Start by marking “Second Thoughts” as Want to Read:
Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts

Jess is a writer living in London. Andrew is a photographer on his way to New York. They do not fall in love -- not exactly -- but their brief encounter in Stansted Airport will impact both of their lives more than they can imagine. In Second Thoughts, the clean, emotional ink-work of Swedish newcomer Niklas Asker guides two characters through modern city life and love, as ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Top Shelf Productions (first published April 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Second Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Thoughts

Anna
Nov 03, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breu història sobre les vides d’una escriptora bloquejada creativament i un fotògraf que es planteja una fugida endavant que es creuen, breument, en un aeroport.
Reflexions sobre la soledat i la repercussió de les decisions preses (i , sobretot, les no preses) per insignificants que semblin.
Una obra on els silencis prenen tanta o més importància que les paraules dites o que queden per dir, amb un to molt nòrdic.

Dibuix sense pretensions ni sorpreses. Fins i tot es podria dir que contingut (cosa q
George Marshall
May 05, 2013 George Marshall rated it liked it
IS THIS VERY CLEVER OR SIMPLY BAFFLING? There are two storylines sharing one apartment (or flat as we say) - a guy photographer and his rock star girlfriend, and a woman writer and her girlfriend rock musician (who may or may not be the same person). In theory they intersect because the photographer and the writer meet at the airport- but they apparently live in exactly the same flat on the same road with the same furniture (though with some minor differences to the arrangements of pictures and ...more
Printable Tire
More of a short story than a graphic "novel." It's so quick to read and mostly inoffensive I don't really have any opinion about it, other than I sort of hate reading about writers, especially when the passages from their work included in the book are pretty meh.
Juju
Aug 01, 2012 Juju rated it it was ok
A brief, personal story about the moments when you can see the wheels coming off a relationship that tries to get a little too clever instead of providing emotional resonance. Asker's subtle line-work is definitely the reason to pick this up.
K.C. David
May 14, 2017 K.C. David rated it it was ok
Well this was shit, I found the meta duality meaning regarding female protaganists and insecurity cute though hence the two stars instead of one, still a shit book though.
Ron
Aug 19, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
The_Mad_Swede
May 28, 2016 The_Mad_Swede rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, svenskt, 2016
Second Thoughts is Swedish illustrator, painter and cartoonist Niklas Asker's debut graphic novel, and it is an interesting one. The story centers around a brief chance meeting at Stansted Airport, London, between Jess, a novelist who is awaiting the arrival of her rockstar girlfriend from the U.S., and John, a photographer who is waiting for a flight to the U.S. in order to escape the clutches of his London life. The two characters' narratives are interconnected on more levels than just this ch ...more
Matt Hartzell
Oct 19, 2014 Matt Hartzell rated it really liked it
Shelves: ogn-indie
I never was much of a fan of slice-of-life comics, but I'm finding myself enjoying them more and more as time goes on. I really enjoyed this quick read, a tale of two strangers who have a brief interaction and then seemingly go on with their separate lives. The storytelling does a wonderful job of intertwining these entirely unrelated lives in a way that feels connected.

