Start by marking “O Fantasma da Ópera” as Want to Read:
O Fantasma da Ópera

Read Book* *Different edition

O Fantasma da Ópera

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  131,980 Ratings  ·  3,724 Reviews
'O Fantasma da Ópera' é o caso típico da criatura que dominou o criador - no caso, o escritor francês Gaston Leroux. Este clássico mantém-se vivo no imaginário mundial ao longo de quase um século. Mas durante este período o texto de Leroux sofreu algumas modificações. Nesta edição prefaciada por João Máximo, nota-se o resgate do enredo original. Com um poder quase mágico d ...more
Paperback, Livros de Bolso – Série Grandes Obras, 268 pages
Published 2004 by Publicações Europa-América (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about O Fantasma da Ópera, please sign up.

Kam G. Salgueiro
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren Well, not really. I happen to really like the name Erik. But that's just my opinion.

Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
{BR with the lovely british lady Hayat}

3.5 Le Fantôme Stars

photo il_fullxfull.426017157_hqna_zps1ckupriw.jpg

photo tumblr_mij7hbLnWT1rojuj3o1_500_zpsacwgbxaz.gif

One of my New Year's resolutions is to read more classics. The Phantom of the Opera is a novel I've been meaning to read for a long time. If I was forced to choose a favorite musical, I would probably choose The Phantom. First time I saw it was with my mom, almost 10 years ago. I instantly fell in love with the
Emily May
May 17, 2015 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't view Wuthering Heights as a romance (and maybe those who do ^_^)
Shelves: classics, 2014, favourites
Persons who are visited by the Angel quiver with a thrill unknown to the rest of mankind. And they cannot touch an instrument or open their mouths to sing, without producing sounds that put all other human sounds to shame.

Erik, AKA The Phantom of the Opera, is Paris's answer to Heathcliff. This book is a darkly romantic tale of a man's descent into violence and madness, and the woman who forms the obsession at the centre of his life.

I should probably confess: I am a shameless lover of The Ph
Pramod Nair
Nov 02, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery, horror
“And, despite the care which she took to look behind her at every moment, she failed to see a shadow which followed her like her own shadow, which stopped when she stopped, which started again when she did and which made no more noise than a well-conducted shadow should.”

Gaston Leroux - who popularized an entire sub-genre of detective fiction called ‘locked room mystery’ through his works like 'The Mystery of the Yellow Room' and his fictional amateur sleuth, Joseph Rouletabille - is most renow
Madeline
Carol
Dec 12, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is a fantastic ghostly tale of love with so much more depth (and evil) to the storyline than I remember from either the play or "old" movie.

Be prepared for murder by hanging, frequent cries of terror from malicious "accidents", and suicide for just a smidgeon of what will "materialize". But, it's the mysterious Opera Ghost who lurks in the shadows using tricks and illusions to work his many evils behind a mask of horror and smell of death that will grab your attention th

TheKBSeries
Dec 30, 2008 TheKBSeries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life...I'm so not kidding. I saw the play years before I decided to read this book. I'm so sorry that I waited so long because it was fantastic! I plan to re-read it again! It has everything in it! It's scary, creepy, romantic, sweet, sexy, dark, sad, depressing, etc. This is the third book on my list that I would recommend to anyone that i meet! (having harry potter and the twilight series at number one and two spots. haha)

W A R N I N G *MAY be a spoiler in this next parag
Vane J.
Aug 07, 2015 Vane J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“If I am the phantom, it is because man’s hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me.”

I believe everyone has at least heard about The Phantom of the Opera. If not for the book itself, then it may be because of the movies. I knew it was a book, and I knew there were movies, but I’ve never watched any of them, and the book I read until now.

In any case, if you’ve heard about this story, then you know it’s a tragic one – and indeed, it is.

The Phantom of the Opera
Henry Avila
Jun 28, 2014 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorelli, a principal dancer in the beautiful, new, and fabulous Paris Opera House ( circa 1880), is angry, her dressing - room has been invaded, by half a dozen hysterical young ladies, ballet dancers. The frightened performers have seen the legendary Phantom (Ghost), claiming to have noticed a very ugly man, but well dressed, in the passageway. The superstitious but brave woman, opens the door quiet slowly and takes a peek. The shadowy, in gaslight, reddish walls, give a strange ambiance, but t ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Well, that was melodramatic.

Because I quit a book last week, I forced myself to finish this one. I can finish anything on audio, thought I. I am not a quitter, thought I. But after struggling to focus on this and backtracking 2 hours because I realized I had been daydreaming the entire time, I have come to the realization that the DNF review is not so bad a thing.

This read was torturous. I finished it but did not have a good time.

“You don’t love me. But you will.”

