Start by marking “My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  35,361 Ratings  ·  2,429 Reviews
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when
Published August 1st 2009 by Harlequin Teen (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Soul to Take, please sign up.

Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
82nd out of 946 books — 11,532 voters
Unearthly by Cynthia HandDie for Me by Amy PlumThe Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady CrossRumors by Anna GodbersenEverneath by Brodi Ashton
Red Dress, Red Coat
6th out of 438 books — 556 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Jan 03, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Okay, normally I really don't like books where a guy and a girl eye-hump each other for 5 minutes and then decide they're the ones that Kiss song was written for. This book is no different.

At first I was a bit suspicious, because well... it's not like Nash noticed Kaylee before, so I didn't really know where the sudden interest comes from. But my suspicion faded pretty quickly, ahem.

But of course, Kaylee is beautiful, but doesn't know it... And I can see where this thing with Tod is going... (
Jennifer Armentrout
Jul 20, 2011 Jennifer Armentrout rated it it was amazing
Oh jeez, I think I found a new series to obsess over. Great.
Rachel E. Carter
May 19, 2015 Rachel E. Carter rated it it was amazing
A wonderful 5-star read recommended from Michelle (who so willingly read Warner in exchange for me trying one of her rec's)

description

Do you love Meg Cabot's Shadowland series?
Can't get enough of Noah Shaw in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer?
Love YA contemporary or light-hearted YA urban fantasy?
Love two hot brothers along the lines of Stefan and Damon, only more along the lines of Noah Shaw (much better than Stefan) and Damon Salvatore (albeit white hair instead)?

Read this book.

Seriously. If you liked what I w
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
Aug 18, 2013 ★ʜɑʋɘɳ★ rated it did not like it
If you get annoyed at shallow characters, obvious plot lines and a rather unexciting love story, then I'd suggest you skip this book.

I absolute LOATHED this book. So many of my friends rated this book quite highly, which compelled me into wanting to like this, too.
Yeah, well, that didn't work out.
I stuck out until the end, in hope I would find SOME redeeming qualities. There were none.

The Characters
The characters are one-dimensional. They have names, alright, but that's about it. They have a
Tatiana
Jan 18, 2010 Tatiana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Shelves: ya, urban-fantasy, 2010
"My Soul to Take" is, to my surprise, the first YA urban fantasy I've come across. Sort of a teen version of Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series and Richelle Mead's Succubus books. The majority of the teen paranormal books on the market nowadays are straight romances, which means there is a lot of kissing, staring into each other's eyes, sleeping in the same bed (in a chaste way, naturally) and angst, and very little development of mythology or plot. "Hush, Hush," "Shiver" and "E ...more
Navessa
Oct 03, 2015 Navessa rated it really liked it
Rachel Vincent, thoust hast redeemed thouself. Thyself? Thineself? Screw it. Look you’re off my shit list, okay lady?

I liked this book. I really liked it.

I’m not sure if that’s because I hated Stray so much (which I ATTEMPTED to read directly before this one—don’t do it, trust me) or if it’s because this book is really that good. Based on the glowing notes I took, I’m leaning towards the latter.

I recommend this book to readers who:

1. Are sick of hating main characters
2. Are sick of main chara
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
(Mini review to avoid even the slightest bit of spoilage)

I couldn't put this book down, it was just the fix I needed to feed my YA addiction. I love how unique Kaylee's story is, it really pops in comparison to the hoard of para ya out there. Most importantly the world building was freaking brilliant, the characters were engaging and believable, and the romantic aspects were age appropriate.

And then there was Todd *sighs*, me likey Todd ; ).
Sophia Sardothien
Jun 02, 2015 Sophia Sardothien rated it did not like it
DNF@20%

This book is far too boring for it's own good... Annoying protagonist and crappy "insta love"

Kristi
Jul 30, 2009 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, own-arc
I have Rachel’s adult series sitting on my shelf, they still need to be read, but when the opportunity arose to read her debut YA novel, I knew I had to pounce! (That was totally a pun for her werecats novels, just in case you didn’t get that.)

This was an interesting start to a new series. The whole premise of soul screamers is very original and unique amongst the throng of ya paranormal novels. The beginning was slow, but with the amount of back story that Rachel had to do, it was almost inevit
Kayleigh {K-Books}
I had this book sat on my bookshelf for a while before finally picking it up. After reading the first book in Rachel Vincent's adult urban fantasy series, Blood Bound, I instantly wanted to read her other series so I finally picked up this one.

