Start by marking “Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,008 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Each week, the writers of The A.V. Club issue a slightly slanted pop-culture list filled with challenging opinions (Is David Bowie's "Young Americans" nearly ruined by saxophone?) and fascinating facts. Exploring 24 great films too painful to watch twice, 14 tragic movie-masturbation scenes, 18 songs about crappy cities, and much more, Inventory combines a massive helping ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Scribner (first published September 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Inventory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inventory

Paul Bryant
I like lists, but not the ones that go

1. Take cats to vets for vaccinations
2. Sort out problem with drains
3. find receipt for broken dishwasher

No, the kind of lists I like are "obsessively specific pop culture lists", of which this book is full. Now there are a few really silly ones in this amusing book such as -

20 not so good movies based on good books (surely these AV guys know that you can make a great movie out of a not-great book but hardly ever a great movie out of a great book, it's a rul
Melissa
Nov 09, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I love books of lists, especially lists of stuff that I am likely to know about. While a book of lists featuring obscure 19th century European novels or popular algebra equations might not fire me up as much as one, which features movies & music, I'd still probably like it well enough.
John
Mar 02, 2013 John rated it liked it
I picked this book up on a whim, from a remainder table at Powell's City of Books. Some of my favorite reads of the last 10 years have come from there. This isn't one of them.

If you read the Onion at all, you're probably familiar with the A.V. Club, their features on media and pop culture. Those pieces, like the rest of the Onion, are usually entertaining. This book is a collection of lists, most of which include commentary on each item, explaining its inclusion. Some of the lists are interestin
Vanessa
Jul 14, 2010 Vanessa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
In honor of the format, I present my own totally random list of why I liked this book:

1.) Rather than just being a collection of lists, there is a cornucopia of worthlesss trivia you can annoy your co-workers with (Kurosawa, Eastwood, Altman and Sidney Lumet all made well-regarded films after they turned 70, Risky Business and Titanic had alternate endings, say--Judgement Night did have a good soundtrack, thanks for reminding me.)

2.) Snark has become so omnipresent its almost more clever to be s
Professor
Feb 02, 2010 Professor rated it liked it
Shelves: clams

If you like the Onion AV Club, specifically their Inventory feature, you'll love this book. If you've never read their stuff or the feature, well, they make an inventory. Ridiculously specific inventories, like "Films that are greatly improved by reading the book they're based on" or "Products for Lazy Americans" and so on. The serious lists can be quite interesting; the comedic lists can be quite funny. The only real downside is, this is Onion AV Club groupthink at it's finest, so expect a lot
Will McGee
Jan 29, 2017 Will McGee rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, funny
I received this book as a Christmas gift in 2016. As a fan of both the 'listicle' format and of pop culture minutiae, it was a very entertaining read - it compiles more than 100 different lists of sometimes highly-specific lists of cultural phenomena, ranging from 'Directors Who Made Great Movies After They Turned 70' to 'Songs About How Much It Sucks To Ride The Bus'. It was a good mix of interesting and entertaining, and I finished the book with a whole list of books, movies, and music to chec ...more
Maggie
May 22, 2014 Maggie rated it really liked it
I love lists, even if I don't get to check things off. They just appeal to me.
Paul
Jun 18, 2014 Paul rated it liked it
This book probably would have been slightly better had I not read it cover to cover AND as an e-book. It's the kind of book you leisurely pick up and read a list while "doing your business". It's entertaining in spots, but at times seems redundant even though it's a completely new list. Because it's by the editors of The Onion's A.V. Club, it tends to lean towards some obscure things at times, most especially when they talk music.

Most disappointing are the contributions by celebrities. Complete
Neil
Jan 12, 2010 Neil rated it really liked it
Another clever offering, funny but usually right in its satire, from The Onion (or in this case, it's spinoff The A.V. Club).

So many funny lists here: I particularly liked the lists of ways you can be sure a sitcom is bad, the best rude noises in the cartoons of Mad Magazine's Don Martin, and the Dr. Seuss characters that sound like sex toys. I guess this just brought out the teenage boy in me, but my wife enjoyed it too.

