The Dove of Death (Sister Fidelma, #20)

The Dove of Death (Sister Fidelma #20)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  33 reviews
AD 670. An Irish merchant ship is attacked by a pirate vessel off the coast of the Breton peninsular. Murchad, the captain, and a prince from the kingdom of Muman, are killed in cold blood after they have surrendered. Among the other passengers who manage to escape the slaughter are Sister Fidelma of Cashel and her faithful companion, Brother Eadulf. The prince was Fidelma...more
Published 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published October 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dove of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dove of Death

Spuddie
It had been awhile since I read a book in this series, and I quite enjoyed this one. Fidelma and Eadulf are on their way home from the Council (from the last book) when their ship is attacked by pirates. Fidelma's cousin, who is acting as envoy from her brother, the King of Muman, is brutally murdered along with the ship's captain, a long-time friend. Fidelma and Eadulf jump overboard in an attempt to escape and are rescued by a monk from a nearby abbey who is traveling from one small island to...more
Laura Edwards
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
On their return from the Council of Autun, Fidelma and Eadulf's ship is attacked by pirates and they barely escape with their own lives. In the attack Fidelma's cousin is murdered and Fidelma is determined to seek justice. They have been thrown up on the shores of Brittany whose inhabitants speak a different tongue though, fortunately, many speak the lingua franca - Latin. Fidelma throws herself into the investigation with her usual determination and (as usually happens) several more murders occ...more
Kathy Davie
Twentieth in the Sister Fidelma historical mystery series set in 7th century Ireland and revolving around a religious woman who happens to hold a law degree. This particular story takes place in 670 A.D. in what we now know as present-day Brittany.

The Story
On their way home to Ireland after meeting up with her cousin, Bressal, Fidelma and Eadulf jump overboard to avoid a murderous pirate captain and stumble into a plot to discredit the local lord.

Rescued by Brother Metellus, they finally reach t...more
Elli
I like Peter Tremayne anyway, and the name is a pseudonym for Peter Berresford Ellis, "a renowned Celtic scholar who has written 30 books on the Ancient Celts and the Irish" (quote from the book jacket). This starts with heavy action on an official ship which has been sent to start and discuss an welcome economic opening between two nations who are rather looking forward to it. Fidelma and Eudalf narrowly escape and are helped by a local monk, and with that beginning the story has well begun wit...more
Suspense Magazine
In the mood for a leisurely cruise? Don’t book your passage on the Barnacle Goose, the tragic ship in Peter Tremayne’s “The Dove of Death.” When overtaken by pirates in 670 A.D., the ship is taken captive, along with the people on board, with the exception of those killed and the two who escape—Sister Fidelma and her companion, Brother Eadulf. Saved by a local monk, they find themselves stranded in a small Breton fishing village.
Eadulf is relieved to have been rescued, while Fidelma, a king’s s...more
Denise
#20 in the Sister Fidelma series. 7th century Ireland had a system of laws that were light years ahead of its time (the Dark Ages). Their provisions concerning women were better than any country (including the U.S.) in 2011. There were protections against domestic abuse, divorce, rape, child molestation, etc. Family bonds were emphasized along with loyalty to one's clan. Succession of clan leadership (and even kingship!) were not based upon the oldest son but rather voted in based on the vote of...more
Carmen
Sister Fidelma and her husband are on the move again. This time they are in a ship with her cousin off the coast of Brittany. They are attacked by pirates and several people are killed, including her cousin. They escape by jumping into the sea. Out of nowhere a man in a boat rescues them. He brings them to his abbey. Somehow Sister Fidelma finds herself in the middle of a mystery. Who is attacking all the ships? As she tries to solve this, several others are killed. But of course in the end she...more
Judy
Excellent story in the Sister Fidelma/Brother Eadulf series set in Ireland in 670 AD. This time they are on their return to Ireland from Burgundy and are attacked by pirates, barely escaping with their lives. Taken ashore, Fidelma is determined to find the pirates and killer of her cousin. Lies, secrets, wide variety of characters are involved in a sinister plot not revealed until the very end. Great story. I think the author's story development has really gotten better and better.
Jeanne
Another engrossing historical mystery by Peter Tremayne, featuring Sister Fidelma and her companion Brother Eadulf. As complicated as usual, and Fidelma's intelligence and logic save the day. Perhaps I've read too many, because it just wasn't as exciting this time. Very interesting for the historical background of the time, particularly about Ireland where Fidelma is from, but seemed a bit too formulaic. Fun, nonetheless.
Martijn Onderwater
I quite liked this book, although it would go to far to call it special. But it gave me some hours of fun, so no complaints on that front. The only thing that I missed was a map of the area in which the story is set. That would make it easier to understand the layout of the land. But on the other hand, this is #20 of a series and perhaps I should have started with #1 ;)