Sorry Erik but no. No I won’t.
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
DID NOT FINISH @ 73%

What a melodramatic book this is. Lots of swooning, lots of proclamations of love, and lots of unnecessary details that do not add anything to the plot.

'Tis where me and the ghost of the opera part ways for good. I will probably never know the original reasons as to why Erik - the ghost, the genius and the mad came to be what he is in the first place. I don't think I care much to find out either way.

All the care in the world you can give me and it will still be not enough for
Gemma
"Masterpiece" doesn't cut it. It's a work of art. To be honest, I didn't even know this was a book until I found it in the library, but now it's one of my favorites (let's put it this way -- I read it in one day). I love Gothic novels, but this one tops everything I've ever read. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I have no idea what people mean when they say it's hard to read. The characterizations are so vivid, it was like being sucked into the pages. From the follies of the opera managers, ...more
Jonathan

While I was in New York City, living it up on 7th and 27th, I decided that I would go see a musical, with friends, on Broadway. However, being the 'buy-first-think-later' student that I am, most of the musicals were out of my price range. The suitcase load of cheaper comics and novels had something to do with this. However, I did have enough cash to go with two of the ladies on the trip and get tickets to The Phantom of the Opera with Peter Jöback staring as the eponymous character. We all dress
Liz
Mar 28, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone

The story takes place in the Parisian opera house and the famous Phantom lives somewhere in its undergrounds.
Mysterious and music-loving, he even has a private lounge.
One of the chorus girls, Christine, lost her father who always told her about the Angel of Music and once, she hears this angel singing and follows him through a hidden door in his dark empire.

From this moment on the Angel of Music teaches her and Christine improves her singing until she is a well known and treasured singer.
Amanda
Sep 11, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: I saw the play - it was incredible
This book was surprisingly good... a surprise because most books written around this time (I believe this was written in 1909) seem to be very boring and/or difficult to read. I have seen the play (and loved it) and was always curious about the original novel, which, I'll say right now, is definitely worth reading. Very captivating and suspenseful and emotion-invoking. My only real complaint is on the character of Raoul who is often described as what I would call a "weenie" - crying alot and ful ...more
Evelina
Oct 28, 2015 Evelina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Νόμιζα ότι θα το λάτρευα αυτό το βιβλίο,όμως όοοοχι! Η γραφή του Leroux δεν έδενε,πήγαινε από τον αόραστο και τη βαρεμάρα στον ενεστώτα και την εγρήγορση χωρίς λόγο. Οι χαρακτήρες όλοι αντιπαθητικοί,κυρίως ο Ραούλ που ήθελα να του χώσω κάτι στο στόμα για να σταματήσει να μιλάει και να κάνει σα μυξιάρικο. Δεν μου προκάλεσε ανατριχίλα,δεν έζησα στην όπερα,δε ράγισε η καρδιά μου για τον αγνό έρωτα των δύο νέων ούτε για το δράμα του Ερίκ,που έκανε σαν ανώριμο παιδάκι, Γενικά,ΔΕΝ.
2/5 μόνο για το υπερ
Sophia Sardothien
Growing up with this classic seeing the play, movie, annotated book (the ones with a bunch of guiding questions) and comic. Ever since I was young I’ve grown an undeniable love for the phantom of opera - Erik.

In all versions, the story was told in a third person. However, I was hoping that in this book, I could empathise more with the characters. But in this case I felt rather distant with them. As I was forced to read from a lot of useless perspectives, which kept the pacing extremely slow.

The
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is another book that has been lingering around with a bookmark sticking out of it since October. It's not that it's a hard read - on the contrary, for an "old" book, it's incredibly readable. I don't know who did this translation or whether that has anything to do with it, but it is easy to read. But to be honest, it lacks something. It's just not as dramatic as the musical, though it has its moments.

I've never seen the musical, sadly; I've only the seen the most recent movie version - whi
Beatrice
Oct 11, 2015 Beatrice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I've watched the musicale years ago and I loved it. I decided to give this one a try as an audio book since it's short and I want to read at least one classic novel per year. I just find this an okay book. The prose isn't my cup of tea and the narrator almost bored me to death. Some parts are unnecessary and I just couldn't connect with the characters.

I guess It's not for me.. I think I'll just go with the musicale version.
Apatt
Oct 31, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
“No more talk of darkness. Forget these wide-eyed fears. I'm here, nothing can harm you. My words will warm you and calm you...”

OK OK, I won't go there, no Andrew Lloyd Wibbly in this review. The Phantom of the Opera seems to have joined the rank of books that few people bother to read because too many people assume they already know the entire story. There is a lot more to the novel than a crazy guy with half a mask abducting a girl just to give her some free singing lessons. I mean who does
Tatiana Arutyunova
Ana Carter  シ
The movie was really good
Chrysann
May 30, 2012 Chrysann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many things I could say about this book, and most of them aren't good. There was literally ONE thing I actually enjoyed.

