Start by marking “The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #30).” as Want to Read:
The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #30).

The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #30). (Nancy Drew #30)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  4,286 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
A masquerade party quickly turns into a mystery when Nancy and Ned spy an enigmatic man in a black cloak and an exotic woman in a glittering Javanese costume. Are they members of the gang of wily thieves who sneak into parties hosted by wealthy citizens to rob jewels and painting treasures? Why is the owner of the black velvet hooded mask Ned found during the party despera ...more
Hardcover, Revised text, 177 pages
Published 1969 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1953)

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #30).

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
What a scary Nancy Drew novel, as she and her boyfriend Ned are witnesses to a crime. The cover always freaked me out on this book.
Maureen
Jun 29, 2014 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Guys, I think it's so fantastic that my 30th book of the year--the one that means I hit my 2014 reading challenge (and will probably slaughter it by the end of the year, I'd hope)--is a freaking Nancy Drew mystery of all things. Oh unknowable world, you are delightful.

Listen: I read the shit out of the Nancy Drew catalog when I was younger, and I don't regret that for a second. America's Sweetheart detective, along with Laura Ingalls Wilder and whoever the hell wrote Misty of Chincoteague basica
Tabi34
Apr 30, 2013 Tabi34 added it
Shelves: nancy-drew
This was one of the better stories so far, except that George falls apart. I guess she isn't so tough after all. No sign of Burt or Dave in this book, but Ned shows up now and then to get beat up by the bad guys.
As with all Keene novels, the plot line gets a bit convoluted and there are always several bad guys and gals involved so it is sometimes hard to keep them all straight and remember who is doing what and how they fit in.

Someone (or in this case a gang) is robbing homes of wealthy people
Alex
The villain in this book couldn't have been more obvious if he was twirling the ends of a handlebar mustache and cackling manically, yet only Nancy Drew can figure out he's bad news. Sounds about right.

Seriously, you couldn't pay me enough to live in River Heights. People are drugged and kidnapped pretty much every week, and the cops are absolutely useless. What are they going to do if Nancy moves away?!
Berneen
Jul 30, 2008 Berneen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I also have the entire Alice series. I love Alice and her friends Bess and Marion. I read every single one when I was younger.
Those where the first books I actually read...I start right from the start with la Bibliotheque verte and then I was reading both French classics, litterature jeunesse or international classics...
Donna
Jun 24, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Read for Golden Vintage Mystery Bingo -- read a book from the year you were born: 1953.

Actually not a bad mystery, but I thought the identity of the ringleader was so obvious.
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 Phe rated it really liked it
The Clue of the Velvet Mask is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 30th book in the Nancy Drew series.

When Nancy attends a masquerade party at the Hendrick estate, she discovers a stranger attempting to climb the rose trellis to the second story of the house. Who is this enigmatic man in the black cloak, and why is he so determined to retrieve the black velvet hooded mask? Is he a member of the gang of wily thieves who sneak into parties given by wealthy people and steal
Paige intheBooks
Feb 17, 2016 Paige intheBooks rated it really liked it
Laney
Nov 09, 2013 Laney rated it liked it
Shelves: 13-25
This book had me in hysterics. Not because it was so, so funny ... no. It was definitely because of the sweet cliched Nancy Drew-isms that were extremely prevalent in this book. I love Nancy Drew because it is soooo idealistic. As an 18 year old myself, I do not think that I would be itching to run after criminals that have threatened to hurt me, but you know ... Nancy always finds a good and convenient way to get out of whatever situation she is in. This book was a fun read. Very, very predicta ...more
thewestchestarian
Jan 22, 2014 thewestchestarian rated it liked it
Well, technically "The Clue in the Velvet Mask", right? Anyway, Nancy and her chums investigate a series of robberies perpetrated at fancy masquerade parties. The story unfolds very much according to the Nancy Drew formula with Nancy getting close to the robbers early but not discovering this until late in the book. As usual Nancy takes the case to defend the innocent and stays one step of the local constabulary. Late in the story, Nancy, Bess and George do get into a fist fight with the baddi ...more
Seema ♥Nerdgirl♥
Well... I've got to admit, it wasn't that good. Some parts were so confusing it was frustrating to try to understand, which meant I kept going back to the previous page to try to get what was really going on and read the same paragraph again to try to understand. Also, I was forcing myself to finish it off. Glad I finally finished it! I hate to force myself to finish a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew book, but this ND book was just so boring! I mean, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. It was ...more
Jessi
Jun 30, 2010 Jessi rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood, mystery
Nancy's at it again. This time she accidentally picks up the wrong mask at a masquerade party and falls into the mystery of a group of jewel thieves. Along the way, she helps a friend keep a job and also manages to get George Frayne kidnapped which turns George into a fearful shell of her former self (which doesn't seem in keeping with George's character, even if she was threatened). Of course, Nancy keeps her wits together and even after she and Bess are also taken, manages to use a piece of me ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Olivia
Mar 03, 2014 Olivia rated it really liked it
This is an interesting ND book. There have been a chain of robberies occurring during parties in River Heights. Nancys friend is suspected so Nancy goes undercover as a coatroom attendant to do some sleuthing. The reason this is interesting is because Nancy is working at a few parties when robberies take place and she picks up no clues. Also Nancy goes to a costume party dressed up as a Spanish senorita. Her costume consists of items that had belonged to her mother. One of the few times her moth ...more
Melanie
Zillionaires with priceless art and jewels have masquerade balls in their mansions and don't require anyone to show an invitation to enter. What could possibly go wrong? Oh, how about a band of thieves targeting all the balls and no one changes procedure until Nancy gets involved.