/Martijn
Denise
Another great Sister Fidelma story. This mystery involved pirates and plots in a part of the world that is now France. I looked up the are on the internet just so I could see what it looks like today. Very beautiful country! I always love Peter Tremayne books and all the history I learn just from reading these tales.
Cynthia Mcdonald
Sister Fidelma is a unique and engaging character. The fact that Tremayne's books are set in seventh-century Ireland makes this series a wonderful opportunity to learn about little-known and even surprising aspects of Irish history. Sister Fidelma's intelligence and strong character shine through every one of these novels.
April
While I generally enjoy the historical details this volume seemed to have been stuffed full of them. But, they mystery is a good one and though it seemed to take Sister Fidelma quite some time to catch up on some of the clues, she got there eventually. Not my favorite of the series but still a decent read.
Cheryl
This was more complicated than many Sister Fidelma books, which was part of the point. I did figure out the broad strokes of the mystery before the end although I was fuzzy on a few details. I am curious how she and Eadulf will resolve their looming personal issues in the next few books.
Mary
Sister Fidelma is single minded and I wonder how her husband/companion Eadulf can tolerate her imperious nature, but the stories of her time fascinate. The mysteries are fun, but the important part of the books is the world and the times.
Zareen
Took me a while to get into it but I found it extremely compelling once I reached the half way point. Finished reading it on Saturday morning, 7 September @ 3am. The ending was slightly surprising as well. A Good Read!
Marie
I found it harder to engage in this installment. The mystery wan't engaging enough. A few times Fidelma is becoming less likable, especially in her attitude to Eadulf. Still looking forward to the 21st.
Jill
Fidelma always gets her man, or in this case, a man and a woman. The sleuth books in this series are an easy read, but nevertheless are well written and informative.
John Hanscom
He, in essence, writes the same book over and over again, but he does it so well!!!!!! I learn a lot due to his knowledge of Celtic spirituality and practice.
Bonnie
As always this is a great book in a great series. If we could have laws like they did back then in ancient Ireland we would be better off.
Amanda
An intriguing mystery with nice historical flavor. I'm not qualified to say how accurate that flavor is, but I enjoyed it.
Margareth8537
Read the early Sister Fidelma books but haven't come across them for years. Will have to catch up on some of the ones I missed
Roshni
Tremayne's complex plots make the book interesting and the guilty are only revealed at the very end.
Renee
Ok, so I can't pronounce any of those names aloud. The book still rocked: partied like it's 670 AD.
Rosslyn
Good quick read but not as historically informative as previous ones I have read.
Frances Fuller
Twenty down, three to go. Pretty predictable in its plot, but a few intesting twists.
Libby
Not Tremayne's best mystery. I solved this one quickly, but the setting is fascinating.
Vespertine
Not the best in the series but still very pleasant.
Tequila
Awesome, as always. Love Sister Fidelma!
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. Under Peter Tremayne,...more
More about Peter Tremayne...
Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1) Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2) The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4) Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3) Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)