Start by marking “Critical Care (Mercy Hospital, #1)” as Want to Read:
Critical Care (Mercy Hospital, #1)

Critical Care (Chance of Loving You)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,838 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
After her brother dies in a trauma room, nurse Claire Avery can no longer face the ER. She's determined to make a fresh start--new hospital, new career in nursing education--move forward, no turning back. But her plans fall apart when she's called to offer stress counseling for medical staff after a heartbreaking day care center explosion.

Worse, she's forced back to the E
Published June 1st 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published May 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Care

stormhawk
Jun 28, 2010 stormhawk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Was it Sherlock Holmes or Alice in Wonderland who told me to believe six impossible things before breakfast ... sounds sort of Cheshire Cat or Mad Hatter, so It must have been from Alice.

Even if it is after breakfast, here's the impossible thing.

I liked this book.

A lot.

Why should that be impossible? Because Critical Care is a romance. And oh no, not just a romance. A Christian romance. With nurses and doctors.

It's funny, it's quirky, it's heartwrenchingly sad. People learn about themselves,
Nicole
Dec 31, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun! I love her books, and this was no exception!
Debbie
Jun 01, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This novel is a romantic ER drama. Readers who like ER dramas will probably love this novel. However, even if you don't normally care for ER drama (like me), I'd recommend you give this book a chance. It's a great book.

The pacing was excellent, with tension high from the very first page. The book was well-written with very likable and realistic characters and an interesting plot. The world-building (i.e. details of the medical trade and so forth) was excellent, bringing the story alive in my ima
Julie
You know you're an ER nurse when:
1. You're never late for work, in fact you come in 20 minutes early (see #2)
2. You are vigilant and diligent in making sure everything is stocked before your shift starts.
3. You can handle seeing an overwhelming amount of tragedy in one day.
4. You are addicted to coffee and/or diet coke and you're an incredible multi-tasker.
5. You believe in standing up for what is right, even it you have to stand up to the doctor barking orders at you.
6. You care more for your
Keiki Hendrix
Oct 26, 2009 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing
Can a medical drama be written without explicit dialogue or scenes? Can an author craft a story without such material? Certainly! And Candace Calvert has done just that.

Critical Care is the engaging story of Sierra Mercy's Emergency Room physician (Dr. Logan Caldwell, aka Dr. McSnarly) and Claire Avery, an Education Nurse charged with securing the mental and emotional well being of the emergency care staff.

What did I learn from this book? What keeps takeout pizza's on speed dial for an ER doctor
Kate Hinderer
Nov 16, 2011 Kate Hinderer rated it really liked it
My younger sister is a nurse so I’m always on the look-out for great books that feature people in the medical field. I picked up a free ebook called Disaster Status by Candace Calvert, but when I saw it was the second book in the series I held off reading it in search of the first book. And that’s how I found Critical Care and the Disaster Relief medical series.

Claire Avery watched her brother die in the very Emergency Room where she worked as a nurse. She can no longer face the ER and all that
Julie Graves
Jul 17, 2017 Julie Graves rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
After watching her brother die in the ER Claire has no desire to ever work in the ER again. She tried, but it was too soon and an uncaring doctor called her a "weak link" and now that has crippled Claire for ER work.

Logan, Dr. McSnarly to the nurses, has no patience for nurses who can't keep it together on the job. Logan has no need for God in his life. After all, God refused to answer his prayers as a child so why should he need him now? The only problem is that Logan is miserable. He has run o
Bruce Judisch
Jun 21, 2010 Bruce Judisch rated it it was amazing
There are three relative-milieu perspectives in which you often find stories set.

First, there’s the inside-looking-out view. At the risk of sounding self-serving, I’ll use my own Ben Amittai: First Call as an example. The hero—the prophet Jonah—is viewing the outside world from inside his unique perspective as a prophet called of God. He sees the effects of his calling—his milieu, if you will—on those around him who are not part of that calling, but are touched by it.

Second, there’s the view fro
Ruth
May 22, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it
Some of my first "grown-up" books were those paperback nurse romances that my local library kept on a shelf right next to the children's section (that was in the days before teens had their own rooms at the library). I liked them so much that I decided I was going to be a nurse when I grew up, a goal that lasted until I took (and hated) high school chemistry. In any case, this book, Critical Care by Candace Calvert, reminded me of those old books.

