Start by marking “Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)” as Want to Read:
Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)

Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  36,709 Ratings  ·  1,465 Reviews
Vamps in Chicago!

You’d think headlines like that would have provoked the fine citizens of the Windy City to take up arms against us bloodsucking fiends. Instead, ten months later, we’re enjoying a celebrity status reserved for the Hollywood elite—fending off paparazzi only slightly less dangerous than cross and stake-wielding slayers. Don’t get me wrong, Joe Public isn’t e
Published October 6th 2009 by NAL (first published September 2nd 2009)

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningMoon Called by Patricia BriggsDark Lover by J.R. WardMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
78th out of 2,993 books — 6,729 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Funny Paranormal Romances
20th out of 622 books — 1,380 voters

More lists with this book...

Carolyn  Storer
2.5 Stars

After reading Some Girls Bite, which I really enjoyed and thought was a great debut, Friday Night Bites is a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to see the characters grow a lot more, relationships moved to the next level, more action. Instead I got a rather lack lustre tale.

Merit has moved into the Cadogan House and is reluctant to leave her best friend and roommate Mallory, not to mention having to be in close proximity to Ethan Sullivan, her vampire master and maker, who she loathe
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
Footsteps, and then he was next to me, his body behind mine, his lips at the spot of skin just below my ear. I could feel the warmth of his breath against my neck. The smell of him-clean, soapy, almost discomfortingly familiar. As much as the want of it disturbed me, I wanted to sink back against him, let him envelop me.
Part of that, I knew, was vampire genetics, the fact that he'd changed me, some kind of evolutionary connection between Master and vampire.
But part of it was much, much simpler.
Duchess Nicole
Still a good read. Just not as dynamic as the first book, imo. It felt a bit like a stepping stone to the next book. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Morgan thing. I think Merit is getting crapped on all the time, by all her friends and family. Everyone expects so much from her, and she doesn't really have anyone to watch her back for her. I'm hoping that will change in forthcoming books. I listened to the audio of this book and the narrator is perfection for me.
DarienMoya
Apr 12, 2010 DarienMoya rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
Let me begin by saying that I was late getting into this book but when I did, let just say it held me captive and I did not want to go. The second book in the Chicagoland vampire series is just a wickedly awesome as the first. Welcome to Friday Night Bites, and we all reserve Fridays for eating out.

So Merit is back and kicking a**, a newly turned vampire her life just went from scholarly to fangtastic. After being attacked while walking home from her school campus she was saved by the change of
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
“Awkwardness, thy name is vampire.”

After Some Girls Bites introduced me to Merrit and her world, I was a little let down with this one.

Merit has settled down in her new world without much issue - embracing her new vampire state (although there's some confusing bumps in there), aligning the new life with her old one including problems with her best friend, being a bit unfair to the current guy dating her, still flirting but resisting Ethan, juggling family issues with her father and trying to s
Wealhtheow
Apr 02, 2011 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it
Merit was attacked by a master vampire in Some Girls Bite, and to save her life she was turned into a vampire. Since then, she's tried to figure out how to live as a vampire instead of a human, and as a warrior instead of a grad student.

