Start by marking “The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3

The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3 (Starman II Omnibus #3)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  410 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The acclaimed series STARMAN, starring a Gen-X super hero from the 1990s, is re-presented in high quality format, featuring spectacular art by Eisner Award winner Tony Harris.

In this new, third volume, Starman's hometown of Opal City is terrorized by Dr. Pip, an eccentric bomber. And with no demands from the mad villain, both Starman and the local authorities are unable to
Published June 23rd 2009 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 3

Dan Schwent
Here we are. The third Starman Omnibus.

As I've mentioned in other Starman reviews, Starman is more than just a superhero series. It's the story of Jack Knight trying to fill his father's shoes as Starman. Jack is not your average superhero and should be relatable to a large segment of the comic reading audience.

In this volume, we get the tale of The Shade and his centuries long battle against the Ludlow family, a tale of Will Payton, Sadie's past, Dr. Pip, a trip into Solomon Grundy's subconscio
Kemper
It seems like Marvel and DC Comics are going out of their way to destroy the history of their characters these days with retcons and reboots run amok. DC can’t go a month without blowing up their time stream and the next thing you know, Batman is dead. Wait, no he isn’t. Well, he kind of is, and all history has changed. Or you may think that Spiderman married Mary Jane about twenty years ago. Wrong. Marvel just decided to erase that so I guess none of those stories are ‘real’ now. (Thanks for le ...more
Michael
Starman to me will always be a singular moment in a fictional time and place that too briefly shined like a jewel; we will never see its like again, simply because the act of returning would change everything. The magic would be gone, even if the city and its people came back to us.

I probably should have said that for the final volume but I'll forget it if I don't say it now!
Randy Lander
This is the volume where original artist Tony Harris left and original (and legendary) editor Archie Goodwin died. I knew that my enjoyment of the series took a hit about this time, but I'd never quite put it together that this was why.

The look of the book became less consistent, and often the art didn't quite fit the tone of the story. There's a lot of good, even great, art here, but there is also some artwork that was on the weak side, especially compared to the visual tone Harris and Von Graw
Michael P
Starman is not a super hero comic. Well, I take that back. Starman is a super hero book, but through its heart and depth of character it outshines its counterparts and contemporaries. James Robinson's greatest work continues to reverberate years after its initial printing not because Jack Knight, the seventh Starman, has a cool costume - in fact he barely has one, settling for the practicality of a jacket over the flash of a cape - or a grim and gritty demeanor - he's actually laid back, though ...more
Shannon Appelcline
The Shade #1-4. It’s interesting to see a series focused on the Shade, though I think the character unfortunately accentuates Robinson’s tendency toward wordiness (rather than letting the comics speak for themselves). I also think the whole Ludlow feud gets strung out too long (and is repetitive with stuff from the ‘90s like the family feud in the Flash). With all that said, this book has some good moments in it and is worth reading [7/10].

Infernal Devices (30-35). This is the first longer arc i
Blake Petit
The third collection brings us halfway through James Robinson's brilliant reimagining of Starman. In addition to another nine issues of the series, this volume also includes the second Starman annual, the Starman Secret Files, and the four-issue Shade miniseries, which is brilliant in its own right. This book includes the introduction of the Black Pirate into the Starman mythos, the fate of Solomon Grundy, another "Talking With David," story, and the beginning of the story threads that would ult ...more
Matt
"Matt, are you really going to give five stars to every volume of Starman?"

In a word: yes.

In a few more words: This book continues to be, for me at least, the best superhero comics has to offer. It's a longform narrative by auteurs. This volume in particular, reaching the halfway point of the larger series by its end, shows James Robinson coming into the difficult second act of his larger work with a bit of a stumble that bears strong fruit by the volume's end. And Tony Harris' art provides such
Sesana
Much of this volume is spent setting up what will follow later in the series, so it can be a bit slow-going at times. But it certainly can pack an emotional impact, especially in the resolution of Grundy's storyline and in this volume's dream of David, including this time some deceased Golden Age heroes. (I am not a fan of the infidelity storyline, but I can put that aside in light of what is otherwise an excellent issue.) There's also the Shade miniseries, brief incidents in the life of Shade, ...more
Pturingan
I didn't like this one as much as I liked Volume 2. Still a really nice series so far though. I just thought that the Dr. Pip and Solomon Grundy adventures were a few notches below the stories in the previous volume. I thought Shade miniseries was well done though and the issue were Starman had dinner with the ghosts of dead superheroes was also pretty good.
Jake
Even 10+ years later, James Robinson's Starman run remains the pinnacle of straight superhero comics. JR somehow managed to pull off a superhero book that respected the long history of DC comics while avoiding the usual superhero retardery. Skeptical without being cynical and self-referential without the clever wink-wink of today's cape stories, Starman is the best silver age comic you'll find.

And the art managed to stay consistently similar, even though about 25 guys drew it in and around Tony
Steve
My love for Starman is such a THING that sometimes I forget it started with some pretty damn good comics. Reading this reminded me. Solly's final issues are just as heartbreaking as I remembered, and the Shade miniseries was great stuff all the way through. I had also completely forgotten all about that amazing Talking with David and a bunch of random dead Golden Age superheroes and the really good Times Past with Will Payton that introduced the Bodines.
Matt Sadorf
Seriously, I fall further in love with this book as I delve further into it's mythos. Robinson knows how to weave an entertaining and engrossing story, couple that with amazing artists and you have one hell of a book. I just keep going with this series, and it is slightly sad that I know this is the halfway point for the omnibuses, but the fact that these editions even exist is something great for a collector and lover of the work such as myself.
MIchael
I love Starman, but other than The Shade miniseries stuck in this volume, it doesn't stand up to the last 2 volumes at ALL. I paced my way through this over a long period of time because I just wasn't that interested in the story. Once I finished it I was amped up for the next volume...and then immediately bought volumes 5 & 6...this series is spectacular, but this volume was a lull in what is a great epic.
Michael
An excellent read. I enjoyed the art and story. The Shade back story was good. Not knowing anything about him before reading Starman this gave a good back ground for him as a character. The continuing stories of Jack Knight are worth the read.
Mike McDevitt
Jack Knight is so well-drawn a character I cannot relate to him as well as his generic counterparts of the same era- Kyle Rayner, Conner Kent, or Bart Allen. Really, really good writing anyway.
Matt
The biggest reasons to read this volume? The Shade miniseries, which is amazing, and Infernal Devices, which is another one of the great, long-form arcs the series had.
Eric
I had a hard time with all the Shade nonsense at the beginning. I like the character but somehow the writing was dull.
John
Jan 26, 2010 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I like these (and James Robinson) less and less as the story progresses.
Declan
Some of the best comics I've read. Love it.
Todd
You simply can't beat this series.
Anneliese
Shade! <3 Shade.
Tone
The best so far.
Dominic Achaz
Dominic Achaz marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
  • Gotham Central, Book Four: Corrigan
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • Gotham Central, Book Two: Jokers and Madmen
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson...

Starman II Omnibus (6 books)
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 6
Batman: Face the Face The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1 The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2 Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)