Wizard's Bane (Wiz, #1)

Wizard's Bane (Wiz #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,234 ratings  ·  56 reviews
What Wiz Zumalt could do with computers was magic on Earth. Then, one day the master computer hacker is called to a different world to help fight an evil known as the Black League. Suddenly, the Wiz finds himself in a place governed by magic--and in league with a red-headed witch who despises him.
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published February 1st 1989 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Wizard's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard's Bane

Evgeny
What do software development and wizardry have in common? Read and find out.

The Black League (the bad guys) is slowly but surely winning over the Wizards Council (the good guys) and there seems to be no hope until the mightiest of the wizards came up with an idea which might help their cause. He summoned a very competent computer programmer called William I. Zumwalt (Wiz) straight from his Silicon Valley company office. The wizard took a great risk doing it and got killed for his troubles, but n...more
Mars
"qdr: Название фильма на торрент трекере: Сеть / The net (Ирвин Уинклер)[1995, Триллер, комедия для сисадминов, DVDRip]" (c) http://bash.org.ru/quote/403883

This particular series is about a programmer who gets summoned to an alternate dimention where magic works and computers don't. He quickly goes mad and He has some fun adventures.

It would probably have been much more fun if a) I didn't know anything about computers, or b) the author actually did some research more in-depth than asking a geeky...more
Librivore
This is what happens when a computer programmer and D&D player attempts to write a book. The result is not pretty.

The first few pages are interesting enough and the use of actual programming jargon is a refreshing change of pace (most writers who attempt this tend to have no idea what they are talking about. Rick Cook obviously does). Unfortunately, that's all the book has to offer.

The premise is interesting enough but never comes to life. The characters are completely one-dimensional, the d...more
Eko Prasetyo
Interesting concept! Making operating system for the power of magics! What an idea!
Really, you need to read this to believe it!
Donna
This is the story of Wiz, a computer programmer who gets summoned to a world of magic. The wizard who summoned him died in the process so no one is really sure what he's supposed to be doing. The book took way too long setting up the story but once the real action started, it was much better. I really liked the throwing of spells as computer commands even though it never actually made sense to me. It was a quick, fun read though it didn't have a lot of substance to it.
Bryan457
This is one of my all time favorites. It combines 3 story elements that I really like. fantasy & magic, a modern day person ripped out of their time and place, computer programming. Programming magic like its a computer, I love it.
Ron
Great concept, adequate story telling. Pop corn for the brain--and I mean that in the kind sense.

Maybe not worth four stars, but definitely more than three.

A fun read.
Sean Randall
This is one of the most amazing books I consumed in my teenage years, and having reread it (for at least the fifth time) to write these few thoughts I still find it wonderfully captivating. It's available online for free so you've got no excuse not to go check it out!

So, the story: in a world of myth and magic, the Dark League "waxes strong to make chaos of what little order there is in the World" whereas our heroes of the North try to keep things safe.

"the question a responsible magician must f...more
Charlie
This book is really nerdy, silly, and fun.

It's not written very well. The plotting is clumsy. The way magic works in this world and how it can be literally programmed is so unbelievable that you have to immediately accept it as a convention of the story before you even start reading it. If you don't, there is no point in even picking up this book.

However, if you can accept this silly story convention, and you are a geek that knows about computer programming, you will find this book rather amusin...more
Skyler
The idea of (view spoiler) is a novel one, and definitely has got me thinking about magic systems in a different way, but unfortunately that is the only thing I really took away from this book.
The magic system in a way broke down for me due to (view spoiler)...more
John
I enjoyed this book. The concept of a computer programmer applying his skills to a magical reality was neat and original. The plot moved along at a good clip and the main characters were likeable, so you cared what happened and rooted them on. Normally, I would probably have given this book 4 stars, good and enjoyable, but not enough of a wow factor to rank five.

But...(you knew it was coming, of course) there were a couple things that nagged at me enough that I had to dink the book down one sta...more
Dayl Thomas
Good book. A little slow going, but it makes the attempt to imagine what someone from the "real" world would do in a land of magic and fantasy and it succeeds. Most of the action takes place in the final third of the book, which to me was the best part. It has its moments of humor, but stays pretty melancholy in the character's realistic actions. You really feel for the main character as an outcast and are happy with his eventual triumph.
The author spends a lot of time on detail, from sights a...more
Silent_count
I found this book at Baen Free Library.

The basic story is of a computer programmer, 'the Wiz' (groan), who finds himself in a transported to a medieval fantasy world ruled by wizards and witches. Unlike the natives who consider each spell a separate and unrelated 'trick', Wiz soon discovers that his systematic, programmer's approach facilitates his understanding of magic. Of course there's the requisite love interest and the laughably bad villain.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you I enjoyed this on...more
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
What a strange, yet intriguing read.

This is a very unique and interesting take on the whole Epic Fantasy genre. Without wanting to spoil anything, the book brilliantly blends together Fantasy (men and elves and dragons and what have you) with modern-day computer programming. Something that I, before reading this book, thought could and SHOULD never come together in any one place. There's something just so inherently wrong about seeing the word "computer" in a medieval-times Fantasy novel, and ye...more
Hannah
Wizard's Bane is a decent read, perfect for when you have a spare moment and nothing else to do. The flaws outweighed the fun parts of the book for me, however. The characters are pretty unsympathetic, and the only one I even vaguely liked was Wiz, because his floundering about in the alternate world was amusing. Moira was beyond annoying, as was just about every other character in the book. Was being a complete snob part of that new world? Because no one there seemed to understand the idea that...more
Scott Vout
This was one reccommended by the Goodreads site based on my previous reviews.