Leroux presents the "strange affair" of the Phantom to us as if it were fact. Normally that wouldn't bother me too much, but it is continually insisted upon until you want to shout that there is no way it is at all possible and to kindly take your insanity elsewhere in case it's catching.

The plot is convoluted at best and constantly bounces between the main action
Hadrian
The plot is simple enough, our heroine has a nasty case of Stockholm Syndrome, and it's only too obvious that this is a patchwork serialization, but the author has a talent for writing an enchanting Gothic atmosphere. A good bit of fun for an afternoon.
Alicia Reid
“Raoul,” she said, “forget the man’s voice and do not even remember its name…You must never try to fathom the mystery of the man’s voice.
“Is the mystery so very terrible?”
“There is no more awful mystery on this earth.”

This is not a ghost story. Yet, at the same time, it is about a haunting.

The Phantom of the Opera is about a madman, Erik, who is infatuated with the singer Christine Daaé and consumed by his hatred towards humanity. He resides underneath the Paris Opera House, which he haunts
Laura V.
-¿Usted tiene miedo... y dice que me ama? Si Erik fuera bello, ¿me amaría usted, Christine?

-¡Desventurado! ¿Por qué tentar al destino? ¿Para qué preguntarme cosas que he ocultado como un pecado en el fondo de mi conciencia?

La película definitivamente tiene una visión romántica que no puedo atribuir al libro. En serio. Tanto Christine y Raoul, son completamente patéticos, sin ánimos de ofender. No tienen ni un solo rasgo que pueda rescatar.

En cambio, el fantasma es un personaje de lo más comp
Black Elephants
Hold your hand up at your eyes as if you are about to pull the trigger of a pistol because we are about to discuss the ins and outs of the the mystery that Gaston Leroux claims to have succintly unraveled in The Phantom of the Opera. Like most great science fiction—Jekyll and Hyde, Frankenstein, etc—Leroux promises that the indepth research, second-hand accounts and confessions he has collected will finally unveil the labyrinthine scandal that still is fresh in the memories of Parisians.

And what
Johanna
Whew, that was a marathon.
Yamini
For the most part, I thought this novel was good. But I had so many little issues with it that I can’t say it was a great read as a whole. I know the adaptations done are considerably more enjoyable so I look forward to those, but the novel was at times a hit and miss for me.

I didn’t understand the characterization of Erik. I was confused at every other chapter whether we were supposed to sympathize, pity, or loathe him. I generally just thought he was an asshole but the way Christine treats him
Shaun
Mar 02, 2014 Shaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
By current standards, this is not the easiest book to invest/lose yourself in, yet I'm still going with five stars and here's why.

A little background

Best described as a Gothic mystery/romance, The Phantom of the Opera is a beast meets beauty affair presented as if a true story being told through the eyes of Leroux and based on his own personal inquiries and research. It was originally published in French as a serialization in the early 1900s, and was later collected and published together as a
Gina Mora
Mar 29, 2011 Gina Mora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011, favorites
One of my new favorite books of all time...and one of the saddest. I never realized what a tragic character Eric, or the Opera Ghost, was. He just wanted to be loved. This does not excuse all of his behavior, but it does explain it. From his childhood, even his mother rejected him and despised him. I know that Christine is supposed to be the heroine of the novel and Raoul is supposed to be the hero. Yet, I found Raoul to be whiny, immature and just young- in the throws of a first love like all t ...more
Is the movie of "Love Never Dies" a worthy sequel? 28 94 Jan 22, 2016 03:00AM
She should have chosen the phantom 181 863 Nov 28, 2015 03:51PM
Bookworm Belles: Let's Discuss The Phantom of the Opera 1 5 Oct 28, 2015 06:05AM
Chicks On Lit: Phantom of the Opera (Classic Club) with discussion schedule 52 105 Oct 10, 2015 09:09AM
Reading the Classics: The Phantom of The Opera 29 227 Jul 30, 2015 10:24AM
  • The Mysteries of Udolpho
  • The Phantom of the Opera: Piano/Vocal
  • The House of the Vampire
  • The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.3)
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Harry Potter, #8)
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • Lost Illusions (La Comédie Humaine)
  • The Vampyre: A Tale
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Cinderella
  • Twelfth Night
  • The Monk
Gaston Louis Alfred Leroux was a French journalist and author of detective fiction.

In the English-speaking world, he is best known for writing the novel The Phantom of the Opera (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, 1910), which has been made into several film and stage productions of the same name, such as the 1925 film starring Lon Chaney, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical. It was also the basis of the 1
More about Gaston Leroux...

“If I am the phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me.” 412 likes
“Erik is not truly dead. He lives on within the souls of those who choose to listen to the music of the night.” 361 likes