Start by marking “Picture Perfect” as Want to Read:
Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  41,218 Ratings  ·  2,295 Reviews
A woman is found in a Los Angeles graveyard, unable to remember anything about herself or her life. No one is more surprised than she when, days later, her husband comes to the police station to take her home - and turns out to be Hollywood's leading superstar, Alex Rivers.
Published November 2nd 2009 by Not Avail (first published March 21st 1995)

Merelyn
Jan 13, 2008 Merelyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alas, I always tout Picoult as an authur of "good reads" but this one is BADD....It can be compared to the paperback grocery store "bodice-busters". The story idea is OK, but the writing is? ? ? Where was the editor? The only good part was when the Native Americans were in the read. Don't go for this one. Sorry Ms. Picoult.
Lira
Jun 27, 2007 Lira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was absolutely my favourite of jodi picoult's, something opposite from the other readers. even though the indian folklore were pretty boring, the exposure of marital physical abuse is more than real. it may be a "perfect fairy tale" type of story, but maybe that's because i'm one of those younger readers.
Stacey
Oct 12, 2008 Stacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not even my worse enemy
This was, by far, the WORST book I ever read. Like many, I have this stupid rule about finishing every book I start, otherwise I would have put this book down after the first chapter. I had a hard time getting into the previous Jodi Picoult book I read but after I got into it I enjoyed it. I kept thinking to myself, maybe the next chapter will be better--it never was.
The story line was extremely slow and in the beginning bounced back and forth between present day with Cassie's amnesia to her pat
Sara
Sep 06, 2011 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Marilyn, (my mom)
Shelves: audiobook
Xeyra
Apr 09, 2008 Xeyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I finished this book a few days ago. As every Jodi Picoult book I've read, I couldn't help but feel immersed in the story, unable to put it down for most of the time, wanting to read just one more chapter so I could learn what was happening or had happened to certain characters. It was the first book by this author I've read that had no lawyer or courthouse events, which was a bit of a breath of fresh air, but it did touch on a delicate situation: abuse and violence, a subject matter that's trul ...more
Maria
May 24, 2016 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Mais uma vez Jodi Picoult aborda um tema pesado e com cenas chocantes que tem feito aumentar a já enorme legião de fãs.
Em Ilusão Perfeita a autora conta-nos a história de Cassie uma antropóloga inteligente, que trabalha para a UCLA, e de Alex Rivers, um conceituado actor de Hollywood, lindo de morrer, o sonho de qualquer mulher.
Pelo meio conhecemos também o seio da comunidade dos índios Sioux, uma comunidade fechada, mas deslumbrante.
Quando, ainda amnésica que lhe dizem que é casada com o famoso
Ct Lanop
Oct 15, 2011 Ct Lanop rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I typically love Jodi Picoult novels but this one was a huge let down. She typically focuses on relevant topics and is able to capture the details of everyday life along with the real emotions her characters are dealing with; but Picture Perfect was nothing but a bad romance novel. Her portrayal of the wife battering is shallow and unrealistic. The little that she touches on Native American issues is interesting, but again, there's no real substance to anything in this novel.

I have chosen Jodi
Britta
Jan 26, 2008 Britta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Before you decide what you want to be,... know where you want to be."

"[He] let himself fall into her, grasping at her words and the electric feel of her skin against his. He did not know what to say to her; He never knew what to say... He wished he'd learned long ago how to put into words the feeling that if she was gone, if she ever left, he would cease to exist."

"...the sky overhead was the color blue the world had been invented for."

"His eyes started slowly at the hairline and traveled down
Laurel Osterkamp
Picture Perfect, by Jodi Picoult, tells the story of Cassie, an anthropologist who’s married to the famous Alex Rivers, a movie star as talented as Daniel Day Lewis, as desired as George Clooney, and as handsome as both of those guys put together. However, things are not as great as they seem, because soon Alex begins to beat Cassie. Of course, there are reasons why he beats her (he suffered abuse as a child, his parents never loved him) and reasons why she puts up with it (she had an alcoholic ...more
Linda
Some popular writers can be relied upon to produce consistently good (or bad) quality fiction, and other cannot. Jodi Picoult falls into the latter category. While most of her novels that I've read have been compelling, topical and intelligent, Salem Falls and Picture Perfect could not be more cliched. Picture Perfect tells of the marriage between an anthropologist and America's most popular matinee idol. The book opens during the immediate aftermath of an unspecified incident that leaves the wi ...more
Jill
Sep 29, 2009 Jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LindyLouMac
The fifth Picoult novel I have read and certainly not the best. It was first published in 1995 so I assume one of her early ones. I think that her writing has improved a lot since the, as this lacks the depth of her more recent novels.

