Start by marking “Moon Shell Beach: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Moon Shell Beach: A Novel

Moon Shell Beach: A Novel

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,184 ratings  ·  288 reviews
Best friends Lexi Laney and Clare Hart shared idyllic girlish adventures all over Nantucket Island, spending much of their time at their secret hideaway, Moon Shell Beach, a magical place where they remade the world. But when Lexi eloped to a life of luxery at age nineteen, she left behind a broken friendship with Clare and resentment from nearly everyone else. Now Lexi ha ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 14th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Shell Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Shell Beach

Laurel-Rain
A predictably comforting “beach” read, “Moon Shell Beach” brings to the reader all the ordinary elements of such a tale—friendship, betrayals, redemption—with the satisfying culmination in romance.

Lexi Laney and Clare Hart grew up on Nantucket Island, fast friends who revel in their beach adventures —specifically those involving a unique island haunt, a hidden cove they have named “Moon Shell Beach.” When their bond is frayed by serious disagreements, Lexi leaves the island with her new husband,
Katie(babs)
Clare Hart and Lexi Laney are the best of friends. They live on Nantucket Island and spend their summers playing at each other’s house or going to the beach. One day they find a special beach that is hidden off a country road. They claim the beach as their own and call it moon shell beach. They promise one another that they will never bring just any regular guy there, but only the men they end up marrying.

The years fly by and Clare and Lexi begin to drift apart. Clare has her first romance with
Joyce
Nancy Thayer was a new author to me, so I started with this Library book ... and will continue with the others in the 5-book 'beach series'. As I was reading, I categorized as YA fiction, which is fine with me. I enjoyed the book, and when I enjoy a book, and when the writing flows easily, there are no formatting issues and I was not left with a feeling of 'sadness', then I will give a 5-star rating. I don't agree with 1-star ratings on this.

So, now I am off to read her 'Summer House' novel.

Mo
Nyss
This is probably the worst book that I have read this year.

Since I am currently away from my husband, I only read chick lit books.

When I saw this book and its summary, I thought, well, this is interesting.

It's a story of two best friends who went through difficulties.

I like stories about friendship and love but man, I do not know what the author wants the book to be.

The sex scenes, the extra characters who the author thought would be lovable, the shallow plot are just some of the things that I d
Karen
Nov 19, 2008 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women with good childhood friend memories
I got into this book, like a good beach read. Nevermind that it's 37 degrees out and my comforter isn't keeping me warm enough. But the writing style, the images of Nantucket, all made me feel like I was part of the island, too.

It's not prize winning material, but it's a good story. Maybe a little formulaic at times, but the interaction and relationships between the grown women and the young girl are worth the read. "Hope" is a constant theme, and it's a feel good book for the most part.

Definite
Leah Kleinman
I find Nancy Thayer's most recent books to lack in the character development that marked some of her earlier works. However having said that I still enjoyed this book on a rainy cold Sunday afternoon - it was suitably distracting and engaging.
Mary
Jun 25, 2013 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Lexi Laney and Clare Hart grew up together and lived an idyllic life in picturesque Nantucket. As children, they were forever sharing wondrous adventures and spending time together as best friends. And when it was time to share intimate secrets and let their imaginations run free, they escaped to their own private hideaway: Moon Shell Beach. But nothing ever stays the same. Once the complicated pressures of adulthood encroach, their intense bond of friendship becomes frayed, hurtful words are ex ...more
Clarinda
A Praia da Memória conta-nos a história simples, fresca, envolvente e doce de duas amigas de infância, Clare e Lexi que, acabam por se afastar, em determinada altura das suas vidas, ao fazerem escolhas próprias e decisivas para cada uma. Reencontram-se dez anos mais tarde, quando Lexi volta à ilha onde morou e vai tentar recuperar a amizade de Clare que, entretanto não saiu da ilha.
O desentendimento entre estas duas amigas foi encarado pela autora como algo perdoável e nada dramático onde a ami
Jenn Flynn-Shon
Jackye
After reading the Hot Flash books by Nancy Thayer, I was interested in trying something else by her.

