, 2009 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A predictably comforting “beach” read, “Moon Shell Beach” brings to the reader all the ordinary elements of such a tale—friendship, betrayals, redemption—with the satisfying culmination in romance.

Lexi Laney and Clare Hart grew up on Nantucket Island, fast friends who revel in their beach adventures —specifically those involving a unique island haunt, a hidden cove they have named “Moon Shell Beach.” When their bond is frayed by serious disagreements, Lexi leaves the island with her new husband,
Joyce
Apr 27, 2013 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Thayer was a new author to me, so I started with this Library book ... and will continue with the others in the 5-book 'beach series'. As I was reading, I categorized as YA fiction, which is fine with me. I enjoyed the book, and when I enjoy a book, and when the writing flows easily, there are no formatting issues and I was not left with a feeling of 'sadness', then I will give a 5-star rating. I don't agree with 1-star ratings on this.

So, now I am off to read her 'Summer House' novel.

Mo
Nyss
May 23, 2012 Nyss rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the worst book that I have read this year.

Since I am currently away from my husband, I only read chick lit books.

When I saw this book and its summary, I thought, well, this is interesting.

It's a story of two best friends who went through difficulties.

I like stories about friendship and love but man, I do not know what the author wants the book to be.

The sex scenes, the extra characters who the author thought would be lovable, the shallow plot are just some of the things that I d
Karen
Nov 19, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women with good childhood friend memories
I got into this book, like a good beach read. Nevermind that it's 37 degrees out and my comforter isn't keeping me warm enough. But the writing style, the images of Nantucket, all made me feel like I was part of the island, too.

It's not prize winning material, but it's a good story. Maybe a little formulaic at times, but the interaction and relationships between the grown women and the young girl are worth the read. "Hope" is a constant theme, and it's a feel good book for the most part.

Definite
Leah Kleinman
I find Nancy Thayer's most recent books to lack in the character development that marked some of her earlier works. However having said that I still enjoyed this book on a rainy cold Sunday afternoon - it was suitably distracting and engaging.
Denise
Jun 30, 2015 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two teenagers, who find a secret beach on Nantucket, separate for a decade. An easy summer beach read.
Jenn Flynn-Shon
Mary
Jun 23, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Lexi Laney and Clare Hart grew up together and lived an idyllic life in picturesque Nantucket. As children, they were forever sharing wondrous adventures and spending time together as best friends. And when it was time to share intimate secrets and let their imaginations run free, they escaped to their own private hideaway: Moon Shell Beach. But nothing ever stays the same. Once the complicated pressures of adulthood encroach, their intense bond of friendship becomes frayed, hurtful words are ex ...more
Clarinda
A Praia da Memória conta-nos a história simples, fresca, envolvente e doce de duas amigas de infância, Clare e Lexi que, acabam por se afastar, em determinada altura das suas vidas, ao fazerem escolhas próprias e decisivas para cada uma. Reencontram-se dez anos mais tarde, quando Lexi volta à ilha onde morou e vai tentar recuperar a amizade de Clare que, entretanto não saiu da ilha.
O desentendimento entre estas duas amigas foi encarado pela autora como algo perdoável e nada dramático onde a ami
Sara
Jun 02, 2010 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, I was bored on Sunday afternoon and picked this out of order to just read something light. And light it is--the perfect mindless book for an afternoon at the beach! Just don't expect anything more than that. It follows the lives of two childhood friends living on Nantucket over the course of 20 years or so. One falls in love as a teenager with a guy who can't keep his hands off women and the other runs away with an older real estate developer. In the process of this, they damage their friend ...more
JoAnn
Feb 27, 2009 JoAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I am partial to books about friendship and the beach, but this was an excellent book. I first read Nancy Thayer back in 1995 when I came across Belonging. I still re-read that book over and over.

Thayer's characters are real. You want to get to know them. You hate them, you love them, hate them some more and love them in the end. You find yourself cheering on Clare and Lexi throughout the book, trying not to take sides, just wanted the friendship to make it.