Even back then she was already writing in what appears to have become her trademark style about very controversial subjects. In this one the protagonist Cassie is the victim of abuse at the hands of her beloved husband Alex. It takes her the four years that this s
Lesley
Well the author got that part about women always go back, make excuses etc when it comes to domestic violence. This is one of her earlier books and I can kind of tell by her writing (I think she has improved with time)The indian folklore stories were a different!
Makella
Jul 27, 2016 Makella rated it liked it
oh picture perfect; there are so many reasons why I wanted to give this book a better rating, but I just couldn't do it for the following reasons; the book was a drag. although intricate descriptions and background knowledge is appreciative in trying to develop more of an insight into the characters you are reading about, there was just so much of it in this book, which consequently made it rather tedious to read. as a result, I just didn't get that feeling resonated within other Picoult books, ...more
Ajla
Aug 05, 2016 Ajla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5*

I guess I have a thing for stories where a woman is found somewhere without any memories on who she is, how she got there or who her husband is.

This was a pretty good read and I especially appreciated Jodi Picoult's writing.
Autumn♥♥☽
Feb 08, 2016 Autumn♥♥☽ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I now realize that I got this one mixed up with Perfect Match. Some people use the word perfect too much for me.
Suzanne
Mar 06, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book did not hold my attention, the native Indian stories were interesting but did not seem to really fit.
Deborah
So...A little slow to start in my opinion. It was a good book and I liked the ending. It was a different type of book by Picoult, with no courtroom scenes. This was my 8th Picoult novel and the first I've read with no courtroom drama. The story is very well developed and the characters, even Alex, are easily sympathized with. While I have never in an abusive relationship as portrayed in this book, I imagine this is very close to real life. I used to wonder why women would stay in such blatently ...more
Leah Kautz
I have only read a few Jodi Picoult books but they never cease to please me. This was a thrift store score that I hadn't heard of and didn't know what it was about, and it did a great job keeping me guessing.

The story centers on Cassie and Alex, an intelligent but naive anthropology professor and a Hollywood star, and their "fairy tale" love and marriage. They seem perfect and say they are "made for each other" but in reality have a troubled and abusive relationship that no one would believe if
Patty
May 20, 2009 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisoryreading
Carrie
Jul 19, 2014 Carrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was initially intrigued by this story: amnesia, a suspicious situation involving a movie star, a hot cop... but what I was left with was a main character who defined herself by the men in her life. I couldn't empathize with her as she rebounded between men while leaving a strong and rewarding career on the sidelines. It was painful to get through. Not my favorite.
Jeanie
Sep 23, 2014 Jeanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I unload, dump and explode, I will say I love Picoult’s style of writing. She does it right. She has her characters running from something or running to something. She has contrast and she has irony. Her characters Cassie, Alex and Will are well developed and they will be the characters you will love to hate or love to love.

Cassie is our typical Picoult Martyr- she survived her childhood including the killing of best friend Connor who was killed by his abusive father. She is laid back an
Stephanie
Jan 26, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book's theme focuses on domestic abuse and what fuels the mental and emotional gears of it. In this book we're introduced to Cassie, a noted anthropologist whose married to Alex Rivers, a well-known and loved actor. From the outside their relationship seems "picture perfect" but as we delve into Cassie's memories we learn the disturbing, sad truth.

Jodi Picoult does an awesome job of evenly portraying both sides of this dysfunctional relationship. She showed how a sweet, unloved little boy g
Writing Goddess
May 10, 2013 Writing Goddess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picture Perfect is an older book (1995) and some of the details that worked then are dated now, Everyone would have a cellphone, for instance, making it much harder to disappear, and the airport scenes would be very different, post 9-11.

