Start by marking “Dark Night” as Want to Read:
Dark Night

Dark Night

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf . . . tiger . . . and crocodile?!

Little Felix is all alone, walking home through the forest when he hears a spooky howling and spots a wolf approaching! His luck turns from bad to worse when a tiger scares away the wolf and a crocodile scares away the tiger! Can something as small as a rabbit help Felix scare away the wild things prowling t
Published September 22nd 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Night

Miriam
Nov 06, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Little Felix is walking through the woods on a dark night and encounters a series of animals, each fiercer than the last. When he meets a friendly rabbit, they develop a strategy to make their way home safely. So that is a good lesson about coping with fears and thinking outside the box. But what I really enjoyed was the oddly blase and simple narrative, which asks none of the obvious questions. Why is the little boy alone in the forest at night? Why is a crocodile in a forest? How does a wolf b ...more
Mar 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Within days of checking this out from the library Amelia was requesting this one by name. It's scary without being too scary and Amelia couldn't wait to turn the page and make the scary animal roars along with the story. In the end it's about the restorative power of hot cocoa.
Karen
Nov 01, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
OK, I'll admit it -- I picked up this book because of the cover. I thought this book would be wonderful -- because of the cover. It just wasn't.

I didn't really like the story from the first page, and I liked it even less the more I read. I may as well have been reading a Monty Python script to my little boy -- he was that confused. And had I been reading a Monty Python script, I would have been FAR more amused.

The artwork on the cover is enticing. The artwork inside the book is not.

Melanie
Felix finds himself walking through the forest, alone, on a dark night. He hears a creepy sound and hides himself in a tree trunk. It's a wolf. Then he hears a growling sound and when he peeks out of the tree trunk he sees a tiger! But then the tiger is scared off by a crocodile! Felix is not sure what to do when he feels behind him and finds a doorknob. Going through the door he finds himself in a neat and tidy kitchen. Then a rabbit walks in and Felix explains his predicament. He wants to go h ...more
Meredith
For unspecified reasons, Felix takes a nighttime walk in the woods where he encounters a wolf, tiger, and crocodile, but luckily he discovers the door to a clever rabbit's hole by accident, and the rabbit rescues him from the wolf, tiger, and crocodile by scaring them. This is a rather strange book.
Amanda Larson
Feb 18, 2015 Amanda Larson rated it liked it
The illustration style doesn't fit my personal taste, but makes interesting use of color and does well to tell the story, which I did enjoy. The story has a pleasant mix of tension and humor with a fun twist that makes for a good story about not being afraid of the dark.
Naomi
May 14, 2014 Naomi rated it did not like it
I found this book to be all over the place. It opens with a kid wandering the woods. It then goes into scary characters and then ends with a satanic looking mask. I know that kids are supposed to use their imaginations, but this one just went over the top on it.
Maureen Milton
Nov 03, 2013 Maureen Milton rated it really liked it
As the days darken, I read my students lots of books about darkness and especially about children countenancing fear. In "Dark Night," not surprisingly, in a forest at night, a cartoonish child finds himself frightened at the sound of an owl whereupon the child retreats into a hollow in a nearby tree. The owl is scared off by a wolf which is then scared off by a tiger ("'That tiger looks ferocious!' Felix thought.") and so on, until Felix backs into a door that leads down to the warmth of a rabb ...more
Mark
Jan 25, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
The story starts by confidently and simply declaring its territory: "It was a dark night."

As Felix, "very little and very scared," walks through the forest, we begin to see there are two stories here: what Felix thinks he is hearing and what the pictures show.

We see the small owl in the tree look sideways and askance at Felix, so its hooting doesn't frighten us the way it does Felix.

He next sees a wolf, but we see a wolf warming itself at a fire, and then frightened itself by a "Grrrr."

The ti
Danielle
Dec 01, 2014 Danielle added it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm so enjoying Dorothée de Monfreid's artwork! Those animals especially.
John Matsuura
Apr 16, 2013 John Matsuura rated it it was ok
This book's plot was a bit hard to grasp on to. It started with a child who found himself in a dark woods. I did not like how there was no background to how he had gotten there or if it was a dream. During his night in the woods he found himself hiding from several large animals when finally he found a hidden door in a tree that led to a rabbits house. The boy and the rabbit constructed a plan to scare the other animals with a mask so he could get home. This book was very bland and I wasn't intr ...more
Kara
Mar 09, 2010 Kara rated it really liked it
Although the title of the book makes every kid shout, "I've seen that movie!" and you have to explain that this book is not about Batman, it's a winner. Almost every page ends on a cliffhanger, and although the story is short and simple, it keeps the kids on the edge of their seats. It has wild scary animals, a "monster", and a kid who outsmarts everyone. At the end of the book the kids physically relax and take a deep breath, and a little girl told me, "That was just a great story."
Clarissa
Mar 30, 2013 Clarissa rated it liked it
Jessie
Dec 15, 2011 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Good book for little ones about fear and feeling scared. Kind of a easy introduction to a "scary story" that probably wouldn't be too scary for anyone.
Cute ending with the scared little boy teaming up with a rabbit, a scary mask, and a robe and they end up scaring all the "monsters" that had previously scared the little boy. My son found this book to be very relate-able.
Youth Services
Oct 16, 2009 Youth Services rated it it was amazing
Felix is walking through the dark woods at night, very scared and very lost, when he spies a wolf, and must hide in the stump of a tree. The animals become bigger, and scarier! Then Felix discovers a secret doorknob that helps him defeat his fears and get home safely, complete with hot chocolate. A funny, charming book.

Lisle Library Call Number: E DEM
Erin
Dec 01, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
This short book would be great to read to a young one how is scared of monsters in the night. A boy hides from a wolf, a tiger, and a crocodile in the woods and discovers a rabbit's home. To help the boy get home, the rabbit stands on the boys shoulders with a long cape and a mask on. The boy/rabbit monster scares away the wolf, tiger, and crocodile.
Lisa
Oct 04, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every 4 year old on earth.
Such a great book. It was a big hit at home, so I read it out-loud at Mimi's nursery school and it scored big there, too. When 20 four-year-olds are kneeling up (QUIETLY!) to get a good look at the pages, it gets 5 stars.
Tricia
Nov 26, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
when felix meets dark creatures of the night, he turns the tables on them with the help of a friend. kids enjoy seeing their "monsters" frightened for a change.
Cherie
Sep 22, 2011 Cherie rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture Book (fantasy)