I loved this book, I thought it was amazing. I always enjoy original storylines and I thought the storyline of this book is definitely original and not something I have read before. I loved that we got to see the characters grow a lot in this book.
Kaylee,
Inspired Kathy
Feb 04, 2012 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I probably should have reviewed this book as soon as I finished it earlier this week. Instead I found and read its prequel, then picked up the 2nd book in the series, and then the 3rd. I started the 4th book at midnight last night and have already finished it and just bought book number 5. As soon as I'm done with that I'm planning to buy the 2 novellas I've not yet read. I'm sleep deprived but just can't seem to get enough of this series.

It's been way too long since as series of books kept me u
Sabrina
May 22, 2016 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

This book is amazing for a number of reasons. I finally relate to the setting. I have read countless urban fantasy books and I always wanted a story set close to where I live. The story feels more real.

The concept is unique. It deals with death, souls and bean sidhe. Kaylee knows when someone is going to die when she screams. She predicts death yet she can't stop it. Her screams are ear spitting to humans but music to ma
~Tina~
Jul 17, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it
(4.5 Stars)

My Soul to Take is about a girl named Kaylee, who gets very unusual panic attacks. Sometimes she can see a shadow that wraps around any random person that makes Kaylee want to have a gut wrenching scream, see, she knows when this happens that the person is about to die.
Not understanding what is going on and believing she isn't crazy no matter what people think, Kaylee gets some help from someone she never would have dreamed, the gorgeous Nash. With his help Kaylee will finally underst
Feminista
May 25, 2013 Feminista rated it it was ok
Rating: 2 out of 5.

This book wasn't very original when it came to paranormal YA. Most of the book was spent with the heroine asking questions. The heroine also asked the wrong questions, or unimportant questions first. The heroine needed to get her priorities straight. I could go on for pages and point out where the book failed me, but the points below are instances in the first half of the book that annoyed me:

• The hero is the hot/popular guy at school who is also coincidentally a man-whore.
LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos
I read the first book in Rachel Vincent’s urban fantasy series, “Shifters” a few years ago. I was not impressed, nor did I feel the urge to give it another try. But when I found out she’d written an urban fantasy YA series from friends on Goodreads, I figured, why not?

Kaylee Cavanaugh is a junior in high school who has felt the urge to scream uncontrollably on a few occasions, which she believes are panic attacks. Living with her seemingly oblivious aunt and uncle and her popular cousin, she fee
Katie(babs)
Aug 18, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
Kaylee Cavanaugh has big problems, and not your normal angsty teenage ones. Her father has been missing from her life ever since her mother died, she lives with an aunt who is obsessed with looking young and fit, an uncle who does seem to care about her, but a cousin who can hardly stand her. Her home life may be less than ideal, but Kaylee has more to worry about than getting along with her relatives. Kaylee knows when someone is going to die. And when the Grim Reaper comes for a person’s soul, ...more
Nic
Mar 15, 2010 Nic rated it really liked it
The story is about Kaylee who can sense when somebody near her is going to die. When that happens Kaylee screams bloody murder, something she can't control. Kaylee just wants to be normal girl dating the hottest guy in school, but how can she be when her classmates start dying.

I really liked this book. It was fast paced and a refreshing read. It was a unique concept that sucked me in quickly.

The chemistry was their between Kaylee and Nash and they were both great characters, but the stand out c
Heather
Jan 11, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Wake Trilogy
Recommended to Heather by: Melissa Marr
I picked this book up on a whim, thinking it sounded mildly entertaining and hoping I wouldn't regret spending ten bucks on an author I knew nothing about. Three and a half hours later I went back out into the cold to buy the sequel. I loved this book!

As a lover of mythology, I was somewhat familiar with Banshees’ but the lore in this book was entirely new and surprisingly entertaining. Kaylee is 16 and a bit of a wreck. Her mother died when she was three and her father has flittered in and out
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
After several months I have finally finished this book. I just checked. It's been 5 months. Okay... :/

I wanna make sweet looove with Tod. *sings like Chef*

[image error]

I love that he is a smartass,angry and rude all the time.
Carrie {The Book Goddess}
Apr 14, 2016 Carrie {The Book Goddess} rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2016
/working on review/
Brigid
Aug 21, 2014 Brigid rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5 Star Review: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

This book has been a favorite of mine since I was a teen. I love it to pieces, therefore be warned: I may be slightly biased in my review.

Things that make this novel different:

1. The book features Bean Sidhe (Banshee) from Irish folklore.
2. Parents in this book are actually very significant to the story.
3. The MC voluntarily involves her uncle into the issue instead of trying to handle it all by herself.
4. The MC actually has a spine and do
Harriet
Mar 31, 2014 Harriet rated it it was ok
*2.5 STARS!*

This review may turn into a bit of a rant so I will try and keep it short and hmmm not so sweet!

