Start by marking “The Cultural Landscape: An Introduction to Human Geography” as Want to Read:
The Cultural Landscape: An Introduction to Human Geography

The Cultural Landscape: An Introduction to Human Geography

An introductory text for human geography courses which covers the basic principles in human geography, following a topical approach. The first half of the book concentrates on elements of cultural geography, the second on economic geography.
Hardcover, (9th Edition), 534 pages
Published February 1st 2007 by Prentice Hall (first published 1989)

sanguine.shaman
Jun 26, 2016 sanguine.shaman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so this is a good textbook.

Our teacher was... not that great for this class, but this book was really thorought and covered all the material in an interesting way. There were plenty of maps and visuals to aid understanding of the text.

I'll be honest, I didn't get a study review book for the AP Exam, I just read the textbook and took notes. And although we haven't gotten our scores yet, I feel pretty confident that I did well.
Kieranrobert
Dec 24, 2010 Kieranrobert rated it it was amazing
This is the textbook I utilize in my AP Human Geography class. It is the best text for this course.
Hope
Dec 12, 2016 Hope rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only opened this once I hated it.
Whitney
Jan 29, 2009 Whitney rated it really liked it
I know, I'm a nerd. But I love AP! I've learned so much in that class! I actually enjoy reading the textbook...
You can call me a nerd now, if you want to.
Sara
Feb 14, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, nonfiction
I found most of the information in this book really interesting. If it weren't for the several chapters I found mind-numbingly boring, it would have probably earned a four-star rating. It might not even be fair to give it three stars based solely on my preference for certain subjects over others, but I'm not doing that exactly. I feel that the layout of each chapter is what makes learning about a topic you don't particularly care for an excruciating process. It feels like a lot of stuff is rehas ...more
Jonathon
Aug 29, 2013 Jonathon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book taught me many important things (that I am sure I will never use again), it also bored me out of my mind. The cover is by far the most interesting part. While it has some good pictures and a few entertaining but utterly useless facts, I didn't appreciate spending most of my waking hours outlining a book that likes to state the incredibly obvious. The hardest part is remembering all the models for all the junk no one cares about.
However, I'm not saying that this is a bad book to
Ashley Elliott
Apr 12, 2016 Ashley Elliott rated it really liked it
Read this for school (the Human and Cultural Geography DSST, if anyone's interested), and I don't normally add "school books" to my Goodreads unless they're fiction or whatever. The only adding this one is because it was HUGE and I was SO PROUD OF MYSELF for finishing it. Weighing in at like seventy pounds and 500 pages, this one was pretty massive. I had to bribe myself with episodes of Downton Abbey to finish it. I really enjoyed learning about all of this stuff, but I would've enjoyed it more ...more
Raena
Mar 17, 2014 Raena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, school
'Twas the book I used for AP Human Geography in high school. It's very informative & easy to understand. Various topics were discussed; I learned about how politics, human activities, and geography interact with each other. Also includes a bunch of maps that show things like GDP, life expectancy, etc for each country. The book will also teach about differences between maps e.g. political map vs physical map, etc. I really like history and learning about other countries, so I enjoyed reading ...more
Brio
Jul 02, 2012 Brio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone remotely interested in cultural or geo science, this book is the best starting point I've come across. 14 chapters, all well written and booming with type of vocabulary needed for anyone serious about getting in to this as a field of study.
There is also an accompanying software that is FULL of interesting photo essays and documentaries.
Fantastic source of research topics!
jess
May 11, 2016 jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally done with this course! I've been working towards the official AP exam all year and I've just taken it today! If you have the opportunity to take this course in high school, I recommend that you do. It's applicable to real life and makes you a lot more aware of the events going on around you!
Dwmalu
Jun 11, 2015 Dwmalu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Some parts are white-supremacist, and a lot of the information is out of date. Still can be used if one wants the "unchanged" concepts, but statistics are not reliable. Pictures do not always make sense (in the context of the passages).
Psychpanda
Nov 07, 2014 Psychpanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book is helpful to learn human geography. (which we will never need to know). It Is a waste of time. Just skimming through is enough to make you want to ride 20 roller costers to get over the bordam.
Hannah
Interesting pictures, contemporary geographic tools, world statistics..
and more...
This book is excellent. It mostly has 2/3 of what you will need to pass the DSST Human/Cultural Geography test. Read up on Barrons AP Human/Cultural Geography and you should be good to go. :)
Kris
Sep 09, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it
I thought it really was fantastic, maybe some of the information not entirely needed. But definitely a go to book for any geo related anything that might be needed. Some great cultural highlights as well.
Cassi Steele
Mar 31, 2009 Cassi Steele rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cassi by: Mr. Stucki (It wasn't a recommendation)
Shelves: nonfiction
Many things. How to BS an essay was a big one.
Kaitlyn
Oct 08, 2016 Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
I haven't finished this book yet, but so far for my class it's a great book and is pretty interesting, as far as textbooks go. It should set me up for success this spring during the AP Exam
Nikhita
Aug 14, 2014 Nikhita rated it really liked it
Actually quite interesting for a textbook, not mind numbingly boring and keeps interest for passages that you may have to read in class
Teri Temme
Jun 15, 2015 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well laid out textbook. Enjoyed the course!
Jason
Jul 22, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing
I still go to this book when I need to refresh my geography knowledge. This book is excellent for anyone with interests in geography.
Mary
Jun 09, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Very informative and interesting.
Dani Marescotti
May 01, 2012 Dani Marescotti rated it liked it
Had to read it for AP. Descent enough information, but it could also be way better...
Camille
AP Human textbook. Read every page and caption.
Amanda Etter
Amanda Etter rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Jennifer E. Halsey
Jennifer E. Halsey rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Brian Deal
Brian Deal rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2017
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Cassandra Smyers
Cassandra Smyers rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2017
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mr. Stucki's Obsession with This Book 4 54 May 13, 2009 03:08PM
  • America: Pathways To The Present
  • The Power of Place: Geography, Destiny, and Globalization's Rough Landscape
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals; Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds
  • Why Geography Matters: Three Challenges Facing America: Climate Change, the Rise of China, and Global Terrorism
  • Reef Fish Identification: Florida Caribbean Bahamas
  • The Complete Modern Blacksmith
  • Cultural Intelligence: Improving Your CQ to Engage Our Multicultural World
  • The Elements Encyclopedia of the Celts
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Architecture: World's Greatest Buildings, Styles and History, Architects (Eyewitness Companions)
  • The Sacred Way: Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life (Emergent YS)
  • Gemstones of the World
  • Don't Know Much About Geography: Everything You Need to Know About the World but Never Learned
  • The Western Heritage Since 1300