Start by marking “Raleigh's Page” as Want to Read:
Raleigh's Page

Raleigh's Page

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
ANDREW HAS grown up near the Plymouth docks hearing the sailors talk about America. Knowing that Andrew's heart is set on going to the new world, his father sends him up to London to serve as page in the house of Walter Raleigh. In Queen Elizabeth's court, Raleigh's the strongest voice in favor of fighting with Spain for a position in the New World, and everyone knows that ...more
Published March 10th 2009 by Yearling (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Raleigh's Page, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raleigh's Page

Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew little to nothing about Sir Walter Raleigh except that John Lennon called him a "stupid get" in the Beatles song I'm So Tired (1968) for bringing back tobacco to England. I found this reading to be incredibly informative and fun at the same time.

I do love a good historical fiction book as history fascinates me. I am sure that a lot of the story is based upon actual occurrences, and adding in Andrew as a young page makes this bit of history fun for young readers, and adults, to read. Yes,
Kim
Gr 4-7-In 1584 Plymouth, 11-year-old Andrew has heard his teacher tell tales of the riches and adventure to be found in the New World. When his father, a childhood friend of Walter Raleigh, calls in a favor, Raleigh agrees to take Andrew on as a page. Filled with excitement, the boy travels to London to reside at Durham House, where he will learn about court life. His training is not limited to the gentlemanly arts, however: as Raleigh grows to trust him more, he involves Andrew in various intri ...more
Erica
Book Talk: Andrew grew up listening to his teacher talk about the opportunities and beauty waiting in the new Eden called America, but the land seemed as impossibly far away to him as the original garden of paradise. Then, one day, his father writes a letter to Sir Walter Raleigh negotiating the terms of making Andrew his page. Before he knows it he is in London working for one of the Queen's favorites--an eccentric aristocrat who is obsessed with the idea of American colonization. But there are ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

As the youngest son, Andrew Saintleger is destined for whatever life his father decides he should have. When his father chooses, just before Andrew's twelfth birthday, to take him to London and arrange for him to train and work under Sir Walter Raleigh, Andrew knows he is the luckiest boy around.

Rumor has it that Sir Walter has turned his sights on America. Andrew knows all about America. His teacher, Master Tremayne, is nearly obsessed with the N
Deb
Dec 04, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
This book is about the first Europeans at Roanoke Island. This adventure in history is seldom written about. To experience through young Andrews eyes the time before sailing, getting ready for Virginia, having to keep the adventure secret, was a great way to understand just how important every move was. This should have been a Newbery winner.
Karen
Apr 15, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before I gave it to my son to read. Because he is a sometimes reluctant reader, I wanted to screen it first. It's well written and gripping. Even if he doesn't enjoy it, I am glad I read it.
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 31, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Raleigh's Page immensely. Alan Armstrong has a likably old fashioned storytelling style; Whittington was sort of a Charlotte's Web redesign; Raleigh's Page reminded me in a way of Little House on the Prairie (simple but still adventurous, episodic, the movement of time alternating between fast and slow).
Kristen Luppino
Interesting point of view for this story! Not written as well as I was hoping, but a good story.
Terri
May 19, 2008 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew leaves his home to become a page to Sir Walter Raleigh and is swept up in Raleigh's plan to explore and settle America for England. Andrew, his former teacher Tremayne, and his mentor Mr. Herriot accompany the first expedition to Roanoke Island. They are charged with recording the findings of the expedition, and Andrew's is rather disillusioned when he sees many of the men behave "like Spaniards," using threat and force to obtain food and hunt for gold.

The book is rich in historic detail
Duane
Jan 16, 2010 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew finds himself becoming a page to Sir Walter Raleigh. Through the chapters, the reader will enjoy learning about everyday life in old England, the excitement over the discover of America and the beliefs of the possibilites that come with it. Young Andrew experiences battles, sailing, harsh weather, low food supplies, Indians, and the struggle to be the best page for Sir Walter Raleigh. I'd have to say the reader would have to be a fan of this time period to enjoy this book, but there is a ...more
Anne Broyles
Feb 12, 2012 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great adventure, filled with realistic details. Readers journey with 11-year-old Andres Saintleger, who leaves his home in Devon, England to become Sir Walter Raleigh’s page. In this position, his world expands as he learns about plants, taking responsibility, intrigue, international politics, Elizabethan England and eventually, the new world of Virginia.
Meg
Nov 16, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has given me a new perspective on historical fiction. The story goes along with Sir Walter Raleigh, his relationship with the Queen, and the way his assistants. Raleigh's Page is a children's book, but my grandmother got so interested in reading it that she wanted to borrow it while it was still checked out to me at the public library.
Marya DeVoto
The hero is a bit of a Mary Sue in this YA historical novel, but there's plenty of action and obscure information about Raleigh, Elizabethan England, and New World adventuring. The Indians get a sympathetic but not hagiographic showing here, but mercifully the Elizabethan characters don't succumb to Disney-style hypocritical anti-colonialism.
Melanie
I enjoyed this book. However, when Andrew (main character) left Great Britain for America, it became a little confusing. Armstrong's writing wasn't as clear and the sequence of events became quite convoluted. I predict kids getting to about three quarters of the way through and stopping because they can't figure out what's going on.
Mengxue qu
This book is about a boy that learn how to be a solider in England. He was name Andrew, he was a brave and intelligent boy. The main idea from this book was a boy make hard work to achieve his goal. He work very hard and done his work.
Katharine Ott
"Raleigh's Page" - written by Alan Armstrong and published in 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers. Very good historical fiction of a young boy's journey from England to America during the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
Vicki
Jun 11, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Historical fiction look at a 11 yr old boy who is given in service to Sir Walter Raleigh for training. Andrew ends up going to America on an expedition to help te Queen find gold and explore settlement opportunities. Very good
Beth
Jan 20, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good solid read with interesting characters and plenty of adventure to keep the kids interested but also pretty accurate history with lots of details about daily life in Elizabethan England and the New World.
Kate
May 25, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sbc-10
This is a historical fiction novel for children that gives a look at expeditions to America through the eyes of a young page of Sir Walter Raleigh. It was interesting but lacked real character development.
Connie
I got some interesting insights into the politics of the settlement of America. Lots of good research here.
Scharlotte
Good lighthearted read about a yourng boy who becomes part of the expedition to explore Roanoke, Virginia.
Ashley
Nov 15, 2009 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction, historical
I'm not a fan of historical fiction. Good story but it took far too long to read.
Sylvia
Good little book full of information on Elizabethan England.
Dru
May 14, 2009 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-historical
a wonderful bit of historical fiction. great read!
Luann
Well researched, easy to read, but was a little too long.
Sojin
A good book for a book report.
Lynda
Lynda added it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alan Armstrong started volunteering in a friend's bookshop when he was eight. At 14, he was selling books at Brentano's. As an adult, every so often, he takes to the road in a VW bus named Zora to peddle used books. He is the editor of Forget Not Mee & My Garden, a collection of the letters of Peter Collinson, the 18th-century mercer and amateur botanist. He lives with his wife, Martha, a pain ...more
More about Alan Armstrong...