Start by marking “A Grande Caçada (A Roda do Tempo, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Grande Caçada (A Roda do Tempo, #2)

A Grande Caçada (The Wheel of Time #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  149,127 Ratings  ·  2,433 Reviews
Segundo volume da série A Roda do Tempo.
Esta é a continuação da viagem fascinante pelo mundo inventado por Robert Jordan. Um épico em todos os sentidos.
Capa Mole, 738 pages
Published 2007 by Bertrand (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about A Grande Caçada, please sign up.

R. Michael Fox The author was an admitted freemason and there is quite a lot out there on allusions to it in the series, including use of its symbols. I'm fairly…moreThe author was an admitted freemason and there is quite a lot out there on allusions to it in the series, including use of its symbols. I'm fairly ignorant of freemasonry, but at least that much is discussed in all the biographical information you can find on the author and the series.(less)

Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
2/1/16: Day 1 of WoT #2 buddy (re)read in BB&B !

We're only reading one book per month, so if you want to jump in, you've got plenty of time to squeeze in The Eye of the World and still participate.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank y
Markus
“And it shall come to pass that what man made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide...
Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gna
Bookworm Sean
Jan 17, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was nowhere near as good as the first novel in the series; it completely lacked the initial plot driver that its predecessor wielded. Previously, the innocent, and young, protagonists were taken away from their home as they were forced to flee for their lives. I wanted to find out exactly why this was going on; thus, I stormed through it. Instead, this premise of this book is Rand attempting to escape from his destiny, which, of course, is pure folly because one does not escape fate: one do ...more
Alex
Jan 16, 2009 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, if the first book in this series diminished somewhat outside the cozy light of memory, this second book absolutely withers away. The plot is listless, its tension flagging between points that are only interesting by comparison. And the characters refuse to evolve. That is, they are all still hung up on the same issues they had at the beginning of the first book, even though they've been through fairly earth-shattering experiences in the intervening pages. I mean, why is Nynaeve still schem ...more
Evgeny
Oct 31, 2013 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in the series, some people complain there are some influences of J.R.R. Tolkien in the first book; this book is where Robert Jordan found his own voice.

For the first time in centuries The Great Hunt is called; its purpose is to find the legendary Horn of Valere which calls the greatest heroes of all times to the battle yet again. Countless number of people wander around looking for it. Rand and company know exactly where the Horn is, but they might have trouble reaching it. It d
Jess ✮ J-Rex The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ Nynaeve ♥
This was a wonderful installment in what I can already see is going to become one of my favourite series of all time.

I had a much better experience with this one than the first book; I only read seven other books in the time it took me to get through this, compared with the twenty-six I went through in my adventure to get through the first book.

No spoilers – because I know a bunch of you are yet to experience the wonder of this and I don’t want to ruin anything for you.

Character run down:

Rand
Vagner Stefanello
Dec 29, 2015 Vagner Stefanello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, physical, 2015
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Contém alguns spoilers do livro anterior.

E não é que tudo pode mudar de um livro para outro? Eu não tinha gostado muito de O Olho do Mundo, mas A Grande Caçada superou muito as expectativas. Li essa sequência por insistência de muitos amigos leitores e também por ter percebido, na obra anterior, que a série do Jordan tinha um bom futuro, mesmo que no 1º livro tudo tenha sido feito de um modo que eu acabei não gostando tanto, cheio de passagens que que
Ryan
Oct 30, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a tough decision I think fantasy writers face: What requires detail and what will the reader's imagination run with?

Another view: Do you trust your readers to be able to fill in the details?

Someone -- I think Neil Gaiman -- once said that Gene Wolfe's writing makes his readers feel smarter. It's because Wolfe trusts his readers to pay attention and to fill in the blanks.

How do "The Wheel of Time" books hold up to this approach?

It's a little inconsistent.

