Start by marking “Hate List” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  41,553 Ratings  ·  4,050 Reviews
Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.

Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is force
Published September 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hate List, please sign up.

Riley Hurst It's marked as YA which starts between 12 and 14 at most schools as to when you're allowed to check them out.
Ellen I love this book, the theme is about tragedies and how there is always a solutions. Now matter how deep the hole you are in, some how you will get how…moreI love this book, the theme is about tragedies and how there is always a solutions. Now matter how deep the hole you are in, some how you will get how and never give up. (less)
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyTote Mädchen lügen nicht by Jay AsherLooking for Alaska by John GreenSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Best Teen Books About Real Problems
36th out of 2,344 books — 11,827 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
77th out of 1,827 books — 10,806 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Nov 20, 2015 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“People do it all the time--assume that they "know" what's going on in someone else's head. That's impossible. And to think it's possible is a mistake. A really big mistake. A life-ruining one if you're not careful.”

This is the kind of story I was hoping for when I read This Is Where It Ends - a book that promised to delve into the darkness of school shootings, but never moved past a surface view of mindlessly evil shooter vs. poor victims. Hate List, on the other hand, is dark, psychological
Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. After sitting on my thoughts for a day, I feel like I can't review this book with any sort of polished thought process, so I'm just going to let my fingers type out whatever comes to mind. I think this book probably deserves a 4 star plus rating because it is a story worth telling and a story worth reading, but a few things held me back from going higher.

1. The timing was off for me. Given that my state has been rocked by several shootings over the past several years (the most recent
Kristi
Oct 11, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Three words: Powerful, thought-provoking, & riveting.

The story initially jumps between the actual shooting in May and then following September when, Valerie is preparing to head back to school. Then it focuses on Valerie's senior year and the after math of the shooting itself. It's also laced with newspaper articles throughout the first half or so. These aspects really added a certain dynamic to the novel, and made it one that particularly stands out in my mind.

The narrative of this novel is
BlueLilyxLilyBlue
This book reminded me of the song “Pumped-up Kicks” by Foster the People. It goes something like this:

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, outrun my gun.
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks,
You better run, better run, faster than my bullet.

In the song, the shooter’s name was Robert while the guy in this book was named Nick.

Nick was not a violent person.
At first glance, you won’t even think of him as the guy who could do something like this.
He was a ho
Councillor
If you are a student, then it is highly likely that you know about the constant fear of someone running on a killing spree in your school building or your university. If not, then at least you probably have relatives or friends who could potentially be involved in such a tragedy, just as everyone can possibly become a victim to such a horrifying scenario. That's what this book is about: the way an entire school deals with a killing spree after Nick Levil opened fire in the school cafeteria, ...more
Faye, la Patata
Jun 27, 2013 Faye, la Patata rated it did not like it
What a disappointing book. GAH. I'm so mad.

Whiny heroine, whiny parents, whiny brother, whiny friends. I just can't stand it. And why is she trying to force the idea that Nick was still a good guy even if he shot and killed several people? Don't fucking make excuses for him. Ugh.

I mean seriously, the dad threatened to disown the girl! The mom told her outright that she ruined her life for simply loving the wrong guy. She wasn't even the criminal and yet her family treats her like one. What kind
Olivia
May 31, 2013 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely believe this is a life changing book - it's definitely made me think differently about life. Wow. Just, wow.

*FULL REVIEW BELOW.*

You know when you hear someone say, 'One day, you will find a book that will change the way you think about life.' Yeah? Well for me, that book was Hate List.

This book is one which hasn't got the most action packed plot, yet is rather driven by the stunning, multi-layered characters. Valerie, our main protagonist was such an interesting character to read abo
Anne
Apr 10, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing
A WISE MAN ONCE SAID.

Oh, don't roll your eyes. He IS wise!

OVERVIEW
People hate. That's our reality. People hate and are hated and carry grudges and want punishments ... I don't know if it's possible to take hate away from people. Not even people like us, who've seen firsthand what hate can do. We're all hurting. We're all going to be hurting for a long time. And we, probably more than anyone else out there, will be searching for a new reality every day. A better one ... But in order to ch
Laurie –A Court of Books–
Nov 24, 2016 Laurie –A Court of Books– rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Laurie –A Court of Books– by: Anne
Shelves: read-in-2016

It's been five months. Five months since that tragic day. That day when Nick decides to open fire on his school cafeteria killing those who were on the Hate List. That list, which was written by him and his girlfriend Valerie, classified all those that used to torment them both during the school day. Students, bullies, teachers, popular kids... several of them were shot by Nick until Valerie tries to stop the slaughter, inadvertently saves a classmate and ends up being shot in the leg i
Rose
Initial reaction: There aren't a lot of books that make me cry. This one made me teary eyed in places.

