Start by marking “Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture” as Want to Read:
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture

Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,701 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
The first edition of Gaia's Garden sparked the imagination of America's home gardeners, introducing permaculture's central message: Working with Nature, not against her, results in more beautiful, abundant, and forgiving gardens. This extensively revised and expanded second edition broadens the reach and depth of the permaculture approach for urban and suburban growers.

Man
Paperback, Second Edition, 312 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gaia's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaia's Garden

Susan
Dec 05, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
What a great book!

I don't read a lot of gardening books for fun (I find them dry) but the personal experiences, anecdotes, and concrete examples in this one make it a breeze. It appears quite well researched, and it answers all kinds of questions I've had for a long time about Permaculture and even urban gardening. (How safe is food grown next to a busy street? for example)

Why did I wait so long to read this book? As far as I can tell, this is going to be one of my foundational gardening books,
Melissa
Apr 23, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gardeners who want to work with nature
Shelves: gardening
I've been interested in learning about permaculture for some time, but what little I knew always struck me as being intimidating and not for someone with my limited gardening experience. This book has completely changed my mind, and I'm eager to test out a few ideas in my community garden plot until I have access to a more permanent site.

Hemenway outlines the basic ideas of permaculture as relevant to the home gardener, from organizing plantings and structures in zones and sectors, to conservin
Lara
Jun 12, 2009 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Great overview of permaculture and gardening with "guilds" of "useful" plants. I almost passed by this one because I found the title off-putting. I was afraid I'd be hearing about Mother Earth, nature's balance, and the perfect harmony with which indigenous peoples once lived. The book still has an odor of this, but if you sift through it you get some tremendously helpful information for the new-to-permaculture gardener. In section three I found exactly what I needed: a spreadsheet of recommende ...more
Kerrie
Dec 25, 2010 Kerrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good introduction to the field of permaculture. The Mollison textbook is rather overwhelming (though I do plan to read it cover to cover), and Hemenway broke it down into bite-size pieces with lots of real-life examples. I was afraid that I would have to do a translation from East Coast permaculture to my place in the arid Southwest, but how exciting it was to see 2 amazing success stories from Santa Fe and Los Alamos! This book will definitely keep a place on my gardening refere ...more
Valerie
Mar 26, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Practical ways to implement permaculture--which is the most efficient way to garden. As I dream of my own fruit orchard, I want to lay it out as recommended in this book: with bird and insect attracting shrubs (to deter fruit tree predators without spraying) and nitrogen-fixing plants (to lesson the need for fertilizers) and mulching plants (to decrease the watering needs). I love the idea of planning out my landscape so it takes care of itself (as much as possible).

Mina Villalobos
This book is quite the game changer if you, like me, had a very traditional understanding of gardening and what a garden should look like. As a designer, it completely changed my way of seeing landscaping and what a landscape should look like and work like. This book teaches the basics of permaculture in a practical, non preachy way. It helps you design a forest garden, gives you the bases to work with large scale gardens and small scale gardens -though the actual small scale gardens could use m ...more
Tera
Jul 19, 2008 Tera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gardeners, plant nerds
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book that should be on every gardener's shelf regardless if you have one acre or one hundred. This book got me thinking of my own gardens as living, changing, interconnected environments and not some space I keep my plant collection. The ideals are something that any gardener, regardless of experience or gardening style can incorporate for a healthier and more active ecosystem.
Steve
My first permaculture book and still probably my favorite. Lots of practical information about designing gardens and landscapes, and good case studies, too. Hemenway is preparing a new edition that should be even better, but until then...
Tinea
Jul 25, 2012 Tinea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with any amount of land and the desire to cultivate it
I've found now a few different "comprehensive teach yourself permaculture" books, each tailored to a different audience. Food Not Lawns for the punks and the community organizers, The Urban Homestead for the busy, The Transition Companion for the big picture people and Toolbox for Sustainable Living for the tinkerers. Gaia's Garden stands above these books for its general appeal, a guidebook in clear, flowing language for understanding and working with the ecology of cultivated environments.