This book is the story of two friends who grow apart then find each other again during a summer on their native island of Nantucket. Clare never left the island and owns a chocolate shop. She is engaged to Jesse, her high school sweetheart.

Lexi returns to the island after marrying a wealthy older man. She has traveled extensively, then finds her husband is cheating on her. She opens a clothing/acc
Sara
OK, I was bored on Sunday afternoon and picked this out of order to just read something light. And light it is--the perfect mindless book for an afternoon at the beach! Just don't expect anything more than that. It follows the lives of two childhood friends living on Nantucket over the course of 20 years or so. One falls in love as a teenager with a guy who can't keep his hands off women and the other runs away with an older real estate developer. In the process of this, they damage their friend ...more
JoAnn
I have to say, I am partial to books about friendship and the beach, but this was an excellent book. I first read Nancy Thayer back in 1995 when I came across Belonging. I still re-read that book over and over.

Thayer's characters are real. You want to get to know them. You hate them, you love them, hate them some more and love them in the end. You find yourself cheering on Clare and Lexi throughout the book, trying not to take sides, just wanted the friendship to make it.

While reading this boo
Sari Lynn
Oct 11, 2009 Sari Lynn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of beach books & friendship
Recommended to Sari Lynn by: Lois
An enjoyable book - perfect for taking to the beach or for curling up with on a rainy day, when you're dreaming of the beach! Set on Nantucket, Lexi & Clare, best friends since girlhood, make very different choices after high school graduation. Clare remains on the island engaged to her philandering high school sweetheart, while Lexi marries a wealthy real estate developer and travels the world. Now, ten years later, Lexi is back. Will they be able to get past old grievances and slights (rea ...more
Liz
A great summer read. Hooks the reader from the first page and moves along at a good pace. Perhaps a little to idealistic as far as the forgiving relationship between the girls, but it was a pleasure to escape from the realities of life relationship. Not a book for those who like to delve into the characters but if, like me, wanted to escape on a summer's day, this was the book that met that criteria.
Stephanie Dahlberg
I want to get more books by this author if Moon Shell Beach is any indication of my enjoyment level. The author's character's, situations, story and d...moreI want to get more books by this author if Moon Shell Beach is any indication of my enjoyment level. The author's character's, situations, story and denouement was very realistic. Ya can't ask for much more than that for a good read!
Nicole Long
This book was ok, but mostly disappointing. I had a difficult time connecting with the characters or feeling any empathy/sympathy for them. Honestly, I didn't like them. Not one single person! I found the story to be somewhat cheesy and unbelievable. Even the sense of community that I usually enjoy with beach destination novels wasn't present. I would not recommend it.
Jeanne
This was a surprisingly good book. Lexi and Clare are close childhood friends growing up on Nantucket. Harsh words end their friendship when Lexi leaves the Island to get married. The story develops when Lexi, newly divorced, returns to Nantucket. This is a story of friendship, hope and redemption. Very well written. Retta would have liked this one.
Gina
Lame. Best word I could use to describe this book. Hated the characters, entire storyline was childish- one minute, the girl is furious with her friend and the next minute she is totally over what upset her in the first place. Couldn't wait to finish it.
Nancy
The story of two childhood friends who part after a disagreement, meet again after ten years, and re-learn what it is to be friends.
Airynn
Im finding a trend in Nancy Thayers books that I didn't pay much attention too before. I've been re-listening to some of her books because I always enjoy them. However now I'm seeing that most of her characters seem to meet a man and within minutes of dating are already engaged or talking about getting married after the first couple days. I just don't understand why they aren't just beginning a relationship? Instead they are walking down the aisle by the last chapter when they have been together ...more
Margarida Cruz
Suave, terno, envolvente e refrescante. Uma história e escrita viciantes, uma leitura deliciosamente descontraída e cenários apaixonantes, capazes de deleitar qualquer leitor.