It's a book that covers many difficult subjects and emotions, and there are definitely a lot of times where Valerie was a difficult character to follow, but man - her emotions, experiences - all felt very genuine and real to me.

Val's parents were horrible.

Listened to this via audiobook, beautifully narrated.

Full review:

Oh man, how on earth do I write a review on Jennifer Brown's "Hate List?" Hon
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Hate List is one of those rare finds that leaves you completely stunned and quite literally sends your emotions running around in circles.

As I was reading Hate List I found myself on the edge of my seat wanting to know more about everything in the book. I really loved Valerie as a character, I found myself feeling so bad for her. I hated the way that almost everyone treated her. I think that in a way I found Valerie to be so relatable was because she had flaws and she wasn't perfect, she was a t
Heather
Oct 18, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, ala-s-best-books, 2011
What can I say about Hate List that could ever do it justice? This book was eerie. I connected to it on such a personal level that it sort of freaked me out. I’m really hoping that this fact is due to the talent of Jennifer Brown. For once, I can truly say that I have found a writer that can tap into what it really feels like to be a teenager, an honest to goodness, authentic teen. Not the nice goodie two shoes we so often read about, not the one’s who cuss, sneak off with boys and fight with th ...more
Abigail
5 heart-breaking stars

“Just like there's always time for pain, there's always time for healing.”

This was my second time reading Hate List and all I can say is that it was even better the second time around.

On the surface, Hate List is a story about a school shooting, but if you take the time to dig a little deeper, you will realize that there is so much more to it than that. Hate List is the story of a girl--Valerie--who is struggling to put her life back together and to find healing after the
Cait (Paper Fury)
Aug 28, 2013 Cait (Paper Fury) rated it it was amazing
You know the kind of book that consumes you? I’m talking turns-you-into-a-hermit-until-you-read-the-last-page. HATE LIST is that kind of book. Emotional rollercoaster? Yes.

I wanted to cry. Scratch that – I wanted to bawl my eyes out. The book is about a school shooting, but then again, it isn’t about a school shooting. This is what the author’s note says (in the back of the book):

“Funny thing, I’ll bet if you asked ten readers what HATE LIST is about, they’d answer, ‘It’s about a school shooti
Kim
“Perhaps it is only human nature to inflict suffering on anything that will endure suffering, whether by reason of its genuine humility, or indifference, or sheer helplessness.” ― Honoré de Balzac

Perhaps.

Some article some where said that this was one of those 'must read' young adult books. I didn't really read into it to see why. The title sort of piqued my interest. Who didn't have a hate list? Right?

My 25th high school reunion was 2 days ago. I found this out because a couple of friends from
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
With the electricity gone for a good two days and a mere candle to acompany me in a restless night, I spotted HATE LIST which I had purchased well over a year ago. I ignored it really, maybe because I knew it would be a conflicting read.

With HATE LIST I went through an array of emotions. There were the good parts, the bad and the in - between bits. For the most part, I spent the majority of the novel seriously pissed.

I made some notes in my diary for the first time actually. They are on the roug
Aug 04, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Paul Bryant
Mar 04, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Hate List is a YA novel about the aftermath of a school shooting. Okay, you do get the pre-math and the math itself, a little bit, but 90% is about the aftermath. I don't read YA novels because I'm an A and no longer Y but I read this one because life is pretty random, just like school shootings. One here, one there, who knows where the next one will be? All you know is, there will be a next one.

This is an anguished tale told in the voice of 16 or 17 year old Valerie, and she went out with this
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

Valerie is alone. Her family tiptoes around her, her friends act like she doesn't exist, and most of the people in the community think she should be dead.

Valerie's boyfriend, the person she trusted more than anyone else, shattered her life when he brought a gun to school and wounded several students and killed many others, including himself. Most people believe Valerie was involved, but she had no idea what Nick was planning.

After spending weeks in
Andy
Mar 28, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to write massive amounts on this book, but put simply I would have easily given a 5 star review if it weren't for the confusing tense changes up until about half way through the novel.

The second book of the year to make me cry, multiple times in fact. The story becomes so much more that what is represented at first glance, and it went to places that really reached out to me.

Phenomenal read.
Lynda
School shooting is a topic of intense interest around the world, particularly in the United States where most have taken place. A thorough study of all United States school shootings by the U.S. Secret Service warned against the belief that a certain "type" of student would be a perpetrator. While it may be simplistic to assume a straightforward "profile", the study did find certain similarities among the perpetrators. The researchers found that:
killers do not 'snap'. They plan. They acquire w
Mary
May 27, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thought after I finished: Can everyone just go and read this book, please? Thank you.

I love it when a book creeps up on me and sucker punches me in the gut, yelling: “hello yes I am now in your top favourite books of all time and I don’t plan on leaving”. Hate List did this. I am in love with this book. I cried so much while reading it and it really struck a chord with me.

