Start by marking “Charlie and Lola: We Are Extremely Very Good Recyclers” as Want to Read:
Charlie and Lola: We Are Extremely Very Good Recyclers

Charlie and Lola: We Are Extremely Very Good Recyclers (Charlie & Lola)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After Charlie convinces Lola to recycle her old toys instead of throwing them away, Lola discovers a recycling competition. If she can recycle one hundred plastic, metal, and paper items, she can get her very own real live tree to plant. But she only has two weeks, so Lola decides to ask her classmates to help. They turn out to be extremely very good recyclers indeed. This...more
Published March 5th 2009 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Charlie and Lola, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie and Lola

Sarah W
This Charlie and Lola book combines drawings with real pictures in this story. Lola used to collect lots of things until one day at her friend's house. At first, Lola thinks recycling is some sort of bicycle.

The information is simplistic, but it gives a good idea for a class recycling project where a hundred things need to be gathered to earn a leaf on a tree counter poster. The book is also an example of a simple grassroots movement.
Shajeda Begum
This book by Lauren Child is about recycling; Charlie and Lola decide to start recycling their old toys instead of throwing them away. Lola then discovers a recycling competition where she has two weeks to recycle 100 plastic, metal and paper items. If she completes the competition she can get her a real tree which she can plant. Lola does not complete this independently she decides to ask everyone at school to help her; her friends are really enthusiastic and they manage to complete the competi...more
Holly
I was very excited to find a Charlie and Lola book on the environment! Charlie and Lola are two popular characters from Lauren Child's series and a BBC series sprung from the books. In this story, Charlie and Lola have a recycling contest to see who can recycle the most in two weeks. The prize? Their very own tree to plant. Charlie teachers Lola how to recycle toys and her classmates all chip in to help Lola. This book would be great tot teach children the importance of recycling.
Joanna
I generally just love anything Charlie and Lola. I read this one to my preschool group today, in the spirit of Earth Day. A few of the jokes might have been over this group's head, and I am not so sure how solid they are on the concept of recycling? But it held their interest.
Karina
This book teaches kids about recycling and all the benefits it brings to the environment. The story is about Charlie and Lola, two siblings, that encourage their class to take part in recycling and planting trees at school. In order to keep kids engaged, the story uses photographs and real-life examples that they can relate to in their everyday lives. One of the story's main component is the voice of the characters. Students are able to use the voice seen in the book to help them create their ow...more
Dolly
Jul 18, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls just adore the Charlie and Lola books by Lauren Child and this is a wonderful story that encourages children to participate in a recycling program.