Toby
Lisa
Aug 17, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sustainability
This is an outstanding book on home-scale or backyard scale permaculture. I've already implemented many of the methods -- edible landscaping for one, and plantings with multiple uses for another. Luckily, my local library carries this one. Since reading this book, my local Transition Town initiative has formed a permaculture self-study group using this book as well as the David Jacke text, Edible Forest Gardens : Volumes One and Two. This book was also used in a permaculture certification class ...more
dale paul
Jan 10, 2008 dale paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: botanicals
I've learned more about musical form from this book than I have in any music book. Aside from that, Gaia's Garden has inspired me to further readings on permaculture and its applications. I'm recommending it to my friend's family who's just bought a farm. How efficient and wondeful the farm will be once they've applied these principles. For those who know nothing of permaculture, but a little about gardening I suggest you beg, borrow, or steal this book.
Sara
Jun 14, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Great, inspiring and informative read on permaculture. I would have liked a little more information on integrating an annual vegetable garden into the "food forest"....and even to go farther into the homesteading idea of growing your own wheat/oats. The "lasgana mulch' section was very thorough and the charts describing different perennial bushes/trees/plants; their uses and companions is an invaluable resource.
Abe Louise
Aug 08, 2007 Abe Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
after reading this book -- which has some didacticism amidst its informed passion -- i risked an experiment in scandinavian composting with a huge (10 foot x 20 foot) pile of brush and branches in my yard. it did shrink by 2/3 in a year, but never compacted enough so that i could do as the author instructs, and make a grassy hill or shapely bench out of it.
Donna L. Long
I wanted to like this book but it has some of the same problems that many permaculture books do, it focuses on exotic plants to create a permaculture garden. Permaculture to be ecologically-responsible needs to focus on knowing, using and growing the plants of a particular locale with some non-invasive exotics added. Planting non-native plants simply continues the destruction of an ecosystem. The native plants of North American with a few exceptions have been ignored as food and medicine. Native ...more
Meadow
Jan 28, 2008 Meadow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's idea of "small-scale" is still larger than my own backyard, but I like his writing style and find myself endlessly fascinated by potential permaculture projects, such as worm boxes, chicken tractors, and greywater irrigation systems. Sustainable living is super sexy!!
heather-lee
Sep 03, 2014 heather-lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
I loved this book! I was so happy to finally read something both book-length and accessible about permaculture that helped me to see how it could fit into one's own backyard while still intelligently engaging with permaculture principles. Since permaculture design and the plant guilds that go with it are necessarily region- (and even site-) specific, people looking for advice on "how to get started" may be annoyed. Still, I think Hemenway does a wonderful job of treading the line between providi ...more
Chris
May 20, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gardeners, farmers, ecologists, and everyone else
Of all the permaculture books I've read this is the best intro to the concept. Plus, it's an enjoyable, interesting, and pretty book in it's own right. I re-read it occasionally just for the inspiration to do useful and interesting things with our yard.
Gea
Aug 06, 2007 Gea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for permaculture inspiration and general info
I learned that I have a lot to learn! But what a fun and interesting book - general, but maybe even hard to fully grasp without at least some hands-on 'training' in permaculture - a classic nonetheless (and has an amazing bibliography).
Michelle
Jan 07, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book inspiring. It has really changed the way in which I approach my house, my yard and my garden. It breaks down the concepts of permaculture in a way that makes it easy for the beginner to understand and apply.
Al Valvano
Good high level primer on permaculture. I found myself wishing for a more detailed guide on design, although the general principles were solid. Still looking for the book that is going to help me design my new acreage.
Karina
Jul 09, 2014 Karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I have to admit that I didn't read EVERY SINGLE WORD, which was hard for my book-loving and perfectionist soul to do...but I gleaned enough to decide that it is not the time in my life to "do permaculture" (although I completely read the section on desert permaculture and was impressed that it's possible!). I loved the parts about using garden space more wisely (I really want to do an herb spiral and a keyhole/mandala garden!) and the concept of guilds. Also appreciated his ideas on compo ...more
David
Feb 07, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
The most accessible book on permaculture I've picked up so far. Lots of helpful diagrams, inspiring photos, and useful charts. Maybe I'm geeking out on permaculture, but I can't put it down.
Karly
Jun 13, 2016 Karly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never thought a permaculture book would make me laugh out loud. Toby explains complex ideas in layman's terms and often adds dorky humor. I want to be his best friend.
Harini Srinivasan
Although I'd recently attended a short course on permaculture and was familiar with the basic concepts, this book was very exciting, full of new ideas, practical knowhow and fascinating facts. The section on grey water recycling is specially delightful, with a detailed blueprint that I intend to follow. However, much of the book was not pertinent to my situation, being aimed at the permaculturist in North America, both rural and urban. The systematic and logical approach was very illuminating -- ...more
Tahrana
Mar 23, 2016 Tahrana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the practical book i was looking for. For a non-gardener who is intrigued by the idea, it was a great introduction. It laid out the ideas of permaculture, how they interact on a large scale, and then how to apply that knowledge to your acreage or backyard. With good examples of guilds, layman terms, how to mulch, just lots of useful information (including lists and examples of species). I had borrowed it from the library thinking I would skim it, then ending up reading it thoroughly and ...more
Bianka
Aug 13, 2007 Bianka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nature lovers
Shelves: extremelyuseful
Good intro to permaculture.
Katarina Ross
Jun 05, 2016 Katarina Ross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, gardening
This book brought me so much joy, interest and hope. Like any good work on permaculture it touts the value of working with rather than against nature to cultivate vibrant, productive gardens. This excellent introduction to the subject is clearly written with real-life examples of individuals who've utilised the techniques, the challenges they faced and how those were overcome.

