Start by marking “Winter Notes on Summer Impressions” as Want to Read:
Winter Notes on Summer Impressions

Winter Notes on Summer Impressions

Never before published in English, this vivid account of Dostoevsky's first travels outside his native Russia forms a succession of vitriolic comments on life as he found it in Western Europe. It is typically Dostoevskian in its violent and breathless writing, and in its strange blend of Slavophile prejudices with the most prophetic insights into recent history.

Dostoevsky
152 pages
Published 1955 by Criterion Books, Inc. (first published 1862)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Notes on Summer Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Notes on Summer Impressions

MJ Nicholls
Fyodor is the crotchetiest travel writer of the 19thC and this diary reads like Jeremy Clarkson Goes to France mixed with Karl Marx’s Further Criticisms of the Bourgeois Superstructure: Paris Edition. Two unpublished titles that sum up Fyodor’s critique of the French bourgeoisie, French attitudes and French gentlemen. He hates those damn frogs! Baguette-chomping cheese-eating surrender monkeys, set in their provincial ways! Curse those swine! And don’t get Fyodor started on those Polish Jews, oh ...more
Chiara Pagliochini
« È possibile che esista davvero una qualche combinazione chimica dello spirito umano col suolo natio, per la quale da questo suolo non ci si può staccare in alcun modo, e anche se ci si riuscisse, comunque vi si fa ritorno? »

A questa domanda, dopo il viaggio intrapreso in Europa nel 1862, Dostoevskij deve aver risposto di sì. Sì, c’è effettivamente una combinazione chimica dello spirito umano col suolo natio che impedisce, in certi casi, di godersi i viaggi.
Dostoevskij viaggia attraverso la Fr
Nick
May 15, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know that show on PBS, Rick Steves' Europe? Imagine that it was hosted not by the affable, slightly boring Steves, but by the grumpiest, most beetle-browed Russian you can fathom, and that rather than seeking out the famous citadels, cathedrals, and monuments of Europe, our host instead scurries straight for the most destitute neighborhoods of London and Paris and spends his time listening to the area's gambling addicts and child prostitutes. Also, having decided to judge Europe by its lowes ...more
Ivana
Nov 02, 2012 Ivana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read Winter notes on the Summer Impressions(what would this work be called btw - a collection of essays, a non fiction book?) in the middle of reading Записки из Мертвого дома( I think it is called Notes from the Dead House in English but I'm not sure. Anyway, they are both in edition I have as are Notes from the Underworld.) I reckoned this will be something light, a pleasant change from the somewhat depressive Записки из Мертвого дома. More or less, that is what it was.

Winter notes
M. Sarki
The most striking acknowledgment I might make is the timelessness of Dostoyevsky's written observations. Though a travelogue, this slim notebook focuses on people instead of places, and became rather personal and revealing as to the thoughts and feelings of this rather gifted, but acrimonious, man.
Jaga
Apr 04, 2013 Jaga rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone interested in the 19th century French bourgeois
FD, in two months, traveled from Petersburg to Berlin, Dresden, Paris, London, Zürich, Florence, Venice, Vienna and back home. In this book, there are a few sentences about Germany, a splendid mini-chapter about London and then it's ALL Paris this, Paris that, the French bourgeois this or that (all preceded by "I won't tell you about France since it has been described widely enough"... yeah right). There isn't a single word about Switzerland, Italy or Austria, not to mention nonexistent countrie ...more
Virginia
L'intelligenza si ha per raggiungere quello che si desidera. Se non puoi percorrere una versta, fa' cento passi, sarai pur sempre più vicino allo scopo, se è verso uno scoop che stai andando. Ma se vuoi giungere allo scopo in un sol passo, questo a parer mio non è affatto intelligenza. Anzi, la definirei poltronaggine. Le fatiche noi non le amiamo, a un passo alla volta non siamo abituati, secondo noi russi è meglio volare dritti allo scopo in un sol passo.
Dr Nick
Bad holidays. We've all had them. Indeed with cheap air flight and traffic gridlock the norm across continents a big chunk of even the most relaxing break can be taken up by a re-enactment of one of the levels of Dante's Inferno - probably one where those blooming suitcases on wheels keep banging into you.
It wasn't always thus the erudite (whoever they are) cry - the Victorian Grand Tour allowed the Elite to relax and wallow in the cultural dominance of the haute bourgeois. Quaint boarding house
Frankie
Dec 01, 2009 Frankie rated it liked it
Shelves: russian
Winter Notes on Summer Impressions was published in Vremya after Dostoevsky's first visit to Europe. I love it for its style and wit. Dostoevsky always had something in common with Voltaire, and it's most evident here. Through somewhat broad generalizations, the reader can sense an intuitive foreshadowing of British and French culture for years to come.