I will say, I give this book major props. I really felt hopeful at the end. I thought, for one of the characters / couples, th
Artur Coelho
Jul 28, 2012 Artur Coelho rated it it was ok
Remorsos, quem não os têm? Nesta obra singular cruzam-se duas histórias num momento fugaz na transiência de um aeroporto. Numa, um fotógrafo foge da relação com uma música famosa, mas muda de ideias, é assaltado e acaba por, aliviado, descobrir que a namorada de nada se apercebeu. Na outra história uma escritora sente-se em processo de final da relação com a sua companheira, suspeitando ter sido traída noutro fuso horário. Enquanto espera que a companheira regresse a Londres vinda de Nova Iorque ...more
Sara
Jul 17, 2010 Sara rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics-gn
i picked this up because the art looked serviceable, and i like what i've read of Top Shelf's other Swedish comics (The Troll King, Hey Princess and, to some degree, 120 Days of Simon). Holy god was this bad. Just melodramatic stereotype characters doing melodramatic stereotype shit. It felt like a graphic novel adaptation of some of the worst stories we workshopped in my first beginner creative writing class in college. Not sure why Top Shelf bothered with this one. I didn't get very far into i ...more
Salamah
Feb 05, 2016 Salamah rated it it was amazing
I really liked this short graphic novel. It took about 20 minutes to read but it made you think. I won't tell what it is about but I liked the pictures and how Asker hid some clues in the pictures about where the story was going. I figured out early but I thought the story would go in a different direction. Very good first novel for Asker.
Loyd
May 12, 2009 Loyd rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Niklas Asker's Second Thoughts is a small, personal book that reminded me of Craig Thompson's work. It tells a story of a chance meeting in an airport, and how one conversation can set a person's life in a whole different trajectory. It feels more like a short story than a novel, like one of Miranda July's recent stories. I recommend it.
Thomas
Sep 13, 2013 Thomas rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, e-book
Asker's page layout and brush-work looks really nice, but it's perhaps a little too easy on the eye, and the strokes lack warmt and personality. The same can be said about the speculative story that's possibly trying a little too hard to be Kieslowski, rather than just sticking to honest characterisation. Still, it will be intersting to see where Asker goes from here – he is talented.
Abby
Jun 05, 2009 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
This was ok, a quick read and nice to look at but it didn't blow me away. The art is pretty but the pomo metanarrative twist felt really cliche to me (I think I might have groaned inwardly when I realized exactly how the two main characters lives were going to intersect). Go read some early Paul Auster if that's what you're looking for.
Emilia P
Oct 18, 2010 Emilia P rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Serviceable, pretty well drawn (got a good feel for the souls of the characters), but confusing. And unfocused, or just badly plotted out, even though it wanted to have a focus. So that was frustrating it. But no, I'm upping it to three stars on basis of illustration style. You win, Swedish dude.
Lorra Fae
Aug 03, 2012 Lorra Fae rated it liked it
lovely art, and a good story - but it got really confusing because of the 'secret' behind it - some of the time I did not know who was talking to who, but I guess that was the point.
Anyway, I liked it.
Ryan Haupt
Oct 04, 2010 Ryan Haupt rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Pretty to look at it, but not sure if I actually followed the story. Played like a double narrative but couldn't tell how the two narratives actually intertwined, if at all. May require a second pass to really understand but it's a quick read so not too heavy a burden.
Steve
Sep 22, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A great little story about two people living separate lives but who cross paths one day. Drawn very well though it was a bit difficult to follow which of the storylines I was following at a given moment.
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Initial thoughts: This one's so short, it should really be considered a "graphic novella" than graphic novel. Perhaps it's because it was so short that it hardly had anything to tell. The plot had such an incredibly flat line, I'm not sure if I missed the point of it. Meh.
Sep 27, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, page-45-club
I love lush, full-colour panels for their beauty, but sometimes a story stands out better in stark black ink, such as Second Thoughts. The story was bittersweet and slightly haunting, just the way I love my short comics.
Susan Rose
May 04, 2012 Susan Rose rated it liked it
This was a really nice story of a short seemingly incosequential meeting between strangers having lasting effects. The illustration was really beautiful, my only complaint was that it was a little too short.
Twan
Nov 17, 2012 Twan rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Either I'm thick as pig shit or the book was confusing. And if it turns out the book is confusing and that was the authors aim then I dislike it even more. Nice linework though, that's what the stars are for.
Kevin McGuire
Feb 11, 2015 Kevin McGuire rated it really liked it
Innovative narrative structure.
Lindsay Cole
Apr 29, 2016 Lindsay Cole rated it really liked it
Very slow day at work, so I've just been reading graphic novels to pass the time. This one was short but lovely.
Pilar
¡Lástima que sea tan breve! La historia se me ha hecho demasiado corta pero es de esas que sigue haciéndote pensar después de haberla acabado.
Brandy
Jun 17, 2009 Brandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2009, adult
Good art, engaging (if sad) story. I didn't love it but I can see the quality.
Benjamin
Jan 25, 2011 Benjamin rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Good art and story, but comes across like he's trying too hard to be smart and clever rather than just telling the story.
Romane
Mar 11, 2015 Romane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Pretty good book yet it has a bit confusing narrative structure. As I read further on, only then did I realize that the story is told in different perspectives of two people. A good read.
Betsy
Mar 07, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
(Read in advanced reading copy) This is a surreal take on relationships - what and who we take for granted. Amazon describes it aptly as Lost in Translation meets Stranger Than Fiction.
Mgarcia
Sep 27, 2012 Mgarcia rated it really liked it
Good story, surprising narrative, very nice illustrations.
  • Afrodisiac
  • Moving Pictures
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • The Spirit, Vol. 1
  • Garage Band
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #4)
  • On Loving Women