George pretends to be Nancy and gets chloroformed and kidnapped and becomes morose until nearly the end of the story. Nancy and Bess are later bound and gagged and abducted which snaps George out of her moroseness.
Margretchin (Author)
Nov 02, 2015 Margretchin (Author) rated it really liked it
Lots of things happening here. It starts off with a masquerade party. Who's the strange man in the black cloak? Follow that green Sedan. Lost invitation or is it? The Earl of Contrey or is he? Death threat. Eavesdropper at the window. Kidnapped. Let's get rid of the babe and scram! Give up the case or else! Lights out and a robbery is in progress. What's going on at the Blue Iris Inn? Who ambushed me? Locked in the cellar. Hauled out to a delivery truck and locked inside. We'll put Nancy on ice ...more
Lisa
Apr 01, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Another piece in the ongoing puzzle of Nancy Drew and her historical context. She's always ahead of her time, but still of her time, so I both respect her and find her historically fascinating. The books are formulaic and dated (hence the three-star rating) yet also charming, engaging, and edifying. And she's been a smart, tough girl since the 1930s, so I gotta love that. I intend to keep collecting them when I can find them for cheap.
Brianna C.
Nov 11, 2010 Brianna C. rated it really liked it
I thought that this Nancy Drew book was good. I liked all the suspense that it presented. Nancy would always nose around and try to get information about people. She liked to put herself in harms way. Sometimes she would turn out to be fine. It turns out that she was kidnapped; after looking around an old inn that the man who was part of the Velvet Gang, owned. Over all it was not the best book I have read but it was pretty close.
Madalyn Walker
Mar 15, 2015 Madalyn Walker rated it it was amazing
This by far is one of the ghost writers best novels yet. While reading this book, I could seem to put it down. Nancy, an armature detective, finds her self involved in another mystery as she encounters ferocious robbers, planning major thefts. This book contains 177 pages filled with mystery, thrills, and fun. This book could have used a little more push toward the ending, but how it ended was just fine. I really enjoy reading Carolyn Keene novels and I hope to read some more soon!
Ayana Myles
Oct 03, 2012 Ayana Myles rated it it was amazing
Although I only read this book once I remember what it's mainly about... Nancy Drew was doing some detective work at a party where they were expecting a robbery and the only clue left behind after the robbery was a velvet mask worn by one of the thieves she then investigated the brand on the mask and there her mystery begins.............. it is very interesting... I really love this book
Seashelli
Sep 16, 2012 Seashelli rated it really liked it
I grew up on Nancy Drew and still collect the books for fun. I read the original text of this book...I tend to like the original texts better then the revised..more descriptive and more chapters! This book was classic Nancy with crazy thieves and danger. Plus plenty of antics with Bess and George.
Elle G
Oct 11, 2010 Elle G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I enjoy reading detective fiction. Nancy Drew books have a good plot line. They sometimes get confusing because there are so many characters. Carolyn Keene is a great author. She gives a lot of details that can make you feel like you are in the book. I am going to give this book five stars!
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, children
In this story Nancy helps one of her friends clear her name of any mistrust when she becomes involved with a series of burglaries while organising parties.
I enjoyed this story because of that as well as the trouble Nancy had to go through, as well as George, in getting evidence against the villainous Velvet Gang.
T. Green
Durning this book Nancy is at a party and suddenly the lights go out. When the lights get turned back one the couples house the party is has gottten robbed. Some important jewels get stole, Nancy decided to take on the case. However it is more dangerous than Nacny thinks, George gets kiddnapped, and there is face-to-face gang contact! So if you really like mysterys you will like this!
Brandi Rae
A bit convoluted towards the end (or I might have just been really, really tired). Not my favorite, but at least she wasn't magically, at exactly the right time, a stunt horse riding, ski jumping, ice skating marvel!
Mandie Compagner
Nov 19, 2014 Mandie Compagner rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. There were a lot of parts where the characters were in danger, and that made me want to keep reading. There were a few parts in the book where it got boring and not a lot happened.
Michelle
May 29, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
It's been at least 15 years since I've read a Nancy Drew book, they had a good collection of them at the B&B my boyfriend and I stayed at last weekend and it was so nice to visit with Nancy, Bess and George and Ned again.
P.S. Winn
Nov 20, 2016 P.S. Winn rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew always takes readers into a mystery, with a masquerade ball you can imagine all the mysteries she is going to uncover. Lots of people who have something to hide and loads of fun and mystery.
Clare
Nov 16, 2008 Clare rated it really liked it
this one is pretty scary
Kaitlyn
Nov 18, 2011 Kaitlyn rated it did not like it
I personally did not like this book.
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Crisscross Shadow (Hardy Boys, #32)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)