Start by marking “The Missionary” as Want to Read:
The Missionary

The Missionary

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
David Eller is an American missionary in Venezuela, married to missionary nurse, Christie. Together they rescue homeless children in Caracas. But for David, that isn't enough. The supply of homeless children is endless because of massive poverty and the oppressive policies of the Venezuelan government, led by the Hugo Chavez-like Armando Guzman. In a moment of anger, David ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Missionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missionary

Joanne
Jan 31, 2011 Joanne rated it really liked it
When I offered to review this Christian Fiction novel I did not expect to be taken on a journey full of action, suspense and intrigue, but that is exactly what I received! Although I have only listened to James Patterson's books, this novel seemed to be written in a similar style to Patterson, as things happened quickly and I found myself not wanting to put it down.

David and Christie Eller help to run the Hope Village mission in Caracas, Venezuela. Money is tight for the mission and if they only
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
David and Christie Eller are missionaries in Caracas, Venezuela. They run the Hope Village, a mission that has a school, orphanage, and medical clinic. Christie is a nurse, and David takes care of the administrative duties.

When David brings home a young boy from the streets who is having trouble breathing, they fear he won't make it. But David is guilted with the fact of the other kids he left in the street. David and Christie can only help the children so much, but David wants to help them all
Clockstein Lockstein
Jul 20, 2009 Clockstein Lockstein rated it really liked it
The Missionary by William Carmichael & David Lambert is a pulse-pounding thriller about how an innocent man's actions can shake an entire nation. David Eller loves his job as a missionary at the Hope Village in Caracas, Venezuela working alongside his wife Christie and their young son Davy. But he's angered by the children who are devastated by poverty and neglect on the city's streets, and he doesn't always keep his comments quiet in a country run by a megalomaniacal dictator. His political ...more
April Gardner
Dec 03, 2009 April Gardner rated it liked it

American missionary David Eller just wants the world to be a better place. Instead, he finds himself entangled in an assassination plot and there’s no escaping it.
President Guzman of Venezuela is a man who cares little for the poor of his country. On the flip side, David has dedicated his life to helping them. When the occasion presents itself for him to aid in peacefully and quietly removing Guzman from power, David can’t resist. The street children would certainly benefit from a true and equit
This is one of those books where I’d love to just say “Wow! Now you read it!” but that won’t suffice. From page 1 I was hooked – this is a fast paced novel about David, his wife and their young son who are missionaries. I’ve written before on my heart pull for mission trips and for now I satisfy my thirst by reading about missionaries, both fictional and non-fiction. I also enjoy a good suspense/espionage and I’m glad that their are Christian choices for that as I find I can no longer read those ...more
Trinity Rose
Dec 03, 2010 Trinity Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first part of this book really caught my attention and makes you think about everything you do. Here are a few first sentences of “The Missionary”,
“Life turns on small choices. A last-minute decision to take a shortcut over a snowy pass. A shrugging dismissal of the odd-looking man in the long coat standing off to one side. A decision to postpone a physical exam till a less busy time. A word spoke with the best intentions.”
All of these we do every day and think nothing of them, but David El
Cheryl
May 30, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Married couple, David and his wife, Christie Eller has spent years in Caracas, Venezuela trying to care for the children and educate the locals. It has not been an easy road. At times it can also feel like unrewarding work. Lately this is how David has been feeling.

While helping some children, David meets a stranger with a helping hand. A few days later the same man comes and pays a visit to Hope Village. The place that the Ellers are working at. The man identifies himself as Carlos Edwards. He
Paula
Jun 20, 2010 Paula rated it it was ok
I finished the book but the entire time, I really didn't care about it. I think my problem was that the guy we were supposed to be rooting for, in my opinion, was an idiot and I didn't care if he lived or not. Granted, he was a good Christian man but he agreed to transport millions of dollars from a man he didn't know to assassins so that they could kill the evil president of Venezuela. He wanted to do it so that the country could be a better place and the neglected children would have a chance ...more
Kate L
Dec 27, 2010 Kate L rated it liked it
Imagine if Tom Clancy was assigned the task of writing an ad for the Feed the Children network. This book, The Missionary, would be the result. It's an exciting political thriller with a bit of a Christian twist...The action is fast paced, but not dizzyingly so, and the writing is concise and engaging. Was The Missionary the most fantastic thriller I ever read? Nah, but it was a solidly written book, very entertaining and all in all a pretty great way to spend my free time...

To see the full revi
Margaret
Mar 31, 2010 Margaret added it
Recommended to Margaret by: Bring it On Communications
*Thanks to Bring It On Communications for providing a copy for review.*

The Missionary is a suspense novel from Moody Publishers. Sometimes I like suspense, but it really has to grab me. This book did not grab me. I just could not seem to pay attention nor find anything likable about the characters. Yet all sorts of people endorse this book. So I would say try it yourself to see if it is your liking it just was not my cup of tea. Yet they do have a cool website for the book: www.MissionaryNovel.
Gretchen
Sep 09, 2009 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
I read this book for a book club I belong to and was pleassantly surprised by it. It's a real page turner and fast paced read. I felt for the characters in all their situations and often thought about how I would have reacted to the same situations. For a first time writer in this genre, the authors did a wonderful job creating a book that will be read by many. I can't wait until they put out another book. One more fan here.
Catherine Richmond
The Missionary is for everyone who ever made a decision with the best of intentions... and gotten bit in the butt. David Eller serves as a missionary, rescuing impoverished children from the streets of Caracas. When a wealthy man offers to make a donation in exchange for courier service, David jumps at the opportunity and become embroiled in an assasination attempt on the dictator. David Lambert is coauthor.
Heidi
Oct 05, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Sad thing is, David could be me! Trying to do the right thing but messing it up. Of course, I've never gotten people killed for it or had to leave my mission behind but we've all probably barged ahead before praying things through like we should've:) this was a good book and I'm glad all ended fairly well.
Denise
This was an interesting story about David an American missionary who is working in Venezuela. He decides to try to change the situation instead of just dealing with the aftermath. This gets him in big trouble. It was interesting although a little hard to follow who was in each group.
Cassandra
Dec 09, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was ok
Lots of action, little character development. Like some of the other reviewers, I just couldn't care about any of the characters. David's heart seemed to be in the right place but he kept making idiotic decisions. I lost patience with him.
Denise Untersee
Jun 14, 2012 Denise Untersee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: it too everyone
It was an AMAZING book! I had to remind myself that it was a book! I felt like I was there! I would have done the same things as David. It kept my attention, If I had not had a family and work I would have finished it sooner!
Sam
Mar 15, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
this was decent! interesting, if a bit far-fetched storyline. likable characters. happy ending. (i must confess, i do like a happy ending, haha) Christian literature.
Peggy
May 29, 2009 Peggy rated it really liked it
Spellbinding! A real page turner! Totally recommend - even includes a list of book club discussion questions. First time I've read this author - will look for other novels by him.
Becca
Nov 04, 2011 Becca rated it did not like it
Meh. Didn't find it worth finishing.
Sheila
Sep 10, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
Cl Marks
Cl Marks marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Samantha Kuerbitz
Samantha Kuerbitz marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Joy
Joy added it
Jan 16, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015