Start by marking “The Dove of Death (Sister Fidelma, #20)” as Want to Read:
The Dove of Death (Sister Fidelma, #20)

The Dove of Death (Sister Fidelma #20)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  360 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
AD 670. An Irish merchant ship is attacked by a pirate vessel off the coast of the Breton peninsular. Murchad, the captain, and a prince from the kingdom of Muman, are killed in cold blood after they have surrendered. Among the other passengers who manage to escape the slaughter are Sister Fidelma of Cashel and her faithful companion, Brother Eadulf. The prince was Fidelma ...more
Published 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published October 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dove of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dove of Death

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
170th out of 765 books — 856 voters
A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Yard by Alex GrecianThe Cater Street Hangman by Anne PerryOur Lady Of Darkness by Peter Tremayne
If it's a Mystery Book
46th out of 239 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Spuddie
Jul 29, 2014 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been awhile since I read a book in this series, and I quite enjoyed this one. Fidelma and Eadulf are on their way home from the Council (from the last book) when their ship is attacked by pirates. Fidelma's cousin, who is acting as envoy from her brother, the King of Muman, is brutally murdered along with the ship's captain, a long-time friend. Fidelma and Eadulf jump overboard in an attempt to escape and are rescued by a monk from a nearby abbey who is traveling from one small island to ...more
Laura Edwards
Oct 30, 2014 Laura Edwards rated it it was ok
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
On their return from the Council of Autun, Fidelma and Eadulf's ship is attacked by pirates and they barely escape with their own lives. In the attack Fidelma's cousin is murdered and Fidelma is determined to seek justice. They have been thrown up on the shores of Brittany whose inhabitants speak a different tongue though, fortunately, many speak the lingua franca - Latin. Fidelma throws herself into the investigation with her usual determination and (as usually happens) several more murders occ ...more
Kathy Davie
Oct 31, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twentieth in the Sister Fidelma historical mystery series set in 7th century Ireland and revolving around a religious woman who happens to hold a law degree. This particular story takes place in 670 A.D. in what we now know as present-day Brittany.

The Story
On their way home to Ireland after meeting up with her cousin, Bressal, Fidelma and Eadulf jump overboard to avoid a murderous pirate captain and stumble into a plot to discredit the local lord.

Rescued by Brother Metellus, they finally reach t
Elli
I like Peter Tremayne anyway, and the name is a pseudonym for Peter Berresford Ellis, "a renowned Celtic scholar who has written 30 books on the Ancient Celts and the Irish" (quote from the book jacket). This starts with heavy action on an official ship which has been sent to start and discuss an welcome economic opening between two nations who are rather looking forward to it. Fidelma and Eudalf narrowly escape and are helped by a local monk, and with that beginning the story has well begun wit ...more
Suspense Magazine
Jan 18, 2012 Suspense Magazine rated it liked it
In the mood for a leisurely cruise? Don’t book your passage on the Barnacle Goose, the tragic ship in Peter Tremayne’s “The Dove of Death.” When overtaken by pirates in 670 A.D., the ship is taken captive, along with the people on board, with the exception of those killed and the two who escape—Sister Fidelma and her companion, Brother Eadulf. Saved by a local monk, they find themselves stranded in a small Breton fishing village.
Eadulf is relieved to have been rescued, while Fidelma, a king’s s
Denise
Sep 21, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
#20 in the Sister Fidelma series. 7th century Ireland had a system of laws that were light years ahead of its time (the Dark Ages). Their provisions concerning women were better than any country (including the U.S.) in 2011. There were protections against domestic abuse, divorce, rape, child molestation, etc. Family bonds were emphasized along with loyalty to one's clan. Succession of clan leadership (and even kingship!) were not based upon the oldest son but rather voted in based on the vote of ...more
Paul Rack
I love these books, more for the depictions of the period than the who-done-it mystery thing. I knock each new one off in a couple of days. Sometimes I think I was supposed to be born in 7th century Ireland and somehow ended up here instead.
Carmen
Mar 03, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sister Fidelma and her husband are on the move again. This time they are in a ship with her cousin off the coast of Brittany. They are attacked by pirates and several people are killed, including her cousin. They escape by jumping into the sea. Out of nowhere a man in a boat rescues them. He brings them to his abbey. Somehow Sister Fidelma finds herself in the middle of a mystery. Who is attacking all the ships? As she tries to solve this, several others are killed. But of course in the end she ...more
Mary Ann
Apr 26, 2015 Mary Ann rated it liked it
A.D. 670.
Linda Amos
Mar 21, 2015 Linda Amos rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. Kept me guessing until the last 80 pages.
Judy
Nov 15, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Excellent story in the Sister Fidelma/Brother Eadulf series set in Ireland in 670 AD. This time they are on their return to Ireland from Burgundy and are attacked by pirates, barely escaping with their lives. Taken ashore, Fidelma is determined to find the pirates and killer of her cousin. Lies, secrets, wide variety of characters are involved in a sinister plot not revealed until the very end. Great story. I think the author's story development has really gotten better and better.
Argum
Fidelma and Eadulf are returning home from the last book and chance upon her cousin in Breton as well as the ship's captain from a while ago. The ship is taken by pirates and those men are killed while Fidelma and Eadulf jump into the sea. Fidelma's sense of honor demands she find the culprit. As usual she finds much more. The culprits were easier to discover than the motives, but fun to follow along with Fidelma in a foreign land with dubious authority.
Martijn Onderwater
I quite liked this book, although it would go to far to call it special. But it gave me some hours of fun, so no complaints on that front. The only thing that I missed was a map of the area in which the story is set. That would make it easier to understand the layout of the land. But on the other hand, this is #20 of a series and perhaps I should have started with #1 ;)

