Start by marking “The Beach House” as Want to Read:
The Beach House

The Beach House

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  26,771 Ratings  ·  2,279 Reviews
The New York Times bestseller and ultimate beach read from the author of Promises to Keep and Another Piece of My Heart

Nan Powell is a free-spirited, sixty-five-year-old widow who's not above skinny-dipping in her neighbors' pools when they're away and who dearly loves her Nantucket home. But when she discovers that the money she thought would last forever is dwindling,
Published May 26th 2009 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Beach House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beach House

Cathy
The more books Jane Green sells, the worse her writing seems to get.

The story in "The Beach House" was diverting enoug but the devil is in the details, and the details are where Green fails. She is a British author, and this is her first book set entirely in the US, and she makes absolutely no attempt to rid herself of certain "Britishisms" -- the dates are given as 30 July, instead of July 30; people "get on" instead of "get along." I found several spelling and grammar errors -- a jeweler uses
Alison
Jan 02, 2009 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Her books are going from bad to horrible. My pleas to Jane Greene:

1. The characters are from the US - we do NOT say things like "I'm having a row with my husband."

2. Fire your editor - we may be Americans but we can see glaring grammatical errors!

3. Stop writing books with 10+ main characters

4. Stop switching points of view of said 10+ characters every paragraph

5. Please, please, please stop writing about cliche topics like infidelity and divorce in EVERY SINGLE BOOK.

Jemima J, Bookends and Baby
★★★
Have you ever stayed at a quaint little bed and breakfast where your time with the other guests feels a bit like home? I have and, for the exception of one very awkward interaction (yeah...I'm not going there), it was a pleasant experience. This book reminded me a little of this memory.

In The Beach House, author Jane Green offers multiple characters, each with individual stories, who eventually end up at a beach house in Nantucket. My favorite character was the house's owner, Nan. Her own pe
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Nantucket is a magical place, so many people say. Where good things happen to good people. When Nan discovers that her finances aren't that great, she decides to rent rooms in her large home on Nantucket for the summer to help earn some money. The people who decide to rent from her are all in some sort of deep turmoil in their life and spending the summer in Nantucket and with Nan, will help them to sort all of that out.

First we have Daniel and Bea. Married for close to 7 years with two young g
Melisa
Aug 20, 2008 Melisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this was one of the most poorly edited novels I've read in a long time. had a lot of potential but I really felt like the author didn't put a lot of thought into character development or plot. felt like all of the characters were on similar journeys through different circumstances and it ended a little too perfectly.

I finished the book, but this novel turned me off from reading anything else by this author.
Gabriella
Sep 02, 2008 Gabriella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect end of summer read- the characters and their stories were set up spectacularly- I have loved all of Jane Green's books.
Danielle
I would have given this one more star had there been more careful editing and attention to language. Green is British, but her story and characters this time around are American. Too many British phrases snuck past the editors, who should have known better. Some of the dialogue is awfully wooden, too. Interesting story, but I couldn't get past the easily fixable mistakes to enjoy it fully.
Jeanne
May 23, 2008 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, like Jennifer Weiner, Jane Green has changed her focus from chick lit to women's lit. I didn't know what to expect from The Beach House, but I was definitely not disappointed! It sort of felt like a juicier Maeve Binchy novel, but set in the United States.

Nan is 65 and the local eccentric in Nantucket. She owns a fabulous old house on the bluff (named Windermere) and has recently discovered that her finances are not so great. What's an old gal to do? How about taking in boarders for the summ
Norabee
Aug 15, 2008 Norabee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nantucket enthusiasts
Jane Green’s depiction of Nantucket life and the surrounding history is a fine backdrop from which to tell the tale of Nan Powell. Nan is the 65 year old year-round resident of the famed island. Years ago, Nan was left a young widow after her husband, Everett, committed suicide and in his wake, left a load of gambling debts that rendered her and their young son, Michael, in dire financial straits. The solution came when Nan decided to sell off some of the prized property at Windermere and keep o ...more
Beth
Dec 17, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this author for the first time, I like how she has different plots and they are twisted into each other. It's a quick read, light and summery. Perfect if you are having seasonal depression and you will definately want to visit Nantucket after reading this!
Sarah Salamon
This book is about as light as it comes, and at best it CAN be entertaining. There is one surprising plot twist that I suppose gave it a little worth. However, it bothered me in many ways.
1) It was poorly written - and I read and devoured Twilight, Hunger Games, and all the Shopaholic books (those aren't really poorly written, but they are light).
2) The writer was British and gave all the characters a British dialect. I could tell before even reading the author bio. I doubt everyone would pick
Adrienne Miller
This book could easily be made into a Hollywood movie. It'd be a nice drama, somewhere in the neighborhood of The Family Stone meets Evening. The book is filled with the current cultural views on relationships. We all know that the reason a marriage ends is because, ultimately, that person was never our soulmate, (like we thought they were in the beginning), and in hindsight, we realize that we never really were happy, were never being true to ourselves while we were in the relationship, and now ...more
Yulia
Chick lit is comfort food with little nutritional value, but this is chick lit that I believe most therapists would consider safe for one's self-image and path to mindfulness, as it proves to be rather validating and wise, however predictable the lessons. For this, I applaud Jane Green.

What makes this book a page-turner is that it follows the lives of half a dozen well-developed characters, each at a crossroad in his or her life. There's Nan, a free-spirited woman in her 70s who finds herself s
Jeana
Oct 10, 2008 Jeana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is rumored that Nan Powell is a witch, but the majority of the Nantucket residents agree that she is at the very least, eccentric. She lives in a rambling beach house, skinny dips in her neighbor’s swimming pool, chain-smokes as she bicycles around the island, and pretty much does as she pleases.