It ended much better then it started and i would rate it 3.5 if i could.

A story about Wiz, a computer programmer from our time that is summoned to a fantasy realm where he learns to cast spells by writing them as computer programs. A unique twist that i rather enjoyed.

This being the first book in the series there was a lot of "get to know ya" stuff which i really found tedious - not sure why - but i did. But once the he...more
Mark Brinkman
I loved this -- It is a combination fish-out-of-water story combined with a tale that turns a relative nobody into hero. Add to that mixing computer programming with casting spells? A delightful tale that I've read several times. A computer programmer from Earth is transported to an atypical Fantasy world supposedly to save it -- but he has NO idea how to work magic when he gets there. But things change quickly.

Granted I'm chiefly a science fiction fan, and a systems programmer, so I'm something...more
Leisuresuitlarry
Good enough for a quick distraction but rough at times. The first half is a long, generic chase scene, and there's a story within a story that doesn't contribute anything at all to the larger narrative. At around 55-60% through it gets interesting and the whole point for Wiz being there finally starts to get some action. Even in the last half there are some asides to the main action that do nothing to advance the story and just took me out of it. I might check out the sequel, but only because it...more
geoffrey
Basic premise: a computer programmer is mistakenly (?) summoned into a world where magic exists and permeates all. He must depend on magic to survive or even have a chance of returning home, but possesses no innate magical ability. There are no "magic words" that would allow him to perform magic. Despite being assured by powerful magicians that he will never be capable of harnessing magic, he develops a "programming language" that allows him eventually to defeat malevolent wizards. I read this a...more
Chad
A fun to read fluff piece.
Jon Ringstad
I know what you're thinking: "2 stars? This book has to suck!" But you're wrong! It's fun, but maybe not good. On my scale, 2 stars means you need to be into that sort of thing, and if you do you're going to enjoy it.

These books are all about a computer programmer who's transported to another world, one where magic works like programming. Thus he becomes a powerful wizard. Stuff happens along the way, adversity and triumph, but all the programmer-come-wizard stuff is all you need to know to deci...more
Tom Whalley
What dumb fuckin' fun. It's about a programmer called "Wiz" who gets summoned to a world of wizards torn apart by wizardry only to find the wizard who wizarded him there has been murdered by other wizards. He then is forced to use his programming skills to develop a new kind of wizardless magic, in order to save all the wizards. Also, this is the first book in a series called Wizardry.

It's the dumbest fucking book I've read but the payoff just started to make me have a real guffaw-y face.
Tripp
I loved these books in high school --- the premise is an American computer programmer gets pulled into a fantasy world. His programming knowledge helps him become a master wizard, as the magic of that world works like coding. The 1st 2 books are available on the Baen Free Library (http://www.baen.com/library/) if you wanna check them out at no cost. They were fun, kind of making fun of nerd culture and fantasy novels. Of course, I read them as a teenager, so they may be awful now.
Kevin
This is one of my all time favorite series. This is a book I highly recommend because of its great use of humor, action and hint of romance. I did a complete video review of it HERE. And followed it up with an examination of the series as a whole in two parts. Here and for part two Here
James
Interesting premise. A programmer enters a world of magic and proceeds to create magic based software with which he uses to create large scale magics. Unfortunately, execution is a little bit off. The way magic works is hand waved away, and the basic building blocks of the magic software aren't properly explained. In the end, its magic system is more Earthsea than Mistborn.
Kim
Hmm, I'm a bit confused. Maybe its because I read this on the back of the Simon Hawke books, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and this isn't as humorous, I don't know. I liked it though, well I must've as I didn't move until I'd finished it. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should read the second one in the series .. but probably will!
Teresa Carrigan
Fantasy for computer geeks. Main character is a systems programmer who gets transported to a world without computers that does have magic. Obviously he is upset about not having any computers, and he doesn't even have any magical talent. But he's a hacker. What does a hacker DO in such a situation? Hack the system!
James
It was a little strange mixing 80s computer programming with a fantasy series but it was a fun read. I wouldn't recommend this series unless you also have a geeky love of coding because, honestly, beyond that quirk it's not really that good. Still, it gave me a smile. I may continue the series, but not right away.
Geoffrey
This started slow - I wasn't sure there was going to be a plot until I hit about 60% through ... then, suddenly, WHAM! plot plot plot and more plot. It was suddenly fun and exciting.

I love the magic system based on computer programming - a cool blend.

I'm definitely reading the next book.
Gautam Surath
Conceptually this one showed a lot of promise. The idea is pretty different from anything I have read in the past. However, it was a let down In execution. The premise did not hold together in the explanation of fusion between machine code and magic. In the end a very average teen fantasy
  • The Sea Hag
  • Digital Knight
  • Mother of Demons
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)
  • Doc Sidhe
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • A Logic Named Joe
  • Rats, Bats & Vats (The Rats and the Bats, #1)
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Oathbound Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #2)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Warp Speed (Warp Speed #1)
  • Werehunter
Rick Cook is a journalist, computer hacker, and fantasy author best known for his "Wiz" series of books. Since his hospitalization in 2000 he has not resumed fiction writing.

More about Rick Cook...
The Wizardry Compiled (Wiz, #2) The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4) The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3) The Wizardry Quested (Wiz, #5) The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)