Sometimes the pop culture references here are too new and uber-hip for my t
Lauren
Feb 01, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
I think the best way to read this book is in front of a computer with Google at the ready. I think that's how Inventory as a blog post works best, as they can embed clips and links. So as a book, some of the fun is lost in print. Then again, maybe I'm just not "with it" enough to know all the often obscure(ish?) music, movie, book and TV references.

However, I still had a lot of fun flipping through this book, and I can definitely say I've expanded my pop culture media knowledge. Not sure if tha
Gretchen Alice
Mar 01, 2011 Gretchen Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not get anywhere near finishing this book, but it's not really the sort that's meant to be finished. It gets four stars simply for accomplishing what it sets out to do, which is write obsessively specific pop culture lists. Written with all the verve and snark you'd expect from the A.V. Club (and its parent, The Onion), Inventory relies on the OCD-like mindset of us pop culture junkies. Did I really need a list of "16 Film and TV Characters Who Know Exactly What They'd Like To Eat"? No, bu ...more
Unwisely
Mar 22, 2010 Unwisely rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of many features of the Onion AV Club, and Inventory is one of them. So it's no real surprise that I really enjoyed this book. Some of them I remembered from the website, but many were new. There are some guest lists - some kinda stupid, some, like Weird Al Yankovic's brilliant entry rivetingly detailed - but mostly it's a lot of the Onion's usual stuff. I check out a lot of new-to-me music from these lists, and occasionally get some other direction for pop culture consumption.

My
Juan Carlo Rodríguez
Feb 02, 2012 Juan Carlo Rodríguez rated it it was amazing
In this new online world, we are used to reading lists. But these go normally as "best of", "worst of" or combinations. The people of the AV Club list them as "songs about the Apocalypse", "lame horror movie foes", "literary gimmicks" and such. Each page is a discovery, and it aches you for more. I love it.

---

En esta era en línea, estamos acostumbrados a leer listas. Pero ellas normalmente son del tipo "las mejores", "las peores" o una combinación. La gente del blog AV Club tiene listas como "ca
Amar Pai
Oct 23, 2009 Amar Pai rated it liked it
The Onion AV Club's pop culture lists are always entertaining. But their first book is disappointingly slim. Given the immensity of the AV club inventory archives, why such a paltry offering? It could have been a slam dunk had they taken the time to publish a longer, denser tome. Instead what you get is an unsatisfyingly quick read that doesn't come close to the fun of browsing their online archives.

Also, the book suffers a lot relative to the website due to lack of embedded mp3s/videos. Turns o
DeAnna Rigney
Mar 05, 2010 DeAnna Rigney rated it really liked it
This is a fun and quirky book of lists, which as the original Ms. Listy Borden, I can’t help but adore. These are not average lists but as the title tells us they are “obsessively specific pop-culture lists.” Some of the lists included are as follows: 8 great films made by directors after they turned 70, 22 great songs inspired by heinous crimes, 16-plus books based around odd literary conceits, etc. There are even guest lists from the likes of Amy Sedaris and Zach Galifianakis, as well as other ...more
Jen Johnson
i don't know what it is with me and books of lists lately, but i think i'm about burnt out! this one is mostly referencing movies and rock music, but some of the list subjects were pretty funny and specific, and i made my own lists of new books to read or movies to see. there are also a few 'guest lists' from folks like amy sedaris and zach galafianakis (hope i spelled that right).
entertaining and slightly informational, but i think it's the last of the list-type books that i will be readig for
Joel
Feb 26, 2010 Joel rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
I don't regularly read The Onion, but saw this at the library and figured I'd give it a try. I wouldn't sit down and read anything like this straight through. It seems like it's better for flipping around in until you see something you're interested in and can skip over other stuff. Noting earth shatteringly awesome, but entertaining for the hour or two I spent flipping around it and reading it aloud to the other person in the room.
Matt
May 05, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Lots of fun ... I guess I didn't completely read it, since I couldn't bring myself to finish the list of Great Movies Too Painful to Watch Twice (too painful for me to read once)... but read the other lists, all of them interesting. The book was great and exposed me to a wide range of information about pop culture. I realized (as I already knew) that I have very little depth of knowledge about music...
A great book to flip through and enjoy.
Sebastian
Nov 30, 2009 Sebastian rated it really liked it
Seriously funny. This book has made everyone in my family (each with their own varying pop culture tastes) laugh out loud on multiple occasions. Plus it provides me with endless additions to my movies to watch/books to read/albums to listen to lists.

