Start by marking “The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew, #27)

The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew #27)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,740 ratings  ·  60 reviews
When Carson Drew is asked to find the title papers for a friend's ship, Nancy Drew becomes involved in the case by trying to find out who is "haunting" the ship and the story behind the ship's missing figurehead.
Published January 1st 1950 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Wooden Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Wooden Lady

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
38th out of 79 books — 77 voters
The Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Red Gate Farm by Carolyn KeeneNancy's Mysterious Letter by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn KeeneThe Clue in the Diary by Carolyn Keene
Everything Nancy Drew
38th out of 140 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
This is not the format I read; mine is the original text book and the updated one shown may have a different story. That being said, I haven't read this book since I was a pre-teen. I read it now in preparation for a convention I'm attending. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I got into the mystery.

Nancy and her friends, Bess and George, accompany Mr. Drew to Boston where a sea captain living on an old clipper ship has been bothered by prowlers. I loved all the old history about the cli
Kit Dunsmore
When I was a kid, I loved Nancy Drew. But it's been so long since I read one that I decided to see what they are really like (rather than go on what I remember them being like). I don't think I ever read this particular mystery before, but I did recognize lots of the details because they are same from book to book.

My impression: things happen FAST. Minimal descriptions, lots of lucky guessing on Nancy's part, and lots of stray "clues" that are sometimes really unlikely. I think when I was younge
Matthew
I recently reread this book after moving my book collection out of my mother's house. I read it probably many times as a child although I was really a fan of The Boxcar Children. And rereading this... it seems to make sense why.

This felt much more dated than The Boxcar Children. The attitudes toward women felt more sexist. These were older women than the characters in The Boxcar Children, but the women felt more delicate, even though they were the... heroes. They seemed to be very poor role mode
John Yelverton
The Nancy Drew mystery book series wins again with this great, thrilling mystery story.
Madalyn Walker
This is number 27 in the Nancy Drew series. In this adventure, this is mystery and suspense makes you want to continue reading. Carolyn Keene has out done herself once again. The text is about an eight-teen-year-old detective who will go to any lengths to find to bandit. Many readers would appreciate this book because of the amazing grammer that is found on every page. If I were you I would buy this book.
Lucy
I love reading Nancy Drew occasionally!

Ayanami Faerudo
I am aware that the author, Carolyn Keene, is just a pseudonym for a number of writers who wrote book in the Nancy Drew series. If you read the books from the beginning till the later books (the original one to sixty-four ones), you could discern the level of intricacy of the mysteries that Nancy and the gang encounter as well as how the characters were written.

Now, there are basic characteristics that the writers falls on when it comes to Nancy, George and Bess. Nancy is a smart/detective/Mary
Greta
High marks for imagery. There seemed to be something iconic about the wooden lady that brought this one to a higher level.
Redfox5
Nancy Drew would be pretty old now. Like in her 50s or 60s, I'm not so good at maths. I wonder if they ever did any books about her adult life. I wonder if she ever did become a detective?

Read this years ago and I liked it more now. It started off slow. I was picking up the paper and actually talking to people instead of reading. But once Nancy got on the boat, the mystery kicked off and it was all go. It's not a perfect book, George is a complete rip off of George from the Famous Five. Nancy al
Phe☽♃
The Secret of the Wooden Lady is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 27th book in the Nancy Drew series.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a
Matthew Bandy
I just finished reading this to Kate, my 8 year old. It is the 3rd older type book that we have read out loud together. It was a great book and I looked forward to seeing where the story would take us - always a cliffhanger. Kate learned a lot of new words and ideas about the sea and ships from this book - like figurehead, mast, and so on. While we will be reading something else next, I plan on reading more Nancy Drew for our 3 girls in the coming years.
Melanie
In the book before this one, George suddenly started saying "Hypers!" as an expletive or interjection. If she doesn't stop it, I'm going to quit reading because it is driving me CRAZY.

The girls are helping some guy on a ship, and he thinks the ship is haunted, but really it's full of thieves. One thief is pretty much a patsy though. And this one has decent suspense (are police ANYWHERE competent? They let the "dangerous criminal" return to the scene of the crime like 8 times and never catch him,
Emily
Nov 04, 2010 Emily added it
Shelves: 7th-grade
Nancy Drew is at it again. This time she is trying to help her dad's friend become the owner of the Bonny Scot the ship he has been renting. But in the begiining there were mysterious calls telling Nancy to stay way from ship.

Nancy as usual didn't listen and went to the ship anyway. They couldn't find history on the Bonny Scot so they were having trouble selling the ship. Then Nancy found out there were stowaways on the ship. Then a fire started Nancy still was looking for the real name of the B
Judy
Nancy Drew books are a fun read. The good guys win, and the bad guys get caught. This one took place in Boston and Cape Cod, Massachusetts so that added to the fun of reading the book.
Sydney
there is so much adventure action and mystery in one book.ths probaly my favorite book of the nancy drew series
Jessi
Nancy's at it again with another mystery. In this one, she's trying to help a sea captain figure out the mystery of The Bonnie Scot. The captain has been renting, and would like to buy, this ship. But he can't purchase it until the provenance is cleared. Also, someone's been sneaking around on the ship and searching for something, but the captain isn't sure what.
Nancy get help from Bess and George as well as Burt, Ned, and Dave in this mystery that takes her to the East Coast and has her intera
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Daniella
its a amazing book
Kaethe
1988 summer

All the Nancy Drew titles sound like punchlines to dirty jokes.
Nicole Bennett
Quick, fun read.
Luisa
Nancy Drew always pulls through. This time she found a treasure hidden aboard a ship. The most interesting part of this mystery, to me, was that it was written in a distinctly different style than the other Nancy Drew books I've read--I guess a different ghost writer was working on this one. It always seems so funny to me that she is so good at absolutely everything, but I guess that's part of what makes her a great detective.
Frances Neilson
This was the first ever Nancy drew book I read; my mum brought it back for me from a second hand bookshop. My copy is a beautifully loved green hardback with only a silhouette of Nancy on the cover. After reading this one, I went on to read every single other ND book and have a bookshelf full of almost all of them. However, The Secret of the Wooden Lady will forever be my favourite.
Stephanie
A fun novel where Nancy must solve the true identity of a clipper ship as well as the mysterious location of its hidden treasure.
Miri
Nancy is helping her father on a case of an old clipper ship with a missing title, coming to the aid of an old friend, a sea captain who would like to buy the ship, the case is complicated by vandalism and stowaways hiding on the Bonnie Scot and the legend of the missing figurehead. What mysteries could this old ship hold?
Ava Spach
This book was a very interesting mystery because of the history behind the ship on which Nancy, Bess, George and other people stayed on. This one is more about the mystery, not who caused it, which made it very good. At times it was a little slow, but overall I give it 4 stars! (duh)
Darlene
A blast from the past. I just loved Nancy Drew as a child. She had all the independence and freedom I was looking for - and was super smart to boot. This one is set in Boston and Cape Cod. It was a fun couple of hours.
Meadow
This was one of the better nancy drew plots, but then a lot of the plots are all the same. Every once in a while you need to take a break of Nancy Drew to appriciate them.
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)