Para mim, é o livro perfeito para esta altura do ano - o Verão. O calor pede leituras leves, doces, descontraídas e, ao mesmo tempo, viciantes como esta. Mas Nancy Thayer oferece-nos, ainda, os deslumbrantes cenários de Nantucket como "a cereja no topo do bolo" desde livro delicioso.

Apesar de todas estas excelentes qualidad
Gina
Clare and Lexi have been friends since childhood. Clare always one to play house while Lexi dreamed of great adventures. Both girls go to college together but when back home their first summer, Clare and Lexi grow apart. Clare is dating Jessie Gray and Lexi realizes that she won't be able to return to college. Lexi meets a rich and dazzling older man and accepts his proposal and spends years in a loveless marriage but getting the traveling she has yearned for. Now, 10 years later, Lexi returns t ...more
Elle
Moon Shell Beach is about childhood friends, Lexi Lainey and Clare Hart.
The book starts out with a brief background of the girls as children and then teens. The book then flashes forward ten years with a bit of explanation of events that took place within those past ten years.

Nasty things they said to one another broke up their friendship years ago, but now Lexi has moved back to Nantucket Island.

I had a difficult time connecting with these characters because they both held onto relationships wi
Deborah
This isn't one of those "amazing", "changed my life" kind of books, but it was quite enjoyable, and makes you want to read it to the end. I read it at a sad time in my life, right after my mom passed away, and it was a good book to take your mind off of the everyday troubles I had.
It's about childhood friends wh grew up in Nantucket, surfing bike riding, and having adolescent adventures--one of which is discovering a hidden beach they claim for their very own.
As they grow up, one of them, Lexi,
Barb
This is such a good summer read and yes, I know it's February but I must have needed the thought of sand and water. Clare and Lexi are good friends who experience many trials in their friendship as they get older. It all works out and the ending allows the reader to plan a lovely relationshop for Lexi and all will be well. This book requires little from the reader - it is light, easy and fun.
Maria
Para quem está já com o pensamento voltado para as férias de verão nada mais apropriado para ler de momento.
A Praia da Memória é um romance tão bonito que centra basicamente a sua história na vida de duas amigas cuja vida adulta o acaso vem separar. A ambição de Lexi leva-a para longe da terra natal, mas o pensamento e a traição do marido trazem-na de volta à pequena ilha onde fora tão feliz com Clare.
A amizade sobrevive à distância criada entre ambas e as grandes amigas conseguem suportar as a
Linda
There is always a place for beach books -even mediocre ones, but I draw the line with this one. These women don't know the meaning of best friends, but Lexi took the prize. She broke the female code - best friends do not become involved with each other's men. Bad story line.
Leah Proudfoot
Read this over this past weekend while New England was getting hammered by another blizzard, and it was the perfect warm weather mental escape! I have loved everything I have read by Nancy Thayer thus far, and this book was no exception. Fun, yet complicated characters, beautiful surroundings (not hard when the book takes place on Nantucket!) and relationships that you cheer for. The time span this book covers was great, adolescents though early adulthood, and the choices made in between. I was ...more
Krissie
LOVED THIS ONE!
tight-knit island community, where two women struggle to rekindle a childhood friendship damaged by harsh words, betrayal, and the passing years.

Lexi Laney and Clare Hart grew up together swimming in the surf,
JJ
Not a lot to think about, but a great summer read. The beginning is a bit slow, but there are some interesting twists to help the story along
  • Driftwood Summer
  • Beach Trip
  • The Beach Club
  • Swimming Lessons
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Seven Year Switch
  • The Memory of Water
  • LoveHampton
  • Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1)
  • A Month of Summer (Blue Sky Hill #1)
  • Wildwood Road
  • Beach Colors
Nancy Thayer has a B.A. and M.A. in English literature from the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Before settling down to write and have children she taught English at various colleges and traveled, living in Paris, Amsterdam and Helsinki. In 1981 she was a Fellow at the Breadloaf Writers Conference. She has lived on Nantucket Island year round for twenty-five years with her husband Charley W ...more
More about Nancy Thayer...
Beachcombers Summer House Heat Wave Island Girls Summer Breeze