If Birds Gather Your Hair for Nesting

If Birds Gather Your Hair for Nesting (National Poetry Series #146)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this debut collection, Anna Journey invites the reader into her peculiar, noir universe nourished with sex and mortality. Her poems are haunted by demons, ghosts, and even the living who wander exotic landscapes that appear at once threatening and seductive. In these poems, her sly speaker renames a pink hibiscus on display at Lowe's, "Lucifer's Panties"; another charac...more
Published March 15th 2009 by University of Georgia Press

Mikki
This is a beautiful collection of poetry--strong, vivid writing. Powerful in both language and subject matter. These are not poems to be idly skimmed over, but instead, they need to be slowly read and reread with thought and active imagination.

The poems often overlap or have thematically connecting imagery that runs cohesively throughout the book. There are four chapters and unlike much poetry which can be read in nonlinear fashion, I would not suggest that method for this book as it builds poem...more
h
the language is beautiful, but i never felt invited to participate in journey's delicately constructed world. instead, the entire book i felt like an outsider looking in, yet that didn't feel organic to the work. i'd like to read more of journey's poetry, because it promises something intriguing and unique. her blend of the personal and the baroque is refreshing.
Laura Jean
I, too, worked at Lowe's, in the South, when I was a horny a teenager scowling at lecherous men.

Anna gets inside the heart of dissonance in the modern South and turns it out like roadkill entrails for the world to pass.

Passing burns memories too.

Aran
Sep 18, 2011 Aran rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I kept getting lost-- imagery so dense that it's distracting, often, from what she's saying. Liked the surreal leaping of it. But why are gingers so obsessed with their hair?
Saba Razvi
One of my favorites. Definitely one of the best books I've read in the past five years. I'll look forward to another collection by Anna Journey.
Andrea MacPherson
Gorgeous language, startling imagery. Very vivid, clear descriptions of Journey's southern childhood, and the ghosts that inhabit her life.
Juanctoledo
Poems about life, death, prosthetics and relatives ghosts...
Jane
Oct 17, 2009 Jane added it
There were two poems in here that I loved and re-read.
Dana
Jan 05, 2010 Dana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Auzelle
Shelves: poetry
A beautiful collection of poems.
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Silvana
Silvana marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Feb 20, 2014
Meg Cowen
Meg Cowen marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Laila Castro
Laila Castro marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Isla
Isla marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Jerry Stogsdill
Jerry Stogsdill marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Katie Stobbart
Katie Stobbart marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Yael
Yael marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Vulgar Remedies Vulgar Remedies: Poems Kenyon Review Summer 2010 The Southern Review 48.1: Winter 2012