Start by marking “Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew, #51)” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew, #51)

Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew #51)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,745 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
A fiery glowing eye in a museum, the abduction of Ned, the code name Cyclops, and a pilotless helicopter draw Nancy and her friends into a dangerous investigation.

---
From book cover:
When Nancy Drew eagerly agrees to help her lawyer father solve the mystery of the glowing eye, she has no way of knowing that it will involve the kidnapping of her close friend Ned Nickerson.

A
Published January 1st 1993 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Glowing Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Glowing Eye

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
42nd out of 79 books — 78 voters
The Host by Stephenie Meyer1984 by George OrwellUglies by Scott WesterfeldNumbers by Rachel WardSpecials by Scott Westerfeld
Eye of the Beholder
148th out of 426 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
Sep 25, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Danger and intrigue haunt Nancy Drew in this thrilling addition to the book series.
Melanie
Nancy seems a lot less mature in this one than in the other ones. Less of a put-together woman and more of an infantilized teenager. She randomly stares into space a lot, I guess from all the concussions, though she hasn't lost consciousness in three books.

In the first chapter a pilotless^ helicopter crashes in Nancy's yard. From it Nancy discovers that Ned Nickerson has been kidnapped (after sussing out a "lost textile process*," natch). Also some 24-year-old attorney proposes to Carson Drew.

Na
Pam
Oct 26, 2011 Pam rated it liked it
This Nancy Drew was published in 1974. If it had existed and I had read it in 1970. I would have given it 4 stars. I enjoyed this book for all the reasons I enjoyed Nancy as a kid-Nancy's independence, persistence in pursuing the clues to a nice tidy mystery ending. (and I'm still envious of her roadster) Nancy investigates a strange eye shaped glowing light in a museum and the kidnapping of Ned. The coincidences of all the clues leading to ending of these mysteries bugged me a lot as a huge Nan ...more
Jul 31, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Chris.m
Feb 05, 2014 Chris.m rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew: Mystery of the Glowing Eye was a really great book I loved it a lot, it is about a girl named Nancy Drew who is on a mystery to find her friend Ned Nickerson who suposedly was kidnapped by someone or something called the cyclops. Nancy and her friends Beth and George try to go and uncover the mysterious case of the glowing eye which Nancy thinks that the cyclops and the mystery of the glowing eye are all connected some how and she needs to know why and try to save her friend Ned from ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is the 51st book in the series, dated 1974.

The main characters are Nancy, her friends Bess and George (both female), Ned, a friend of hers, and Marty King, an assistant to Nancy's father.

Nancy's concerned that Marty will try to take a certain case away from her. Meanwhile, Ned has been kidnapped, so that's one problem. Another is when a helicopter lands on their front lawn. There's also a mysterious note, 'Beware of the Cyclops.'

There's a glowing red eye at a certain museum, and the woman
Carol
Mar 06, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
Another enjoyable (if completely unbelievable) Nancy Drew book. I think that this one tops it for incredible situations, with Ned Nickerson kidnapper (the police almost completely inactive on this very serious crime), and all kinds of crazy inventions with electricity. I'm no science major, but the the science in this one is pretty farfetched. Still, great fun. New developments also with the trio and their boyfriends (lots of on-campus fun). The original books were written before women generally ...more
Sarah Bliss
Jul 15, 2014 Sarah Bliss rated it liked it
I'm giving this 3 stars for quality of writing, but I would give it 5 for the nostalgic joy it gave me. My friend found it in the lake cabin we were renting, and I was SO HAPPY. It took me right back to childhood summers with Mom's old books and whatever I could get my hands on at the public library. Loved it.

The plot itself was startlingly dated, relying heavily on the newest technologies of 1974. The language, too, was very much of that era, as were the gender roles. (I always thought of Nancy
Violet
Doesn't this cover creep you out?
Jannine
May 21, 2012 Jannine rated it it was amazing
first book i ever read!
Flora
Mar 01, 2012 Flora rated it it was amazing
Peppo read.
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mystery of the Glowing Eye is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 51st book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends explore the Anderson Museum at Emerson College to solve the kidnapping of Ned Nickerson. And a fiery glowing eye in the museum, the code name Cyclops, and a pilotless helicopter draw them further into the dangerous investigation.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trip
Tabi34
Dec 15, 2013 Tabi34 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best of the Nancy Drew series. When I give it a five - it's based on the others in the series.