At first look, Hate List is a book about a school shooting and about the aftermath of that. On May 2nd 2007, Nick open
Drew (Drew’s Cup of Tea)
“I saw everyone, a shifting sea of discomfort and sadness, each person carrying his own pain, each telling her own stories, no story more or less tragic or triumphant than any other.”

Hate List showed how something can happen so quickly and have long-lasting effects. This book focused on no light matter: a school shooting. Interestingly, the author chose to have it narrated by the shooter's girlfriend, Valerie.

How horrible would it be for your boyfriend to shoot up your school, accidentally sho
Zoe Kay
Nov 03, 2012 Zoe Kay rated it it was ok
Honestly, I my main problem with this book is that I found Valerie very difficult to relate to and understand. At points I could connect with the character, but she seemed selfish and acted, in my opinion, unrealistically when faced with certain situations, like just (view spoiler) at the end of the book. She just seems off.

Nick was also very annoying to read about. She tried to highlight Nick's "good side," but he shot up a school. The author doesn't emphasiz
Thomas
Feb 28, 2010 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Hate List is the story of Valerie Leftman, whose boyfriend Nick Levil brought a gun to school and murdered six people and injured countless others. Val is a hero because she inadvertently stopped Nick's shooting rampage by getting herself shot in the thigh, but is also a suspect and associate to the crime because she helped him construct the Hate List - the list he used to pick people off during the shooting. Whenever Nick or Val would get angry or frustrated with the bullies at their school the ...more
Kami Garcia
Truly one of the best books I've ever read. This book will tear your heart and out and Jennifer Brown will stitch it back up for you.
Isamlq
Aug 06, 2012 Isamlq rated it liked it
Powerful subject, this. Yet, there’s still something lacking. Most of the people here felt totally black or white to me (save Valerie, though). Take the bullies, they’re beautiful and popular and disgustingly mean spirited. Take their victims, who’re all on the fringe. But more than that, what of her friends who are not there. Who distance themselves her and prove to her just how alone she was. Or that mystery bad person who drags Nick lower, where was he in all of this? It’s like one mention of ...more
Steph Sinclair
3.5 stars.

I thought the narrator did a really excellent job and the story was written in unique way (told from the MC’s point-of-view and through newspaper articles), but somewhere along the last third, I started to lose interest. I appreciated Valerie’s character and it was interesting to see her search for some sort of redemption despite the incident not being her fault. Her father really aggravated me, though, since he flat out said he would never forgive her and blames her for what happened
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Jan 18, 2015 Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

AND I THOUGHT TORN AWAY WAS THE WORST THING JENNIFER BROWN COULD INFLICT ON MY HEART. I WAS SO WRONG. Ahem. My experience with her novels before ranged from soul-destroying (Torn Away) to okay (Thousand Words), so my expectations for Hate List were that it would be somewhere between the two. NOPE. Hate List broke the scale, my heart, and my brain even though it should have been broken years ago because of how much I've read about school shootings.

Wendy Higgins
This book fills me with a deep ache. I'd wanted to read it for a long time, but I knew I'd have to gear myself up for it. Hate List was as emotional as I knew it would be. Poignant. It shows the good and bad in each of us, how we're all simultaneously winners and losers, and most importantly how we make assumptions without taking the time to get to know people. We are each so complex. This story magnifies that fact. If I was still teaching, I'd find a way to fit this book into the agenda. Loved.
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Hate List 2 6 Aug 24, 2016 06:35PM
Theme Projects 2016: Dylan Owens Spotify Playlist 2 7 Feb 03, 2016 07:39PM
Theme Projects 2016: Will's "Hate List" Playlist 1 15 Feb 03, 2016 08:54AM
How did this book make you feel? 1 20 Sep 14, 2015 08:05PM
The best YA contemporary 1 19 Jul 06, 2015 11:59AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Hate List by Jennifer Brown - Restarting April 18th 2015 21 105 Apr 26, 2015 02:13PM
  • Right Behind You
  • Hold Still
  • After
  • Flash Burnout
  • By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead
  • Purple Heart
  • Quad
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • Willow
  • Butter
  • Freaks and Revelations
  • Ballads of Suburbia
  • Because I Am Furniture
  • Fall for Anything
  • Scrawl
  • Goth Girl Rising (The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, #2)
  • Leftovers
Two-time winner of the Erma Bombeck Global Humor Award (2005 & 2006), Jennifer's weekly humor column appeared in The Kansas City Star for over four years, until she gave it up to be a full-time young adult novelist.

Jennifer's debut novel, HATE LIST (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009) received three starred reviews and was selected as an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a VOYA "Perfec
More about Jennifer Brown...

“Just like there's always time for pain, there's always time for healing.” 499 likes
“Life isn't fair. A fair's a place where you eat corn dogs and ride the ferris wheel.” 226 likes