Start by marking “You Don't Have to Be Wrong for Me to Be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanaticism” as Want to Read:
You Don't Have to Be Wrong for Me to Be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanaticism

You Don't Have to Be Wrong for Me to Be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanaticism

Conflict is an opportunity to learn and grow–and often to grow closer to one another.

Brad Hirschfield knows what it means to be a fanatic; he was one. A former activist in the West Bank, he was committed to reconstructing the Jewish state within its biblical borders. Now he is devoted to teaching inclusiveness, celebrating diversity, and delivering a message of acceptance.
Published March 10th 2009 by Harmony (first published December 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Have to Be Wrong for Me to Be Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Don't Have to Be Wrong for Me to Be Right

Laura Duhan
Jan 25, 2012 Laura Duhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. Even thought I already agree with its philosophical and social message, I was enriched by reading it. I received deeper understanding of how to express my pluralistic views, as well as some techniques for dealing with the difficult interfaith situations I sometimes encounter in my work,
Margie
Jan 28, 2008 Margie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, society
So close to being a good book.
But he attempts to come at the topic from too many angles, and as a result doesn't do justice to any of them. Overall it's a bit too lightweight to convince anyone who doesn't agree with him, and also too lightweight to be interesting/intriguing for those who do agree with him. It's less than preaching to the choir; it's waving casually to the choir.
Melanie
May 30, 2008 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I tend to love any books I pick up written by Rabbis :)
This one was no exception. Sometimes its hard to rememember I am not the only one out there that believes in the acceptance of all religions.
And that loving and accepting one another is the true path to any path.
Awesome book! Perfect timing :)
Sherrey
Apr 16, 2012 Sherrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On a recent visit to family out of state, my husband picked up a copy of Rabbi Brad Hirschfield's book, You Don't Have to be Wrong for Me to be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanatacism.
I thought it an unusual choice for Bob as he usually leans toward action, mystery, intrigue and science fiction in his reading. Yet, within a couple of hours, he's telling me how much he likes what he's reading. He's even sure I'm going to enjoy reading it.

When we returned home, I made a point to check the book out
Bert Long
Apr 17, 2012 Bert Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, was a wonderful book. I don't recall how I came across this book in the first place (a common theme that I need to rectify), but it probably had much to do with the fact that I find so little compassion, respect within religions for the "other guys".

I have always felt that in any situation (not just religion), if there is a "have vs have-not" or an "us vs them" mentality, there is always something missing, something weaker than it could be, weaker than it has to be.

This is by far my favorit
Trisha
This book caught my eye as I was walking by some bookshelves of a library. The title lets you know this is a book that isn't going to look down upon you if your ideas, beliefs, and lifestyle is different. I dived in. The best part of the book can be found in the introduction and chapters one through four. I found a lot of good practices for a broad audience. He has a pattern of telling a story. Then offering ideas based on his experience. After chapter four, Brian goes into a court case which is ...more
Ari
Jun 09, 2016 Ari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"More love, more acceptance, and more mercy for everyone"

