Start by marking “June Bug” as Want to Read:
June Bug

June Bug

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,378 Ratings  ·  386 Reviews
From the best-selling author of "War Room" comes a Christy Award finalist, now a Lifetime original movie called "Child of Grace.""I believed everything my daddy told me until I walked into Wal-Mart and saw my picture on a little poster . . ." For as long as she can remember, June Bug and her father have traveled the back roads of the country in their beat-up RV, spending m ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published July 23rd 2009)

Pamela
Imagine - you're a girl of nine, traveling around the country with you daddy in an RV, sea to shining sea, border to border, and points in between - happy as lark. Then one day you walk into a Walmart, like you've done a thousand times before, and see yourself on a "Bring Them Home" missing child poster. That would certainly upset your apple cart! You'd probably question everything you thought you knew about who and what you are. But who could you go to for answers, if your daddy isn't your dadd ...more
Paula
Feb 15, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok
Borrowed this book free from Amazon. It was a pretty good story - I really didn't know at first if her "daddy" was a good guy or bad guy. The ending was a bit too cliche & tidy, not to mention unrealistic.

My biggest complaint was that about halfway through, it became apparent that this is "Christian fiction." I just want to read a good book, not be preached too. And it was a bit odd, since at the beginning there was only passing mention of Jesus in direct relation to 1 specific character; t
Vicki
Aug 15, 2011 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I had never read a book by Chris Fabry before, but this book was on my "to read" list from the second I read the blurb. The thought of a child seeing her picture on a "Missing" board in Wal-Mart messed with my mind.

More times than not when I want to read a book really bad but don't get to it for a while, I'm let down. I guess I build it up to much in my head. I expect it to be amazing and most times they fall short of that.

This wasn't one of those books. It was everything I was wanting it to be
Megan
Mar 10, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
This one had me in tears, so it definitely engaged my emotions. June Bug is a story that focuses on a little girl and her daddy, John. They have been living on the road in an RV for years. One day June Bug sees her face on a missing children's poster in Walmart and all of a sudden her questions about who her mama is take on new meaning. She starts wondering... The story follows the two of them on their journey home to find closure and new beginnings. The narrative is mostly written from June Bug ...more
Elke Eelbode
Nov 26, 2014 Elke Eelbode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful, but sad story about the love between a father and his daughter. I enjoyed reading this story.

Een mooi geschreven boek over de liefde tussen vader en dochter. Het boek is goed opgebouwd en volgt 2 verhaallijnen, deze van vader en kind en daarnaast de verhaallijn van grootouders op zoek naar hun vermist kleinkind. Het blijft interessant om het verhaal te volgen al is het wel een heel trieste achtergrond.
Zeker 4 sterren waard.
Trinity Rose
Feb 12, 2015 Trinity Rose rated it it was amazing
June Bug by Chris Fabry is an excellent novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it and glad that I read it.
The characters are so life like and you can really live the story through them. I really came to love
June Bug and her “Dad”. Usually I don’t care for books that are told through the eyes of a child/young person. To me it seems to be lacking something, but with June Bug it wasn’t that way. June Bug was not only told through a young girl, but also others.
June Bug talks about Walmart and WV which are c
Janet
Oct 12, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it

This was my first Chris Fabry book and it won't be my last.

I enjoyed the story of June Bug.

After reading the back I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but it sucked me in right away. The relationship between June Bug and her 'dad' was what every little girls dream of.
Wendy
Dec 03, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it
I was curious about the teaser on the cover describing the book as a "modern retelling of Les Miserables". To be honest, I saw a few parallels but the big connection the author apparently had was lost on me. The story follows a nine-year-old girl who lives on the road out of an RV with her dad. A mystery unfolds after she discovers an age progression photo of herself on a missing child poster hanging in a Walmart. I liked the book, but it is no Le Mis.
Raelee Carpenter
Jan 26, 2015 Raelee Carpenter rated it liked it
As a story on its own, June Bug is charming, sweet, and colorful. The characters are intriguing, though Fabry occasionally bunny trails in to unnecessary details of some of the minor characters' back stories in a manner that's confusing. But the prose is lovely, and the details paint an excellent picture of America.