It only falls short in its unity and conclusion. It's also a little xenophobic and vindictive. I hope true fans will read this with the understa
tsun
Apr 10, 2016 tsun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected it to be witty travel writing. Originally, I was lulled by his sardonic, but funny writing. It later turned out to be a massive rant haranguing the French people and by proxy Europeans. Thankfully it wasn't too long.
Lila
Jul 28, 2008 Lila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's like the blog entries dostoevsky wrote after his summer-backpacking-across-europe
Hasnun Coşkun
Jan 06, 2017 Hasnun Coşkun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
Dostoyevski'nin Avrupa gezisinde kendisine ve çevresindeki insanlara(özellikle Parislilere) yaptığı tespitleri, onlarda gördüklerini anlatıyor bu kitap. Biraz çocukça olsa da zevkli ve zekice bir kitap.
Hannah Gould
Jun 23, 2013 Hannah Gould rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though Dostoevsky claims that this work is about his summer journey through Europe, it is at least as much, if not more, about Russia. In the first chapter, "In Place of an Introduction," Dostoevsky warns that he has no idea how to properly represent the countries he visited partially because his impressions were so brief and subjective, and partially because his contemporary Russians already knew a great deal about Europe; many had already traveled there, and literate, educated Russians at the ...more
F.J. Nanic
Jun 13, 2013 F.J. Nanic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although written more than a century ago, it's highly recommended for every American that has never been overseas. It'll help him understand better the differences between all those nations that had come over here and formed this melting pot. In fact, it's fascinating that in his genes he might be harboring all of those juxtaposing characters.
I love the part when he is in Germany visiting Cologne:
"The bridge is excellent, of course, and the town is justly proud of it, but I thought it was too pr
Ipek Arkan
Bu kitabı ilk okumaya karar verdiğimde açıkçası sıkıcı bir anı gezisi gibi olacağını düşünmüştüm.Eleştirel yaklaşan kısa ama öz bir yazarın anlattıkları.Gerçekten de eleştirel, gördüklerini dobra dobra anlatan hiç korkmadan düşüncelerini savunabilen bir yazarla karşılaştım.Avrupa'ya gitmiş bir Rus'un gözünü yansıtmıştı bu kitapta bize Dostoyevski.Bazı bölümleri konudan kopup kişilerin konuşmalarında boğulacak olsa da en sonunda bir şekilde asıl konuyla ilişkilendirebiliyordu onca lafını.Son dere ...more
Unbridled
Jan 31, 2014 Unbridled rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dostoevsky's 'journalism.' Bilious humor strikes the first note; cruel candor, the second; and still, I enjoyed it, particularly the last, bitterest chapter, where Dostoevsky savages the bourgeois Parisian couple. The style here reminds me of Notes from Underground, which remains my favorite Dostoevsky. And that is all. That is all for good, I think. I think this Goodreads experiment is over for me. I don’t think anyone reads these reviews, so there is no point in spilling seed. Like the boxer, ...more
أحمد الكيلانى
مذكرات شتاء عن انطباعات صيف هى احد مذكرات ديستوفسكى التى كتبها بأسلوب السرد القصصى عن رحلته لأوربا حيث زار فيها مدن كانجلترا و فرنسا و المانيا وقد قرأت هذا الكتاب فى نسخة مكتبة الاسرة والموجودة بالمجلد السادس للاعمال الكاملة للمؤلف وهى فى حوالى مائة صفحة وللامانة لم افهم الكثير من المقدمة التى تتحدث عن فترة وشخصيات روسية كما ان الجزء الخاص بزيارة انجلترا و المانيا كان بين السطور ولكن رحلة فرنسا هى التى شرحها وإن كان يغلب عليها طابع المبالغة والسخرية من المواطن و المرأة الفرنسية ولكنى اجد ان بوصف ...more
TarasProkopyuk
Dec 31, 2014 TarasProkopyuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, russian
Ой, какое чудесное произведение Достоевского! Это что-то новое. В этой работе я узнал нечто другого Достоевского. Хотя первая треть, а то и половина книги мне не понравилась, но зато вся остальная её часть - глоток свежего воздуха. Для меня это был совсем другой Достоевский, совсем другой почерк гения я увидел.