Critical Care is primarily a romance novel. Her
Paula Legate
Mar 09, 2013 Paula Legate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-suspence
This story drew me right in. It’s about a team of one doctor, and many nurses that work in a hospital E.R. In this story, you feel the personal battles each one is facing, the battles they have faced, and the dreams they have. Logan is the doctor. He is known as been hard, he only wants the best in his team. He carry’s the responsibility of every life that comes though those doors. He knows about loss, but knows he can’t focus on the loss, he has to soldier though each day. He strives to offer o ...more
Marian Baay
Apr 10, 2012 Marian Baay rated it really liked it
Claire used to be an ER nurse, but when her brother came in during her shift severely burned and died, she panicked and couldn't work the ER anymore. She promised herself never to set foot in the ER again. She took a new job at another hospital and tried to stay away from the ER. But when the ER team are dealing with a tragedy she is needed to evaluate the staff if they can handle the situation.

Dr. Logan Caldwell is not happy to see Claire counseling his staff. His experience is that counseling
Janna
Aug 30, 2009 Janna rated it really liked it
Debut author, Candace Calvert, has accomplished something unique and wonderful with the start of her Mercy Hospital Series. "Critical Care" introduces us to a wonderful cast that I'm hopeful to see again and again in future books. Logan is the doctor in charge of the ER at Mercy and is known for being hard on nurses, to the point of making them quit. Erin is the head nurse who runs the nurses like a pro, but can't seem to get her love life to get in line like it should. Sarah is the reliable nur ...more
Tanx
Dec 28, 2013 Tanx rated it really liked it
Any books with a medical setting is a plus for me, I was excited to dive into this expecting intense medical trauma scenes,
Medical jargons mentioned in this book are minimal, it will not be a problem to readers unfamiliar to follow along the story.

While it's not the very best book I have read, it was a good enjoyable read nonetheless, I do recommend it to romance lovers (the theme is romance rather than medical issues, with the main characters pining for each other)
JoAnn
Jan 09, 2016 JoAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-tablet
I really enjoyed this book. It was the first book I've read by Candace Calvert and I'm so glad I finally read one of her books. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I highly recommend this book.
Megan
Sep 28, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Fun journey with this complicated character who learns to face her fears and get on with life. The tempo of this book picked up so much I simply had to keep reading it until it was finished. I forgot about laundry, meals, errands . . . and read Critical Care until the last satisfying page.
SueDella
Jul 03, 2010 SueDella rated it did not like it
Just not up to the level of reading I am used to. Pretty sub-par writing. Only saving grace was the discussion of God and Faith.
Amanda
Jun 01, 2017 Amanda rated it really liked it
Excited to read the second book in this series. It was a good read with Christian values.
Beverly
Candace Calvert writes pulse-throbbing, action packed "hope operas" in the medical romance genre. She creates vibrantly alive characters we can relate with and wonderful character development where members of a medical team face daily personal, professional and spiritual challenges. You may not want to put the book down until you've read it to the end.

At Sierra Mercy Hospital the staff had dubbed Dr. Logan Caldwell "Dr. McSnarly." That reputation was on solid ground when Claire Avery suffered h
Bonnie Ainsworth
Great book! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. This is a new author to me.
Hannah
Jul 12, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it
Critical Care was the first novel I have ever read by Calvert. I had never heard of her, but I read her book on a recommendation from Amazon, as they were having a freebie sale on her novel. I also enjoyed this novel as well. It is a Christian fiction book about an RN recovering from a tragedy of working in the ER when her brother (a firefighter) dies. As an RN myself, I have to say that this was the first from many novels (and TV shows for that matter) about medical issues that I enjoyed. Havin ...more
Cheri
Jul 05, 2012 Cheri rated it it was amazing
I recently discovered a new author (to me) and would like to share that information with all of you. She already has four books out, which is terrific, because now I don’t have to wait to read the second in the series. I read her first book in less than a week, not because it was short, but because I couldn’t put it down.

Candace Calvert has the power to captivate with words, storyline, and characters. She allows the reader to “hear” the story through four of her characters, which brings the sto
Cheri Swalwell
Jun 01, 2012 Cheri Swalwell rated it it was amazing

Keli Gwyn
Jul 25, 2009 Keli Gwyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There’s been a fire at a daycare center. Dr. Logan Caldwell and his staff scramble to treat the tiny burn victims, so many they’ve overflowed into the hallways. He has no time for Claire Avery, who’s been sent from the education department to offer stress counseling to his overtaxed colleagues. Sparks fly from the moment the former ER nurse meets the ER director, or McSnarly as those who’ve dealt with his brusque treatment have dubbed him. He has no time for “touchy-feely” counseling or “weak li ...more
Nastassja Loots
Apr 19, 2013 Nastassja Loots rated it really liked it
Blog: http://nastassjaloots.blogspot.com/20...

