Start by marking “The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion Book 1” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion Book 1

The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion Book 1 (Secret Invasion)

The Avengers are trapped in the Savage Land, battling friend and foe. And Spider-Man heads to the one person in the entire place he knows he can trust: Ka-Zar! But is it really him? This important chapter rewinds the events of the very first New Avengers story and shows how it connects to the Invasion.
Published March 11th 2009 by Marvel (first published December 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers, Vol. 8

Holden Attradies
Aug 17, 2012 Holden Attradies rated it really liked it
I know a lot of people were not fond of this and the next volume because of how it was disjointed one offs centering around Secret Invasion. But, I for one, was very fond of this. Secret Invasion was a massive story, and along with Civil War probably the best thing Marvel's done in the last decade. The characters in New Avengers were all so heavily tied into the Secret Invasion story line that I don't see how they could have continues a straight story during that event. With that all in mind it ...more
Gavin
Jul 12, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew. Wow. Pain. Anguish. Still up in the air...last issue of this shows the Skrull Cap and what happened to him to convince him he was the real deal...

I'm plugging away issue by issue, and avengers series's are the important parts.
J'aime
Apr 14, 2014 J'aime rated it it was amazing
There are two New Avengers tie-in trades for the crossover event Secret Invasion. And honestly, there is no good reason, other than greed, why they weren’t collated into one book. Never-the-less, they are excellent tie-ins that really expand on the event and show how far back it truly began.

Book 1 goes quite a ways back to set-up the Secret Invasion, with the seeds laid right after Disassembled – even before House of M! The first two stories that open the book really don’t add much to the big p
Valery Tzvetanov
Nice tie-in of Secret Invasion. I didn't like that there is no one full story line for this volume. We have instead 5 separate stories which are helping us understand better the main event. Some of the issues are good, others not so much. For me it was really difficult to remember what was going on some occasions and that’s why I’m rereading now Secret Invasion. If you read this book simultaneously with the main event it is really better. I wonder why some of the things are not present in the Se ...more
Anne
Apr 13, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good for filling in the Secret Invasion blanks. You get to see just how many different things the Skrulls were responsible for.
Silas
Sep 17, 2014 Silas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a page-turner. While in many ways, it was seemed to be just retroactive history, it fit so well that it's hard to tell how much was planned and how much was added in. I had read several related storylines for the Secret Invasion, but these are rather compelling, covering as they do a large span of the Marvel universe. It really does add quite a bit of depth to previous big arcs, as well as do a good job of putting them in sequence, which is not always clear. This only goes about h ...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints New Avengers #38-42. Cage, Jessica, the Skrulls, Ka-Zar, Shanna, and Spider-Woman relive the events leading up the "Secret Invasion". First, I hated Secret Invasion. It was overblown, badly illustrated (it looked like everyone had pinkeye), and so piecemealed together that it made very little sense as a stand alone series. That being said, this is better than Secret Invasion because although these are stand alone issues, they made relative sense and provide a few answers to the Secret I ...more
Brad
Oct 17, 2009 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
This is an essential tie in to Secret Invasion, but it jumps all over the place. Luke Cage (and his wife Jessica Jones), Echo, and Ka-Zar all get their own issues, while the Skrull queen gets two issues. It's neat to see the signature artists of Jones and Echo (Michael Gaydos and David Mack) return to their characters, and see both of them get woven into a massive Marvel crossover. The Skrull queen stories are all right, though it feels like Spider-Woman is being made too important a character.
I
Chompa
Dec 30, 2015 Chompa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, 2015
I did a reread of all the New Avengers recently. This is a standout in comics for me on so many levels. It has the best roster, best heart, best dialogue, best writing and phenomenal art. Bendis really nailed this story line and this entire run.
----
The Secret Invasion starts. Honestly, Bendis did a masterful job of stringing plot lines from the start of this series into the secret invasion. The view from the Skrull side was particularly interesting.
Alger
Mar 23, 2014 Alger rated it it was ok
There is nothing to say about this. It is the typical new Marvel product with stuttering stories that don't make much sense but have lots of Michael Bay-esque explosions and people getting into dire situations only to be rescued at the last moment by someone who had been following them, just so they can say "I thought I told you not to follow me", followed by "Aren't you glad I did." I swear that is 90% of this silly unfun book.