Despite seeming to have an ideal existence on the island, the 65-year-old widow finds herself in a financial predicament—thanks in part to her dead husbands gambling debts and a string of bad investm
Angela Spores
Jun 07, 2010 Angela Spores rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. It is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read. If I start reading a book, I have to finish it. I almost didn't finish this book. That's how bad it was. The author kept switching voices sometimes in the same paragraph. First you'd be reading and the story was being told in the 3rd person by a narrator. Then it would be told in dialogue by the characters. Then it would be the characters talking about themselves in the 3rd person. Didn't this author have an editor. An ...more
Sophie
May 12, 2014 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Originally posted on Dreaming Of Happy Endings

With plenty of changes and misfortunes in the lives of a group of strangers, they each decide to escape their day-to-day lives for a summer on the island of Nantucket where infamous resident Nan is renting her home as a house share. When the group are thrown together in Nan’s home, friendships form and the group must help each other through the trials in their lives.

For me, this was just an okay read. I found it to be a fun read but nothing particula
Susan
Aug 14, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Hockessin Public Library Chick-Lit Book Club
Shelves: hpl-book-group
I really enjoyed this book!

When I first started it, I had trouble keeping all the characters straight and the fast-paced switching from one person to the other made me pause and say "Wait- who is this?". Then I wrote down their names and a word or two to remind who was who but once I was into the story, the characters became real, and I no longer needed the paper.

There was something about the writing style that bothered me, and there were some things that slipped past the editors. Nonetheless,
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Books like this are the reason for half-stars! I would give this 2.5 if possible. It wasn't AWFUL or I would not have finished it. But it was an audio and it was the only one I had for a long car ride.

The thing that attracted me to this book was that it was set on Nantucket. I love that place. But I wasn't far into the audio when I realized that was the best part of the book!

I have never commented on the production of an audio book - I guess because most are well done. But this one...the narrat
Joy H.
Below are my comments about this book. The comments were written at my GR group:

I found a good book when I randomly plucked the following book off the shelf at our library: _The Beach House_ by Jane Green. I'd say it would come under the heading of "chick lit". I felt compelled to keep reading it because the plot swept me along. This doesn't happen to me too often. So I was pleasantly surprised.

The writing style isn't fancy; it's straight forward. However, what makes the story interesting is the
Michele
Aug 03, 2008 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beach read, light stuff
A Tidy Little Story
The setting is Nantucket in summer. The characters are well drawn and the set up of their individual stories takes up the first half of the book. In the second half they come together in unpredictable ways, with everything playing out full circle.

Nan, the widowed white-haired, bicycle-riding matriarch is the center of the story and her grand hilltop estate with ocean views (Windermere) is the "beach house" to which the title refers. It's a dramatic backdrop to a variety of dr
Joan
Aug 06, 2013 Joan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading (or in this case listening to)this book reminded me of speed dating. I'd sit down with one set of characters and begin to see what problems they were dealing with and DING - time to switch partners - meet and begin to know another set of characters; start to get comfortable with them. DING - switch to another set of characters; begin to know them and understand their concerns. DING - a new set of characters; begin to know them. DING back to the second set of characters with no warning. A ...more
Caeasso
Judy Collins
Listened to The Beach House on audio and enjoyed the narrator. The setting in Nantucket was good, and the setup of all the different characters in the beginning for an exciting story. However did not happen.

From the drama of (a widow which needs to supplement her income by renting out her house in the summer as a bed and breakfast with a husband who committed suicide or appeared so), a divorced couple with a brat teenage daughter which I wanted to choke with her two year old temper tantrums, to
Vickie
The Beach House by Jane Green is the first book I have read by this author and I enjoyed it. It took me a while to truly settle down with it because of the shifting back and forth of the characters, and there are quite a few. Themes of infidelity, being true to self, and "everything happens for a reason" were strong throughout the novel. There are some GREAT plot twists, and the ending is perfect. I look forward to reading more by Jane Green.

Go Cards! L1C4!!

Stacy Boyles
Jan 29, 2015 Stacy Boyles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this sweet story. It had great characters of every age. I loved Nan the matriarch of the story. She reminds me of my grandmother. Always kind to everyone and sharp as a tack. I felt empathy for each of the characters, the mom with a mouthy teenager, the woman with a broken heart, the dad that made a big mistake and a man that had to be true to himself. I even felt for Nan's husband that got in trouble and ran away. My favorite character was Michael and his search for the right one that j ...more
Jill
Apr 14, 2015 Jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I can not finish this book. The afore-mentioned beach house is barely a part of this book and the main character, who I had instantly liked, is like a ghost in the miserable story line. I am not happy with the myriad stories of misfortune, woe, and sad sacks and find that I do not have time for a book like this.
Linda
Dec 03, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelly
Delightful summer beach read. The individual stories of the families who come to stay with Nan, an older energetic woman, become entangled with the characters engaging and supporting each other during their summer together.
Debbie
Jan 09, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This book was sooo good. A perfect summer read. I like books with a number of characters and Jane Green is a master at intertwining lives. I had trouble putting this down and I did not want this story to end.
Shelley
Dec 07, 2008 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent easy read. Although the topics presented can be a bit controversial, it really does touch places inside.
  • Slightly Suburban (Slightly, #5)
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • Love Rules
  • A Walk In The Park
  • Beach Trip
  • The Accidental Mother (Sophie Mills, #1)
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi
More about Jane Green...

“Anyone can live in a house, but homes are created with patience, time and love.” 1080 likes
“Nothing in this world happens without a reason. That we are all exactly where we are supposed to be, and that the pieces of the puzzle have a tendency to come together when you least expect it.” 86 likes