When it comes to winds, cultural tr
Kaila
The tone of the series really changes with this second installment. It goes from following a few country bumpkins on their first wide-eyed adventure into the world, to what we know and love the Wheel of Time for - a sprawling epic covering an entire continent. From the prologue, we're suddenly bombarded with the styles and personalities of all the diverse regions of the land, and though it will be hammered home so we always know what Jordan is talking about, we're also expected to start remember ...more
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
Jonathan

And so concludes my first re-read of the second book of The Wheel of Time which I rate as my greatest epic fantasy series read to date. Although if The Malazan Book of the Fallen continues as the first book has promised it might be right up there as well. Of course nothing beats The Lord of the Rings as my favourite epic fantasy novel/and tied favourite novel but that's a different story. As seen in my review of the first book The Eye of the World I love how it's such a sprawling organic world.
JAIME
I really feel like Mr Jordan hits his stride with this book. Compared to Book 1 (The Eye of the World) this story feels more effortless - like he wasn't just connecting specific events together anymore - the entire story was an event.

Needs more Lan.

Maybe not quite 5 stars, because, too many characters. Close enough though. I'll try to do an actual review, but, life.
Angela
Dec 16, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think this series, so far, is presenting me with the hardest time I've ever had writing my reviews. I want to talk, and all that seems to be ready to come out is: "OMG! IT'S AMAZING!!!! READ IT NOW!!!!! I CAN'T STOP!!!!!!

I resorted to bullet points in my last review, and I'm not even sure that can help this time. So bear with me while I spew out whatever I can manage to get out. If you haven't started this series, just go to my review of The Eye of the World and GO START THIS AMAZING SERIES.

Th
Tanner
Jul 13, 2015 Tanner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Great Hunt is the second book in the Wheel of Time series. And once again personally I found myself enjoying this book.

For starters. If you did not enjoy the first one. I do not think you will enjoy this one. Because it's much of the same.

Once again the main character you follow is Rand. And personally I enjoyed his story line during this book. You also follow Perrin/Mat once again. You also get to read from the vileness which was one of my favorite parts of the story.

I did have a few pro
Georgia Johnston
DO NOT READ THIS BOOK, the first one is good, you will be fooled but it's a looooong series that follows and all the little things that start to grate on you snowball until they drive you crazy and you realize you have wasted days on a series you can never finish without blowing your brains out. Genders are horribly typecast - the women are all horribly bad tempered, impatient and all henpecking know-it-all's (one can't help thinking that the author's wife must be a nightmare to have left him ne ...more
Brandi
Jan 11, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, male-lead
I'm not writing a review for this either, but here's a few notes:

1) I can't wrap my head around the imagination, and dedication, required for this series.

2) Matt is pissing me off so much that I almost want him to die. What does he not understand about keeping his mouth shut about certain things? He makes me want to punch him almost every time he's on screen.

3) I thought it would really annoy me if there wasn't resolution to the main conflict, but it turns out that the building of the story is
Letha
Jul 23, 2007 Letha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Diehards
This book, which I read to pass on key scenes for calendar illustration concepts to my graphic designer partner, was a somewhat enjoyable but fairly frustrating read. For several significant reasons the book never really hits a truly connected stride with it's reader, and I ended it on a ambivalent note --- not really satisfied, not really disappointed, knowing I will likely forget the book within a few weeks of having read it.

There are too many main characters, and our main man (Rand), though
Veronica Morfi
Feb 11, 2015 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5/5

I can't believe I finished this one. It took forever but I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to start the next one.

No full review will come because that will take me forever too. ;)
Dirk Grobbelaar
Aug 11, 2011 Dirk Grobbelaar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
After all the criticism that has been levelled at this series, I approached it with a measure of trepidation. I must say, so far, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. This is a fun high fantasy romp through a splendidly conceived world.

Admittedly, this is only book two, but I fail to see what some people are so negative about. It really isn’t bad at all. In fact, I’m finding it rather to my liking. Robert Jordan would probably not have raked in awards for literary achievement, and I don’t think that
Allison
It's so hard to write a good review of this book. There's so much going on, and this is already much more complex than the first in the series. It is no longer a 'flight' narrative, and so there is not as much to compare to the Lord of the Rings anymore. It really takes off in its own direction from this point onward.

