Start by marking “Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica: Celtic Queen” as Want to Read:
Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica: Celtic Queen

Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica: Celtic Queen

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Meticulously researched and imaginatively wrought, Warrior Queen is the sweeping epic of a flame-haired woman who would dare to challenge the vicious might of the Roman Empire-and whose name would echo throughout history.

In 43 A.D., Boudica became the queen of a Celtic tribe-and a Roman sympathizer. But after years of loyal service to the Empire, she would find herself b
Published June 7th 2005 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about Warrior Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warrior Queen

Tara Chevrestt
I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if it had been strictly about Boudica. However, every other chapter was about a Roman woman or Roman general or Roman emperor. I could have done without the incestous thoughts and ways of the Romans. Lots of it was irrelevant to the story of Boudica. Boudica, in this novel, is an arrogant person. She literally bit off more than she could chew. What really did not sit well with me, throughout the entire novel, was the fact that she catered to Rome and all ...more
Sue
Jul 18, 2008 Sue rated it really liked it
This book makes you want to go out screaming and kick some Roman ass! Unfortunately, the ending is the same as always...dammit.
Morgan
Dec 27, 2015 Morgan rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this book. Maybe a feel-good, women empowerment epic? Well, it definitely didn't leave me with warm fuzzy feelings. If I had actually looked up the story of Boudica before reading this novel, I'm not sure I would have had the guts to go through with reading it, but I'm glad I did.

An epic spanning the breadth of the Roman Empire, Warrior Queen focuses on multiple plots that coalesce into one story line. First and foremost, there's the story of Boudica
Kristen
Sep 11, 2015 Kristen rated it it was ok
This was unquestionably a well-written historical fiction book, about a fascinating character in a very engrossing time in history. Unfortunately, it felt depressing to me because of the ending.

To be fair to the author, he did a fabulous job of making historical events into a very action-packed, exciting and engaging read. The character of Boudica, in particular, but also all the people around her were written in an interesting way and felt very three-dimensional and realistic.

Certainly the even
Robert
May 10, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok
It was ok. I'm not going to take much time with this review. I'd guess the history was accurate, but the story felt more like an eighth grade social studies historical fiction read than anything else. I'm interested in the subject, so I soldiered on through it, but there was a lot of sensationalized, gratuitous sex and violence, which was real in her life, but really not too interesting. It was ok (two stars), but only becase I'm interested in the subject.
Megan
Fine but not memorable. The asides into imperial Roman life were interesting at first, but didn't apply to the main plot the way they could have. Boudica herself should have had more of the story, though I did enjoy the parts with Suetonius.
Roni
Dec 02, 2009 Roni rated it liked it
Recommended to Roni by: DJ Bono
Shelves: book-swap
Becky
Feb 25, 2016 Becky added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Tried to read it after loving Pirate Queen, and just couldn't get through it.
Crystal
Mar 22, 2010 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I liked this book mainly because it's about a time period I don't often read about, and I love historical fiction. I thought the characterization was rough in parts but that the attention to detail made up for a lot of it. I love detail, especially when I'm reading about a time period I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm not sure I agree with the title for the book ... so much of it was about Rome; it seems like the plot just checked in on Boudica every now and then. I am curious now to learn more about her
Eric Hartman
Jan 03, 2013 Eric Hartman rated it it was amazing
I have a real affinity for the story of the queen of the Iceni, who sisted the Roman Empire, during the 1st century AD. After the Romans betrayed and murdered her husband and violated her daughters, Boudica set out to retake her lands and free her people. Fortunately, I had a chance to visit her memorial and a few key locations, in England, that are paramount to her story. An incredible woman and an even more incredible leader.
Joy
Apr 14, 2010 Joy rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
Ok, it was pretty interesting, and it definitely was historically accurate. But, I just don't love reading war. At least gory details of war. And apparently, I'm a bit prudish about the icky details of Roman sexual lechery. It didn't bother everyone in the book club, though.
Ateiluj
Jun 06, 2011 Ateiluj rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes historical novels and celtic stories.
Recommended to Ateiluj by: I found it on a library.
Shelves: historical-novel
I think this is a good way to get to know the story of Boudica, the Celtic queen. The way it is written allows you to read it fast and it encourages you to investigate further about this theme. It also gives a realistic perspective about the Roman empire in this early years.
Lisa Lap
Jan 11, 2008 Lisa Lap rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I liked the historical aspects of Britain fighting against Roman invasion and really failing for years. I liked the strength of Boudica but also her vulnerability when it came to love of her husband and her daughters.
Adrienna
Jan 10, 2009 Adrienna rated it it was ok
The action scenes were well-written and blew me away. It had a lot of historical and mythical aspects to the book, which also fascinated me. I really like to see a woman as a "warrior queen".
Shilo
Dec 29, 2008 Shilo rated it did not like it
After reading the Boudica books by Manda Scott, this one just couldn't keep my attention. I didn't even finish it.
Kathleen McRae
Jul 23, 2011 Kathleen McRae rated it liked it
a lot of history but written in a style that reminded me of the award winning series Rome. It should be successful
Nichola
Oct 25, 2013 Nichola rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I learned British history that I didn't learn in Britain!
Denise
Nov 21, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-rights, fiction
I preferred the Boudica books by Manda Scott.
colleen
Nov 27, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: scpl, historical
read 06.12.06
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it really liked it
Shelves: published-2004
Human qualities redress the bones of myth
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Jul 24, 2016
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Conrad Thompson
Conrad Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Bone Carson
Bone Carson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Kelly Klein
Kelly Klein marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • The Raven Queen
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • The Song of Rhiannon
  • A.D. 500: A Journey Through The Dark Isles Of Britain And Ireland
  • Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)
  • Confessions of a Pagan Nun
  • The Book of Kells
  • Memnon
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • Saint Julian
  • Port Royal
  • The Celtic Heroic Age
  • Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Rose Demon
  • The Thrall's Tale
  • The Battle: A New History of Waterloo

Alan Gold began his career as a journalist, working in the UK, Europe, and Israel. In 1970, he emigrated to Australia with his wife, Eva, and now lives in St. Ives, Sydney, where he divides his time between writing novels and running his award-winning marketing consultancy.
More about Alan Gold...