Start by marking “The Blue Day” as Want to Read:
The Blue Day

The Blue Day

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
Once a year, in the blueness of early morning, before the sun has risen, all the dolls come to life and have adventures. Translated by Gwen Marsh, illustrated by Margery Gill.
hardcover, 44 pages
Published 1958 by Abelard-Schuman

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Day

Miriam
Aug 22, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: younger
The Blue Day is a holiday for abandoned dolls. A fairy gives them wishes, but only for the day. Mieke, our attic-dwelling protagonist, wishes to spend the day playing with a Real Live Baby, and does.

That's about it. There are some other details, birds talk to her, the baby is for some reason in an Arabian-Nights-ish palace in a faraway land with camels. Then she goes home and is sad some more.

I've never really understood the point of this sentient-toys subgenre where the main point is the lone
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book enchanted me when I was little. I just loved the idea of a day when the dolls came to life, and, after I read the book, that early pre-sunrise blueness always held an air of mystery and magic to me. Highly recommended!
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Mirela
Mirela marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Chantal
Chantal marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Mollie Cass
Mollie Cass marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2009
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2009
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 04, 2009
Lisa Vegan
Lisa Vegan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2009
René Guillot was an author who lived, worked and traveled in French Africa and wrote primarily for children. His works have been translated to many languages and have been included in school required reading in many countries.

After studying science, René Guillot moved to Senegal to work as a teacher, spending over 20 years in Africa. Most of the material for his many books comes from this time.

In
More about René Guillot...