Start by marking “Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906” as Want to Read:
Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906

Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  232 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet is the complete, authoritative guide to the history, technique, and variety of patterns every crochet enthusiast will treasure. Materials and basic techniques are clearly illustrated, step-by-step, to make learning crochet simple. Twenty-one unique and charming projects are stunningly photographed and meticulously charted, with thorou ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Leisure Arts, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet #15906

Marie Segares
Jun 22, 2011 Marie Segares rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crochet, needlecrafts
This is one of the first books I bought for my teaching library after becoming a CYC certified crochet teacher and instructor (in 2008). The book was published in 2002 and is part of a series of books by Donna Kooler that cover various needlecrafts. I recommend this book for many reasons but there are four elements of this book that really make it stand out as a classic.

1. It is organized in a "beginner friendly" manner.
2. It includes both left- and right-handed instructions, with illustrations.
Suzanne Cowles
Nov 05, 2015 Suzanne Cowles rated it it was amazing
This is an older book, that I purchased used but it has some nice crochet motifs, trims, fillet and stitch patterns. It has both written and graphic pattern charts. The front half explains types of crochet, tools, yarns, and the basic core stitches. There are picture frame (corners) trims and flowers. leisure Arts produces great books for the library.
penny shima glanz
Apr 27, 2008 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those wanting to know more about crochet
I’m in the market for a really good crochet stitch dictionary. I’ve been crocheting forever but have never owned a dictionary and really haven’t known about more than the basic stitches plus “popcorn” (mmm.. popcorn). While I can’t really speak to the projects, I am impressed by the clear diagrams and the 164 included stitch patterns. I think I want more but Kooler has done a very nice job of describing the basics of crochet and included a very beautifully illustrated history of the craft. I lik ...more
Susan
Apr 25, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is an excellant book for learning, and being reminded of, crochet basics and more. The written instructions are clear. This is also a great book to learn to read pattern diagrams. It helps to learn the written and diagrams together. Once you learn how to read diagrams you'll be able to crochet patterns from around the world that are not in English but do have the diagrams. Along with basic stitches, there is a section on Tunisian crochet. There are some great patterns. There is also a secti ...more
Lil' Grogan
Jan 14, 2014 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok
Shelves: handmade
In general, like this as a beginner reference book. Some history, technique, big clear pictures of swatches, stitch patterns which are written and charted.

However, the specialty crochet only covers beads, wire and Tunisian; the technique section is sparse; and the small amount material doesn't fit my idea of an encyclopedia.
Devlyn
Mar 13, 2015 Devlyn added it
Shelves: crochet-books
Palm Beach Library
Krista
Jan 10, 2010 Krista rated it liked it
Shelves: library-find
This book seemed really complete in its coverage of all things crochet. Lots of photos of old crochet samples and hooks and a lot of information on lacemaking. The patterns were not too cute but there was a good section in the back that had stitch samples for afghans and trim. I did not follow any of the directions, so I can not say if they were complete or not.
Kiirsi Hellewell
While I am not especially taken with any of the patterns in this book, the stitch pattern guide at the back is EXCELLENT!! There are more than a hundred stitch patterns, motifs, laces, and edgings and they're all explained with written directions, symbols, and clear, colorful close-up pictures.
Jessica
This was given to me for Christmas by a family member who knew I had just taken up crocheting. I'm not really at the level yet to use the whole book since I only know one stitch, but I look forward to using it. The pictures in it are nice and there is a cute baby in one of the pictures.
Emma
Jan 25, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: woollen-arts
I have a library copy but now I've renewed it 3 times I might have to buy it. It's a great source book for those times you forget how to do an extended double crochet.
Tracy
Jul 04, 2009 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Loved it - I reference the pattern gallery regularly. Also has alot of good info on history of crochet, yarns, and tools. I highly recommend it!
Theresa
Nov 30, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: crochet-knitting
Good mix of patterns and pattern stitches. I made the cabled scarf out of it and loved it. It's inspiring to look through.
Jo
Jan 13, 2013 Jo rated it it was amazing
Really nice all-in-one book on crochet for all levels from absolute beginner to experienced.
Judi
Mar 29, 2016 Judi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000s, crochet
Very comprehensive, including history, stitches and the many types of crochet.
Cutecrochet
Sep 06, 2008 Cutecrochet rated it it was amazing
Incredible photographs of stitches that are really inspiring!
Elzaffa
Apr 20, 2008 Elzaffa rated it it was amazing
This is the best shelf teaching crochet book ever. hands down.
Mary
Aug 06, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
so cool! and it shows how to read those stitch grafts
Jacqi
Apr 06, 2009 Jacqi rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Need to buy. Very handy reference.
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 17, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft
Thorough but unexciting.
Susan
May 19, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Great info.
Jorel Thomson
Jorel Thomson rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Gaylene Summers
Gaylene Summers marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Wendy  Wilson
Wendy Wilson rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Jambowpie
Jambowpie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Judith Smith
Judith Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Lo r n a J. Dodge
Lo r n a J. Dodge rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Szotsmile
Szotsmile marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Sharmila
Sharmila marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Pia
Pia marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • The Crochet Stitch Bible
  • The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
  • The Complete Book of Crochet Stitch Designs: 500 Classic & Original Patterns
  • Hip to Crochet
  • Simple Crochet
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet
  • Crochet Me
  • Crocheting in Plain English: Easy-to-follow lessons in patterns, Sensible solutions to nagging problems, The only book any crocheter will ever Need.
  • Amazing Crochet Lace: New Fashions Inspired by Old-Fashioned Lace
  • Loop-d-Loop Crochet: More Than 25 Novel Designs for Crocheters (and Kntters Taking Up the Hook)
  • The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More Than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns
  • Amigurumi Two!: Crocheted Toys for Me and You and Baby Too
  • 100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet: A Collection of Beautiful Blooms for Embellishing Garments, Accessories, and More
  • Crochet Inspiration
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
  • Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia: 300 Stitch Patterns, Edgings, and More
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!