Start by marking “The Clue of the Dancing Puppet (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #39)” as Want to Read:
The Clue of the Dancing Puppet (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #39)

The Clue of the Dancing Puppet (Nancy Drew #39)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,859 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
At the Van Pelt estate, home of a local acting troupe called the Footlighters; a mysterious dancing puppet haunts the grounds. From the moment Nancy, Bess and George arrive at the mansion, the dancing puppet mystery is further complicated by the Footlighters’ temperamental leading lady and a Shakespearean actor. Nancy’s search of the mansion’s dark, musty attic for clues t ...more
Published 1962 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Clue of the Dancing Puppet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue of the Dancing Puppet

Shannon
Jan 24, 2010 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1993
HAS THERE EVER BEEN A CREEPIER COVER THAN THIS?!
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Shannon
Apr 13, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 2012
I was cleaning and I stumbled upon a bunch of these Nancy Drew books. My mom and grandma used to buy them for me each trip to Half Price way back in the day and I remember being super obessed with this series. Unfortunately, I had to throw like half of the ones I found away because they were mildewy. NEVER LEAVE BOOKS IN A CRAWLSPACE FOR 8+ YEARS! It's not a good idea!! The Clue of the Dancing Puppet was a fun read. I don't think it was the best Nancy Drew book I've ever read, but it wasn't horr ...more
Alexis Jade
Feb 23, 2010 Alexis Jade rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
I was going through some of things when I discovered this worn out book that I read when I was in 3'rd grade. I skimmed through it and remembered it immediately. A clear thing I remember about this is that I remember my copy was from a library, but I lost it and was so freaked out. Turns out the librarian didn't even care for this book (Can you believe it?) and just ignored that I lost it, and went on with her life. Some book lover.

On to the point, I also remember this book a lot. The plot, char
Alex Howard
Shhh... Not too old to read this... It's another lovely gentle old fashioned mystery where nobody gets hurt (too badly), and it does exactly what you think it will. In some ways, it's a bit like Scooby Doo without Shaggy & Scooby and where Fred is a girl - the same wholesome image with the assurance that the baddies will be caught. One small clue - it's not Old Man Withers...
Mikayla
Aug 01, 2016 Mikayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew, mystry
I picked this up wanting a cute, light read that I knew I would enjoy. I've read it three or four times before, so there wasn't many surprises, but its always fun for me to re-read old favorites. Nancy Drew never fails to entertain me, and make me love her more.
Cathy
May 24, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it
When I first started reading novels, it was the mystery novels I adored the most, especially Nancy Drew.

For some reason, the eeriness of this book stood out in my memory, and I found myself in the bookstore buying a copy of it recently.... and I still enjoyed it!
Christine Arvinth
Feb 11, 2017 Christine Arvinth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nancydrew
Nancy Drew is going to be part of a play first as a backstage crew to the leading lady !. Anyway her real reason for going there is to solve a mystery . Every night there is this strange puppet in a ballerina costume dancing in the front lawn . Will Nancy find out why? to find out read the book.
Meaghan Steeves
Nov 14, 2016 Meaghan Steeves rated it it was amazing
There was so much food discussed in this one I loved it, it was just like I remembered it :D
04KarleeM
Dec 14, 2012 04KarleeM rated it liked it
The book “Nancy Drew and The Clue Of The Dancing Puppet” , with 177 pages , written in 1990 by Carolyn Keen is intended for older kids from ages ten to fourteen . The main problem in “ The clue of the dancing puppet “ is that every night a mysterious puppet comes out and dances in the backyard of “ The Footlighter’s “ theater . Along with this strange phantom are numerous jewelry thefts. Nancy Drew, a clever, daring amateur sleuth. Who always thinks ahead, and her two closest friends Bess and G ...more
Ashlee Telschow
Sep 04, 2011 Ashlee Telschow rated it liked it
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 Phe rated it really liked it
The Clue of the Dancing Puppet is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 39th book in the Nancy Drew series.

When the eerie performances of a life-size puppet begin to haunt the old Van Pelt estate, eighteen-year-old Nancy Drew is asked to help an amateur acting group rid themselves of the ghostly dancer. But when Nancy searches the attic of the old mansion, she learns that someone is trying to keep her from solving the case. Will Nancy and her friends be able to solve the m
Tabi34
Apr 06, 2013 Tabi34 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
This book took me forever to finish. In fact, I read another book before I finished this one. I just couldn't get interested in the convoluted story line that meandered all over the place.

I still find it interesting that the books are written with such a high level of vocabulary. I'm sure today's girls don't know half of the big words and worse still...just skip over them because they don't care.

This book reinforced my opinion that Nancy is playing fast and loose with Ned Nickerson's affection
Veronica Erb
Apr 05, 2016 Veronica Erb rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read piles of Nancy Drew books (possibly this one, too!) when I was young. I believe this is the first I have read since I stopped reading them, but I suppose there might have been one thrown in there.