The main focus in the first book was the danger of being chased by myrddraal, trollocs, and darkfriends. Now the wider world is opening up, and there are new dangers and challenges
Robin (Bridge Four)
And the Wheel turns. New Month, new WoT book to read with my fantasy FANatics at Buddies Books and Baubles
Antonio
Aug 30, 2015 Antonio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

La rueda del tiempo gira y la historia ha de continuar, La gran caza o el despertar de los héroes (depende de la edición) comienza justo donde termina El ojo del mundo, el cuerno de la leyenda parece estar a salvo y todos nuestros personajes se encuentran en la quietud de Fal Dara, pero todo cambia cuando el cuerno es robado, junto con la daga de Mat, ahora los personajes toman distintos caminos. Así Rand, Mat, Perrin y Loial junto con una compañía de guerreros irán en pos del cuerno de la leyen
Stefan S. Krstic
Serijal kojem ću se teško vratiti. Za deset... ne, za dvadeset godina, kada moj nivo tolerancije ne bude imao osećaj kao da mu neko svojim pritiskom urušava zidove, ili ako usled sveopšte bezidejnosti nastane globalna suša u svetu epske fantastike - možda ću se vratiti serijalu.
Dakle - nema šanse.

Dve knjige i 1500 strana i ja i dalje čitam o Randu čiji se unutrašnji monolog uglavnom sastoji od: "Mrzim Aes Sedai" i "Neću koristiti moć" - a pritom to Džordan naglašava svakom trećom rečenicom - ta
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jan 31, 2016 Cathy (cathepsut) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy lovers
Re-reading in February 2016. Review will follow.

*~*~*
Original review from December 2003:

As good as the first one. Rand finally has to face the fact that he is the Dragon Reborn... It still feels as if I am reading an updated version of Tolkien, but it is entertaining enough to not bother me too much. I don't know if I will last until book 10, but after putting this one down, I nearly started the third one right away. If you like Fantasy, try this! It's fun and it keeps going and going and going.
Dux
Sep 02, 2015 Dux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
*As per usual, I write this review immediately after having read said book*
*Also, since this is the second book in the series, I will write on how it continues and develops the series as a whole as well as how it stands on its own*

So the Great Hunt, the second installment of the Wheel of Time series. It has become surprisingly apparent to me how many chords this series has been striking with me. It may be relating on a more personal note, but I have always desired to write an epic fantasy and I
Matt Brady
Part 3 of my Wheel of Time reread, aka The Part Where I Notice That The Men Sure Do “Finger” Their Weapons A Lot.

So. I’m well into my reread of the entire Wheel of Time series that I decided to do for reasons that are vague even to me. Like last time, I’m just going to kinda ramble a bit, from the perspective of someone who has already read these books. Spoilers ahead.

I really don’t remember much about The Great Hunt at all. If I had to summarise it, it would go something like; it starts in Shie
logankstewart
Aug 24, 2011 logankstewart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Desperate Traditional Fantasy Lovers
Second Review (August 2011)
I first attempted The Great Hunt a year ago, and I threw it aside with contempt and loathing. The second time I dove back into Robert Jordan's enormous world, I appreciated it a bit more.

The Great Hunt picks up shortly after The Eye of the World. The Horn of Valere has been stolen, along with the evil dagger that's slowly killing Mat. Rand and the gang set out to retrieve the items, and adventure follows. Meanwhile, the girls (Egwene, Nynaeve, et al.) are all becoming
Eon ♒Edgedancer♒ & part-time Warder ☯
WoT re-read continues over @ Buddies Books and Baubles because Robert Jordan is the man.

Let's go!

Ivan
Jun 09, 2015 Ivan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I am done with second book and I am stil not entirely sure what to think about Wheel of time.Series isn't bad enough to quit but I am not sure I like it enough to continue.
Character interactions are fun, it reminds me lot of Belgariad but slightly less fun, also every character annoyed me at some point except for those that are annoying all the time(hi Nynaeve).
World of wheel of time is interesting but nowhere near as interesting as Roshar,Middle-earth,Earthsea, Amber and whatever world of Kingk
Marijana Sitar
Jan 21, 2016 Marijana Sitar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Iako sam planirala da nakon drugog dela napravim malu pauzu i pročitam neki triler, jednostavno ne mogu. Treći deo kao da me nekom nevidljivom niti vuče da ga uzmem u ruke i čitam.

U pokušaju da se odbranim, grabim knjigu kao da je poslednja na čitavom svetu i sa osmehom na licu okrećem prvu stranicu.

"Točak vremena se okreće i Doba dolaze i prolaze, ostavljajući za sobom sećanja..."
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)
  • The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • Angel Fire East (Word & Void, #3)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

“Better to have one woman on your side than ten men.” 260 likes
“Women often seemed to leave things unsaid, and in his limited experience it was what they did not say that proved the most trouble.” 148 likes