Hemenway transitions, chapter by chapter, through the steps to create an ecological garden. Drawing from his own experien
Shaun
Mar 20, 2016 Shaun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: permaculture
Toby Hemenway's book lives up to its reputation as one of the most accessible introductions to the permaculture design method and its applications to creating an ecological garden. He covers the gamut, from observation to designing, soil building to water harvesting, beneficial insects to plant selection, guilds, sectors, zones, and so on. Hemenway writes in a welcome conversational tone and this is no textbook, but "Gaia's Garden" still also includes some great reference material. My copy is so ...more
Jack
Jul 30, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very informative, and drastically changed the way that I not only garden, but even just look at plants. Everyone who has been coming over to my house has asked me why I haven't been cutting my back yard, leading to detailed and frequently passionate discussion on permaculture and gardening.

When I first started reading this book, I thought it was going to be my favorite book. Everything makes so much sense and seems so logical and common sense, it makes you wonder why you had not hav
Ben Adams
Mar 30, 2015 Ben Adams rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that actually expands your mind, makes manifold connections between bits of knowledge you had, and reshapes your view of the world and man's role in it. As a Christian I already had a pretty robust philosophy of "stewardship of the world as God's gift," but in practical terms, this book shows what that can actually look like when mankind partners with the rest of Creation, letting each member do its own job in the best way, and in harmony.

Pretty nearly every page
  • Permaculture: A Designers' Manual
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 1: Ecological Vision and Theory for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Earth User's Guide to Permaculture
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • The One-Straw Revolution
  • The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Edible Landscaping
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
Toby Hemenway is an American author and educator who has written extensively on permaculture and ecological issues. He is the author of Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture. He has been an adjunct professor at Portland State University, Scholar-in-Residence at Pacific University, and is currently a field director at the Permaculture Institute (USA).
More about Toby Hemenway...

“The plants we've chosen will collect and cycle Earth's minerals,water, and air;shade the soil and renew it with leafy mulch; and yield fruits and greens for people and wildlife.” 3 likes
“The average yard is both an ecological and agricultural desert. The prime offender is short-mown grass, which offers no habitat and nothing for people except a place to sit, yet sucks down far more water and chemicals than a comparable amount of farmland.” 1 likes