After reading lots of complicated and long books lately, I was looking forward to an easy read, BUT with a good storyline and a frustrating love triangle. This is what I expected this book was going to give me. Hmmm.. No, no it didn't! Boy was I wrong.

The heroine was such a dramatic FOOL, some things she said and the things she thought was happening to her.. I had to STOP and shake my he
Eunice
Maria (highinthebooksky)
May 14, 2014 Maria (highinthebooksky) rated it really liked it
to be honest I didn't like this book at the beginning but after reading 80 pages or so I was hooked! it was amazing! I looved the supernatural elements and the plot twist at the end! my personal favorite was Tod! he really did it for me:-D I hope he will become more important in the next books bc he is hottttt as hell ! :-D
Cookie
If I write a review it'll probably be for the first volume altogether.
But UUUUUUUGH. Did not approve. Nope. Nuh uh. No thank you.
Howdy YAL
Oct 18, 2014 Howdy YAL rated it really liked it
To see review with gifs click here

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much with this one. Just your standard run of a mill YA paranormal (I mean, even the cover is a cliche). However, Vincent surprised me.

While this book wasn’t without it’s faults, it was oddly refreshing. Romance aside.

Yeah, I really didn’t dig the romance, but it didn’t bother me in the way where I couldn’t stand the love interest. He’s tolerable. A bit bland, but tolerable. What bothered me was that their relationship (if anythi
Alex

Fantastic book! Can't wait to read more about Tod!
Ashley
Pg. 36
So Nash gets major bonus points for not calling Kaylee out on her craziness from the get go, like most guys would. And what the heck is going on with her anyway?

Pg. 200
I love the bean sidhe part of this story. It's such a new element to supernatural YA. I'd never heard of any series about bean sidhes before this one, and I'm glad I picked it up.
I wish I could say that my opinion of Sophie has changed, because usually the shallow, annoying sister/cousin/whatever grows up and develops a litt
Jun 10, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Kaylee has a secret, she knows when someone close by is going to die, and has this irrepressible urge to scream at the top of her lungs.
This wouldn’t usually be too much of a problem, but suddenly teen girls are dropping down dead for no obvious reason, and Kaylee knows that her aunt and uncle are keeping something secret from her – something about her and her life.
Who is killing these girls? Why does Kaylee feel the need to scream when someone is
RainbowGirl RainbowGirl
Reviewed on 01/02/2012

When I read the prequel My Soul To Lose I was so excited to read this series that I actually did a little squeal when I started to read this. But, let me tell you, this book is really good, but you can’t compare to the prequel, not at all.
As always I try to do my review without any spoilers, but some little secrets always escape trough the cracks. All I can say is that this will certainly not spoils the end; cose is really a great end. Really, really great. The whole book
Around the Year i...: My Soul to Take, by Rachel Vincent 1 8 May 09, 2016 12:41PM
Bibliophiles Anon...: My Soul To Take - Chapters 10-12 1 1 Jul 05, 2015 07:47AM
Bibliophiles Anon...: My Soul To Take - Chapters 7-9 1 1 Jun 28, 2015 06:45AM
Bibliophiles Anon...: My Soul To Take - Chapters 4-6 1 1 Jun 21, 2015 06:49AM
Bibliophiles Anon...: My Soul To Take - Chapters 1-3 1 4 Jun 14, 2015 10:35AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 2 Apr 01, 2015 02:28PM
ROMANCE <<<<<<<<<<<<----------- 2 15 Nov 21, 2014 06:14PM
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • The Hollow (The Hollow, #1)
  • Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1)
  • Touch (Denazen, #1)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)
  • Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1)
  • Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
  • Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with
More about Rachel Vincent...

Soul Screamers (7 books)
  • My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)
  • My Soul to Steal (Soul Screamers, #4)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
  • With All My Soul (Soul Screamers, #7)

“My aunt and overprivileged cousin only recognize two states of being: glitter and grunge. And if you weren’t glitter, well, that only left one other option.” 126 likes
“Did he show himself?” Nash asked, and I glanced to my right to see him staring at my father, as fascinated as I was.
My dad nodded. “He was an arrogant little demon.”
“So what happened?” I asked.
“I punched him.”
For a moment, we stared at him in silence. “You punched the reaper?” I asked, and my hand fell from the strainer onto the edge of the sink.
“Yeah.” He chuckled at the memory, and his grin brought out one of my own. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d seen my father smile. “Broke his nose.”
102 likes