This is a terrible book. The author seems to think that if she just describes her main character as a fan of the Cubs and lots of junk food, Merit will be a well-rounded, relatable character. Sadly, she doesn't put any effort into making Merit's decisions make s
Samantha
May 13, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
She wasn't nearly as frustrating this time around, but that didn't mean I didn't call her stupid multiple times, but at least I liked this one enough to continue the series, and am interested to know what happens next.
~~~~~~~~
Full review to come
Mitticus
2.5
First thought : where is the rest of the book?
I push myself to finish this book because I included it in a challenge.

It's you Ethan, the fault. And Merit for be so speshul that from a lit scholar suddenly is a kickass flamante martial art specialist just because she is a vampire.

No me gusta que Ethan considere tan de mal gusto que una mujer prefiera estar en la biblioteca y usar zapatillas deportivas, que usar el vestidito negro y hacer cosas más 'encachadas'. Que desgracia sinsentido.

Y no me
Felicia
Gary
Jan 23, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book but still an ok read four stars I think
Joanita
Aug 21, 2016 Joanita rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, gr2016
“But before you alienate everyone who cares about you, Mallory or Morgan or whoever, remember who you were before this happened, before you were changed. Try to find some balance. Try to find a place in your life for the things that mattered before he changed you.”

Merit is still struggling with her vampire, who feels apart from her, which is not the way it should be. But she’s too afraid to mention it to anyone, too afraid of the consequences. So she’s constantly battling against her vampire

Alex is The Romance Fox
I enjoyed Some Girls Bite, which was a great debut in Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires Series and I was looking forward to Merit’s next adventure.
I am not sure if I am totally into this series…..Friday Night Bites was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Nothing exciting or new happening here….…it’s once again:

The House of Cadogan is betrayed by one of their own
Merit continues to irritate me to no end……so many times I wanted to tell her…”grow up!!”
The relationship between Ethan Sullivan & Mer
valee
Jun 28, 2010 valee rated it it was amazing
I'm still tremendously happy I made this re-read. Here goes my second review.

The book picks up right where book 1 ended. In this installment we get to know Merit and some other characters better.The writing style of the author is amazing. The plot is even better. I love how Chloe Neill gets to mix the old vampire world with modern times. It seems so real. That's what I like the most about this series. Even though they are vampires, they look totally normal and the interactions between them are r
Didi
This was so, so, so, SO GOOD. So good. I LOVED IT.

The layers of love I have are so intricate and complex, like this fine specimen of a book. There was more action, more intensity, more political intrigue between the supernaturals, more growth, more Ethan and Merit and more cut-the-tension-with-a-knife sexuality. WOW!

I love Merit. She is the model image of the perfect, strong female heroine. She is brave and intelligent, loyal and giving, emotional and reserved. I'm enjoying this series so much p
Mariana
4 stars

I read this book like a maniac. I neglected my studies (oops), held my breath, and just read. But I can't really pinpoint any particularly amazing moments, besides the ending. Holy moly, those last 10% were explosive!

As far as relationships are concerned, Merit's got a lot on her plate.

She's got a horny, magic-ridden best friend occupying her flat with her beau. None other than Catcher Bell, Merit's ruthless physical coach. Can you see how that particular intersection could be troublesom
Flannery
I'm totally addicted to this series. Cheesy? Maybe, but I don't give a s*$t. Too many people with "bright, blue eyes"? Definitely. Sexy vampires? Check. And a sense of fun? I'm sold. I'm so ecstatic that I got the three books in the series from the hold list at the library around the same time--I'm just a little worried how long I'll have to wait once I finish the third one tomorrow! :-(

To those of my friends that are wondering what the heck this series is about, here you go: A grad student fro
AJ
Feb 15, 2015 AJ rated it liked it
Book 2 in the Chicagoland series finds new vampire, Merit, embracing her immortality and moving into Cadogan House with her fellow vamps, including enigmatic House Leader, Ethan Sullivan, in order to ‘connect’ with her kind, and fully take on the role of house Sentinel.

She is continuing to learn about her new world, a world in which humans are still coming to terms with the existence of vampires, but when a threat is received from within the rich circle of Chicago’s elite – the circle that Merit
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

4.5 Merit's a badass stars

I must warn you that this review will be more the expression of my feelings towards the book and especially the characters' development, because, hey, that's difficult to review several books from the same series in a raw.

You know," I said, biting into an onion ring, "I feel like things would go a lot smoother for you if you'd just admit that I'm always right.

As I said in my review of Some girls bite, there is something which truly and profoundly appeals to me in t
The Flooze
**3.75**

::blink::

Wait a second! You can’t just leave off there! Mid mysterious message! That’s not fair!

Harrumph…

Friday Night Bites began on rocky ground. At first, it lacked the flow that made Some Girls Bite stand apart from the crowd. Neill seemed to be trying too hard to recap the events of the first book. She also put way too much focus on staging the scene, giving so many minute details that the movie in my head kept grinding to a halt.

