Start by marking “George: The Poor Little Rich Boy Who Built the Yankee Empire” as Want to Read:
George: The Poor Little Rich Boy Who Built the Yankee Empire

George: The Poor Little Rich Boy Who Built the Yankee Empire

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The biography of one of the most controversial figures in sports: New York Yankees owner George SteinbrennerFor 34 years, he berated his players and tormented Yankees managers and employees. He played fast and loose with the rules, and twice could have gone to jail. He was banned from baseball for life—but was allowed back in the game. Yet George Steinbrenner also built th ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George

Kevin
This book didn't surprise me. I knew George came from a privileged background but the little things like how he really had a split personality...between being extremely generous with his time and money and also very mean spirited and spiteful.....

Towards the end of the book I felt the writer Peter Golenbock was trying elicit the readers sympathy for Gorge, which definitely didn't work for me.

Who knows maybe his disposition in the past was a sign of things to come with his health in the future.
B
Golenbock did everything but write a biography. He interviewed sources and organized their answers but never synthesized the material in a valuable way. Golenbock makes assertions that seem spurious at best and his baseball analysis which I can judge is way off.ii
Nate Regan
Good story about a colorful character, but I've never read a published book with as many obvious errors as this one. The continuous mistakes detract from the writing, and they actually seem to become more frequent as the book goes on.
Tim Dunn
Not a bad book, but sometimes got bogged down in boring details....on the bright side it neither favoured nor seemed to be directly opposed to George Steinbrenner....fair read.
Big League Manager
Wow, what a portrait! I always say that biographers either love or hate their subject; there is no in-between. Goldenbock pulls no punches... I loved this book!
Ken
Interesting reading, a little long winded in the information about his shipping business, I wasn't really interested in that. Good stories about my favorite era of Yankee players, the late 70s. Nice analogy by the author on how having his character on Seinfled really humanized him in the eyes of fans. A little long, but good book.
Evan Halpine
Evan Halpine is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2014
Arvind
Arvind marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Jackchristopherhill
Jackchristopherhill marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2012
Teammates Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers Wrigleyville: A Magical History Tour of the Chicago Cubs 7: The Mickey Mantle Novel Dynasty