There were some uses of the word "girl" that were a little annoying, but mostly, it was a fun diversion. I found it really interesting when Nancy's "attractive"ness was brought up. In one instance, she's asking questions of people she hasn't met before, and the narration claims that no one minded
Melanie
The word "reducing" appears somewhere that the word "auditioning" or "rehearsing" should appear, like "been reducing to get a part in a play." However, it's in reference to Bess, so maybe "reducing" is the correct word. (There is some hideous fat-shaming in this book; Bess watches TV in order to skip dessert, once a dessert is substituted with a healthier one, and at another time she reaches into the fridge and grabs a jar of mayonnaise, to the immediate derision of George and Nancy.)

There's ver
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This story concerns an amateur theater group called the Footlighters that Bess is in. George has been involved in tennis tournaments. Mr. Drew has a client which is involved with the theater at the Van Pelt Estate.

There's a problem with some kind of dancing puppet that appears and then disappears, so Nancy and George go to the estate to join the Footlighters and Bess and try to find out what is going on.

There's a nasty character named Tammi who is an actress and opposed to the girls joining, an
Dharia Scarab
Feb 25, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Sonia
Sep 12, 2014 Sonia rated it liked it
I would recommend this book to a friend because it has alot of detail and the kind of genre the book is mystery.It has lots of characters,mystery's for example there are charters like Nancy,Mr.Spencer,Etc.The main idea of this story is to find a dancing puppet and that people are complaining there seeing a dancing puppet on their stage.In the story somone almost gets hit by a car so thats wat made me most interested in the book.When
i finished the booki wanted it to have a second part because i
Kendall
Jan 23, 2013 Kendall rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a decent nancy Drew book, but I enjoy the ones more where she gets to travel and this one is set in her home state. Plot is about an actor who found a journal that talked about a secret that would make someone a lot of money. He told the girl he loved. She told her brother who told his friends who ran a two man jewelry theft ring. So on top of being jewelry thieves they look for the secret treasure on the side and use mechanical puppets to try to scare away the inhabitants of the home. t ...more
Luisa
Apr 30, 2013 Luisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew, 2013
LuAnn
Nov 17, 2013 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
My favorite Nancy Drew mystery, written the year of my birth. I love the setting: a large turn-of-the-century house on a tree-shaded road outside of River Heights owned by the amateur theatre company, the Footlighters, who perform in the barn. A country restaurant down the road in an old colonial building with entertainment and dancing, elegant people and jewel thieves. And puppets, including a life-sized one that dances across the lawn at night! As a child, I was fascinated by puppets. Nancy, B ...more
Alexis
Jan 03, 2012 Alexis rated it really liked it
This is a particular Nancy Drew book that stands out to me. I remember I got it from our school's library in third grade, and fell in love almost immediately. One memory that stands clearly out in my mind is when I lost my copy from the library and went absolutely crazy and searched all around the house for it. I was so upset because I was afraid I'd get in trouble and get yelled at so I was driven to the point of tears, but come to find out I'd just left my book on the porch swing.

This one scar
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Kristin
Oct 12, 2010 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: lauren-read
Lauren is loving Nancy Drew - this is our 3rd in 3 weeks!!!

Even though these novels are dated and wordy, Lauren is enjoying them (just like Brent and Joe liked the Hardy Boys.) There is something settling about knowing that Nancy will get the bad guy, solve the mystery and have a fab date with her dashing beau Ned!!
Alex Grant
Aug 18, 2013 Alex Grant rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing.
Nancy gets invited to stay at The Van Pelt estate,to solve a mystery about a dancing puppet. The dancing puppet appears on the lawn of the estate,and appears almost every night.
How Nancy,Bess,George and their friends solve the mystery of the dancing puppet amazes all readers.
The clue of the dancing puppet will keep readers engrossed until the last page.
Jean
Nov 03, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it
I have always loved this series, so when a play titled "Nancy Drew, Girl Detective" was put on locally, I jumped at the chance to go. The play was based on this book's mystery. The talented Miss Drew shines (as always) at anything she turns her hand to. This mystery stands the test of time and help my adult attention.
Ak
May 19, 2014 Ak rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew got me into reading. I have to say that Nancy Drew holds a special place in my heart. The mystery, the suspense, all of it just makes you want more! This book, I think i've read it about a million times, I loved it. So, I have to give credit to Carolyn Keene, she did an AMAZING job creating the Nancy Drew world!!
Judy
Jun 01, 2013 Judy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Nancy Drew
Sadly, the house writers who wrote under the name Carolyn Keene didn't get adequate editorial help. The plot is unbelievable and the characters mostly flat. Fortunately, the writer had a sense of humor--one of the characters, an actor who speaks in Shakespearian quotations, is called "Cally old boy." That is the one redeeming feature of an otherwise forgettable book.
Tyler
Feb 14, 2010 Tyler rated it really liked it
This is my absolute favorite Nancy Drew/mystery novel ever.
I read it when I was in grammar school as I went through my all-mysteries phase and I still love it. Carolyn Keene's novels are going to be passed down from generation to generation forever.
Nikki N.
Sep 27, 2010 Nikki N. rated it really liked it
i personally loved this book because of all the exciting details and things that happened in the book. i love nancy drew because you may think that you know who the criminal is, but then something exciting happens that throws you off course.
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery Off Old Telegraph Road (Trixie Belden, #20)
  • The Secret of Skull Mountain (Hardy Boys, #27)
  • The Haunted Dollhouse (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #3)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)