It offers several ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle and it also provides an incentive program for their good, hard work. I also like that they planted a tree as a reward for the children's hard work in the story; hopefully it will inspire other schools and schoolchildren to do the same. We really enjoyed reading this story together.
Jo
Charlie teaches his little sister Lola all about recycling and they enter a competition with their school. If they recycle 100 items of each (paper, plastic, tin cans) they'll get a real tree of their own to plant. The book also comes with a large poster similar to the one Charlie and Lola follow in the story to help keep track of what they're recycling. Cute illustrations and recycling is explained in a simple way that children will understand. The poster is a great incentive for children to ge...more
Pretend City Children's Museum
This is such a FANTASTIC book! Not only is the story just wonderful, full of the kinds of questions our little ones have when it comes to re-bicycle... I mean Recycle hahah, but the story is something that children can relate to! The artwork mixed with real life pictures and hand drawn cartoons gives the story the real life edge it needs but is still super cute and fun! We will be reading this book at Story Time a lot!
Mrs. McGregor
I was glad to find this after struggling to find a good read-aloud for Kindergartners leading up to Earth Day. Charlie and Lola are adorable and lovable characters, and in this story kids are introduced to recycling and celebrate as Lola and her classmates achieve an important goal. The illustration style combines drawings and collage in a way that allows opportunities to look for interesting details with young readers.
jacky
This was a gift from a fellow English teacher. She got this one for me because I'm really big on recycling. Until I saw this, I didn't know that Charlie and Lola had books; I thought they were just a TV show. I liked how this book explained the basic idea of recycling and helped to motivate children to recycle. It even comes with a poster to keep track of items to recycle like they do for the content in the book.
Vanessa Adams
This book is a great book to teach children about recycling. I loved the story line on how recycling 100 things can help her reach her goal to be able to plant a new tree. The story also talks about ways to reuse/recycle old toys. The characters in the book will definitely engage young children. This book would be a good tool to teach children about ways to get their community involved with recycling.
Snorkle
I liked the premise of this book, and thought it did a good job of encouraging children not to waste. I did feel like parts of the story were a little jumbled or out of place, but I still enjoyed reading this book and would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Josiah
I like this book adaptation of the Charlie & Lola television episode. Morten is one of my favorite characters from the show, and to see him make an appearance in one of the Charlie and Lola books is a nice treat.
This is a fun book to read, and I would certainly increase my rating of it to one and a half stars.
Marlee
Charlie and Lola are great characters. Lola is so funny. These books are some of our favorites. This one was great. I think our copy of this came with a poster. The story is simple and funny. Charlie is a great older brother that is always very patient with Lola.
Amanda
This was a good book, great for the subject of recycling. I think it would be perfect for kindergarten/1st grade children. I'm not familiar with the TV show the characters are supposed to be from, but the illustrations are definitely fun and engaging.
Maddy
It is so sweet. It literally teaches you how recycle. Its fantastic. Lola strives to retocycle enough rubbis to win a tree for their school. Their entire school community ends up donating rubbish to recycle.
Sheniece
Great choice when you are looking for a children’s book that can be read to introduce a science lesson. All students need to know why recycling is important and how it betters our lives. Very cute book.
Colleen
I love Charlie and Lola! They remind me of my sister. Anyway, in this exciting adventure, Charlie and Lola tackle Recycling and in their usual way learn some new things. It's great. Enjoy!
Cheryl
It's almost impossible to write good stories that directly teach important lessons. This almost pulls it off. Especially enjoyable, I'm sure, for fans of the other Charlie and Lola books, like me.
Kaethe
Lame script from the TV show. Not the best. Not especially funny, and rather heavy-handed. The Offspring find it hard to imagine that there are people who don't know about recycling.
Molly
Charlie and Lola just win me over and a wonderful one about learning to recycle and save our earth. I want Lola for a little sister. Ages 2+
Tanya
Not the best Charlie and Lola, but still enjoyable. Giving it a an extra star to see if I get recommendations from it.
Christine Turner
I'm always a fan of Lauren Child's work, but I especially like this book. It's a good lesson for all of us.

Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Lola suddenly started to be different. It all started when Lola went to Marv's house, and his big... K.T.
Kelly
A nice, child-friendly book encouraging recycling (and involving your community in getting involved, too).
Eileen
Cute story about recycling easily understood by young children.
Leslie Zinsmeister
Grade: K-2
Topic: Recycling and keeping the planet clean
Great book to kick off the idea of recycling!
Angela Alonso
Grade: K to 4th
Caring for the enviroment
Amy Murray
Our favorite Charlie and Lola book by far!!
  • 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World
  • The EARTH Book
  • Michael Recycle
  • On Meadowview Street
  • Wangari's Trees of Peace: A True Story from Africa
  • Fancy Nancy: Every Day Is Earth Day
  • The Magic School Bus and the Climate Challenge (The Magic School Bus, #12)
  • Big Bear Hug
  • Bugs Galore
  • The Pet Dragon: A Story about Adventure, Friendship, and Chinese Characters
  • Farewell to Shady Glade
  • Petite Rouge: A Cajun Red Riding Hood
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
42016
Lauren Child grew up in Wiltshire as the middle child of three sisters and the daughter of two teachers. She has always been interested in the many aspects of childhood, from gazing into toy shop windows to watching American children's shows from the 1960s. After attending two Art Schools, where Lauren admits that she did not learn much, she travelled for six months, still unsure about which caree...more
More about Lauren Child...
I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato Utterly Me, Clarice Bean The Princess and the Pea Clarice Bean Spells Trouble Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)