Ned has been kidnapped and Nancy is hot on the trail to find him. Unfortunately, she just misses the kidnapper on occasion. This is the first book where we see some true emotion from Nancy. I think the character has finally evolved to more of a real person instead of girl wonder with an endless supply of money and time. She worries over Ned. Ned should be happy - it's the first time
Lily Horton
Aug 30, 2015 Lily Horton rated it it was ok
Shelves: nancy-drew
Margretchin Chantal
Nov 18, 2015 Margretchin Chantal rated it liked it
It was ok My niece thought it was excellent. It starts out with a helicopter in the yard. Ned has been kidnapped. Cyclops. Burt and Dave are missing. 1923s pennies. There was an explosion in the file cabinet Marty King is trying to horn in. KYKXO. Secret message. Prisoner of the red-haired nut. Cabin filled with electronic-lab equipment. Danger; blasting ahead. Pinned to the wall. Diary. Gruesome pictures. Ned's invention. Case solved. If you like science fiction, UFOs or stuff like that. It mig ...more
LuAnn
Jul 10, 2014 LuAnn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book--it wasn't as goofy as I had remembered it. The kidnapping of someone Nancy cared about and Nancy's jealousy over her dad's new researcher brought some emotion to it that is usually lacking, though I wasn't impressed with Nancy's workaholism to avoid those emotions. Nancy and her dad's inability to find time to communicate was different and the mystery and sleuthing were fairly good.
Katie
Jan 18, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
A fun mystery that I am glad I read. The only thing I didn't like was how easy it was to guess who did it in the book. Overall a fun read.
Sydney
May 20, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best nancy drew books i've ever read.
Julie
Jan 07, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
One of the better Nancy Drew books.
Jessica Cleveland
May 20, 2014 Jessica Cleveland rated it it was amazing
By far my favorite Nancy Drew book!
Sherry Wheeler
Apr 25, 2015 Lila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
my daughter's book.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Sep 01, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Not my favorite Nancy Drew. The mystery was a bit too all over the place.
Angel Leo
I read so many Nancy Drew books in middle school that I forget how many and which ones, but this one I do remember because of the eye on the cover. It was so creepy and cool. I loved the old books. Read some of the new ones as well. I remember receiving this one in the mail from the library. Our library used to send books that you put on hold to you in the mail. I loved it because it was like getting a gift.
Ivy
Jan 28, 2010 Ivy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books-read
Nancy Drew is the reason that I read mysteries in the first place. I have always liked them and am enjoying reading the ones that I have missed over the years. They are very well written and easy to follow. I do at times wish she had a cell phone but then I remember that a lot of these books were written before cell phones were such a big part of our lives.
Elizabeth Cribb
May 22, 2013 Elizabeth Cribb rated it liked it
I read and gave reviews of all the books I'd won, and out of reading material, I found this book I'd read in grade school. Back then I read everything by Carolyn Keene the library had. It really brought back memories of characters long forgotten. Then I would have given it 5 stars; now as an adult it gets a three.
Brandy Kemper
Jan 01, 2014 Brandy Kemper rated it really liked it
Another surprisingly well written ND mystery. A lot more emotion in this book which I like. This story about Ned's kidnapping was intriguing and their reunion at the end was very sweet. I couldn't wait to finish it!
Pinkflower
Aug 22, 2012 Pinkflower rated it it was amazing
I love almost all the Nancy Drew series (mostly because I've never read some of them) and I started reading them in fifth grade. "Mystery of the Glowing Eye" was one of the first Nancy Drew books I ever read, and I thought it was amazing! If you like Mystery/Crime books you'll love this book. SO READ IT!
  • The Mystery of the Blinking Eye
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Hidden Harbor Mystery (Hardy Boys, #14)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)