Critical Care by Candace Calvert is the first book in the Mercy Hospital series. I only discovered Calvert last year, but am eagerly digging into her earlier works. I really enjoy Calvert's medical writing. It is very obvious she used to work in hospitals herself, as her work has a level of authenticity which adds immensely to the overall feel of the story. The overall impression you get while reading, is that it may very well be based on reality - a
Tamara Tilley
Apr 26, 2011 Tamara Tilley rated it liked it
Shelves: own
CRITICAL CARE is the first book I've read from Candace Calvert. And though it is written with the typical opposites attract storyline, it still made for an enjoyable read.

With the main setting being an ER room at a hospital, we watch as Claire Avery, a nurse educator, deals with the trauma that plagues her past, and has driven her from the hospital she once worked at. We also watch as she deals with developing feelings for Dr. Logan Caldwell, a man that is so single-minded, he sees no need for
Elaine
Much more than a romance...In fact, I've purchase book 2 in this series already.

Claire begins work at a new location to start over after a difficult time working in an ER where she loses her firefighter brother. She's waiting to land a job as nursing educator at her new place of employment but in the meantime, gets placed working in the ER—exactly what she doesn't want. To top it off, the ER director Logan, pushes his staff to the limits and is a difficult man to work for. Besides Logan, the ER
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Christian ER/Grey's Anatomy, without the sex and with McSnarly instead of McDreamy.

Claire Avery leaves ER nursing after her brother dies in the trauma room, on her watch. Wanting to make a fresh start she finds a position in a small hospital, focusing on nursing education and stress counseling, rather than ER nursing. As she works to find her place among the staff, she finds herself clashing with Logan Caldwell, the ER doctor. Logan doesn't like counseling or soft staff. He's tough and focused
Janet
Jun 07, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
Critical Care by Candace Calvert

“… love, laughter, and faith are the very best medicines of all.”

Critical Care written by Candace Calvert is a heart felt story that is full of struggles, pain and redemption. There are even times of laughter in it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her book. I wish I could have completed it in one sitting. I applaud the author, she didn’t use profanity or sexual content in her novel and still created a wonderful love story.

The story begins when Clair Avery, takes a ne
Melinda
Critical Care by Candace Calvert

It took one night for nurse Claire Avery's life to change. She was on duty in the ER the night her brother was brought in. After his death she leaves for a new hospital and a new position that keeps her as far from the ER as possible. Her life is ER free until the day there is an explosion at a daycare center. The ER needs hands and Claire's are skilled. She's asked to return to the ER and her life isn't ever the same.

Dr. Logan Caldwell is feared and revered. The
Jamie Rhodes
Jun 20, 2014 Jamie Rhodes rated it it was amazing
This is a nice, clean Christian romance for any age. The setting is a hospital. The book revolves around the healing that needs to happen in some of the hearts in this ER. We get points of view from Logan, Claire, Erin, and Sarah. Two of them believe in the power of prayer. Two of them need some shaking up in that area. Logan is the ER medical director. Claire is a former ER nurse who is now into the education program that helps hospital staff with stress issues. Erin is the ER charge nurse. Sar ...more
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Against All Odds (Heroes of Quantico, #1)
  • The Real Enemy (Sophie Trace Trilogy #1)
  • Don't Look Back (Women of Justice, #2)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Code Blue (Prescription for Trouble, #1)
  • Dark Pursuit
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Finding Stefanie (Noble Legacy, #3)
  • Lonestar Sanctuary (Lonestar, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Evil
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • The Weight of Shadows
Former ER nurse, wife, Mom and grandmother, Candace Calvert believes that love, laughter, and faith are the best medicines of all. Her Mercy Hospital, Grace Medical, and Crisis Team series for Tyndale House offers readers charismatic characters, pulse-pounding medical drama, romance, humor, suspense--and a prescription for hope. Think, “Grey’s Anatomy finds its soul.”

More about Candace Calvert...

Chance of Loving You (1 books)
  • Chance of Loving You

“Want to hear something cool?' He took the rubber earpieces from his ears and eased them into Jamie's, then replaced the stethoscope over the child's heart. 'Do you hear that? That soft thumping inside there?'
Jamie's eyes widened and a sweet smile lit his face.
'You know what that is?' Logan asked.
'Uh-huh.' Jamie beamed with confidence. 'It's Jesus.”
1 likes
“plans.” “What did happen?” “I gave him instant coffee and told him to drive safely. And I told you I don’t cry.” Kate watched” 0 likes