Gradually, I stopped noticing the overabundance of de
Annika
Mar 25, 2016 Annika rated it really liked it
Shelves: rereads-2016
I can't help it - I just really love these books, and I love Merit, and I hate Ethan but at the same time he's absolutely and completely delicious and I need more and basically all the characters are perfect.
Bry
Jun 06, 2010 Bry rated it really liked it
Freaking cliffhanger! I want to get my hands on Twice Bitten now! How can you end it like that?!

This book was great. I was furiously reading it as quickly as I could to solve some of the mysteries and ended up reading it all in a day. What really shone in this book though were the relationships - their rises, falls, crash and burns in some cases.

Merit is a really great heroine. She's totally relate-able while still supernaturally out of reach. She has family problems, friend problems, boy probl
Jilly
Jul 25, 2015 Jilly rated it really liked it
These books are fun. Just like the perfect summer vacation - light, easy, fun, hunky men, beautiful water and sand everywhere.. okay, maybe not exactly like it, but fun!

chris hemsworth photo: chris-hemsworth-shirtless20wet chris-hemsworth-shirtless20wet-1.jpg
oh yeah, isn't summer the best?

What?? Oh, yeah, the review thingy...

So, Merit is a new vampire and she has had an eventful beginning.

My first few weeks as a vampire had been inordinately busy. Like "The Young and the Restless", but with slightly dead people.

This time, there is a reporter who is looking to expose the vampires
Kat Kennedy
Aug 17, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it really liked it
Review to come, bitches.

On a more personal note: cat + ceiling fan + squirt gun.

Not for the faint of heart but could be made into an Olympic sport.
UKSandy
Mar 25, 2011 UKSandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april-2011
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, adult, 2011
4.5 stars (pretty damn close to 5)

The second addition to Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampire Series picks up where the first left off (and it’s recommended you read the first before diving into this one.) Merit is still learning to adjust to her new status as a vampire but as Sentinel to Cadogan House. News that vampires are conducting raves where humans are practically slaughtered causes Merit to have to become reacquainted with her family members in order to act as a buffer between vampires and
Vered
May 08, 2010 Vered rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vered by: new_user
Shelves: uf
I’ve enjoyed this book very much. Chole Neil writes UF drama, emphasis on relationships and politics, and she does so with great wit and care for her characters. The relationships are intense, which I like, the dialogues are sharp and often funny, and the world she created sucks you right in.
I’ve especially enjoyed Ethan development as a character, and his relationship with Merit.

Chole Neil does have a tendency to overwhelm the reader with details. It was very hard for me at first, but I got use
Ina
May 30, 2016 Ina rated it really liked it
I searched the shelves for something readable and decided on a book of urban fantasy from the popular fiction shelf. I left the library after a geekily wistful goodbye, promising the stacks that I'd return when I had more time.

First - Merit is my kind of girl. Whatever her faults, she loves to read and she likes urban fantasy. May we consider possibility of us becoming best friends?

Second - Cadogan House has library full of books, including urban fantasy (view spoiler)
Vini
A.H.M.A.Y.Z.I.N.G!!

Read Count : 3
Last Read : 16/5/16

::::Combined review of Books 1-12::::

I’d this series for a very long time in my kindle shelf and every time I thought of starting I saw a new book in the series.. so when we had a buddy read for paranormal books a few days ago, I saw them taunting me to pick ‘em up. & boy Am I Glad to start with it!?

I don’t usually read Vamp books and am not much a fan of Twilight but this had me hooked from the start. Literally this series was a huge pag
Fran
Sep 10, 2015 Fran rated it really liked it
I'm typically an apologist, but I just find it funny that now every guy seems to be infatuated with Merit. Hmm.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Merit is a kick-ass character!
I am officially a fan of Chicagoland Vampires and our sexy man Ethan.
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Jabril (Vampires in America, #2)
  • Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3)
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Pray for Dawn (Dark Days, #4)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--h ...more
More about Chloe Neill...

Chicagoland Vampires (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)
  • House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7)
  • Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8)
  • Wild Things (Chicagoland Vampires, #9)
  • Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires, #10)
  • Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)

“Jeff, I have a problem.”
“I’m glad you’ve finally realized I’m your answer, Merit.”
199 likes
“I wanted what most people wanted—love, companionship.
I wanted someone to touch. I wanted someone to touch me back.
I wanted someone to laugh with, someone who would laugh with me, laugh at me.
I wanted someone who looked and sawme . Not my power, not my position.
I wanted someone to say my name. To call out, “Merit,” when it was time to go, or when we arrived.
Someone who wanted to say to someone else, with pride, “I’m here with her. With Merit.”
I wanted all those things. Indivisibly.
But I didn’t want them from Morgan.”
165 likes