Start by marking “Lace and Blade 2” as Want to Read:
Lace and Blade 2

Lace and Blade 2 (Lace and Blade #2)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
LACE AND BLADE, an original anthology of elegant romantic fantasy, edited by Deborah J. Ross, appears every Valentine's Day...

In the spirit of classic period swashbucklers, Zorro, the Scarlet Pimpernel, and D'Artagnan, brimming with romantic courtly intrigue and dangerous liaisons, with cloak and dagger and perfumed handkerchiefs, the language of the fan and stolen glances
Published February 14th 2009 by Leda

To ask other readers questions about Lace and Blade 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lace and Blade 2

Hallie
Apr 16, 2009 Hallie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Discovered that two of the stories are continuations of stories from the first anthology, which I haven't yet read. So I'm holding off on those and reading the others semi-randomly. Sherwood Smith's Jane Austen story first, hence the 'semi' to the ramdom! (It's well-done and clever and like nothing I'd expected.)

It's hard giving a rating to an anthology, as I liked some stories a lot more, and some a lot less. My favourites were Sherwood Smith's unexpected Jane Austen story, Francesca Forrest's
Shauna
Sep 28, 2009 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy of manners
This collection has some stunning stories in it. My only complaint is that some of the stories stretched or were outside the boundaries of "fantasy of manners." I must temper that complaint with the acknowledgment that some of the stories that didn't fit the premise of the anthology were among my favorites.
Margaret
I bought mostly this for the stories by Sherwood Smith, Madeleine E. Robins, and Tanith Lee, three favorite writers of mine, and unsurprisingly, those three stories were my favorites. I especially loved Smith's "Miss Austen's Castle Tour", in which Jane Austen meets Dracula, which I don't think many other writers could pull off to my satisfaction.

A surprise standout was "Rent Girl", by Traci N. Castleberry (whom I've never heard of before), which is the story of cross-dressing Orossy, who feels
Janet
Oct 25, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: fiction, sff, 2010
This is an anthology of short stories, generally with some elements of swashbuckling and romance, and often some bending of a gender role. Sherwood Smith's "Miss Austen's Castle Tour" is hilarious, and strikes me as perfectly in tune with Austen's viewpoint in "Northanger Abbey." Mary Rosenblum's "Dragon Wind" is a lovely tale of an imaginary ancient China. Madeleine Robins' "Writ of Exception" nicely turns marriages of convenience on their head. Tanith Lee's "The Pillow Boy of General Shu" is i ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Jun 25, 2014 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Micro-review here.
Melody
Jun 28, 2014 Melody rated it it was ok
A collection of "love" or relationship stories few of which are enjoyable. Several have same sex relations and a couple are between a middle aged man and a "boy" of undefined age. Worse than the first volume. Not my cup of tea.
Catherine
Dec 11, 2011 Catherine rated it liked it
Good read, though overall I thought the stories in the first one were stronger. Several of these felt unfinished to me. Still, it's nice to see this kind of genre-blending going on though, so I hope the series continues.
Lenni A
Lenni A marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Jaire Ann
Jaire Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Ann
Ann added it
Aug 30, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Johanna Bordeaux
Johanna Bordeaux rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Tiina Maalismaa
Tiina Maalismaa marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Kevin
Kevin added it
May 28, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
May 05, 2015
Danielle Reily
Danielle Reily marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Efreak
Efreak marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Cary
Cary marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Susanne
Susanne marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Teazia Cockburn
Teazia Cockburn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
MIPat
MIPat marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Ellen Aldridge
Ellen Aldridge rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Nedra Burwell-Beckard
Nedra Burwell-Beckard marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Erin Hall
Erin Hall marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014