Start by marking “What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor” as Want to Read:
What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor

What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor

What is a wiseman? What is a prophet?

Someone with a strange, unflappable demeanor. Someone who speaks in cryptic koans, words whose meanings take years to unravel. Someone who has confronted death, God, sin, and the immortal soul. Someone unfit for this world, but too brilliant to depart it. Someone--in short--like Keith Richards.

Here, at last, the wisdom of this indefatig
Published May 5th 2009 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Would Keith Richards Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would Keith Richards Do?

Some Are Sicker Than Others by Andrew SeawardGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksCrank by Ellen HopkinsA Million Little Pieces by James FreyEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott Stevens
Substance Abuse & Addiction
403rd out of 559 books — 1,227 voters
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsCatch-22 by Joseph HellerLamb by Christopher MooreA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Best Humor Writing
344th out of 558 books — 665 voters

More lists with this book...

Marvin
Jan 23, 2012 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Here's the best thing in this book...

Keith Richards' Mum's Shepherd's Pie Recipe

3 pounds potatoes, "Tumbling Diced"
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
2 large carrots, grated
1 12-ounce can beef stock
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Place potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer until tender. Drain. Using electric mixer or whisk, mash potatoes and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat large skill
Steve Bennett
Jan 24, 2012 Steve Bennett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Um, this book was not very good. The author really just lifted a bunch of quotes from Keith's recent book and various Keith interviews and interspersed them under different headings. Come on Jessica, you got to put more effort into it than that. The book is highly recommended to people who are looking to reach their 2012 goals for a certain number of books to read because you can read this in one night, while watching America's Funniest Videos.
Angelica Melendez
Jul 23, 2009 Angelica Melendez rated it really liked it
Richards is like Pooh, he just is.
Jeremy
Jun 09, 2009 Jeremy rated it liked it
Elvis dead, Hendrix dead, Lennon dead, Cobain dead, Keith Richards still alive! His words: "I will write all of your epitaphs" prophesy, just like he had witnessed the extinction of rock dinosaurs, that he will still be here after all the American Idols and the flavor of the months of today are gone. "I'm timeless now, I'm beyond time," he says. One thing's for sure, as this book will show you, Keith Richards has survived the perils of rock stardom and has come away unscathed and the more wiser ...more
Cheryl
Aug 27, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Most entertaining and amusing chapter was on keith and philosophy, pitting keith against the greats and then the greats on keith. Overall a good read. Don't be fooled though as the majority of this book is composed of quotes from interviews over the years and organized into categories e.g. keith on art or on regret.
Israel
Aug 22, 2014 Israel rated it it was ok
Es una gran idea para una lectura rápida pero nunca alcanza la altura de su premisa.

Al principio muestra algún sentido al relacionar citas o pensamientos de Keith con las de filósofos y grandes pensadores:

"The hardest victory is over self" - Aristoteles

"I'm here today because i have taken the trouble to find out who i am" - Keith

"If a man neglects education, he walks lame to the end of his life" - Platón

"Nobody stops growing, otherwise there's no point in doing the trip in the first place" - Kei
Bebe
May 12, 2010 Bebe rated it really liked it
Being a Stones fan might make me a bit prejudice, but the book is fun.
Steve
Nov 05, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

One of the funniest books you will ever read
Alexandra
Jun 24, 2009 Alexandra marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
this sounds like fun!
Ladiibbug
Sep 04, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Only The Most Rabid Keith Richards Fans
Being a huge Rolling Stones & Keith Richards fan for decades, I was expecting alot more. Keith is known for his irreverent outlook, biting sarcasm, and outrageous quotes.

This book seemingly gathered the tamest, most ho-hum quotes, with the exception of maybe ten that lived up to Keith Richard-isms.

The author made an interesting comparison between a series of Keith quotes and statements, alongside a series of historical philosophers (Nietzsche, Plato, Aristotle, etc.), which showed remarkable
Stacey
Jan 12, 2015 Stacey rated it did not like it
Thought this was going to be so much more fun than it was. After reading Keith's book I expected a lot more from this. I know it's unauthorized and really unaffiliated with Keith, but I just expected more. The first 40 pages or so are ok and kind of interesting, but the rest of it is pretty repetitive. And if you've read Keith's book, you really don't have to read the last 50 pages or so because it's all information that you already read in more detail.
Couldn't read it fast enough.
Tank Girl
May 18, 2011 Tank Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, non-fiction, humor
As a fun little 'pick me up where you left off' book this is very much worth it. The little snippets of mostly humorous content, quotes and the bullet point Trouble Timeline makes an easy 5-10 minute boredom read.
I would not recommend reading this book straight from cover to cover as I think it might send you reeling with information overload, but if you are a habitual toilet reader or you just want something smooth to read during your coffee break then this book is perfect.