Taking this as Les Miserables retelling, however, it falls WAY short. The important themes of oppression, futile revolution, and eternal grace are completely missing. In fact, the onl
Susan Meissner
May 04, 2011 Susan Meissner rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book with amazingly real characters. Much of this story is told from the point of view of a 9-year-old girl. There were many times I forgot a man old enough to have 9 kids wrote it. A stunningly deep storyline. Loved it.
Deborah Leathers
Jul 15, 2011 Deborah Leathers rated it it was amazing
Back Cover Description:

June Bug believed everything her daddy told her. That is, until she walked into Wal-Mart and saw her face on a list of missing children. The discovery begins a quest for the truth about her father, the mother he rarely speaks about, and ultimately herself. A modern interpretation of Les Miserables, the story follows a dilapidated RV rambling cross-country with June Bug and her father, a man running from a haunted past. Forces beyond their control draw them back to Dogwood,
Peggy Morgan
Jun 16, 2011 Peggy Morgan rated it liked it
From the opening scene when nine-year-old June Bug is startled to see her picture on a missing persons poster to the surprising yet satisfying ending, readers accompany the precocious girl and her father on a journey of discovery that forces her father to face his past so that June Bug can find her true future. Throughout the story June Bug’s delightful personality shines through. She is spontaneous, free-spirited and loving, a healing balm for her emotionally scarred father, a veteran of the wa ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Aug 04, 2009 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it it was amazing
June Bug has spent her life driving the back roads of America with her dad in an old RV, often staying in Wal-Mart parking lots at night. Their nomadic existence is happy, but when June Bug walks into a Wal-Mart one day and sees her own face looking back at her from a missing child poster, she learns that there are secrets her father has never shared with her.

That discovery fills her with questions and ultimately sends them both back to Dogwood, West Virginia where June Bug finds answers and he
Clockstein Lockstein
Aug 10, 2009 Clockstein Lockstein rated it really liked it
June Bug by Chris Fabry is a fresh take on the classic tale Les Miserables. Nine-year-old June Bug is mostly content with her life on the road with her dad, Johnson, until she sees her own picture on a poster for a kidnapped child. The poster says she was kidnapped seven years ago, and that her real name is Natalie Ann and has an age-progressed photo that looks just like her, down to the small birthmark on her cheek. Her discovery sets a chain of events in motion that will change her entire life ...more
Christina
Mar 06, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I was nervous whether it was all the way clean or or, just based on imagination from the teaser. But it is very clean, very well written and a great story. I will be recommending this book!
Chloe
Feb 24, 2014 Chloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is mostly told from a 9-year-old girl's point of view. She sees her face on a missing persons poster and all of a sudden, her life is turned upside down. She - along with the reader - begins to wonder just WHO is this person who she's called "Daddy" as far back as she can remember? Does she have a mother somewhere? The book is a result of her journey to find the truth about her life.

We see two sides of the story, June Bug's grandparents, who have never given up hope of finding their g
Margaret Devaux
Feb 04, 2016 Margaret Devaux rated it it was amazing
Never thought I would like the kidnapper but I did. Was he really that? The book held me captive from the very beginning. I couldn't wait to read it after I had to put it down.
Coral
Jan 28, 2014 Coral rated it it was amazing
June Bug is seeing the country with her father via RV travel- we come across them as the walmart manager is getting tired of them parked in the parking lot of his walmart- and Sheila a kindly widow who works there takes them to her house until the part that will get the RV up and running again. While at Walmart June Bug sees a picture of herself age progressed to the present, and questions start forming. The story is wonderfully written and the author does well with characters making one love or ...more
Lydia Howe
I have literally wanted to read this book for years and was so excited when I found it at the library. The premiss has SO much promise and so I was sadly disappointed with the way the book actually unfolded.

Things I liked:

*The parts June Bug narrated. Seriously, if she would have told the whole book it would have been at least four, maybe even five stars. The author really captured the voice of a smart, little girl and her curiosity about the world and full faith in her dad. Her way of describi
C.J. Darlington
Feb 16, 2015 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
I write this review sitting in an RV at a Walmart parking lot. In the exact position the characters of Chris Fabry's June Bug find themselves at the book's opening. To RVers, it's not an unusual scenario to be sitting here. Rather than pay campground fees or sleep overnight at a seedy truck stop, often we'll stay in Walmart parking lots during our travels. We'll be on the road again by morning, so scenery doesn't matter, and a quick stop inside will replenish our supplies.

