Start by marking “War of the Witches (War of the Witches, #1)” as Want to Read:
War of the Witches (War of the Witches, #1)

War of the Witches (La Guerra de las Brujas #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,782 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
When her mother disappears without a trace, Anaid is baffled. Taken in by friends, she learns a shocking truth: her mother is a witch, but not just any witch - she is the chosen one who is prophesied to end a bloody war with the cruel Odish clans who are intent on attaining eternal life, at whatever cost."
Published January 1st 2009 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about War of the Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War of the Witches

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTorment by Lauren Kate
Judge Books By Their Covers
261st out of 868 books — 782 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Best Teen Girl Books
484th out of 1,423 books — 2,159 voters

More lists with this book...

Verónica
Feb 20, 2015 Verónica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me a gustado mucho este libro. Puede que caiga en unos cuantos tópicos pero para mi gusto a sido una buena bocanada de aire fresco.
El libro nos habla sobre Anaid una niña de 14 años feucha y un poco antisocial. Después de una mala noche Anaid despierta sobresalta, tiene un mal presentimiento, así que decide ir a ver si su madre Selene se encuantra bien. Cuando llega a la habitación no hay nadie y se encuentra la ventana abierta, ¿donde esta su madre? ¿donde habrá ido sin avisarla? ¿estará bien?
Accio Reviews
Se há um livro que li até agora neste ano sobre o qual fiquei bastante dividida na minha opinião, foi com certeza este. Em vários aspectos gostei, noutros começava a pensar se deveria levar a leitura em frente. Como era um livro pequeno e até gostei da história base, acabei de o ler, mas fiquei com algumas reservas.

A mitologia das bruxas é muito boa, e gostei bastante do capítulo onde foi contada a história da origem das bruxas e da sua divisão em dois clãs rivais, pois afastou-se da linguagem q
María Angélica
Jul 08, 2016 María Angélica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
sorry, eres tu, no yo.
The Library Lady
I alternately liked and hated this book because the writing was so uneven. Mood and style seemed to change from chapter to chapter.
I suspect that a lot of this was due to a lousy translator. It doesn't matter how fluent you are in 2 language, translating a book so that it reads as beautifully in another language as it did in the original is highly skilled work.

Perhaps this is a wonderful book. I thought the plot and characters had a lot of potential. But in the end, it is a failure, at least in
Kristi
Oct 26, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anaid is a smart, dependable, often overlooked teenage girl. She is the exact opposite of her beautiful, fun spirited and exuberant mother. It’s hard to believe that the two are even related. On the morning of Anaid’s mother disappearance, she discovers that there is much more to her mother than meets the eyes. Selene, her mother, is a witch. “The Chosen One” to be exact, the witch that is prophesied to end the war between the two witch clans.

Taught and trained by four other women of her mother’
Encruzilhadas Literárias

Aqui há uns tempo falei de livros que não nos sabem a nada e de livros que prometem e não cumprem. Volto a falar disso, porque quando peguei neste livro, ele tinha uma frase do estilo "O novo Harry Potter" impressa na capa. Obviamente que a Editorial Presença não manda no Financial Times, nem decide o que os críticos devem ou não dizer mas, aviso que quem for no entanto atrás de um mundo mágico do estilo Potteriano vai ficar desapontado. Não vale a pena perderem o vosso tempo com este l
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 Reading Vacation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW
While this is a book about witches, it is also a book about the mother and daughter bond. In this case, Anaid is willing to fight the rival Odish clan to save her mother, Selene, from the evil Omar clan. I liked that they had such a close relationship.
The story starts off slow with quite a bit of detail as Anaid learns to use her powers. It was surprising to learn how powerful she was compared to the more experienced witches. Anaid was able to do things like turn into a dolphin or fly.
Th
Mrs. Carstairs
Este libro nos relata la historia de Anaíd, una adolescente algo peculiar que aún no se ha desarrollado completamente. Hace un año perdió a su abuela y ahora vive tan sólo con su madre en un pequeño pueblo. Una mañana Anaíd despierta con un mal presentimiento, así que va a ver el resto de la casa y asegurarse de que su madre esté bien, sin embargo no la encuentra, Selene ha desaparecido. Entonces la historia comienza.

Bueno, la verdad es que hasta que lo vi en la librería no había escuchado p ara
Kylie
May 31, 2013 Kylie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was predictible and quite cheezy, yet for some reason I was strangely intent on finishing it. After I did finish- I didn't hate it. It was ok. I can see how a middle school aged girl would really get into it. As for me, I got my copy of this book for free, and probably won't be continuing the series unless the next one falls into my lap as well.
Meyss Tazi

War of the Witches is a novel that many students would enjoy it. As Anna recognizes that her mom head disappeared, she belonged to an ancient tribe of witches. She must learn so she could go to the dark world and find her mother. Anna was shocked when she heard that her mom was a witch. Anna’s mom was chosen to end a bloody war with Odish. At the end, Anna had more powers and she would do everything do rescue her mom.