Stilll... it's readable.
Mairi
May 13, 2015 Mairi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of individual stories that tie in the Skrull invasion and individual New Avengers member's stories. There's also some about the Skrulls planning their invasion that is less connected to the characters of New Avengers. This and the next volume flesh out the Secret Invasion story, and are worth reading in addition to the main event story.
Jen
Jun 01, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the predecessors. The dialogue between Jessica and Luke could have been better, plus the last issue(s) really skimmed through Jessica's involvement the last few months without as much context to what we were seeing as I would have liked. It jumped a lot in the end. Still no conclusion with the Hood.
Mouse
Nov 13, 2015 Mouse rated it it was ok
Here's a story over here! And here's a story over here! But wait, let's add a story over here! But that's not all...act now and you'll get a story over here! But don't worry cause we won't even attempt to try to put them together and you can just try to figure it all out. Good luck!
Oliver Hodson
Nov 08, 2014 Oliver Hodson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't mind it at all though i'm kind of glad i didn't read any issues of the stories where people like jessica drew were actually skrulls but you were learning about them as chracters.

Like the mighty avengers secret invasion story, it helps to explain how certain plots developed in time for secret invasion.
Sharath Gopal
May 11, 2016 Sharath Gopal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YES. Finally, some action. I wasn't very happy with the main event, but I really enjoyed this tie in - mostly because they actually had some butt kicking in addition to the sense of paranoia they built up.
Mckinlay
i don't know, i spend 90% of my time confused when i'm reading comics, and then it all clicks. this is a big event so when i get to the end, i'm hoping it all comes together.
Sylvester
Honestly, the tie in could have been done by combining this with the next volume as the story is pretty thin. It was good to see Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were still fighting, the rest of the plot were not that interesting which involves Spiderman trapped in a jungle with some savages. Lastly, it showed us how the Skrulls got their memories from their victims. It was pretty uneventful, I couldn't really focus my attention on reading this volume at all.
Alice
Dec 22, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one fills in the blanks for how the Skrulls did what they did and how much they were really behind. Finally things are interesting again!
Craig
Nov 30, 2015 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nigh-incomprehensible. The only reason this gets 2 stars is the Gaydos and Cheung artwork.
Simon
Jan 26, 2016 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And this was as far as I got when my MU app crapped out on me.
Eric Mikols
Jun 02, 2014 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avengers
You know what's worse than a bad crossover? Bad crossover tie-ins.
Duchess Natalia of the Northern Lights in the sky
good comic. I hope I get to see wanda in volume 9
Meg Granger
Well I understood SOME of that...
Chris
Jul 11, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why they had to bring the skrull back but the story was good and it answered some earlier questions. Hopefully Bendis will bring the Hood back soon since he was one of the more interesting and innovative villians.

random question: why do almost all the female characters have the same body type with only their chests and buns being different (meaning bigger)? Yeah, it's been asked a million times but even the aliens are dressed in slingshot bikinis. Is it too much to have some "average" l
Gurkancatal95
Jun 08, 2016 Gurkancatal95 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clay
Jun 10, 2009 Clay rated it it was ok
After seeing all the hype and ads for this I was a LOT confused. Various artists didn't help.
It appears that they felt the need to appeal to all the fanboys and cover their tracks in Marvel history on how/why the Skrulls invaded Earth. It didn't make the story better and almost made it more confusing for the reader. I only read in trade and can't imagine reading this in a monthly format helped those that like the 30 day fix.
Bottom line, skip this unless you really want some Skrull history less
Sean
Dec 26, 2012 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The general idea behind Secret Invasion in fantastic but this trade sadly, was too filled with characters that were unable to distinguish themselves in any way. I felt that the large amount of meaningless characters (Young Avengers, Initiative, Secret Warriors, etc.) took panels away from true personalities that are interesting.

On the art side, I thought Yu was not a good choice for a book that wasn't super dark. He does gritty very well, but superheroes, not so much. Just an average read.
Anthony
Apr 08, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, avengers
Shape-shifting aliens have infiltrated the Marvel universe. This book follows the events of Secret Invasion from the perspective of the New Avengers.

This is a good place to start for those interested in Secret Invasion.
Lots of story here and details of how the Skrull outsmarted everyone.

Notes
Confusing but fun.

Learning Curve
Moderate to High: Readers new to Marvel will likely be confused.

Reading Order
Occurs after the start of Civil War.
Robert Bowers
Nov 01, 2013 Robert Bowers rated it did not like it
This was horrible. Just plain awfull. The first part of this volume, which is issue #38 of the series, is the worst book in the history of super hero comics. It was SO boring. Akin to watching paint dry, or watching a car race on TV, or watching the leaves change color. Get the picture? I won't go into story details because frankly, the book isn't worth it, because the book gets only marginally better after the first issue.
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • Siege: Thor
  • Dark Reign: Hawkeye
  • Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Secret Invasion (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Secret Invasion: The Infiltration
  • Secret Invasion
  • Secret Invasion: Front Line
  • Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust?
  • Secret Invasion: Home Invasion