I look out my RV's wind
Jessie Weaver
Apr 02, 2014 Jessie Weaver rated it it was amazing
Accustomed to living out of an RV and camping out in Wal-Mart parking lots, June Johnson is just a little surprised to find her face on a missing child poster. All of a sudden confronted with the reality that she is likely not June Bug, but Natalie Anne Edwards - that her birthday is not April 9, and maybe her dad is not her dad - June tries to unearth the truth in this coming-of-age meets mystery novel in the form of inspirational fiction.

June Bug is the kind of book you can't put down. With na
Carmen
Oct 21, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
A modern interpretation of Les Miserables? Only in the loosest sense of a comparison. With that off my chest...

This is the best of Christian fiction: a good story with good people trying hard to do the right thing in a world which is badly fallen from grace. Belief in and worship of God is a daily thing, part of everyday life, and there is no huge evangelistic push here.

This is part mystery, part family tale, and all love story - between a father and a child. The characters are all likable, f
Vivian
Sep 01, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This must be my summer for reading about people from West Virginia or stories set in West Virginia. Chris Fabry has provided a story that literally tugs at your heart-strings. It was impossible to read about June Bug and her father and not feel emotionally invested. This is a wonderful story about how a little girl is saved by her "father" and in turns winds up being his saving grace as well.
Dionne
Oct 31, 2013 Dionne rated it it was amazing
This is one of my top favorite books. I love the characters-they were well developed. June Bug feels like a real girl that you just want to spend time with. This book is a mystery from the start and is hard to put down. A book that didn't have curse words, or lots of negativity...nice for a change. I even shed a tear at the end and I wanted the book to keep going.
Glenda L
Aug 27, 2013 Glenda L rated it really liked it
I really liked this book ... picked it up as a daily find ... had never read anything by this author before ... liked it from the very first word. June Bug and her "Daddy" are characters that will stay with you for some time. It is very well written and true to life. It is a story of love and forgiveness ... I would recommend it.
Kathy
Apr 29, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
June Bug captured my interest from Chapter One when the young girl sees her face on a missing child flyer at the Walmart where she and her dad have parked their old RV. This book is mostly written from this street-smart, sensitive little girl's perspective. It is written by a Cristian author and there are several references to God, Christian people, and faith. I think it added to the story since it was never preachy.
The book kept my interest all the way through, and I really liked the way the b
Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I enjoed this novel by Chris Fabry. The story of June Bug was heart warming but it did take a long time to reach its climax. June's young life was turned upside down the day she saw a missing child in a Walmart store. Though she was only nine years old, she did know her dad loved her and did not immediately confront him. The story bounced back and forth from Dogwood,West Virginia where she was born to the RV where she lived with her dad. The author stretched out her road to personal discovery fo ...more
Sophie Wallerich
Oct 28, 2014 Sophie Wallerich rated it it was amazing
Cathy Fisher
Feb 09, 2015 Cathy Fisher rated it it was amazing
I so loved this book I have now read it twice. Both times in one setting. It's a story that grabs you and you can't stop till you find out what happens to this little girl and the man who had raised her since she was 2. He is such a hero, and the love between the two is a clear reminder that family is the ones that love you. Redemption, and believing in a God who loves us all. I cried a lot, snickered a few times, and heard my own memories of my childhood. You won't regret reading this book. Eve ...more
Suetheartist
Sep 08, 2014 Suetheartist rated it it was amazing
June Bug is about a little girl wiser and wittier than most people. Chris Fabry, the author tells a tale that has a ton of heartbreaking moments but mixed with enough hope to sustain the reader and a strong sense of humour to give this novel a rating of 5stars. The story at first glance is about the abduction of a 2 year old little girl-June Bug. The story goes back and forth from present to past setting the stage for the reader to easily fall in love with June Bug but further more and very stra ...more
  • Words
  • Seeing Things
  • The House on Malcolm Street
  • Veiled Freedom
  • Reinventing Leona
  • In Search of Eden (Second Chances Collection, #2)
  • Watch Over Me
  • Shadows of Lancaster County
  • Through the Fire
  • The Inn at Angel Island
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • Who Is My Shelter?
  • Intervention (Intervention, #1)
Chris Fabry is an award-winning author and radio personality who hosts the daily program Chris Fabry Live! on Moody Radio. He is also heard on Love Worth Finding, Building Relationships with Dr. Gary Chapman, and other radio programs. A 1982 graduate of the W. Page Pitt School of Journalism at Marshall University and native of West Virginia, Chris and his wife, Andrea, now live in Arizona and are ...more
More about Chris Fabry...