Фёдор Михайлович показал европейские устои и европейскую мораль с такого ракурса, о котором даже и не подозревал. Нет, может в щель то и часто заглядывал, но никогда не подозревал о такой
Nikoline
Jul 26, 2015 Nikoline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of non-fiction, political themes, travel novels
Recommended to Nikoline by: read for class
"Winter Notes on Summer Impressions" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky was a fast and interesting read which I read for my French class at the university. Dostoyevsky give a great view on France as traveller from outside of the country and adds his rather negative or ambivalent points of view on the society and its people. I cannot say what I particularly liked about this book, but I read it in one setting and it was interesting, but also a bit confusing because the author does not separate his travels but ...more
Brandon
Nov 30, 2014 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, non-fiction
Essential reading for anyone interested in D's career and idiology. Also, he is hilarious, which is often overlooked. Short, but worth tracking down—I had to use an inter-library loan program to get a hold of it.
Peter
Dostoevsky's commentary on the German, English and French national characters based on a short trip he made in the 1860s. The observations can be quite humorous although one wonders whether he crosses the line into stereotype especially with the French.
Catherine Corman
Nov 17, 2013 Catherine Corman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like Cologne Cathedral at all the first time: it seemed to me like lace, lace, nothing but lace.

-Dostoyevksy, Winter Notes on Summer Impressions
Michael
Not Dostoevsky at his best, but interesting enough. Not so much a reminisence of his first European jaunt, as a sustained attack on European, and particularly French, bourgeoise society.
Jackson Cyril
Dostoevsky travels to Western Europe and records his impressions; not to give it away, but he doesn't like it much.
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2011
zenoyes
zenoyes rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Sailor-moonia
Sailor-moonia rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Romanbatyaev
Romanbatyaev rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Dar Sunca
Dar Sunca rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Stephanie A Stachura
Stephanie A Stachura rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2014
Marmara: Yaz izlenimleri üzerine kış notları yorum linkim 1 7 Oct 26, 2015 03:03PM
Yaz İzlenimleri Üzerine Kış Notları 1 3 Oct 22, 2015 01:10PM
  • Sakhalin Island (Oneworld Classics)
  • Dostoevsky: The Stir of Liberation, 1860-1865
  • Sissi: Vita e leggenda di un'imperatrice
  • Book of Friends
  • Pelle di leopardo
  • Letters from Prison
  • November 1916 (The Red Wheel #2)
  • مذكرات زوجة دوستويفسكي
  • Dersu the Trapper
  • Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida
  • Holy Skirts: A Novel of a Flamboyant Woman Who Risked All for Art
  • My Fellow Prisoners
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...

“Try and set yourself the task not to think of a white bear, and the cursed thing comes to mind every minute.” 1 likes
“... gloom never forsakes the English...” 0 likes