Start by marking “The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)

The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)

Rich and witty, the literary whodunits by Amanda Cross are a delight for readers who like their mysteries smart and suspenseful. Now comes the highly anticipated sequel to her Kate Fansler novel, Honest Doubt, which the Providence Journal called “one of [her] best books in years.” Here, Cross takes her beloved protagonist into uncharted territory, turning Kate Fansler’s wo ...more
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Doom

Susan
Mar 06, 2017 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We're doing Amanda Cross in the mystery book club I go to. I read one book and a collection of short stories and liked both but the more I read the less she works for me. This on would have made a good short story but at even short book length it really drags.
Susan Mock
Normally, I love her books, but this one kept meandering around. It was okay. BUT, the writing, as usual, was so well done.
Susan
The Edge of Doom by Amanda Cross is the 7th (and final) book of the Kate Fansler mystery series set in late-20th-century New York City. Kate is a university professor of literature; her husband Reed is a retired District Attorney. They live in an apartment with their huge dog Banny. I've read the series in order. While reading several books prior to this one, I felt the series had dragged on too long. Although meant to be literary whodunits, I felt they had too much introspection, not enough plo ...more
Kim
Feb 11, 2015 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read the series for a long while now, but I enjoyed this one. Kate Fansler (the main character in this series) can be very superficial, very much an intellectual type, and very prone to talking and talking and talking about her feelings, which is why I tired of the series. But the plots, when they are really a good integral part of the book can be very interesting and fun. This one works well and is an interesting insight into Kate's background. Do read this one AFTER reading a few of th ...more
Lee
I did not care for this book, but to be fair I might have enjoyed it more if I had read previous books in the series. Still, I don't think I will because the Kate Fansler character did not engage me. Additionally, I couldn't get over feeling that some of the things that occur to move the story forward were awkward and not believable. For instance, going in the ladies room to prick her finger and put , blood on a handkerchief at her brothers request for a DNA sample. This occurs between wealthy p ...more
Felicity
Really not one of her best. I love Amanda Cross' Kate Fansler books but this is. . huh. What is it? It's not a mystery, it's more of a, um. A commentary in search of a theme and a plot? She's a little too in love with her main character and in this latest one she not only manages to rid her of her distasteful capitalist roots, she takes ten or fifteen years off her age. Unfortunately, now she rings a little false.
Angel Pedroza
Jul 05, 2015 Angel Pedroza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read most of Amanda Cross' Kate Fansler series as they were published up until the late 1990's. In my opinion they were beautifully written and the literary information given and the mystery offered were terrific. I recently purchased The Players Come Again and The Edge of Doom book in a second hand shop and I am glad I did. The reading of these two books was like finding old friends. They are both worth reading.
Elaine
Apr 09, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Cross is a pen name for the late feminist scholar, Carolyn G. Heilbrun, perhaps best known for Writing a Woman's Life. What I liked about The Edge of Doom is that it drew on the life of Edith Wharton, the great American writer, although it certainly reconfigured the biographical information. A fun read.
Sallie
Jun 04, 2015 Sallie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Not impressed with this book, it just seemed to go on and on with no real point to it. It's really a 1.5 star since I didn't hate it but it left me feeling 'meh'. Going to the used bookstore shelves.
Tom
Dec 04, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I have read many of the Kate Fansler mysteries. This one had a very good premise, but it became tedious. Kate continually spoke in a way to make herself seem clever and smart. It mostly made her seem as if she did not know how to communicate.
Sharen
May 25, 2015 Sharen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It didn't sweep me off my feet. Considering the author's credentials, it is just so-so - sadly, as she was a very intelligent person and an acclaimed scholar.
Caroline
Sorry to see the end.
Jo-anne
Picked this up at the library book sale.I had forgotten about this writer...really not much mystery but more a meander into literature, especially Shakespeare. A nice evenings read.
Deb
Oct 08, 2014 Deb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING!! Only read about half of the book. Didn't know when the "smart suspense" was going to start. Won't be picking up any of her other books.
Tina
Amanda Cross is growing on me - mediocre mysteries but good social commentary.
Mlplouff
Mlplouff rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Harold Osler
Harold Osler rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Mirachil27
Mirachil27 rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Theresa Scott
Theresa Scott rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Tory
Sep 30, 2016 Tory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
silly book, silly plot, simple writing
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2015
JENNIFER BAXANDALL
JENNIFER BAXANDALL rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
scherzo♫
scherzo♫ rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Carol Bedin
Carol Bedin rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Happybookie
Happybookie rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it it was ok
May 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • The Brutal Heart (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #11)
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • The Alpine Pursuit (Emma Lord, #16)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)
  • The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #2)
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)