Start by marking “My Remarkable Journey” as Want to Read:
My Remarkable Journey

My Remarkable Journey

The definitive autobiography of one of the most famous personalities in television history-an intimate, revealing, and riveting memoir that will show a Larry King the world has never known, up close and personal.
Celebrated as "the most remarkable talk-show host on TV ever" by TV Guide and "master of the mike" by Time magazine, for a half-century the world's most influenti
Published May 19th 2009 by Weinstein Books (first published July 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My Remarkable Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Remarkable Journey

Jana
Nov 04, 2010 Jana rated it liked it
I listened to this on audio. A light, entertaining read. I recommend the audio over the book, simply because Larry King is reading it, and various family members and friends read as well. It makes the book come to life.

I really enjoyed learning the details of Larry's life-- his early experiences in Brooklyn, losing his father, becoming a deejay in Miami, gaining (and losing) lots of money, his multiple marriages and everything that led to where he is today. His honesty, about his failures as we
Nick
Jun 24, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting much -- I'm not a big Larry King fan, and this book was a gift. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be one of the funnier autobiographies I've ever read. It's a little choppy, thanks to Larry inviting other voices to chime in at significant moments. But it's an hilarious, quick read.

Larry was a f&%k-up; there's no other word for it. He's had 8 wives. But he's always been surrounded by good friends who have got him into and out of scrapes, including his most serious
RNOCEAN
Jul 01, 2009 RNOCEAN rated it really liked it
In this humorous, anecdotal account, King at 75-plus marvels good-naturedly at his staying power for a half-century as a talk-show host for radio and TV. Born in Brooklyn in 1933 to Jewish immigrant parents, young Larry Zeiger was profoundly influenced at age nine by the untimely heart-attack death of his father and by the medium of radio. Rejected by the army for bad eyesight and uninterested in going to college, he got his break filling in for a deejay at a radio station in Miami, where he ...more
lp
Jul 21, 2009 lp rated it liked it
this book was so poorly written that there were times i worried that my own writing would get worse just being exposed to it. but then again, it's very larry king. he's not a writer, he's a talker. and you get his voice -- unedited. i knew i'd like this book because i once heard him say in interviews he never uses the word "i". that's smart and hard to do. and reading the book made me realize he's one of those people who is so dumb that he's a genius. he kind of admits it himself. he just asks ...more
Windsor Tevita-Tanielu
I chose this book because my parents told to read it and I really liked it after I read it.

I liked this book because he broadcast,the other thing I liked about this book was reading it.I thought Larry King was one of the kids that are smart,he said his dad died when he was nine and he through lot of pain,his went a lot of thing to Larry safe,now that his he can return the fever.
Claudette
Aug 05, 2009 Claudette rated it it was amazing
Did this in audio book--HIGHLY recommended. He is a great storyteller, and his voice is so distinctive that it carries the story. Interesting recorded comments by famiily memeber and friends interspersed. Some really interesting anecdotes about celebrities, historical events, and experiences. Loved it!
Rebecca
Jul 21, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Reading it you can’t help but hear his iconic voice tell his story. It was interesting and funny. I also found it ingenious to have his closest friends and family insert their personal commentaries on various milestones of his life. I would love to see that become an autobiography trend.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Apr 04, 2015 Jacki (Julia Flyte) rated it really liked it
This is a tremendously entertaining book. Reading it felt like I was sitting down with Larry for a few hours and having a wonderful conversation, leaping from one fascinating topic to another. In the prologue Larry explains how he would have liked to be a comedian if he hadn't gone into broadcasting and his sense of humour emerges strongly throughout the book. The man is seriously funny.

This is not a intimate, soul-searching autobiography. For example, Larry has famously been married eight times
Betty
What a strange feeling to be reviewing "My Remarkable Journey" by Larry King! With a rare gift of communication, he takes us on his journey through life beginning as a little Jewish kid in Brooklyn through local radio to global TV fame. From the loss of his father who died of a heart attack at work and the loss of his grandmother two weeks later, Larry King seems always to be looking and finding love only to lose it again. The book is very revealing, honest and fascinating, not because of all ...more
Brad Revell
Mar 22, 2016 Brad Revell rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I have tried to read Larry King's autobiography and am glad I dedicated the time to finish it. I find at times reading the beginnings of biographies quite difficult because it is hard to relate to the person when you haven't seen them grow up. Once you have made it to the stage of their life (when in the spotlight) is easier to do so.

