Start by marking “Damnable” as Want to Read:
Damnable

Damnable

After being disgraced and wrongly imprisoned, special military operative Jake Hatcher finds himself standing watch against an unimaginable threat to humanity. For he?s about to discover that the streets of New York City have become a secret battleground between forces he cannot comprehend.
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Jove (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Damnable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damnable

Frank Errington
Sep 13, 2016 Frank Errington rated it it was amazing
5 of 5 Stars

Not long ago, I received an advance copy of The Angel of the Abyss: A Jake Hatcher Thriller by Hank Schwaeble. Having previously read American Nocturne, I was excited about the prospect of reading more of Hank's work. Then I found out, the new novel is the third book in a series. Even though I was assured the new book works well as a stand-alone novel. I had to read the whole series. Maybe I have a touch of OCD.

Long story, slightly longer. I'm so glad I'm a completist. Had I not read
Matthew
Oct 14, 2016 Matthew rated it really liked it
An enthralling read. Full review to come.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may read the entire review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2011/01/...

Jake Hatcher is a man with a problem. A special military operative, he’s been wrongly imprisoned, and on the day of his release, finds out his brother has been killed; a brother he never even knew existed. This mystery begins a journey for Hank that will take him into the darkest heart of man, and beyond.

Damnable is a wonderful debut novel, and Jake Hatcher is my kind of hero! In a sea of kick ass, tough chicks, he’s a
Mihir
Jul 09, 2011 Mihir rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book while browsing through a catalogue. The book blurb that caught my eye describes the setting as that in New York City and having it involve an ex-military operative who has to search for his long lost brother. I knew that I wanted to check out this book further based on this description.

The setting of this story might seem a bit cliched and in some ways reminds me of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. However after reading the first couple of chapters I knew my perce
Blood Rose Books
Mar 15, 2012 Blood Rose Books rated it it was ok
In his debut novel Hank Schwaeble introduces an evil villain who will do anything to revenge the death of his parent, even if that means destroying the world.

Jake Hatcher is a military interrogator who was at the top of his game and mission when he was wrongly imprisoned by the military. The guards of the prison are slowly trying to break him down, to get him to act out so that he serves a longer sentence, but so far Hatcher has endured, he is only a few more weeks till release. However, release
Rochelle Ragnarok
Aug 16, 2011 Rochelle Ragnarok rated it it was ok
I picked this book up at a Borders going out of business sale, I saw it stacked in the Vampire section and since I read the back cover and thought it had a great concept I picked up this book and Diabolical expecting to have two great books to add to my horror collection. The beginning scene with Garrett was very engaging and only made me even more excited to continue on with the story, then we cut to Jake Hatcher, a man doing time for something he didn't do. I won't spoil anything and I admit I ...more
William M.
Dec 20, 2012 William M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3 AND 1/2 STARS

Author Hank Schwaeble won the Bram Stoker award for best first novel for Damnable, and for the most part, it is well deserved. It’s original premise, some outrageous gore, and many unpredictable moments kept me reading late into the night.

While not as frightening as I think it could have been if more atmosphere was added, Schwaeble keeps the reader hooked by revealing a few pieces to the puzzle with each chapter, until finally, the complete puzzle is revealed in all its evil glor
Mina MacLeod
Jan 04, 2014 Mina MacLeod rated it it was ok
I see why the this book won a Bram Stoker award. This is a solid first novel that doesn't try to be too much of anything, and religious horror is always a plus in my book. He does gore extremely well. Unfortunately, the gripping prose he uses to make you wince through the gory scenes contrast with the remainder of the snappy, easy-going style. In addition, the sometimes casually blatant misogyny leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's not just a character flaw; a character flaw, I could embrace and ...more
Jennifer Harper
May 18, 2015 Jennifer Harper rated it it was ok
I should have liked this book. The writing was taut, there was a hook at the end of every chapter, a complex plot, and yet...meh. I could have set it down at any point and not given it another thought. Part of it was the cliched villain, the insane uber-rich guy with delusions of grandeur. Most of all, it was the MC. I couldn't emotionally engage with Jake Hatcher and the reason is that Hatcher himself seemed void of any emotion. I couldn't feel what he felt because he didn't really seem to feel ...more
Jason
Jul 11, 2011 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
2.5 Stars

This came across to me as a readable first novel with some bright points and quite a bit of standard fare.

