Start by marking “The 5-Factor Diet” as Want to Read:
The 5-Factor Diet

The 5-Factor Diet

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From the bestselling author ofThe Body Reset Diet

Having helped shaped some of today’s hottest bodies, one of America’s most sought-after diet and fitness experts, Harley Pasternak, here shares his revolutionary five-week program that will help you lose weight and get fit without feeling hungry or deprived. One of the easiest programs to follow, the 5-Factor Diet incorporat
Published March 24th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The 5-Factor Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5-Factor Diet

Polly
I would give this book ZERO stars if I could. Oh, wait, you mean I CAN? OK, then this is a ZERO STAR BOOK. It's completely unrealistic that someone could actually eat the crap this guy has dreamed up. Allow me to demonstrate:

(in this critique, the parentheses are my comments, and capitals are my emphasis)

Recipe: Roasted Asparagus Spears with Turkey Slices (my first reaction: meat and asparagus? Yummy! I will make!)

Ingredients:
20 asparagus spears
6 ounces sliced turkey (so far, so good)
2 cups shre
Kristen
I really don't know why I picked up this book at the library, since I usually shy away from "diets," but I'm really glad I did. It read more like a nutrition text and its precepts were common sense stuff. I wouldn't even call Pasternak's plan a diet, but a sensible eating plan. I like the idea of one day off a week. Everyone needs to be naughty sometimes =) The workouts were helpful, but I didn't like many of the recipes because they would cost a lot to prepare and are not practical for feeding ...more
Erica
I've read many diet books this one is the closest I've read to seeming pretty legit. He makes some excellent points and has great ideas. The best thing I've read is that he doesn't restrict you from anything when you're on this diet. Overall the book is telling you the same thing we've been hearing from our families since we were young. Eat right and exercise. Who would've thought right? Mmmm yeah. I'm going to try some of these recipes at least to try them out they seem yummy :-)
Stephanie
I liked the workout section a lot better than the diet section. While a lot of his dietary arguments make sense, I am just not able to prepare myself five meals a day - three of them would be while at work! (And even if they take "only five minutes" - which I doubt, making quiche at work is just not going to happen.)

Perhaps this works for his celebrity clients and it could work for some "regular" people, but not for this regular person.
Kristi
This was a very fast little read. Very motivating, but not much new information for me. There are several new recipes I want to try, so that's a good thing. I did enjoy reading about the benefits of continuing my healthy lifestyle journey I started two years ago. I'm a big believer that a fit life feels better than anything in the world and it comes with some small sacrifices....like putting the ice cream down!
Niknesha Q. Hairston
I just started the Harley Hollywood workout so I figure I better eat right also. I mean what's the use of exercising and burning fat when you put it back on with bad food choices, this book was very helpful especially with all the food choices and education on reading labels on food. Hopefully this book helps me reach a healthily lifestyle.
Yaelian
This is my latest obsession, but it seems better than the others because it does not neglect excersise. It's a diet book, so who can really say whether the writing holds up. The point is that the recipes are pretty decent and I like that the workout routines are really diverse.
Nina
I heard about this diet but I didn't really know what it was about. I saw the book on the new books shelf at my library and I was curious so I checked it out. The recipes didn't sound very good to me and the workouts seemed too easy.
Jen
Sounds reasonable - I tend to skip irrelevant chapters and only read what I want to with books like this, but it makes more sense than a lot I've read. Maybe I'll give it a try....
Jtg
Am about to finish the first 5 week cycle recommended by the author. I like the fitness portion of this book better than the diet/nutrition portion.
Rayna
Seems easy enough, unless you are greedy like me =) No, it's the best way to eat and really simple, you still need willpower though.
Erika
years later..and I still randomly read this book
Even if u dont follow exactly - lots of great info/ideas and easy recipes
I loved reading about other countries way of eating. I am looking forward to trying the recipes in the book.
Kim
I bought it but never really read it, I keep meaning to get to it!!
Shiv allad
yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! itz nice
David Erickson
David Erickson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Todd Stanley
Todd Stanley marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Nancy
Nancy added it
Mar 01, 2015
Shane Peyton
Shane Peyton marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jan 30, 2015
Carol Fronte
Carol Fronte marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
  • Six Weeks to OMG
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: Lose Weight with 433 Foods You Crave!
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • ABS Diet for Women
  • Thrive Fitness: Mental and Physical Strength for Life
  • Eat What You Love: More Than 300 Incredible Recipes Low in Sugar, Fat, and Calories
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition
  • Life Without Bread Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy
  • Prescription for Natural Cures
  • This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off
  • Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
Harley Samuel Pasternak is a Los Angeles-based personal trainer, public speaker and NY Times best-selling author known for The Body Reset Diet and the 5-Factor Diet, a popular diet and fitness lifestyle. He holds an Honours Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario and a Masters of Science in Exercise Physiology and Nutritional Sciences from the University of Toronto. [wikipedia ...more
More about Harley Pasternak...
The Body Reset Diet 5-Factor Fitness: The Diet and Fitness Secret of Hollywood's A-List 5-factor World Diet,The 5 Pounds: The Breakthrough 5-Day Plan to Jump-Start Rapid Weight Loss (and Never Gain It Back!) Body Reset Diet Cookbook,The: 150 Recipes To Power Your Metabolism;blast Fat;and Shed Pounds I