“You don’t have to be wrong for me to be right” is insightful and courageous. Brad Hirschfield shows us the acceptance and mercy one can have in embracing humanity and extending our respect to people with different faith backgrounds. Using personal experience and patient explanation, Hirschfield makes clear his message: the creation of a harmonious world where different beliefs and religions can coexist does not equal to the sacrifice of v
Melea
Dec 26, 2008 Melea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Rabbi Hirschfield has written one of the few books, that I think need to be required reading by all thoughtful persons. This is all about engaging others in thoughtful, and respectful dialogue. Just because I may not agree with someone I need to respect their rights as human beings (with the free will, that I believe God gave to all) to have their opinions. Once I take the need to be right out of the picture, and respect other people's need to express themselves then maybe we can begin to create ...more
Jill
Apr 10, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jill by: Heard author speak February 2012
When I bought this book, I joked that it would become my interfaith bible, and I think it has! I know that I will struggle with people (both friends and strangers) who I disagree with, but I have this book's teachings to remind me of the importance of recognizing the humanity of everyone -- especially those who disagree with me. This book is a wonderful mix of realism and idealism that combines stories (both from Hirshfield's life and Jewish tradition) and ideas in a profound, often humorous man ...more
Janet Windeguth
Apr 08, 2014 Janet Windeguth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
So many of these “how to live a better life” authors talk a good talk but rarely do we see them practicing what they preach. Not Hirschfield. He presents a challenge, suggests how to approach it, and follows up with many examples from his own life. The book focuses on differing religious opinions (most notably on the question of Israel), but it’s very easy to see that Hirschfield’s lessons can be applied to life as a whole. Part memoir, part spiritual guide, this book’s gentle and gracious style ...more
Sue
In his youth, the (American-born) author was part of a hard-core right-wing settler group in Israel. A particular incident forced him to rethink his priorities. Now, many years later, he's an ordained Orthodox rabbi & a copresident of
CLAL (The National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership). He's written a thoughtful & sometimes wordy book on religious tolerance & on respecting other faiths besides one's own. For me as a reader, he was preaching to the choir, but he did raise so
P. Es
Feb 26, 2009 P. Es rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politik, yahadut
Namby pamby. Throughout the book he defends engagement with people we might find ourselves radically at odds with, which is all well and good. One personality he celebrates, Mo Hassan, who sought with his wife to create a "spirituality both genuinely Islamic and deeply American" - just beheaded his wife. Not sure what Rav Brad going to do with that one. Both dumb, illogical and good things are said in this book.
Crystal
May 19, 2010 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great book about listening to one another, but I am afraid that it felt like he was preaching to the choir. The people likely to read the book are the ones that are already more likely to be open to listening to other perspectives. I enjoyed seeing his strategies though.

The book was written in a conversational style so was very easy to read.
Ann Bredemeier
Jan 23, 2016 Ann Bredemeier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a book club and we had such interesting discussions that I wanted to have this in my personal library. It is very thought-provoking and can change perspectives if we just take the time to evaluate each situation. Way to create discussion and not alienation.
Beth
Aug 09, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful and refreshing. Rabbi Hirschfield has a very global perspective and encompases the dignity of all people. Not to mention I love how he can relate just about every religious teaching to something in pop culture, like Dr. Suess! I would highly recommend this book.
Harrell
Jan 28, 2009 Harrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that every person of faith should read. Our faith and our belief systems have much to do with our perspectives and our experiences. This is a well written work, and it doesn't matter what your faith tradition is, please read this one book.
Donna
Lots to live by. Helps you follow your faith, and helps you to see the world's faithful as all part of God's world.
Janet
Feb 27, 2009 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this book so far. I am learning about the Palestinian Israeli conflict and also about finding ways that we can all talk to one another and respect each other's opinions.
Amy
I really liked it.
Jan 12, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all. My hope for the next generation. Not just tolerance but respect for the views and beliefs of others.
Mollie
Feb 06, 2008 Mollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well written, interesting, and entirely following my line of thought. so clearly I loved it.
Jeff
Aug 03, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsbc-book-club
Learned that it is possible for people who are not fanatics to get along with each other. Just wish there were fewer fanatics in the world.
Barak
Aug 14, 2014 Barak rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kumbaya
Dana
Sep 10, 2008 Dana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all.
Katie
May 25, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
I admire the rabbi's faith and his ability to maintain it while still asking questions and allowing that maybe he isn't right. I want a faith that strong.
faramir10
I'll take paperback, also.
Laura rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Jmaass
Jmaass rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • Saint: Why I Should Be Canonized Right Away
  • Stars of David: Prominent Jews Talk about Being Jewish
  • The Way Is Made by Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago
  • A Code of Jewish Ethics: Volume 1: You Shall Be Holy
  • Believer, Beware: First-person Dispatches from the Margins of Faith
  • Relational Judaism: Using the Power of Relationships to Transform the Jewish Community
  • The Resurrection of Jesus: John Dominic Crossan & N.T. Wright in Dialogue
  • Centering Prayer: Renewing an Ancient Christian Prayer Form
  • Everyday Holiness: the Jewish Spiritual Path of Mussar
  • A Search for What Makes Sense: Finding Faith
  • Where God Was Born: A Daring Adventure Through the Bible's Greatest Stories (P.S.)
  • New Testament Background: Selected Documents: Revised and Expanded Edition
  • Kosher Jesus
  • Letters To A Future Church
  • Street Craft: Yarnbombing, Guerilla Gardening, Light Tagging, Lace Graffiti and More
  • Vows: The Story of a Priest, a Nun, and Their Son
  • Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up? A Debate between William Lane Craig & John Dominic Crossan