Start by marking “Robert Crowther's Pop-Up House of Inventions: Hundreds of Fabulous Facts About Your Home” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  29 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"Junior trivia masters will pore over this pop-up book." — Child Magazine

Would you believe that a scientist caught a cold and died while conducting experiments in early refrigeration? Did you know that soap was once made from goat fat? Can you guess how pumpernickel bread got its name? Did you know there is polytetrafl uoroethylene somewhere in your kitchen? It’s all true!
Published October 2nd 2000 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Robert Crowther's Pop-Up House of Inventions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert Crowther's Pop-Up House of Inventions

Betsy
Mar 05, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
I have a highly developed scientific method in place that allows me to determine whether or not a children’s picture book title is going to be popular or not. Here is what I do:

1. I leave the book on top of my desk at work.
2. I wait.
3. If the book remains untouched, unexamined, and unattended for a day then it may be fine and dandy but it doesn’t have that instantaneous oomph. If, however, I find my co-workers and library clerks picking it up and cooing over it for long periods of time, THAT, my
Becky
Mar 11, 2009 Becky rated it really liked it
Every now and then a book surprises me. Such is the case with Pop-Up House of Inventions. I expected it to be at least somewhat interesting. What I didn't expect was to find it entertaining and fascinating and oh-so-cool. Some pop-up books are more thrilling than others. Some are simple. Some are complex. Some are intricate. Some are amazingly intricate. Such is the case with Robert Crowther's Pop-Up House of Inventions. Each pop-up spread offers something--many somethings in fact--to delight ...more
Rebecca
Aug 19, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tamara
Pop-up nonfiction that is also sort of like a dollhouse -- how can you not love this book? It won't endure long on library shelves, so see it while you can. Peek inside cupboards and closets for additional trivia tidbits about all the inventions you'd find in the rooms of an average house -- one room per page turn. The print is tiny, but will reward those who love seek-and-find books (and yes, there is a tiny naked guy in the shower). I actually never thought about how "an increase in the middle ...more
Tamara
Jul 22, 2009 Tamara rated it it was ok
For some reason, this book seemed extremely boring to me. I think it's because the facts are so straightforward. I tend not to even bother with basic facts such as the first roller shades were early 1760s because I will promptly forget them.

I guess this is more a flaw in myself than the book, but it didn't hold the same appeal for me as it did for Becky.
Lindsey Rogers
The facts in this book are laid out and very straight forward which is wonderful for young students. They will love looking at the book because it is a pop up! You can talk about inventions using this book, have students come up with their own inventions, or even make pop ups with the students. Either way this is destined to be a wonderful lesson. 3rd to 5th.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Birch Wold
Birch Wold rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
jingyi
jingyi rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2009
Diana Eberhardt
Diana Eberhardt rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Amy Beebe
Amy Beebe rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Katy Larkman
Katy Larkman rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Alinipe
Alinipe rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Gail Carpenter
Gail Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Merima
Merima rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Melisa
Melisa rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Jen Johnson
Jen Johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Jen
Sep 03, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very cool popups - story was all about when things were invented.
Deb Oestreicher
Deb Oestreicher rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Alyce Liber
Alyce Liber rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Karen C. Jordan
Karen C. Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Debby Baumgartner
Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2016
Amy Carr
Amy Carr marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2009
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2009
Anita Baraku
Anita Baraku marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2009
Kemper
Kemper added it
Dec 31, 2010
Wooden Horse
Wooden Horse marked it as to-read
May 04, 2011
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Diana Kelly
Diana Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Lillie
Lillie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
May 09, 2014
Anton Klink
Anton Klink marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Emma Butler
Emma Butler marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Rohini Panjrath
Rohini Panjrath marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Pmys
Pmys marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Robert Crowther, a master paper engineer, first discovered the wonders of 3D illustration in art school. "I just loved the way things came alive when you did them in 3D. Particularly if something is flat, then it moves when you open it. It is the surprise element."

The idea for ROBERT CROWTHER'S MOST AMAZING HIDE-AND-SEEK ALPHABET BOOK, which launched his career as a leader in the world of pop-ups,
More about Robert Crowther...