"My Remarkable Journey" is certainly a warts and all story of Larry King's life. He talks about money he has lost, regrets/mistakes he has m
Julie
Jun 05, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It always amazes me what sacrifices celebrities are willing to make for their fame. Larry King is no exception. He made many. Too many in my opinion. I guess I just never wanted fame more than family. I do find it very interesting that people from his generation have a sense of friendship with undeviating loyalty to friends ... a quality that the younger generations seem to have lost in their relationships. My father and his life long friends had loyalty to one another. In ...more
Michele
Apr 01, 2010 Michele rated it liked it
Entertaining, light read. Just skims the surface of some events in his life. While one doesn't mind Larry opting for laugh over detail, it is rather too vague when it came to the chapter of Larry almost bribing Nixon. I'm not sure that anyone could be as naive as King paints himself in that fiasco.

The book makes an obvious effort to avoid offending by being careful not to discuss broken relationships and long lost children too closely, but when the facts are glossed over so speedily, it only rai
Ken Bronsil
Jun 02, 2009 Ken Bronsil rated it liked it
Larry King tells interesting, sometimes hilarious stories, and you sometimes suspect they didn't quite happen as they seem. But he does say in his introduction that, since he is 75 years old, he might have added a few things to his stories so they were more enjoyable to listeners and now those parts are part of what happened. Maybe. They made for enjoyable reading anyway.

What he does best, though, is show what is behind the public persona of many political leaders, entertainers, and other people
Jay
Oct 03, 2009 Jay rated it liked it
interesting if uninspiring autobiography. i recommend the audiobook version where larry (and friends & family) actually read passages from the book. he's a great storyteller and is very captivating on tape--his sense of humor really comes across. however, if you are looking for juicy tidbits about larry's marriages or personal life, this book won't help you see much in to that side of him; he definitely delves in to his personal life but manages to put a positive spin on everything. the book ...more
Feb 10, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
If you love Larry King like I do.......
For some reason, I really like Larry King. I enjoy watching his interviews, and like his interview style. It is fascinating to watch his interchange with people. He is good at not taking over the interview or situation and leaving the focus on the people interviewed. Anyway, when his book came out, "My Remarkable Journey", I had to take a read. And I did. I really enjoyed most of it. Much of the book is little funny stories of his life which I really enjoye
kathi
Oct 30, 2009 kathi rated it really liked it
Since I recently started watching Larry King on CNN I wanted to know his background, etc.

This book concentrated on building his career with a God given gift for communication and interviewing.

What I liked most was his description of boyhood pranks. They were pranks boys used to play in the 40's and 50's. No one got hurt--physically or mentally, they were full of laughs and make great memories. His friend was nick named "Hoo-ha" and reading about this character and his name was so funny.

He touche
Nanci Robertson
Apr 22, 2011 Nanci Robertson rated it really liked it
This was a enjoyable and entertaining book. I always like reading how other people become successful, and this memoir fit the bill. Excellent stories from Larry's childhood, early work as an interviewer, arrest and banishment from the radio, and then success at CNN. Also includes a smattering of introspection and hindsight about his 8 marriages, children he never knew he had, etc. The book is co-authored with Cal Fussman (a writer for Esquire), so the wording and delivery of the story is ...more
Karen Rovner
Larry King is like Forest Gump- he was always in the place that was 18hot 19, or happened to be around people that were making news, or running into famous people, like the time he had a traffic accident with John F. Kennedy, before JFK became President .

This was an interesting and Funny read and I felt honestly told story of Larry King. He was friends with Frank Sinatra and Jackie Gleason and led a fast life.