I chose to read this one as I cannot satiate my love for the biblical horror sub genre. This book with the name Damnable and the cover synopsis had me intrigued. This story really is a lite-biblical horror with some angels and demons and a lot to do with hell. Jake is a take on the Antihero but I never really connected with him.

There are some decent horror elements but overall, thi
Alexis
Feb 05, 2014 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-ish
This book is not as dark, or "surprising", or disturbing really as the reviews on the covers would have you believe. There are only 3 short scenes, take up an total of 6(?) pages, in the entire book that had anything "disturbing" happen. I was expecting to be on the edge of my seat constantly checking over my shoulder to make sure a monster wasn't trying to grab me, that's what a book named Damnable should make you feel and it just didn't.
It's a well written book, there was one chapter towards t
Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 02, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Not a really "bad" read I suppose. The "blurbs" said things like "don't read it alone at night!" I did...no big deal.

sigh

A pretty standard story...don't take your theology from this book by the way. As I said readable, it won't make you throw it away I don't suppose and it won't really surprise anyone who's read much "horror" fiction. Good for a little distraction when you don't feel like thinking too much and don't mind a little "gross out" fiction (not a lot, but some).
Matthew
Oct 01, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
interesting book and story, liked the characters and the way it was completely different from other types of horror books dealing with 'religious' horror, etc. not quite angels and that but dealt with demons and someone trying to bring hell on earth... very enjoyable, and pretty graphic in some spots if that's your thing...i recommend this for sure.
Steve Schlutow
Sep 27, 2011 Steve Schlutow rated it liked it
Shelves: a-horror, book-series
Diabolical caught my eye, so I ordered this book to begin the series.. It is an interesting series--popcorn thriller.. It is action packed demon/angel book--I was expecting vampires.. I liked being surprised--kinda tired of vampires and zombies.. On to Diabolical..
Mark
May 23, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone -- especially supernatural thriller fans
A great hunt for a serial killer who turns out to be more ambitious than he seems. Great fun and well written.

Read my full review at Feo Amante Horror Thriller: http://www.feoamante.com/Stories/Revi...
J.A. Carter-Winward
Nov 03, 2012 J.A. Carter-Winward rated it liked it
Hank has a really great, strong voice. It makes it so the reader isn't yanked out of the story because of awkward dialog or passages, which is nice. We'll see how the plot plays out. So far, great first novel. Even if it IS horror. :)
Erinhill Hill-Dowdle
Jun 23, 2014 Erinhill Hill-Dowdle rated it it was ok
Pretty interesting take on the murder mystery with demons and half-demons thrown in for good measure. Nice summer read, or no thinky.
Geoff
Nov 21, 2011 Geoff rated it really liked it
A clear and well-written action/horror. Reminiscent of Michael McBride. Great stuff, and I can't wait for the sequel.
T.Finnegan
T.Finnegan rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Joseph Nassise
Joseph Nassise rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
May 18, 2015
Michał
Michał rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Scott Nevins
Scott Nevins rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Bruce Talmas
Bruce Talmas rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Great books
Great books rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2011
John Minnick
John Minnick rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2009
  • The Night Class
  • Crota: A Novel
  • Prodigal Blues
  • House of Windows
  • Black and Orange (Black & Orange, #1)
  • Johnny Gruesome
  • The Lamplighters
  • Audrey's Door
  • Through a Glass, Darkly
  • Grimm Memorials
  • The Blood of the Lamb
Hank Schwaeble is a thriller writer and attorney in Houston, Texas. His first novel, Damnable, will be published by Penguin/Putnam in September 2009 under their Jove imprint.

Hank's first short story, “Mugwumps,” appeared in the anthology Alone on the Darkside in 2006. In 2007, he and Gary Braunbeck won a Bram Stoker Award for the anthology Five Strokes to Midnight, which included three of his shor
More about Hank Schwaeble...