Start by marking “Slippers At School” as Want to Read:
Slippers At School

Slippers At School

Slippers wants to go to school with Laura, but school is no place for a puppy.When she isn't looking, he nuzzles his way into her backpack. Slippers rides the bus, then visits the classroom, the cafeteria, the gym, and even the principal's office, all without Laura noticing—but plenty of other people do! Kids will squeal with delight over knowing more than Laura and seeing ...more
Published July 21st 2005 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Slippers At School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slippers At School

Shannon Jacob
Oct 15, 2014 Shannon Jacob rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Clements, A., & Bynum, J. (2008). Slippers at School. New York: Puffin.

Picture Book Soak

This is a cute book about a dog named “Slippers” who sneaks into the backpack of his owner, a little girl, and goes to school with her. He makes his way around the school without being caught until he returns to her backpack and then home with the little girl without her knowledge. This is a funny story with adorable illustrations and children would enjoy reading the book however I would not pair it with
May 27, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 STARS This books makes me all warm and squishy a really good way. Just a nice book about a family..told from the perspective of the dog! It almost makes me want to have a dog...well...Only if I can have one like Slippers!
This book is a little lengthy for the younger audience that it appears to be targeted toward. However, it's still a great book that you can read at bedtime. The author uses character in this book. The puppy, slippers is definitely personified in this book. I can really see the character in Slippers by how he refers to the humans in this book. I f I were the author I would use more voice in the book because it almost seemed like a computer wrote this book the way it would say a dad, a mom, an Edw ...more
A book about a puppy that lives with a family, and what child doesn't love a puppy. Good bedtime, or anytime, read for young children. Author and illustrator bring forth the family's and Slippers' daily interactions very well.
Xisa Dove
Slippers is the family puppy. He lives in a little house inside of a bigger house. He lives with four people, Edward, Laura, Mommy and Daddy. Edward is little like Slipper, a baby. Laura is the older sibling, they like to play together. Mommy carries Edward and Slipper around the house. Daddy and Slipper like to go on walks. The book was average and geared for toddler audience.
Good book to reassure babies and toddlers of their place in, and love within, their family. Plot revolves around the puppy as an integral part of this family. Lengthy book for this age bracket, but definitely for the younger set.

For ages 18 months to 5 years.
Ashley Allen
This is a great book to talk about characterization. I would give the students a paper with four sections. In the four sections, we as a class would talk about each of the four characters in the book. On the back, I would talk about the characterization of Slippers.
Jul 13, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Would have been 5 stars but I couldn't stop wondering "How does that kid not feel a dog in her backpack?" I mean, wouldn't it be pretty heavy if you went from carrying a ruler to carrying a whole dog?
Oct 25, 2007 Auralia rated it liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
The slippers series are just really great picture books. The stories are great and the pictures are so cute. The stories are such that they actually keep the attention of the kids that it is being read to.
Sandra Stiles
Jul 02, 2009 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
slippers is a dog who wants to go to school with his owner laura. he hides in her backpack and goes to school. Others see him but not Laura. he has quite an adventure.
Aug 01, 2008 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about a dog going to school. It does go through some of the different places in the school. Wasn't what I was expecting through.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
My 7 year old read this fairly quickly. She giggled as she read it. It seems more for a younger child.
Pamela Hubbard
Cute story of a dog who sneaks into his owner's backpack and explores her school on the first day.
Jul 07, 2008 Annabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was really cute!
Damera Blincoe
Super cute!
SNB rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Dorian added it
Sep 23, 2016
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
K. Komatsu
K. Komatsu rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Lori Ann Armstrong
Lori Ann Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Crestwood rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
TessaMarie Beard
TessaMarie Beard marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Lisa Kohlmyer
Lisa Kohlmyer marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Our Family Journey
Our Family Journey rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Nancy Kotkin
Nancy Kotkin marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...