In my opinion, I am surprised that Larry King does NO preparation for any interview 13
Jenn Hailley
Oct 07, 2009 Jenn Hailley rated it liked it
This book was an easy read, although sometimes it was tedious. I guess it was differnt than I expected...I expected more on the celebritiy encounters and his marriages. He treated the first 7 marriages to about a page total in the whole book. But he had some funny stories which I enjoyed, as well as information on his early career that I didn't know and found interesting. Wasn't a super page-turner...it needed more of 'whats going to happen next' theme
Derek Meier
Jun 10, 2009 Derek Meier rated it liked it
Oh Larry. What a life, what a book. Larry writes about his life like he lived it without worry or fear and just danced his way the entire way through singing with celebs and partying with super models. Maybe I should move to L.A. Love that Larry is a big dog/horse track guy, it just seems so fitting. This guy has left more women in the wake of destruction than Hef, and he's unapologetic about it. Regretting nothing is a pretty cool achievemnet. His greatest gift: his charity.
Krazykat
Aug 29, 2009 Krazykat rated it it was amazing
I learned that not only is Larry King a remarkable Jew (formerly Zeiger), he also has lived a remarkable life and met some remarkable people. His storytelling style is as smooth as his interviewing ethic and his humor is hot damn hilarious. I could not put this book down and was so sad when it ended but am happy for him that he is entering a new chapter in his life at 75 with his young, fascinating family.
Songnoonesings
Aug 11, 2009 Songnoonesings rated it it was amazing
Larry takes us there and back again with this great book on his life and journey. This book was long overdue. I had no problems loving every part of this book excluding the part where he brings up the Uncle Don thing. He swears it happened, and that he heard it. While there is plenty of valid proof that this is no more than a myth. Where plenty of people recall hearing it by more than one radio announcer. Maybe age is starting to sink in on Larry afterall.
Shirlene
Aug 07, 2009 Shirlene rated it really liked it
Larry King is a well-known talk show host on television. In this biography he talks about his personal experiences, as well as those involved with media and broadcasting personalities. He was married eight times (twice to the same woman). Probably his age (75) and the fact that his present wife, Shawn, has ties to Provo, Utah and the Mormons attracted my attention. The book is easy to read and entertaining.
Marisela
Jan 22, 2011 Marisela rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I love hearing about Larry King and his multi-marriage life, his liberal type attitudes even though he may or may not be a liberal. I liked the way he and his son Larry King, Jr. found each other when the timing was right and how they run their organization for people who can't afford heart surgery. I also liked the end of the book and how the tables are turned on him and he is the interviewee.
james
Sep 09, 2011 james rated it really liked it
I experienced this literary work by audio, with Larry King serving as both the author and the narrator. King reveals all from his impoverished youth to his early days in radio to his career on TV. Wifes and sweethearts came and went and from time to time, children appeared, including Larry King, jr whom the father met when the son was 32 years old.
Becky
Dec 02, 2009 Becky rated it it was ok
If I were to have rated the book when I was only about 1/4 through I would have given it 4.5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed Larry's stories about his early childhood and friendships in Brooklyn. When he began to talk about his adult life, however, I was very disappointed and bored. Thus, the 2 star rating.
Becky
Jun 28, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
what can i say? i saw him on jon stewart... so i picked it up - and almost didn't put it down. this book is fascinating and a very quick read. i actually wound up quoting this book at a career fair about a week ago when i was one of a whopping six employers who felt it necessary to show up. what else is there to do? let's talk about larry king!
Eric Fought
Jun 06, 2011 Eric Fought rated it liked it
There are many reasons why I've always been a fan of Larry King. This is an interesting memoir with lots of great stories, some of which made me laugh out loud. Yet, it's a bit over-the-top at some points.
Daniela
Dec 05, 2010 Daniela rated it it was amazing
I admire Larry for his ability to make people feel comfortable before him. He transmits trust and is a respected personality.
My Remarkable Journey is extremely funny and full of surprises. Larrys life is an adventure. I couldnt put it down until I finished.
Kharah
Sep 15, 2011 Kharah rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
My uncle recommended this book and I had no idea what to expect. It was surprisingly good! I really liked how they tried to present more than one side of an event or experience by asking family and friends to contribute, too.
  • The New Dealers' War: F.D.R. and the War Within World War II
  • Thanks for the Memories, Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House
  • Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter
  • The Anatomy of Buzz Revisited: Real-life lessons in Word-of-Mouth Marketing
  • A Promise of Hope
  • Oprah
19874
Larry King is an award-winning American television/radio host. Since 1985, King has hosted a nightly interview program on CNN called Larry King Live.
More about Larry King...