The AV Club's website is incomparable when it comes to witty and irreverant writing on pop culture, and this captures the website's sensibility and content perfectly.
Brian
Sep 15, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
This was a cute quick read that contained lists of various pop culture ideas. Some of the lists had very odd topics such as Movies That were about People who Tried to be Funny. There were a few lists I did not enjoy because I didn't know any of the subject matter. Overall, a good read but its very hard to compare this to a full blown novel.
Andy
Oct 20, 2009 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
It's not life-changing or anything, but it has a great mix of serious list and silly ones. And some very funny guest lists. The writing quality is a little higher than the average ones posted to the site as well, since they can't rely on video or audio clips to get their point across and have to lay out an explanation. Good stuff.
Scott
Aug 02, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing
Ok. So this is a book you just have to own. Maybe the lists are online. Doesn't matter. Buy this book. It's brilliant. It deserves to be read and reread. Plus, sometimes it is late at night and you can't sleep … so you flip it open to a random page. And then you stay up all night reading it and it doesn't matter that you didn't sleep because you read this book and you are happy.
Amy
Jan 16, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I love all things AV Club and this book was not a disappointment at all. The Inventory columns are always a favorite of mine, and sometimes I can get a new book to read or new movie to watch from the lists/descriptions. love it
Benjamin Sobieck
Apr 20, 2011 Benjamin Sobieck rated it really liked it
The AV Club is known for these kinds of specific lists. This isn't a book you can sit down and read through in a day. It's better for reading in bits and pieces. Perfect for trivia buffs, pop culture geeks and hipster wannabes.
Feb 07, 2013 Sarah added it
Absolutely love this book. I've an unusual love for anything in the form of lists. You must be fluent in obscure pop culture and know your classic movies (both good and bad.) but a quick read and overall entertaining book.
Drew Raley
Jul 02, 2011 Drew Raley rated it liked it
Outdated and redundant paper collection of internet articles. An artifact of a website that has suffered an exodus of talent and a loss of editorial purpose. I bought it as a bathroom book for a business trip to Florida. It served its purpose. Now it collects dust.
Lizzy
Sep 20, 2012 Lizzy rated it it was ok
It was a good idea for a book, but most of the lists were either dull or interesting but hardly 'obsessively specific.' The quest writers weren't used effectively either.
The Kurt Vonnegut quotes section was probably the best part of the book, but then again, hardly obsessively specific.
Jennifer Daniel
I love a list so this automatically appealed to me. I have added loads of fun facts to my repetoire of usless and innane factoids that I can spew out randomly. Only real nerds seem to enjoy it sadly. I particularly enjoyed the list of "15 ridiculous lies perpetuated by John Hughes movies."
Syntactical Disruptorize
I mostly read these columns in the original. Some of the lists are overlong and the authors spend too much time establishing their hipster cred, but overall it's an amusing look at various cross-sections of music, film, and literature.
Donna
Jan 07, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
Great fun to browse through. Lists range from 1 to 4 pages, making for easy dip in and out when you're short on time. It's also easy to lose track of time and find yourself laughing out loud as you read it cover to cover.
  • My Year of Flops: The A.V. Club Presents One Man's Journey Deep into the Heart of Cinematic Failure
  • Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World
  • The Tenacity of the Cockroach: Conversations with Entertainment's Most Enduring Outsiders
  • Ten Bad Dates with De Niro: A Book of Alternative Movie Lists
  • Yours Ever: People and Their Letters
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Volume 2: Edge of Vision
  • "Have You Seen...?": A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth: The Dark History of Prepubescent Pop, from the Banana Splits to Britney Spears
  • The Best American Essays 2004
  • Plastic Cameras: Toying with Creativity
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 4
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese