Start by marking “The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #27)

The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew #27)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,944 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Adventure abounds on the Bonny Scot in Boston Harbor as Nancy helps Captain Easterly uncover the mystery of his ghostly visitors. From the moment, the clever young detective and her friends, Bess and George, stay on the old clipper ship they are confronted with fire, theft, unseen trespassers and other dangers. Nancy faces an additional challenge: to find a clue to the cli ...more
Hardcover, Revised text, 176 pages
Published 1967 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Wooden Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Wooden Lady

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
39th out of 79 books — 79 voters
The Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Red Gate Farm by Carolyn KeeneNancy's Mysterious Letter by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Clue in the Diary by Carolyn Keene
Everything Nancy Drew
39th out of 140 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
Mar 16, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
This is not the format I read; mine is the original text book and the updated one shown may have a different story. That being said, I haven't read this book since I was a pre-teen. I read it now in preparation for a convention I'm attending. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I got into the mystery.

Nancy and her friends, Bess and George, accompany Mr. Drew to Boston where a sea captain living on an old clipper ship has been bothered by prowlers. I loved all the old history about the cli
Kit Dunsmore
Jan 16, 2010 Kit Dunsmore rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
When I was a kid, I loved Nancy Drew. But it's been so long since I read one that I decided to see what they are really like (rather than go on what I remember them being like). I don't think I ever read this particular mystery before, but I did recognize lots of the details because they are same from book to book.

My impression: things happen FAST. Minimal descriptions, lots of lucky guessing on Nancy's part, and lots of stray "clues" that are sometimes really unlikely. I think when I was younge
Matthew
Apr 03, 2015 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I recently reread this book after moving my book collection out of my mother's house. I read it probably many times as a child although I was really a fan of The Boxcar Children. And rereading this... it seems to make sense why.

This felt much more dated than The Boxcar Children. The attitudes toward women felt more sexist. These were older women than the characters in The Boxcar Children, but the women felt more delicate, even though they were the... heroes. They seemed to be very poor role mode
John Yelverton
Sep 23, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
The Nancy Drew mystery book series wins again with this great, thrilling mystery story.
Melanie
In the book before this one, George suddenly started saying "Hypers!" as an expletive or interjection. If she doesn't stop it, I'm going to quit reading because it is driving me CRAZY.

The girls are helping some guy on a ship, and he thinks the ship is haunted, but really it's full of thieves. One thief is pretty much a patsy though. And this one has decent suspense (are police ANYWHERE competent? They let the "dangerous criminal" return to the scene of the crime like 8 times and never catch him,
Madalyn Walker
Oct 03, 2014 Madalyn Walker rated it it was amazing
This is number 27 in the Nancy Drew series. In this adventure, this is mystery and suspense makes you want to continue reading. Carolyn Keene has out done herself once again. The text is about an eight-teen-year-old detective who will go to any lengths to find to bandit. Many readers would appreciate this book because of the amazing grammer that is found on every page. If I were you I would buy this book.
Lucy
Oct 04, 2014 Lucy rated it it was amazing
I love reading Nancy Drew occasionally!

Ayanami Faerudo
May 06, 2015 Ayanami Faerudo rated it it was ok
I am aware that the author, Carolyn Keene, is just a pseudonym for a number of writers who wrote book in the Nancy Drew series. If you read the books from the beginning till the later books (the original one to sixty-four ones), you could discern the level of intricacy of the mysteries that Nancy and the gang encounter as well as how the characters were written.

Now, there are basic characteristics that the writers falls on when it comes to Nancy, George and Bess. Nancy is a smart/detective/Mary
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is a review of the 27th book in the Nancy Drew Mystery series, and refers to the 1967 revised text.

Nancy's father is called to try to clear up the ownership of a boat so a Captain Easterly can buy it. It's a very difficult problem, though, and, meanwhile, strange things have been happening on the boat. Someone has been going through the boat, trashing the rooms, looking for something.

Nancy works with Bess and George and, for a short time, with Ned and his friends, to try to find out who is
Greta
Jun 01, 2013 Greta rated it it was amazing
High marks for imagery. There seemed to be something iconic about the wooden lady that brought this one to a higher level.
Redfox5
Nancy Drew would be pretty old now. Like in her 50s or 60s, I'm not so good at maths. I wonder if they ever did any books about her adult life. I wonder if she ever did become a detective?

Read this years ago and I liked it more now. It started off slow. I was picking up the paper and actually talking to people instead of reading. But once Nancy got on the boat, the mystery kicked off and it was all go. It's not a perfect book, George is a complete rip off of George from the Famous Five. Nancy al
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it
The Secret of the Wooden Lady is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 27th book in the Nancy Drew series.

When Carson Drew is asked to find the title papers for a friend's ship, Nancy Drew becomes involved in the case by trying to find out who is "haunting" the ship and the story behind the ship's missing figurehead.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a
Matthew Bandy
Aug 04, 2015 Matthew Bandy rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this to Kate, my 8 year old. It is the 3rd older type book that we have read out loud together. It was a great book and I looked forward to seeing where the story would take us - always a cliffhanger. Kate learned a lot of new words and ideas about the sea and ships from this book - like figurehead, mast, and so on. While we will be reading something else next, I plan on reading more Nancy Drew for our 3 girls in the coming years.
Emily
Nov 04, 2010 Emily added it
Shelves: 7th-grade
Nancy Drew is at it again. This time she is trying to help her dad's friend become the owner of the Bonny Scot the ship he has been renting. But in the begiining there were mysterious calls telling Nancy to stay way from ship.

Nancy as usual didn't listen and went to the ship anyway. They couldn't find history on the Bonny Scot so they were having trouble selling the ship. Then Nancy found out there were stowaways on the ship. Then a fire started Nancy still was looking for the real name of the B
Judy
Dec 24, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew books are a fun read. The good guys win, and the bad guys get caught. This one took place in Boston and Cape Cod, Massachusetts so that added to the fun of reading the book.
Eric Wood
Sep 13, 2015 Eric Wood rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable mystery, with pleny of intrigue and suspense!I also loved the setting, and that Nancy gets to investigate on an old clipper ship! 4 stars.
Sydney
Mar 13, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
there is so much adventure action and mystery in one book.ths probaly my favorite book of the nancy drew series
Jessi
May 20, 2010 Jessi rated it really liked it
Nancy's at it again with another mystery. In this one, she's trying to help a sea captain figure out the mystery of The Bonnie Scot. The captain has been renting, and would like to buy, this ship. But he can't purchase it until the provenance is cleared. Also, someone's been sneaking around on the ship and searching for something, but the captain isn't sure what.
Nancy get help from Bess and George as well as Burt, Ned, and Dave in this mystery that takes her to the East Coast and has her intera
Victoria Budkey
Dec 19, 2015 Victoria Budkey rated it really liked it
One of my favorites from the yellow-back series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Daniella
May 29, 2015 Koray Araz rated it really liked it
avx7
Kaethe
1988 summer

All the Nancy Drew titles sound like punchlines to dirty jokes.
Nicole Bennett
Mar 11, 2014 Nicole Bennett rated it really liked it
Quick, fun read.
Luisa
May 10, 2013 Luisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew, 2013
Nancy Drew always pulls through. This time she found a treasure hidden aboard a ship. The most interesting part of this mystery, to me, was that it was written in a distinctly different style than the other Nancy Drew books I've read--I guess a different ghost writer was working on this one. It always seems so funny to me that she is so good at absolutely everything, but I guess that's part of what makes her a great detective.
Frances Neilson
Jun 19, 2012 Frances Neilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-books
This was the first ever Nancy drew book I read; my mum brought it back for me from a second hand bookshop. My copy is a beautifully loved green hardback with only a silhouette of Nancy on the cover. After reading this one, I went on to read every single other ND book and have a bookshelf full of almost all of them. However, The Secret of the Wooden Lady will forever be my favourite.
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, children
A fun novel where Nancy must solve the true identity of a clipper ship as well as the mysterious location of its hidden treasure.
Miri
Apr 27, 2014 Miri rated it liked it
Nancy is helping her father on a case of an old clipper ship with a missing title, coming to the aid of an old friend, a sea captain who would like to buy the ship, the case is complicated by vandalism and stowaways hiding on the Bonnie Scot and the legend of the missing figurehead. What mysteries could this old ship hold?
  • The Crisscross Shadow (Hardy Boys, #32)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Trixie Belden and the Hudson River Mystery (Trixie Belden, #28)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)