The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion Book 1

The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion Book 1 (The New Avengers #8)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Avengers are trapped in the Savage Land, battling friend and foe. And Spider-Man heads to the one person in the entire place he knows he can trust: Ka-Zar! But is it really him? This important chapter rewinds the events of the very first New Avengers story and shows how it connects to the Invasion. Plus: the break up of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage; a major development...more
Published March 11th 2009 by Marvel (first published December 10th 2008)

Holden Attradies
I know a lot of people were not fond of this and the next volume because of how it was disjointed one offs centering around Secret Invasion. But, I for one, was very fond of this. Secret Invasion was a massive story, and along with Civil War probably the best thing Marvel's done in the last decade. The characters in New Avengers were all so heavily tied into the Secret Invasion story line that I don't see how they could have continues a straight story during that event. With that all in mind it...more
Jaime
There are two New Avengers tie-in trades for the crossover event Secret Invasion. And honestly, there is no good reason, other than greed, why they weren’t collated into one book. Never-the-less, they are excellent tie-ins that really expand on the event and show how far back it truly began.

Book 1 goes quite a ways back to set-up the Secret Invasion, with the seeds laid right after Disassembled – even before House of M! The first two stories that open the book really don’t add much to the big p...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints New Avengers #38-42. Cage, Jessica, the Skrulls, Ka-Zar, Shanna, and Spider-Woman relive the events leading up the "Secret Invasion". First, I hated Secret Invasion. It was overblown, badly illustrated (it looked like everyone had pinkeye), and so piecemealed together that it made very little sense as a stand alone series. That being said, this is better than Secret Invasion because although these are stand alone issues, they made relative sense and provide a few answers to the Secret I...more
Brad
This is an essential tie in to Secret Invasion, but it jumps all over the place. Luke Cage (and his wife Jessica Jones), Echo, and Ka-Zar all get their own issues, while the Skrull queen gets two issues. It's neat to see the signature artists of Jones and Echo (Michael Gaydos and David Mack) return to their characters, and see both of them get woven into a massive Marvel crossover. The Skrull queen stories are all right, though it feels like Spider-Woman is being made too important a character.
I...more
Alger
There is nothing to say about this. It is the typical new Marvel product with stuttering stories that don't make much sense but have lots of Michael Bay-esque explosions and people getting into dire situations only to be rescued at the last moment by someone who had been following them, just so they can say "I thought I told you not to follow me", followed by "Aren't you glad I did." I swear that is 90% of this silly unfun book.

Stilll... it's readable.
Chris
Not sure why they had to bring the skrull back but the story was good and it answered some earlier questions. Hopefully Bendis will bring the Hood back soon since he was one of the more interesting and innovative villians.

random question: why do almost all the female characters have the same body type with only their chests and buns being different (meaning bigger)? Yeah, it's been asked a million times but even the aliens are dressed in slingshot bikinis. Is it too much to have some "average" l...more
Clay
After seeing all the hype and ads for this I was a LOT confused. Various artists didn't help.
It appears that they felt the need to appeal to all the fanboys and cover their tracks in Marvel history on how/why the Skrulls invaded Earth. It didn't make the story better and almost made it more confusing for the reader. I only read in trade and can't imagine reading this in a monthly format helped those that like the 30 day fix.
Bottom line, skip this unless you really want some Skrull history less...more
Sean
The general idea behind Secret Invasion in fantastic but this trade sadly, was too filled with characters that were unable to distinguish themselves in any way. I felt that the large amount of meaningless characters (Young Avengers, Initiative, Secret Warriors, etc.) took panels away from true personalities that are interesting.

On the art side, I thought Yu was not a good choice for a book that wasn't super dark. He does gritty very well, but superheroes, not so much. Just an average read.
Anthony
Mark
Shape-shifting aliens have infiltrated the Marvel universe. This book follows the events of Secret Invasion from the perspective of the New Avengers.

This is a good place to start for those interested in Secret Invasion.
Lots of story here and details of how the Skrull outsmarted everyone.

Notes
Confusing but fun.

Learning Curve
Moderate to High: Readers new to Marvel will likely be confused.

Reading Order
Occurs after the start of Civil War.
Robert Bowers
This was horrible. Just plain awfull. The first part of this volume, which is issue #38 of the series, is the worst book in the history of super hero comics. It was SO boring. Akin to watching paint dry, or watching a car race on TV, or watching the leaves change color. Get the picture? I won't go into story details because frankly, the book isn't worth it, because the book gets only marginally better after the first issue.
Soňa
Liked the story, like the painting :-) It brought more light to the story as I'm still new to Avengers.
Need to digest all the information to get full view but liked it.
Alexandra
My biggest problem with this--and *any* book that's a special event tie-in--is that it only makes if you've already read the main Secret Invasion storyline.
Scott Lee
Reviewed volume two first. This review could be a full on copy and paste of the other because the first volume follows the exact same format as the second.
Shannon Appelcline
A hard book to rate, as the first half is great characterization and the second half is dull backstory that's incomprehensible without Secret Invasion.
Anne
Really good for filling in the Secret Invasion blanks. You get to see just how many different things the Skrulls were responsible for.
Michael
This is great. There's such good mystery here, and the "big reveal" is pretty intense, although I picked up on it quite a ways back.
Angela
Fun avengers in the Savage land. The skrull versionas are amusing.
Alyssa
I only vaguely understood a thing that happened in this volume. :(
Stevie
I expected better. Even Bendis has off days, I guess.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Nathan Jiskra
Nathan Jiskra marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Tony Tone
Tony Tone marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Paul Porry
Paul Porry marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
  • X-Factor: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • Thor, Vol. 2
  • House of M: Spider-Man

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Learning Curve