Start by marking “Lucy's Blade” as Want to Read:
Lucy's Blade

Lucy's Blade

1. A stunningly original novel from a new author set in one of the pivotal and most interesting periods of western history that combines science fiction, espionage and magic in a new mix. Buffy has a new rival from Olde Englande.

2. This science fantasy novel is set within an accurately described Elizabethan England - with a young girl who fights the forces of evil for the
Published December 30th 2008 by Baen (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy's Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy's Blade

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Sir Francis Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth’s spymaster, has asked Dr. John Dee to summon a demon so he can ask it questions about who is threatening the queen. Just as the demon arrives, though, something goes wrong and the demon jumps into the body of Lady Lucy Dennys, Walsingham’s pretty ward. The demon, who calls herself Lilith, endows Lucy with superpowers, so when England is threatened by malevolent forces, Lucy starts kicking ass in her petticoats.

I lik
Fantasy Literature

I like the premise and plot of John Lambshead
Chris
Jan 27, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Clearly intended as a lighthearted book, and apparently a first novel, so I can cut slack for the spotty editing and lapses in dialogue.

If you can accept 4 premises:

1) Roger Zelazny's Shadow Worlds (Amber) are real.
2) Our descendants will be computer/gravity beings.
3) Magic works (in some shadow universe, at least).
4) Gravity beings, magic, and humans are all intercompatible.

you can enjoy this book. I liked the ambitious scope, even while I was having trouble swallowing the 4 fantastic premises.
Mike
This is badly in need of a good editor - which was a service that major publishing houses used to provide, once upon a time.

The author doesn't know how to punctuate his dialog so that it sounds natural. He uses the word "aesthetic" when he clearly means "ascetic". Despite the fact that he's obviously (painfully obviously) done a lot of research into Elizabethan England - he makes us drink from the hose for most of the first quarter of the book - it's full of anachronisms. And the contemporary fr
Emma Jane
This book caught my interest enough to want to say something about it. I’m always fascinated by Walsingham and Dee, and (in my opinion, anyway) to mix those two figures with a free-floating futuristic intelligence (aka demon) and Elizabethan privateers takes a special kind of authorial swagger. This is a very ambitious premise.

It’s also a bit of a different style of book. It’s the kind of narrative that wanders from one point of view to another, feels free to introduce historical sidebars, and t
Shomeret
Mar 09, 2009 Shomeret rated it really liked it
The characters and portrayal of the Elizabethan period milieu were really well done. I particularly liked the protagonist Lucy, the niece of Sir Francis Walsingham, Elizabeth's spymaster. She had a very interesting relationship with a rather unusual "demon". Given her background, Lucy could only perceive this being as a demon. As science fiction author Arthur Clarke said "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic." I realized that demons don't have to be used in the sa ...more
Moll James
Mar 06, 2016 Moll James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. It's fantasy with science fiction behind it, sprinkled with humor. The main characters, Lucy and Lilith, are very likable, and even the supporting characters are appealing and rich. Lambshead takes several ideas from science fiction and fantasy, and mixes them in a plot with originality and suspense.

One minor peeve I had was periodic jumps between viewpoints and times, but on the whole most of the plot takes place in Elizabethan England, with plenty of intrigue,
Ian
Sep 10, 2015 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: before-goodreads
I find this Title Totally enthralling and Is There going to be another book to continue the story of Lilith & Alice
Meril
Jun 27, 2007 Meril rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
only finished for mocking purposes. perhaps his next novel will make sense, but I doubt it. ending made no sense in context with the rest of the novel, which is even worse.
Kusanar
Jan 03, 2011 Kusanar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
having a hard time getting through this one...
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2010
Charles E Brooks
Charles E Brooks rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Joana
Joana rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Isaac Richards
Isaac Richards rated it it was ok
May 29, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2014
Laer Carroll
Laer Carroll rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Kkb
Kkb rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Bernie
Bernie rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Frederic
Frederic rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
jic
jic rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2013
Fred Morris
Fred Morris rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2008
Joseph Katz
Joseph Katz rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Tom Taylor
Tom Taylor rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
192531
Educated Brunel University of Technology, West London, retired career research scientist British Museum (Natural History), London.
More about John Lambshead...