She sets up dangerous Journeys just to rescue her mom. Her mom was captured by
Joris Smeets
Mar 04, 2016 Joris Smeets rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice, this first book of the trilogy! Fresh, original, strong characters. In the vein of Harry Potter, maybe even a touch of 'His Dark Materials'.
Ana Santamaría
me ha gustado bastante el libro, aunque, como todos, tiene algunos fallos. Al principio no congenié muy bien con la protagonista y me costó engancharme, pero a medida que avanzaba la historia me fui interesando cada vez más en el paradero de Selene, la desaparecida. el final del libro me gustó muchísimo (no hago spoilers) y me parece que es una trama muy bien construida y, como digo, el desenlace está completamente a la altura. No creo que todos los libros juveniles tengan que tener por obligaci ...more
Erika
This was a quick read. I finished it in about four hours. Not that is was so great; it just flowed. I did like the characters and concept of the story. Would be interested in reading the sequel if there is one. I liked that it was a witch story that didn't get to deep and dark with it.
Sara
Mar 20, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryn ((B2/B.P))   Ryeosomniac~~
I thought the ending was a bit of a cop out but other then that it was pretty good.
Beatriz Sousa
também quero ser ruiva... :)
Appelmania
Jul 02, 2008 Appelmania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a awsome book.
Ана Хелс
Приветствам искрено всеки не-американски фентъзиен автор, успял някак да пробие на родния ни пазар, където не-англиканската фамилия мъничко плаши, намеквайки за някаква предполагаема европейска префърцуненост. Каквато повярвайте ми в повечето случаи напълно, ама напълно липсва. Трилогията за вещиците на Майте Каранса е като силно цензуриран филм на Алмодовар отпреди някое и друго десетилетие – ода за жените, непостоянните им характери, безумните ситуации, и тук – една здравословна доза магия и ъ ...more
Rolly Stardust
Questo libro mi ha lasciata non poco perplessa. Non è brutto, ma non è neanche bellissimo. Proverò a spiegarmi.

La storia, in teoria, è un po' un clichè: la giovane ragazza timida che in realtà ha grandi poteri che nessuno ha eccetera. Fin qui nulla di nuovo sotto il sole. Il fatto che però sia la madre a essere la prescelta di turno e non lei poteva creare un po' di novità sulla trama. Di certo, a parte un minuscolo particolare che sarà ovvio a tutti appena si comincia a leggere il libro, la sit
Consuela Rossetto
Oct 23, 2015 Consuela Rossetto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: streghe
Pubblicato in Italia dalla Salani con il titolo "Il clan della lupa" primo capitolo della serie fantasy "La guerra delle streghe" di Maite Carranza.
Le cose non sono sempre quel che sembrano. Questa amara verità è ben nota ad Anaïd Tsinoulis, che ha quattordici anni ma è talmente piccola e magra da dimostrarne dieci; e quel che è peggio, sua madre Selene è una vera bellezza, sensuale e provocante. Certo, Anaïd è intelligente, ma a che cosa serve essere intelligenti quando nessuno ti vuole? Ma ecc
Jenny
Anaid's mother disappears and Anaid is determined to find her, especially once she finds out that her mother is a witch...and not just any witch, but the witch of the prophesy who will end the war between the two witch clans, the Odins and Omars.

I actually really enjoyed this...read it on the way to Disneyland (which may have helped my enjoyment...I was in the mood for fun, magic, etc.). I haven't read many books with witches and don't know much of the mythology of it...or if this is closely tie
Doris
Dec 19, 2012 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an interesting read, especially since, as a teen fantasy, it skipped over one of the biggest issues in much of the material I have seen written for that genre - sex and love interests. There is very little social interaction between the central character, Anaid, and other children, although when her mother first disappears and she is forced to stay with a neighbor, the children there do react to her, as do the children at her school.

I was struck by the strong matriarchal theme, where th
Arttemizza

Sendo este um livro mais direccionado ao publico juvenil esperava uma linguagem mais simples, no entanto, isso não se verifica e durante a leitura senti algumas dificuldades acabando mesmo por a arrastar.

O tema é um dos meu preferidos e o enredo assenta a base de uma constante disputa antiga entre duas linhagens bruxas. Adoro profecias, contudo neste livro achei-as um pouco cansativas e a partir de certo ponto deixei mesmo de as ler, visto que, não traziam nada de interessante nem de novo. A ori
(S.V.P) Samantha
De hekensoorlog.

==De clan van de wolvin==
===van schrijfster Maite Carranza===
Oorspronkelijke titel: La Guerra de las Brujas

Genre: Literatuur & Fictie
ISBN13: 905672214X

Uitgegeven in 2006 door Signature (voor het eerst gepubliceerd 1 januari 2005)
Wat vond ik van dit boek:

Ik moet eerlijk zeggen dat toen ik dit boek voor het eerst ging lezen dat ik er moeilijk in kwam.
Ik heb het zeker wel het boek een paar keer weg gedaan.. het begin is nogal wat saai om te lezen.. maar naar een tijdje begint he
Veronika
Anaid je již nějakou dobu jiná, než její spolužáci. I když je jí už čtrnáct let, vypadá jako malá holčička, jako by se její růst někde zastavil a odmítal pokračovat, aby z ní vytvořil kompletní dívku. Po záhadném zmizení Anaidiny matky Selene se začínají dít podivné věci. Anaid pomalu, ale jistě zjišťuje, že je čarodějkou z rodu Omar a aby zachránila svojí matku, bude se muset vypořádat se zákeřnými čarodějkami z rodu Odiš, které se neštítí opravdu ničeho.

Autorka nám v této sérii představuje tak
Alice
Apr 07, 2010 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Já tinha visto este livro à venda em Espanha mas, como a minha sede de ler obras no inglês original que ainda não foram traduzidas para a língua de Camões suplanta tudo, não lhe havia dado a devida atenção. Muitos já o classificara m como o sucessor de Harry Potter e, apesar das muitas diferenças, parece-me que será um livro que agradará muito facilmente aos fãs de J.K. Rolling.
Embora de início as coisas não sejam muito claras e a proveniência e guerra entre as Omar e as Odish possam fazer algu
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
El clan de la Loba es el primer tomo de una trilogía llamada La guerra de las brujas, escrita por Maite Carranza. En Argentina, podemos comprarlo en manos de la editorial Edebé con un precio relativo (depende del lugar donde lo compres) por $138. Tiene un total de 376 páginas y un formato muy atractivo. Su lectura es un tanto "española", con palabras típicas pero fáciles de entender.
Maite Carranza Gil-Dolz del Castellar (25/02/1958) es una escritora, guionista y profesora de guion.
Tiene una exte
Jessica
Jun 05, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Let me please stress that this book is not necessarily good, it's a relic from my childhood that I found in Cornwall dressed all in black making voodoo dolls out of driftwood, so the five stars are entirely personal. This book is actually translated from Spanish which makes the style of it a bit off, but it's a genuinely exciting (if slightly simple story). If you're an impressionable young girl obsessed with witches, or if you have some inexplicable need to see into my childhood, read this book ...more
Daniela S.
Meu Deus... Quem me dera ter gostado do livro... Quer dizer, gostei da escrita devido às suas descrições bem conseguidas e pelas profecias bem construídas; também gostei do conceito criado, isto é, as bruxas e os seus clãs. Contudo, não gostei nada das personagens... Foi mesmo o ponto fraco deste livro. E o final também ficou muito aquém...
Enfim, fiquei um pouco desiludida com este livro... Até tinha potencial...
Bernadette
Sep 10, 2014 Bernadette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book has a big plot twist that made my jaw drop. I wasn't expecting it. This book is about a girl lives normally but all of a sudden, her mom suddenly disappeared, nowhere to be found. So the girl was told a shocking truth. Her mom is a witch and is prophesied to be the chosen one to end a war between 2 witch rivalries.
  • Witch Fire (Burn Mark, #2)
  • La llamada de los muertos (Crónicas De La Torre, #3)
  • Desert Crossing
  • Lágrimas de cristal (Las chicas del Olimpo #1)
  • Laila Winter y los Señores de los Vientos (Laila Winter, #2)
  • La sombra de la luna (El ciclo de la luna roja, #3)
  • La torre y la isla (La llave del tiempo, #1)
  • Grimpow y la Bruja de la Estirpe
  • Lo que está en mi corazón
Maite Carranza studied Anthropology and worked as a teacher. In 1992 she began to write full time. She has received several awards including EDEBA children’s literature prize and has written more than 40 books for young readers. Maite lives in Barcelona, Spain.
More about Maite Carranza...

La Guerra de las Brujas (3 books)
  • El desierto de hielo (La Guerra de las Brujas, #2)
  • La maldición de Odi (La Guerra de las Brujas, #3)