Start by marking “Death Walked In ” as Want to Read:
Death Walked In

Death Walked In (Death On Demand #18)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  757 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Max Darling hasn't been interested in crime since his brush with a seductive young woman put him in danger of losing his freedom. He even refuses to talk to a woman who calls for help and says she is afraid. The caller leaves word she's hidden something in the antebellum house Max and his wife, Annie, are restoring. When Annie finds out, she hurries to the woman's home, on ...more
Published March 31st 2009 by Avon (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Death Walked In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Walked In

"Max Darling hasn't been interested in crime since his brush with a seductive young woman put him in danger of losing his freedom. He even refuses to talk to a woman who calls for help and says she is afraid. The caller leaves word she's hidden something in the antebellum house Max and his wife, Annie, are restoring. When Annie finds out, she hurries to the woman's house, only to discover her shot. Annie hears her final whisper as she hold the dying woman's hand.

"Evidence links the dead woman to
Max and Annie Darling live on Broward's Rock, off the Carolina coast, where they routinely get involved in murder mysteries--through no fault of their own, of course! This time, in response to a message that Max ignored, Annie finds herself at the side of a dying woman who claims to have hidden some stolen gold coins in the old house Max and Annie are restoring. Of course she dies before she can reveal the hiding place, but does reveal that the thief, whom she saw burying the coins, came from th ...more
Sometimes you just need to put aside anything that has any socially redeeming value and read something fun. Carolyn Hart is just the ticket. One of the founders of Sisters in Crime, Hart resides in Oklahoma City, but writes lovingly of life on a fictional sea island off the coast of South Carolina (near the very real Hilton Head Island). Not a compelling story, but one of the strengths of Hart's Death on Demand series is that the story are based around a bookstore which sells only mystery books. ...more
One always likes hidden places in old houses. And lots of family with problems. Good read.
Very enjoyable entry in the series. The murderer was a complete shock, totally did not see that coming.
Margaret Workman
I enjoyed it. A nice little cozy murder story.
Max gets a call from a caller who wants help after hiding something in the lovely old house that Max and Annie are renovating. Annie runs to the woman's house and gets there just in time for the woman to die in her arms from a gunshot wound. At another nearby house, some rare gold coins had been stolen during the night. The dead woman's son is framed for both the robbery and murder and Annie and Max, convinced of the boy's innocence, seek the murderer. Of course, they are shot at and there is a ...more
This book was really 3 + for me. The characters were well described. The lead characters were likeable. A murder has been commited and Max's wife , Annie, stumbles upon the scene. There turns out to be a series of events and more murders. They revolve around a collection of valuable coins which have been stolen and a rich family who each have motives. It was too easy to figure out "who done it". But it was a good way to spend some time.
Mary Crawford
Great mystery. Kept me guessing till the end, which is typical of all Hart's books. Love her writing style.
Katherine Ford
Loved it so much I want to read the whole series.
B; took me awhile to get through this. Not that the story wasn't attention grabbing, just that life is keeping me too busy to enjoy one of my favorite past times. I like this series and appreciate that I can pick the up out of sequence and not feel like I'm missing too much. Hart does a good job of giving you just enough backstory without spending half the book recapping previous events.
This book was kind of blame. Really glad it was short.
Max and Annie find out that there are some coins worth millions in the house that they are remodeling and the person who gave them in the hint is dead? Who killed the person? Are the coins still in the house or did the killer take them already?
It wasn't super boring, but not quite as exciting as the last one.
Karen Hufman
It's a cute series. It takes place on an island, reminds me of the south but I'm not exactly sure where. A wealthy resident of the island gets some expensive coins stolen from his estate at the same time his family is visiting. His housekeeper is murdered and her troubled son is arrested. Max and Annie are sure he's innocent and set about proving it.
Passable entertainment for a lazy summer afternoon, but not up to this cozy mystery series' standard. Generally I find the antics of Annie and Max Darling to be much more engaging. However, as always, I do love the island they live on, and the food descriptions are beguiling.
Nick Duretta
This is a very workmanlike cozy mystery with a by-the-numbers plot. Murder is committed, a very typical landry list of suspects isidentified, and so on. Hart's protagonists Max and Annie are cute and clever, and the island setting is enjoyable, but that's about it.
Mary Newcomb
Annie and Max Darling are about ready to move into their renovated dream home. Unfortunately there is a murder, then two, in the neighborhood. Despite not having their favorite investigators on hand, they manage to sort it all out in the nick of time.
Mary Z : )
I was about 2/3 of the way through this and realized I didn't care AT ALL who the killer was. The characters were not well defined, so I was confused as to who they were, and how they were all related. Good reason to put it down and walk away...
Dec 14, 2009 Gloria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
Shelves: mystery
This is a great, light, quick read. No sex, and the violence connected to the crime is not gory. Lots of clues revealed as the story unfolds. Pleasant read but not one that especially makes you want to go after the next one in the series.
Have not read the series for a while, but it seems that Annie Darling and her husband Max have really grown up. Loved this one, but very glad that Laurel puts in a very slight appearance.... Laurel is best in small doses!
Definitely not terrific but okay if you want to escape for a day or two. Annie and Max have gotten a little too perfect and are fairly annoying - or maybe I'm just sick of them and their idyllic Brower's Rock.
As always Carolyn Harts books are pleasing and she offers more fodder for future reading in her recommendations from the Death on Demand bookstore.This book had some intriguing twists and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Susan Erhardt
If you liked the series so far, you'll like this one. The characters seem to be losing some of their charm for me. Laurel, Emma, and Hennie are cartoonish and Annie and Max are becoming boring and somewhat hysterical.
Theresa Sivelle
I actually listened to this one in my car driving back and forth to work. I enjoyed the easy listening and the characters and there aren't very many "who dunnits" that I haven't liked.
A fun read for a summer afternoon. The ending wasn't a surprise, but Ms. Hart, as usual, has fun characters. Every so often I need a book where I don't have to think. Beach reading!
Donna Agnelly
A nice light read for the summer. I enjoy Carolyn Hart's Death on Demand series - this wasn't one of the best - figured out the killer pretty quickly but okay for a little light reading.
This was ok but I have determined that this series is not for me... I read 1 through 5 then skipped to #'s 17 & 18 but I guess Annie and Max Darling are not for me :/
A cute plot and easy to read mystery. Only annoying part of the book is the constant naming of other mystery authors and their books. It detracts from the story.
The Death on Demand mysteries are one of my favorite 'cozy' mystery series. They are a quick, enjoyable read for me and this latest one was more of the same.
Good book. Max Darling and his wife Anne become amateur detectives when someone is killed hiding something in their house that they are restoring.
Light and frothy, I figured it out, Annie did something dumb (twice) but was saved by another...again.
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping: A Mystery (Father Christmas Mystery #3)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Blind Rage
  • The Alpine Menace
  • Murder Past Due (Megan Clark, #3)
  • Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6)
  • Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #7)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Christmas Mourning (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #16)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)