Nonetheless, the book blew me away. I was not expecting it to be a story about dysfunctional families, true love, and domestic violence (with a bit of native American mythos woven in as well).

Cassie Barrett begins the book with amnesia. (Yeah, I know, that premis
Mafi
Apr 20, 2012 Mafi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, pt
Primeiro que tudo: a sinopse engana um bocado, pois oculta o verdadeiro tema do livro, a violência doméstica e não é um livro em que o principal seja a procura da identidade de Cassie.

Ilusão perfeita conta-nos a história de Cassei Barrett, uma antropóloga realizada que certo dia acorda num cemitério e não sabe quem é. Mal descobre que é casada com a maior estrela de Hollywood nem consegue acreditar na sua sorte. Mas o rico e actor Alex Rivers não é o marido perfeito que toda a gente pensa que é.
Chiara
May 30, 2012 Chiara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had so many problems with this book. It really upset me that that Jodi Piccoult took the very intense subject matter of domestic violence and set it up through such an unrealistic premise. I mean, c’mon, how many A-list celebrities do you know that fall in love with plain-Jane anthropologists and then go on to win oscars for best actor, best director, and best picture all at once (btw, this has never been done before). It made it really difficult for an average girl like me to relate to Cassi ...more
Dana
Dec 15, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie is found with no memory in a graveyard by Will, a half breed. As she slowly recovers her memory Cassie discovers she is a physical anthropologist and married to Alex Rivers, the movie star every female is in love with. Her life is not picture perfect, Cassie and Alex love each other but Alex is filled with rage and frequently it is directed towards her.

Their life from initial meeting to present day is told. Cassie has been suffering abuse a long time. Will she have the strength to leave a
Dora Santos Marques
A minha opinião em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4KMI...

Que desilusão! Tenho tido experiências tão boas com a Jodi Picoult e este livro nem parece escrito pela autora. Parece um "romance de cordel", tão diferente dos outros temas com bastante investigação por trás...
Fiquei mesmo triste...
Lois Duncan
Books by Jodi Picoult are almost always an easy, entertaining read. My problem with them is that she seems to feel compelled to make them MORE than that by injecting a dose of something she considers educational so the book will have "depth." In this case, it was life on a Navajo reservation. I lived a long time in the Southwest, and I do not believe that an unmarried, white, pregnant female would be accepted so quickly by the Navajo community and become so respected and beloved in a matter of a ...more
Alcy_girl
This book was not like others of Jodi's. I think that is what I like about her, nothing is ever the same, she is not predictable in her style of writing.
In this one, I really wondered where the ending was going as I know that Jodi sometimes puts in little twists. I was almost expecting the worst! It was a satisfactory ending though.
The only thing that bugged me about the book was the second part of the story being told to someone else, not the actual events as in the first part. It was a little
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Picture Perfect- Ashlin Tanner 1 2 Mar 10, 2016 07:41PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 17, 2015 12:15PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult 1 18 Apr 21, 2015 11:43AM
Picture perfect 10 129 Feb 16, 2013 05:31PM
Jodi Picoult Book...: Picture Perfect 3 51 Feb 04, 2013 08:02PM
Open discussion of the theme of the book Domestic Violence 5 40 Dec 30, 2012 02:31PM
  • Novels by Jodi Picoult
  • When Lightning Strikes
  • Secrets She Left Behind (Before the Storm #2)
  • Eden Close
  • The Secret Between Us
  • The Edge of Winter
  • Goodnight, Beautiful
  • The Breakdown Lane
  • Things I Want My Daughters to Know
  • Pieces of My Sister's Life
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-three novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, SMALL GREAT THINGS, is available in hardcover, ebook, and aud
More about Jodi Picoult...

“Torn between fear and something that resembled love, she wrestled with questions she never dreamed she would face: How could she leave? Then again, how could she stay?” 147 likes
“There are millions of people in the world, and the spirits will see that most of them you never have to meet. But there are one or two you are tied to, and the spirits will cross you back and forth, threading so many knots until they catch and you finally get it right.” 133 likes