3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  22 reviews
With essays from renowned children’s book authors such as Ann Brashares, Jeanne DuPrau, Caroline B. Cooney, Laurie Halse Anderson, Bruce Coville, Gennifer Choldenko, and over 100 others, each piece is an informative and inspiring call to kids of all ages to understand what’s happening to the environment, and to take action in saving our world.

Helpful tips and facts are int...more
Published March 24th 2009 by Yearling (first published March 2009)

Kristina Jo
Feb 17, 2014 Kristina Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
It isn't really perfect; a lot of authors offer the same ideas –recycle, buy used, don't drink bottled water, turn the water off when you brush your teeth, etc. And some of the ideas aren't exactly feasible for the target demographic of this book –elementary-school-aged kids aren't exactly going to finance a solar roof. But while there are lots of ideas that I've already implemented and plenty of ideas that aren't exactly logical for me (I'm not in school anymore, so I can't organize a stuff-swa...more
Tracy
100 children's authors share their best "Go Green" ideas with personal stories included. It's the usual ideas that you expect to hear but a tip from someone you admire, respect or idolize may help you remember. Years ago I read somewhere that Jennifer Aniston brushes her teeth while rinsing the shampoo out of her hair when she showers to conserve water -- you can't imagine the number of times I think about this while doing the same. Just don't get the toothpaste in your hair because then you'll...more
Jill
Recycle This Book: 100 Top Children's Book Authors Tell You How to Go Green
by Dan Gutman

Great Teaching Tool

This review is from: Recycle This Book: 100 Top Children's Book Authors Tell You How to Go Green (Paperback)
By Dan Gutman

From the cover which looks like a recycled product, to the short simple ideas it contains, this is a very cleaver idea for a children's environmental book.

I enjoyed reading this compilation of stories by my favorite children's authors, sharing their w...more
Cindi

Popular children's authors like Lois Lowry, Rick Riordan, Jane Yolen, Bruce Hale, and Jerry Spinelli all provide short essays detailing how they have chaged their daily habits to live a greener life. One hundred children's book authors were contacted by Dan Gutman ( a children's author himself) and asked what they do to reduce waste, save energy, conserve water, or help the planet become healthier. Each essay is the answer to those questions.

Kids love meeting and talking with authors and they pa...more
Jan Rue
May 19, 2013 Jan Rue added it
Shelves: ed-689-books
Recyle This Book: 100 Top Children's Book Authors Tell You How To Go Green, edited by Dan Gutman (2009). New York:Random House. Just as the title says, 100 children's author's give short 2-3 page talks about some type of recycling they do. And they are all written to kids by the authors. It is broken up inot 4 parts - Your Home, Your School, Your Community, & Your World. The ideas in here are wonderful and it would work well as a read aloud and having discussions on the topics the authors ha...more
Lizzy
Couple things:

-most of these tips were good, and well-written, but some were awful (watch & discuss An Inconvenient Truth at your child's birthday party?)
-pretty redundant (multiple authors wrote basically the same things)
-most tips were pretty common sense or well-known, but some were surprisingly interesting
-it was kind of cool to read the entries of authors I love&remember from when I was younger. It's nice to know so many of them are at least somewhat environmentally-conscious.
Mary
While some of the essays in this were repetitive, on the whole they were short, humorous, and filled with good ideas. Few of them were new to me, as I've read dozens of books on green issues by now, but they would serve as a really good introduction to elementary/middle school kids about green issues. I particularly like that the focus is on what changes even kids can make to help improve our world, instead of just detailing how bad things are right now.
Rachel
There are so many ways to go green that are really helpful for people of all ages, not just kids. Some of them are repeats throughout the book, but still really great. The book also has a few helpful websites, more would have been better. But it prompted me into buying green gifts, not using wrapping paper, and looking into finding a local farmer's market
Marcie
This are such short passages I can see using it in the way I once used to book 50 Ways You can save the Earth. Each passage could be a read aloud prior to science class each day. I liked the sections (Your Home, Your School, Your Community, and Your World). Because there are so many, I probably would pick and choose the selections I liked.
Tanja
Many famous children's book authors share what they do to save our planet - simple ideas, which can easily be put into practice. The short 1-2 page essays not only make good read-alouds to spark discussions on taking care of the environment but also provide a great opportunity to learn about and get interested in a wide variety of authors.
Todd Freer
100 authors suggest ways of going green in chapters called:
Part 1: your home
Part 2: your school
Part 3: Your community
Part 4: Your world

Points out that at some point, people who made these mistakes won't be around to fix them and it will fall on today's students to fix them. If they don't none of this will matter.
Pam
The youngest family member received this book from our friend Debbie as her b-day present. Wow! It is terrific. She immediately started reading it, then started reading out loud to us, and has become engaged in the process of becoming more green. We have started implementing 2 ideas already.
Melissa
This is a great collection of essays. I chose to read just those of favorite authors and found different mixes of humor and earnest green ideas. My son read it cover to cover and proceeded to question our lifestyle. So I guess it could have a positive impact!
Beth
This would be a great book for reluctant readers. It includes 1-2 page essays on what each author does to make the world more green. Most are quite simple, with ideas that anyone can implement right away. Many of the essays are laugh-out-loud funny.
This is a fun one to just pick up and read when there is only a few minutes to kill. The essays are only a couple of pages long. I can't ever pass up a good children's author anthology. Some of our favorites contribute here.
Sara
I like it so much because the authors in this anthology are largely recognizable, the chapters are short, it's completely full of facts, and for the most part it is not boring or preachy. I plan to buy a copy for the classroom.
Simon
This book is great for idea for environmental Friendly and it Kids idea also it everyone. There is allot of author on the chapters so it great idea for tips about going to begin environmental books in the futures.
Pauline
Somewhat repetitive, but short & easy to read...I guess I must be pretty GREEN already since there was no new information here for me.
I particularly liked the essays by Laurie Halse Anderson and Andrew Clements.
It was only okay. The idea behind the book is better than the actual content; the book gets repetitive quickly. Some parts were very funny and some parts were very silly.
Becky
Jun 02, 2010 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5th grade and up
Booktalked by reading "Stamp out witches' drawers" by Jon Scieszka, p. 150.
Sis_p5ejoseph
Tips from many famous authors on how to go green.Very interesting.
Karen
This book is a fun read.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Faithe Guyer
Faithe Guyer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Elcy
Elcy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Meghen
Meghen marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of...more
More about Dan Gutman...
The Homework Machine Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mission Unstoppable Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)