/Martijn
Denise
Another great Sister Fidelma story. This mystery involved pirates and plots in a part of the world that is now France. I looked up the are on the internet just so I could see what it looks like today. Very beautiful country! I always love Peter Tremayne books and all the history I learn just from reading these tales.
Cynthia Mcdonald
Dec 09, 2012 Cynthia Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Sister Fidelma is a unique and engaging character. The fact that Tremayne's books are set in seventh-century Ireland makes this series a wonderful opportunity to learn about little-known and even surprising aspects of Irish history. Sister Fidelma's intelligence and strong character shine through every one of these novels.
April
May 04, 2011 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I generally enjoy the historical details this volume seemed to have been stuffed full of them. But, they mystery is a good one and though it seemed to take Sister Fidelma quite some time to catch up on some of the clues, she got there eventually. Not my favorite of the series but still a decent read.
Cheryl
Dec 17, 2010 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
This was more complicated than many Sister Fidelma books, which was part of the point. I did figure out the broad strokes of the mystery before the end although I was fuzzy on a few details. I am curious how she and Eadulf will resolve their looming personal issues in the next few books.
Mary
Sister Fidelma is single minded and I wonder how her husband/companion Eadulf can tolerate her imperious nature, but the stories of her time fascinate. The mysteries are fun, but the important part of the books is the world and the times.
Zareen
Sep 12, 2013 Zareen rated it really liked it
Took me a while to get into it but I found it extremely compelling once I reached the half way point. Finished reading it on Saturday morning, 7 September @ 3am. The ending was slightly surprising as well. A Good Read!
Marie
Dec 28, 2011 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it harder to engage in this installment. The mystery wan't engaging enough. A few times Fidelma is becoming less likable, especially in her attitude to Eadulf. Still looking forward to the 21st.
Jill
Nov 19, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fidelma always gets her man, or in this case, a man and a woman. The sleuth books in this series are an easy read, but nevertheless are well written and informative.
John Hanscom
Oct 03, 2011 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He, in essence, writes the same book over and over again, but he does it so well!!!!!! I learn a lot due to his knowledge of Celtic spirituality and practice.
Bonnie
Oct 15, 2009 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
As always this is a great book in a great series. If we could have laws like they did back then in ancient Ireland we would be better off.
Amanda
May 02, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing mystery with nice historical flavor. I'm not qualified to say how accurate that flavor is, but I enjoyed it.
Margareth8537
May 28, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it
Read the early Sister Fidelma books but haven't come across them for years. Will have to catch up on some of the ones I missed
Roshni
Tremayne's complex plots make the book interesting and the guilty are only revealed at the very end.
Rachel
Jul 21, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Interesting and beautiful setting for the next installment of Sister Fidelma's adventures.
Renee
Dec 15, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I can't pronounce any of those names aloud. The book still rocked: partied like it's 670 AD.
Rosslyn
Good quick read but not as historically informative as previous ones I have read.
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • The Confession of Brother Haluin (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #15)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Writ in Stone (Burren Mysteries, #4)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. Under Peter Tremayne, ...more
More about Peter Tremayne...

Sister Fidelma (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1)
  • Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • Hemlock at Vespers (Sister Fidelma, #9)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)