As for the content: T
Deborah Wilbrink
Jan 13, 2015 Deborah Wilbrink rated it really liked it
A very fun concept book that takes quotes from this Stone and categorizes them into a Philosophical day book!
Mary
Dec 25, 2014 Mary added it
nook
Lkziua
Jul 16, 2009 Lkziua rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this book. It really makes you understand why Keith Richards lasted so long. It also underscores so much self-help stuff that relates to attitude, humor, knowing yourself, etc. Plus, the guy is hysterical. Really funny. It's so understandable why Richards was voted THE most fan-obsessed Living rock star (even more than Jagger!) :)
Donnie Corrêa
Oct 28, 2011 Donnie Corrêa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keith is one of my personal heroes. A friend moved to London for a while and brought me back a copy of this book when he returned, and I just loved it. Keithism is a way of life that leads to wisdom, creativity and survival - or to severe alcohol poisoning.

Keith is a legend and an example to all, mostly to our currently misguided "Z" Generation.
Liam
Judging from her name, photograph, and author's note, Ms. West is undoubtedly British. I am a fucking Irishman, and even I know that the name of the R.A.F.'s most famous ace fighter pilot was Sir Douglas Bader, not "Douglas Gader"...
Marshall
Jun 28, 2013 Marshall rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this read. Definitely some solid advice on how to live your life. It isn't a book to just pick up and read, rather one that you enjoy for 5-10 minutes here and there.
Janitag
Jan 15, 2012 Janitag rated it really liked it
Really funny and well written. I found myself giggling out loud from time to time. Keith Richards is such a charming character.

Overall a good read for Stones fans!

Gay Terry
Feb 29, 2012 Gay Terry rated it really liked it
Got it on a whim at a kindle sale andI thought it would be pretty mindless, but it turns out Keith is quite a philosopher. The timeline of episodes of his life is astounding.
Mary Ann
Jul 17, 2012 Mary Ann rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable, quick read. Simple, no-nonsense advice on how to life well. Read it, it will make you smile and remind you of some important life lessons!
Zycroft
Feb 25, 2012 Zycroft rated it liked it
Enjoyable little read that you can set down and come back to whenever you like. There's no need to read it in any order and it's fun and funny throughout.
Cyndie Todd
Aug 05, 2011 Cyndie Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun read. I enjoyed getting to know Keith Richards better. Anybody can benefit from knowing Keith Richards a little better.
Lisa
A great idea; you're bound to have far more fun using taking Keef as your inspiration than someone like, for example, Jesus.
Glorianne Roccanova
Feb 25, 2015 Glorianne Roccanova rated it it was amazing
nothing that you didn't know before, but great stuff.....i like to read different precertions of the same idea.....
Jul 18, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Very interesting! At times the author sounded like an obsessed teenage girl, but pretty good overall.
Erik
Sep 14, 2013 Erik rated it it was ok
Though this sounded like such a great idea for a light, quick read, it never really lived up to its promise.
Duane
Jan 08, 2012 Duane rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
part faux-philosophy, part quotable Keith, plus a brief bio/history
Rosie
Dec 14, 2011 Rosie rated it it was amazing
loved it!

for the Rolling Stone fan...:)
Lola
May 20, 2009 Lola rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book. My friend recently wrote it!
  • S.T.P.: A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones
  • According to the Rolling Stones
  • The Stones
  • Revoltingly Young: The Journals of Nick Twisp's Younger Brother
  • Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin: The Illustrated History of the Heaviest Band of All Time
  • Jimmy Page: Magus, Musician, Man: An Unauthorized Biography
  • Hendrix: Setting The Record Straight
  • Eyes: Poetry, 1967-1971
  • Nothing Nice to Say

“Keith Richards on change—"It's gotta go up and down. Otherwise, you won't know the difference. It would be just a bland, straight line, like lookin' at a heart machine. And when that straight line happens, baby, you're dead.” 0 likes