Start by marking “Not Your Mama's Crochet: The Cool and Creative Way to Join the Chain Gang” as Want to Read:
Not Your Mama's Crochet: The Cool and Creative Way to Join the Chain Gang

Not Your Mama's Crochet: The Cool and Creative Way to Join the Chain Gang

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Forget ugly afghans and dainty doilies and think luxurious throws and sumptuous sweaters. You can crochet cool stuff that will make everyone envious--things to spice up your wardrobe and your pad, or gifts to amaze your "I could never do that" friends. Choose from nearly thirty projects ranging from elegant to earthy--from a chic shrug to a recycled denim rug and from fun ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Not Your Mama's Crochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Your Mama's Crochet

Tatjana
Dec 04, 2011 Tatjana rated it really liked it
I kept this and made stuff from this as long as the library would let me have it.
Initially I checked it out grudgingly. It isn't sexy and slick with lots of glossy pictures. The projects are freaking fantastic! I made my first garment from this... and it looks terrific! No it's not the ugly ass garments you see in most crochet magazines... by contrast it is also not trying to tempt us with crochet that is so very clearly inappropriate for anyone over 24 (not that this has stopped me!). Nope. The
Bookworm
Oct 26, 2013 Bookworm rated it really liked it
Not Your Mama's Crochet is a fun and trendy pattern book with some cute illustrations and section titles, like "The Ultimate Smack-down: Crochet versus Knitting". But aside from the kitschy feel to it, this is a solid little pattern book. There's plenty of information here that I think all crocheters would find useful. So although this book is designed for beginners, I think seasoned crocheters would also enjoy this one. There's information on stitches, diagrams for reference and a section on ya ...more
Jenni
Aug 22, 2009 Jenni rated it did not like it
Shelves: crafty
To be honest, my mom doesn't crochet (as far as I know) so I can't say for certain whether this was her crochet or not. However, I can say that 81 pages were devoted to the extreme basics and included more writing and fewer pictures than I've ever seen in a crochet book. The patterns that are actually included include scarves, a dishcloth, scarves, vests, scarves, shawls, scarves, and scarves. Did I mention that there are some patterns for scarves? None of the patterns were tremendously innovati ...more
Linden
Jun 27, 2016 Linden rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
Liked the content did not care for the patterns. Found nothing I wanted to crochet but did enjoy her explanations.
Juliet Sealand
Dec 04, 2014 Juliet Sealand rated it it was amazing
For years I've been looking for a crochet book that lives up to the high standards I came to expect after The Adventurous Crocheter. There are plenty of decent books out there, but nothing I felt I could really recommend for any level of experience or interest. This is the book I've been looking for.

This is thorough, engaging, quirky, helpful, and I think it has some of the spirit of The Adventurous Crocheter in that it gives a good foundation for taking the leap into designing your own patterns
Connie Marx
Jul 20, 2015 Connie Marx rated it liked it
Had very easy to follow directions. great for beginners.
J.
Nov 25, 2013 J. rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
Read the ebook version from the library. I liked about 1/3 of the patterns but loved the one for the rose coat. The illustrating pictures are tiny on the ebook so it was hard to see details. I liked the variety of projects and styles. I can do simple projects and I learned a few things about harder projects that I think I could be successful at making.
Shonica
Sep 16, 2012 Shonica rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-books
The first part of the book has a lot of useful information about different stitches, yarn, etc... The section about construction basic looks helpful. As far as projects, there are only a few that look interesting to me like the market bag and the peek-a-boo plaid skirt.
Jenay
Mar 24, 2009 Jenay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all crocheters
Shelves:
Very easy to read and follow the instructions. Great book for the new crocheter, or as a class book for a crochet class. I like that it is written so you can skip around! Cool and easy projects included to make this even more of an interesting book.
Dany
May 29, 2013 Dany rated it liked it
It's great for beginners and intermediate crocheters and I did get some new ideas, so in general, I liked it. The one thing that made it lose some stars for me was that I disliked every single pattern she suggested lol.
Other than that, all was well.
Sheila
Mar 19, 2015 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
I skipped part 1 since I already know how to crochet and started reading in part 2: the patterns. It is a very easy to read book with some nice patterns (although nothing I haven't seen elsewhere.) I did make myself a very quick very cute scarf.
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft, library-books
This book has some interesting patterns for young adults and teens who are just starting to learn to crochet.

I just re-read this book. It has some fun patterns that are good for teaching to someone who is interested in learning.
Julie
Mar 18, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This book gave a lot of good information. It had a lot for beginning crocheters, but still had a lot for people that are somewhat experienced and want to expand their horizons.
Jessica
Jun 02, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafting
some good information (not too different from similar volumes). Patterns aren't as contemporary as I'd hoped and pictures are hard to match up with patterns.
Poppy Square
Jul 19, 2012 Poppy Square rated it liked it
It was okay. Very basic, great for beginners. Most of the patterns did not interest me except for the peacoat. I would love to try this pattern!
Angie
Dec 05, 2013 Angie rated it liked it
decent patterns. was gonna give a lower rating but there were color pictures in the back which was the saving grace. some cute trendy tops
Emily
Feb 12, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty, library-ebook
Ok. Not so different from other books out there. Ok patterns; didn't try any so not sure if the instructions were complete.
Kim
Apr 20, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
I like the patterns for scarves from here. I don't think I will do many of the other projects.
WifeMomKnitter
Dec 29, 2009 WifeMomKnitter rated it liked it
An imformative book with some great patterns that unfortunately did not come in my size.
Tracey
Sep 15, 2010 Tracey rated it it was ok
Not for my age group but I can see how this would suit those of a younger generation.
Amy Ovall
Jul 04, 2011 Amy Ovall rated it it was ok
It had a couple of cute patterns in it.
Carrie
Aug 27, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it
Pretty nice book.
1verylovedmom
1verylovedmom marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
Shelley Rollins
Shelley Rollins marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Bridget Hardy
Bridget Hardy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Milla Puoli
Milla Puoli marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Loop-d-Loop Crochet: More Than 25 Novel Designs for Crocheters (and Kntters Taking Up the Hook)
  • 200 Crochet Tips, Techniques & Trade Secrets: An Indispensible Resource of Technical Know-How and Troubleshooting Tips
  • Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 Circles, Hexagons, Triangles, Squares, and Other Unexpected Shapes
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Crobots: 20 Amigurumi Robots to Make
  • Simple Crochet
  • Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts!: Amigurumi
  • Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
Amy Swenson is a knitting and crochet designer and software engineer living in Toronto, Canada. Amy Swenson’s modern knitting and crochet patterns are designed to fit and flatter, with contemporary stylings based on traditional stitch patterns. Many feature textural details, including cabling and lace.

Delicious: indigirl
Facebook: indiknits
Instagram: indigirl
Twitter: indigirl
More about Amy Swenson...