While reading this boo
Sari Lynn
Sep 29, 2009 Sari Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of beach books & friendship
Recommended to Sari Lynn by: Lois
An enjoyable book - perfect for taking to the beach or for curling up with on a rainy day, when you're dreaming of the beach! Set on Nantucket, Lexi & Clare, best friends since girlhood, make very different choices after high school graduation. Clare remains on the island engaged to her philandering high school sweetheart, while Lexi marries a wealthy real estate developer and travels the world. Now, ten years later, Lexi is back. Will they be able to get past old grievances and slights (rea ...more
Liz
Jul 17, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great summer read. Hooks the reader from the first page and moves along at a good pace. Perhaps a little to idealistic as far as the forgiving relationship between the girls, but it was a pleasure to escape from the realities of life relationship. Not a book for those who like to delve into the characters but if, like me, wanted to escape on a summer's day, this was the book that met that criteria.
Jeanne
This was a surprisingly good book. Lexi and Clare are close childhood friends growing up on Nantucket. Harsh words end their friendship when Lexi leaves the Island to get married. The story develops when Lexi, newly divorced, returns to Nantucket. This is a story of friendship, hope and redemption. Very well written. Retta would have liked this one.
Nicole
Nov 20, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok, but mostly disappointing. I had a difficult time connecting with the characters or feeling any empathy/sympathy for them. Honestly, I didn't like them. Not one single person! I found the story to be somewhat cheesy and unbelievable. Even the sense of community that I usually enjoy with beach destination novels wasn't present. I would not recommend it.
Stephanie Dahlberg
I want to get more books by this author if Moon Shell Beach is any indication of my enjoyment level. The author's character's, situations, story and d...moreI want to get more books by this author if Moon Shell Beach is any indication of my enjoyment level. The author's character's, situations, story and denouement was very realistic. Ya can't ask for much more than that for a good read!
Gina
Aug 25, 2012 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lame. Best word I could use to describe this book. Hated the characters, entire storyline was childish- one minute, the girl is furious with her friend and the next minute she is totally over what upset her in the first place. Couldn't wait to finish it.
Susan
Feb 03, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this quick read. I felt as if I were there on Nantucket, watching as Lexi and Clare's life's unfold.
Patty
Jun 20, 2016 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-stories
One of the better Taylors I've read.
Nancy
Jul 14, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of two childhood friends who part after a disagreement, meet again after ten years, and re-learn what it is to be friends.
Nancy
Jul 21, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy summer beach read with short chapters.
Janet Spicer
This is a summer beachy type book, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. The character development was poor and the emotional outbursts by a bestie for life just didn't seem right. The love scenes were poor/mild at best bordering on crude instead of intimate and lovely. The side plot and character I liked the most was a very interesting, peculiar, 10 year old girl who never gave up hope for her missing father. Her story within the story kept me going.
Sharon
Jul 13, 2017 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lexi Laney and Clare Hart are best friends on Nantucket. Lexi needs to travel and Clare wants to stay home. Will their friendship survive? Do they find the lives and the loves they wish for as girls?

Great summer read. Love her descriptions of Nantucket. Good girlfriend reads are always fun.
susanna brooks
Jul 14, 2017 susanna brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in two days!

One thing I loved was these were characters that were introduced in another one of her books. So you already kind of knew the them, but jot their story. I couldn't put it down! It was so good! Not a change the world kind of book, but a feel good summer read!
Tomi Crouch
Mar 17, 2017 Tomi Crouch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. A story about friendship that has you taking sides and switching sides.
Carol
Jun 14, 2017 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dream?

A terrific Beach read u can't put it down and I hope Nancy Thayer has a sequel!!!you will love it!!!
Kristen
Jun 21, 2017 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
Cute. Great beach read!
Meaghan Everett
Jan 29, 2017 Meaghan Everett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourites!!!
Chris
Aug 04, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

3.5

YOu might hate the way the girls treated each other. There was no real sense of friendship, they were both selfish and never rectified that as the book went on. In fact they became more selfishly motivated with every page and I honestly wanted to smack them both.

The way Clare almost stalked Jesse from the get g
  • Driftwood Summer
  • Beach Trip
  • LoveHampton
  • Swimming Lessons
  • The Love Season
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Seven Year Switch
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Beach Colors
  • The Summer We Came to Life
  • Ella Bella
  • Come Walk with Me
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
  • Homework
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
More about Nancy Thayer...